WHAT IS "SPEAKING IN TONGUES" and the SIGNIFICANCE OF IT?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would simply just be a reference to the old testament, considering that is a written letter to the 7 churches in the Asia Minor, whom had the Old Testament, to check against this letter being written to them from John, would be my answer @JunChosen

Or simply a reference to Jesus in general... I wouldn't make it a proof of anything otherwise.

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 2.58.11 PM.png

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or simply a reference to Jesus in general... I wouldn't make it a proof of anything otherwise.
You are right of course. I merely, gave the example of Revelation 13:8 that the Book of Revelation cannot stand apart from the whole Bible.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 14:39 was still possible because the Bible was NOT yet complete.
Is the Word of God completely Alive within any man before all of it has been quickened to/in him by the Holy Spirit?
This must be read in light of 1 Corinthians 14:37.

To God Be The Glory
I simply testified to my own experience. It is the Way God has led me.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?"

A child of God should be able to teach and also be taught.

So tell me, what part of my OP did I mess up? Was I not faithful to the Word?
You said: "By that statement above, God ended the possibility of any further divine revelation, therefore ever since that day no one would ever "speak in a tongue," or "receive a vision,"

Compare your statement to the words of God - Acts and 1 Corinthians

Example: Acts 2:14-21
But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18And on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy.
19I will show wonders in heaven above
And signs in the earth beneath:
Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
20The sun shall be turned into darkness,
And the moon into blood,
Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.
21And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Shall be saved.’

1 Corinthians 1:1-9

Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

2To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

3Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

4I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, 5that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, 6even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, 7so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8who will also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Keturah and amadeus

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Revelation 22:18-19 is in reference to the book of Revelation only, how then can you understand Revelation 13:8, "....Lamb slain from the foundation of the world"?

So you see the Book of Revelation cannot stand apart from the Bible which is one cohesive whole.
God knew what man would do before he created him. God planed the plan of redemption before even creating Lucifer or Adam. In the end, heaven will be sinless forever with righteous and holy angels and people.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are describing what occurred at Pentecost and NOT the same occurrence that happened at the church of Corinth.

The occurrence at Corinth required an interpreter, whilst at Pentecost the occurrence was miraculous, where 15 or so foreign nationals heard the Gospel in their native tongue!

To God Be The Glory
Did it not answer your question sir:

WHAT IS "SPEAKING IN TONGUES" and the SIGNIFICANCE OF IT?​

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Revelation 22:18-19 is in reference to the book of Revelation only, how then can you understand Revelation 13:8, "....Lamb slain from the foundation of the world"?

So you see the Book of Revelation cannot stand alone apart from the Bible which is one cohesive whole.
YOUR ANSWER:

"God knew what man would do before he created him. God planed the plan of redemption before even creating Lucifer or Adam. In the end, heaven will be sinless forever with righteous and holy angels and people."

What I was trying to convey is that the Book of Revelation cannot stand alone apart from the Bible nor can we understand Rev. 13:8 without the Old Testament to guide us. After all, Jesus is not an animal. Please read my posts carefully before responding.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before the Bible was completed it was biblical for those at the church of Corinth to speak in a tongue. That was possible because God was still bringing revelation in that day. Individuals would receive a message from God in an unknown language and when that was interpreted it served to edify the congregation because it was a message from God, and effectively, it was an addition to the written word, which was an incomplete written word in that day. But when God came to the last chapter of the last book of the bible, we read in Revelation 22:18, and there He warned:

"...If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book (bible).

By that statement above, God ended the possibility of any further divine revelation, therefore ever since that day no one would ever "speak in a tongue," or "receive a vision," or "hear a voice" from God. God will NOT provide any addition to His word. Whatever phenomenon is going on today, we will know for certain that it is not from God and has nothing to do with the Gospel!!!

And, that is the crux of speaking in tongues.

To God Be The Glory
Screenshot_20230409-145146~2.png

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOUR ANSWER:

"God knew what man would do before he created him. God planed the plan of redemption before even creating Lucifer or Adam. In the end, heaven will be sinless forever with righteous and holy angels and people."

What I was trying to convey is that the Book of Revelation cannot stand alone apart from the Bible nor can we understand Rev. 13:8 without the Old Testament to guide us. After all, Jesus is not an animal. Please read my posts carefully before responding.
We have read your OP very carefully and compared what you said to what God says in His word.

We FULLY agree that Revelation does not stand alone from the entire Scriptures, beginning with Genesis and forward.

The very principle you seek to project from Revelation 22:18-19, you violate!!!

God says that the Spiritual Gifts, including 'tongues', will remain with the Body of Christ until the Day that the LORD Returns and we are "face to Face" with Christ - Acts and 1 Corinthians chapters 1, 12,13,14

You need to understand three things here:

Proverbs 30:5-6
Every word of God is pure;
He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
Do not add to His words,
Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.

AND

Revelation 22:14-15
Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by its gates.
But outside are the dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

AND

You have been shown from the Holy Scriptures that God says His Holy Spirit Baptism/Annointing with Gifts for the Bride/Body of Christ will not cease until His Second Coming and we are face to Face with our LORD & Savior Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Keturah

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the Word of God completely Alive within any man before all of it has been quickened to/in him by the Holy Spirit?
Most certainly! Especially to God's children even before eternity past and before the foundation of the world when we were saved.
I simply testified to my own experience. It is the Way God has led me.
I don't believe God will lead his children into unbelief, because "we walk by faith and not by sight."

To God Be The Glory

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tongues was their way of referring to other languages.

If you turn on the Jimmy Swaggart ministry from time to time you'll see his son jabber the same jibberish during one of his sermons.

JS not so much.
You speak AGAINST THAT OF WHICH YOU ...KNOW NOT !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: ButterflyJones

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have read your OP very carefully and compared what you said to what God says in His word.
If you had you would have concurred with me for I have NOT deviated from the word of God as you think I have.

The very principle you seek to project from Revelation 22:18-19, you violate!!!
Only to your vantage point because you do not understand the gist of the tongues phenomenon, which is subscribed in 1 Corinthians 13-14!
God says that the Spiritual Gifts, including 'tongues', will remain with the Body of Christ until the Day that the LORD Returns and we are "face to Face" with Christ - Acts and 1 Corinthians chapters 1, 12,13,14
Unbeknown to you, you have solved the above statements in
1 Corinthians 13:9 which reads:
"For we know (knowledge) in part and prophesy (prophecy) in part."
You have been shown from the Holy Scriptures that God says His Holy Spirit Baptism/Annointing with Gifts for the Bride/Body of Christ will not cease until His Second Coming and we are face to Face with our LORD & Savior Jesus Christ.
You are in error! Not knowing Scripture to claim that the gifts will not cease until His Second Coming!!!

Read and weep....
Charity never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall fail; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall vanish away. (1 Corinthians 13:8).

Note* the words "faileth" and "vanish away" are the same words. Note* too that "tongues," "prophecies," will be done away with.

Then Paul concludes the rest in verses 9-12 which are self explanatory.

To God Be The Glory

• Haha
Reactions: David in NJ

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most certainly! Especially to God's children even before eternity past and before the foundation of the world when we were saved.
I believe that God forknew, but men made the choices which caused them to lose the Way if they ever knew it.
I don't believe God will lead his children into unbelief, because "we walk by faith and not by sight."
God won't mislead them, but too many of them, I believe, choose not to follow Him.

Reactions: MatthewG

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had you would have concurred with me for I have NOT deviated from the word of God as you think I have.

Only to your vantage point because you do not understand the gist of the tongues phenomenon, which is subscribed in 1 Corinthians 13-14!

Unbeknown to you, you have solved the above statements in
1 Corinthians 13:9 which reads:
"For we know (knowledge) in part and prophesy (prophecy) in part."

You are in error! Not knowing Scripture to claim that the gifts will not cease until His Second Coming!!!

Read and weep....
Charity never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall fail; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall vanish away. (1 Corinthians 13:8).

Note* the words "faileth" and "vanish away" are the same words. Note* too that "tongues," "prophecies," will be done away with.

Then Paul concludes the rest in verses 9-12 which are self explanatory.

To God Be The Glory
Your response is hysterical and reveals much about your point of view of the scriptures.

Tell me, according to the Word of God - When do you believe 'tongues' has "failed" and "vanished away"?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that God forknew, but men made the choices which caused them to lose the Way if they ever knew it.
I hope you're pointing to Adam and Eve who were created GOOD. They are the only two people created who can make choices, and for the rest of mankind...."the Gates of Hell is upon them." as in ADAM ALL DIE!," "the Wages of Sin is Death."
God won't mislead them, but too many of them, I believe, choose not to follow Him.
There are many scripture references that seems to teach that man can have a part towards his salvation by "accepting" Jesus. But when reading the rest of Scripture we find that to be false.

The Bible is very clear. Jesus said: "I am the way, the truth, and the life," "nobody can (have power) come to me except the Father draw him!" John 6:44.

"There is none righteous no, not one." "There is none that seeketh after God!"

The above Scripture references, my friend, is the crux of the whole Bible.

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your response is hysterical and reveals much about your point of view of the scriptures.
I'm sure that's what the Pharisees said about Jesus. It does not phase me a bit if people have a different view of Scripture from me for I'm very confident I have the truth.
Tell me, according to the Word of God - When do you believe 'tongues' has "failed" and "vanished away"?
READ POST #33!!!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope you're pointing to Adam and Eve who were created GOOD. They are the only two people created who can make choices, and for the rest of mankind...."the Gates of Hell is upon them." as in ADAM ALL DIE!," "the Wages of Sin is Death."

And what about those who are born again of the Spirit? Can't we make good choices? What denomination are you that teaches that no one can make good choices?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure that's what the Pharisees said about Jesus. It does not phase me a bit if people have a different view of Scripture from me for I'm very confident I have the truth.

READ POST #33!!!
Your OP and your Post #33 is unbiblical.

Your rejection of God's commandments on the matter shows willful ignorance due to religious pride.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It tells you WHEN that will happen. So why can't you accept what is written.

Curious. When do you think tongues, knowledge and prophecy will cease?

Reactions: David in NJ