WHAT IS "SPEAKING IN TONGUES" and the SIGNIFICANCE OF IT?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what about those who are born again of the Spirit? Can't we make good choices? What denomination are you that teaches that no one can make good choices?
"Whosoever is born of God doth not sin!!! 1 John 3:9. However, this verse must be read in light of Romans Chapter 7.

To God Be The Glory

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Whosoever is born of God doth not sin!!! 1 John 3:9. However, this verse must be read in light of Romans Chapter 7.

To God Be The Glory
Why don't you read Romans 7 in CONTEXT for once in your life and start with verse 5. If you are taking any verses between 14-23 and applying them to yourself you may or may not be right depending on if you are Jewish or a Christian. Paul is talking about those Old Testament Jews UNDER THE LAW who are still in the flesh. Make sure you read verse 5. And THEN Romans 8:2 and Romans 8:1-9 in the NKJV to get all of verse 1. Once you do that and know that verses 14-25 is NOT ABOUT A CHRISTIAN, then come back and tell me about 1 John 3:9

Last edited:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your OP and your Post #33 is unbiblical.

Your rejection of God's commandments on the matter shows willful ignorance due to religious pride.
Please prove me wrong with biblical scriptures and NOT conjectures.

I am a child of God who can teach the truth as well as receive truth.

Just because you do not understand the OP does not mean it's unbiblical! Lol.

So far, all your commentaries are just conjectures and based on your opinions.

I point you again to 1 Corinthians 14:36:

"What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?"

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

i am not against you AND even BETTER is that Christ is for us

The Truth is for children = Matthew 18:1-5

God reveals His Truth unto "babes" - Matthew 11:25
At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.

We receive from God thru Faith = Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

God told us exactly when His Spiritual gifts will no longer be needed and they will "fade away" - 1 Corinthians 1:4-9

I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

While we wait for the Glorious Coming of our LORD Jesus Christ, the FATHER's desire is to adorn the Bride of Christ with Spiritual gifts.

Then, at Christ's Coming we will be transformed into His Glorious Image and we will be "Face to Face" with the LORD.

"Face to Face" is a Marriage term. It is when the Groom takes the Bride into Direct, Face to Face, Intimacy.

This is why the gifts fade away for that which is GLORIOUS will SHINE in and thru us from HIM.

Peace

Last edited:
Reactions: Keturah

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tge question should be, what WAS speaking in tongues, because such miraculous gifts have ceased. The bible says it was a sign to unbelievers and it was in earthly languages as evidenced on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2) when those unbelievers of various languages present, heard what was said in their own native tongues.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before the Bible was completed it was biblical for those at the church of Corinth to speak in a tongue. That was possible because God was still bringing revelation in that day. Individuals would receive a message from God in an unknown language and when that was interpreted it served to edify the congregation because it was a message from God, and effectively, it was an addition to the written word, which was an incomplete written word in that day. But when God came to the last chapter of the last book of the bible, we read in Revelation 22:18, and there He warned:

"...If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book (bible).

By that statement above, God ended the possibility of any further divine revelation, therefore ever since that day no one would ever "speak in a tongue," or "receive a vision," or "hear a voice" from God. God will NOT provide any addition to His word. Whatever phenomenon is going on today, we will know for certain that it is not from God and has nothing to do with the Gospel!!!

And, that is the crux of speaking in tongues.

To God Be The Glory

You misunderstand and are in error.

In error, because you contradict the book of Revelation and are in need of correction (if you can receive it), as the book itself declares a time of revelation beyond its writing only to come just prior to the sounding of the seventh angel...which is the fulfillment of being "led unto all truth" by the Holy Spirit as promised by Christ, that could not come to fruition until the time of "strong delusion" and great apostacy was fulfilled. Which time is now.

And misunderstanding, because you have not recognized the full purpose of tongues. If you will notice, at Pentecost everyone speaking as if drunk to bystanders was fully understood by those whom God had poured out His spirit upon, marking the beginning of the fulfilment of the prophecy of Joel. But then in Paul's letters he addresses the gift of tongues as needing to be interpreted. The very simple point that should be drawn from these somewhat different enactments both of which were orchestrated by God regarding "all flesh" (in scope), is that the Word of God in Spirit is only clear to those to whom it is given, and is otherwise gibberish to those to whom it is not given. For which the counsel and clarification from Paul first to the Jew and also to we the gentiles, is that the scriptures must be "spiritually discerned."

Which, YES, is greatly misrepresented by the church and many of its members.

Last edited:
Reactions: David in NJ

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope you're pointing to Adam and Eve who were created GOOD. They are the only two people created who can make choices, and for the rest of mankind...."the Gates of Hell is upon them." as in ADAM ALL DIE!," "the Wages of Sin is Death."

There are many scripture references that seems to teach that man can have a part towards his salvation by "accepting" Jesus. But when reading the rest of Scripture we find that to be false.

The Bible is very clear. Jesus said: "I am the way, the truth, and the life," "nobody can (have power) come to me except the Father draw him!" John 6:44.

"There is none righteous no, not one." "There is none that seeketh after God!"

The above Scripture references, my friend, is the crux of the whole Bible.

To God Be The Glory
I am a Bible believer, my friend. I believe what is written, but my understanding of it comes through the Holy Spirit when and if I am surrendering. Alone I certainly can do nothing good.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tge question should be, what WAS speaking in tongues, because such miraculous gifts have ceased. The bible says it was a sign to unbelievers and it was in earthly languages as evidenced on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2) when those unbelievers of various languages present, heard what was said in their own native tongues.
Scripture never said the spiritual gifts have ceased.

Scripture only says that they will cease and tells us exactly when that will happen = see Post #44

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just because you do not understand the OP does not mean it's unbiblical! Lol.

So far, all your commentaries are just conjectures and based on your opinions.

I point you again to 1 Corinthians 14:36:

"What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?"
Did you read Romans 7 starting with verse 5 like I asked you to in #42, that shows "being in the flesh" to be in the PAST once we are filled with the Spirit Romans 8:2 which says life in the Spirit frees us from the law of sin and death? Romans 7:14-25 is life STILL IN THE FLESH!!!!! Don't be deceived by teachers saying you will always be in the flesh as long as we are in these bodies. That is a DOCTRINE OF DEMONS AGAINST JESUS TAKING AWAY OUR DESIRE TO SIN.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Scripture never said the spiritual gifts have ceased.
Technically the cessation of three spiritual gifts (including tongues) was a prophecy (by Paul) to be fulfilled in the future. It was fulfilled when the Bible was completed. But there are many other spiritual gifts still in operation.

Reactions: JunChosen

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read Romans 7 starting with verse 5 like I asked you to in #42, that shows "being in the flesh" to be in the PAST once we are filled with the Spirit Romans 8:2 which says life in the Spirit frees us from the law of sin and death? Romans 7:14-25 is life STILL IN THE FLESH!!!!! Don't be deceived by teachers saying you will always be in the flesh as long as we are in these bodies. That is a DOCTRINE OF DEMONS AGAINST JESUS TAKING AWAY OUR DESIRE TO SIN.
That's right. Romans 8:2 was the object why Jesus went to the cross that is to free us from our sins and the sting of death (The wages of sin is death!)

In Romans 7:14-25, Paul was speaking of himself as a saved person, that delights in the Law of God (v. 22). But he sees another law in his body warring against the law of his mind (soul, v.23) that brings captivity to the law of sin.
Consider 1 John 3:9.

And he cries out: "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? Then gives thanks to God through Jesus Christ."

And Paul continues, "So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin! in other words, Paul is saying that after his conversion he still lusted after sin in his body, although in his soul essence he does not sin any longer! (1 John 3:9), because he is born again.

Are you saved and do you still sin after you became saved?

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before the Bible was completed it was biblical for those at the church of Corinth to speak in a tongue. That was possible because God was still bringing revelation in that day. Individuals would receive a message from God in an unknown language and when that was interpreted it served to edify the congregation because it was a message from God, and effectively, it was an addition to the written word, which was an incomplete written word in that day. But when God came to the last chapter of the last book of the bible, we read in Revelation 22:18, and there He warned:

"...If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book (bible).

By that statement above, God ended the possibility of any further divine revelation, therefore ever since that day no one would ever "speak in a tongue," or "receive a vision," or "hear a voice" from God. God will NOT provide any addition to His word. Whatever phenomenon is going on today, we will know for certain that it is not from God and has nothing to do with the Gospel!!!

And, that is the crux of speaking in tongues.

To God Be The Glory
Do you believe that God never speaks to you? Or does He speak to your heart? Do you know His voice?

Much love!

Reactions: David in NJ

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My preferences in denominations is Pentecostal Holiness. And the core beliefs are...

Saved - As easy as "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." - Romans 10:13
Sanctified - A wonderful spirit of Christ keeps us from sin
Holy Ghost - My beliefs is that everyone receives this uniquely. Some speak in tongues, others are blessed with other gifts, as the Apostle Paul said... "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" - 1 Corinthians 12:30

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that God never speaks to you?
Only through His Word. and NEVER audibly!!!
Or does He speak to your heart?
Most definitely through His Word and through the Holy Spirit!
Do you know His voice?
Of course!!! And I can't be wrong because I am His sheep. Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice. and I know them, and they follow me."

What has your post to do with speaking in tongues?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course!!! And I can't be wrong because I am His sheep. Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice. and I know them, and they follow me."

What has your post to do with speaking in tongues?
I'm truly glad you do hear Him, and I fully expected so. How is it then that you give as your reason that any divine revelation has ceased, and therefore with it speaking in tongues? If He speaks to your heart by His Spirit, this is His speaking apart from the Bible.

Don't misunderstand me . . . I believe part of knowing His voice is knowing He will never never conflict with His written Word.

There is no explicit statement defining "when the perfect is come". The closest I can find is in Ephesians 4,

Ephesians 4:13 KJV
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

which speaks, as I understand it, towards the maturity of the body of Christ, the church.

This is not, though, an explicit statement. Conjecture that "the perfect" that is to come means the completed Bible also lacks any explicit statement.

Ephesians four does, though, give us a possible statement to follow. In that Jesus gave "some prophets" for the equipping of the church, that IS explicitly defined as being for the church reaching it's full maturity in the stature of Christ.

If prophecy ceases, than the prophet would also cease, doesn't that go together? These prophets are given until the full maturity of the church. Has that come?

Much love!

Last edited:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no explicit statement defining "when the perfect is come". The closest I can find is in Ephesians 4,
Better if you read 1 Corinthians 13:9-13.
If He speaks to your heart by His Spirit, this is His speaking apart from the Bible.
I beg to differ. God will NEVER speak to His children apart from His Word. God abides by His own rules and will never break it. Revelation 22:18-19.
If prophecy ceases, than the prophet would also cease, doesn't that go together? These prophets are given until the full maturity of the church. Has that come?
NO! All believers, in a sense, are prophets. A prophet is one who is sent to prophesy the word of God as they are commanded also by Jesus to go into all the world to preach His Gospel. Matthew 28:19-20.

So you see, believers will continue to preach/teach the Gospel until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. (Romans 11:25)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @JunChosen

Can God speak to his children by the spirit?

The bible is great, but is it greater than the spirit God gives to those who have faith in him?

Indeed! This is like what Jesus said:

Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘Whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple, he is obliged to perform it.’ 17 Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold? 18 And, ‘Whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gift that is on it, he is obliged to perform it.’ Matthew 23:16-18​

Which is greater, the scriptures, or the Spirit which inspired them...and is the Holy Spirit now dead? No wonder He called them "fools."

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Technically the cessation of three spiritual gifts (including tongues) was a prophecy (by Paul) to be fulfilled in the future. It was fulfilled when the Bible was completed. But there are many other spiritual gifts still in operation.
Good Morning Brother,
i thank you for your prayers as i had hip replacement surgery yesterday. Main concern now is to pray against blood clots.

YES, the Apostle Paul did prophecy as to exactly when the Spiritual Gifts will fade away - 1 Cor ch1 and ch12,13,14

Enoch was a really 'Hip Guy' for he walked with God, side by side.

Peace