What is the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it makes sense! Who wrote it and with what authority? How can a man come to understand any part of it correctly? What is correctly when it comes to that?
Hi Amad, seems like it has been some time since we conversed. I commend you on your sincere questions, very good reasonable questions I might add. I will do my best to answer them for you sir:
Who wrote it and with what authority?
The Bible states specifically that God is the author: (2 Timothy 3:16) . . .All Scripture is inspired of God . . .
(2 Peter 1:21) . . .prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit.

So the authority was from God. Point #2 applies to the authority as well Amad.

How can a man come to understand any part of it correctly?
Jesus told his gathered apostles just prior to his return to heaven: Jesus assigned: (Matthew 28:19, 20) . . .Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Those disciples of course would make disciples, who would make disciples, and would continue to do so until the good news was spread to all nations: (Matthew 24:14) 14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

This of course might seem overwhelming, but Jesus said he would send a helper, yes that same holy spirit:
(John 14:25, 26) 25 “I have spoken these things to you while I am still with you. 26 But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach you all things and bring back to your minds all the things I told you.
God sent that helper to them on Pentecost of 33 CE Amad, the account is found in Acts chap 2.

We are kind of privileged living in this time period because, we are in the last days and God over time has revealed His truths progressively Pro 4:18 and: (Daniel 12:4) . . .“As for you, Daniel, keep the words secret, and seal up the book until the time of the end. Many will rove about, and the true knowledge will become abundant.”

What is correctly when it comes to that?
So here is where you come into play, as seen previously Jesus sent his disciples, until they reached all to God's satisfaction and then the end would come. We are living in the last days, near the end of them in fact, and as you likely realize all but the remotest of areas have access to God's word.
So no doubt everyone you personally know has been reached by one of Christs disciples, thus given the opportunity to know God and obey the gospel of Jesus 2 Thes 1:8.

But when you are in fact reached, you have to determine if what the individual is saying is truth or not. The question you asked, and the Ethiopian eunich asked as well: (Acts 8:30, 31) 30 Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: “Do you actually know what you are reading?” 31 He said: “Really, how could I ever do so unless someone guided me?” So he urged Philip to get on and sit down with him.
So God sees to it you are reached, and His people will guide you, and help you understand, but so will satans. So it is up to you personally to determine if what that individual states as being truth. You and I know Paul was an anointed Apostle personally picked by Jesus, but even in that we don't want to accept his teachings as being gospel, take note of how the Beroeans took Paul's message: (Acts 17:10, 11) . . .the brothers sent both Paul and Silas to Be·roeʹa. On arriving, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

Can you see how this comes into play sir? We need to examine what is being taught, and prove the legitimacy of those with what the Bible really teaches.

This can get real lengthy, so I am going to stop here, but if you desire more about how we learn, please ask me to expound on this point tomorrow Amad.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Amad, seems like it has been some time since we conversed. I commend you on your sincere questions, very good reasonable questions I might add. I will do my best to answer them for you sir:
Poor health on my part left me physically unable to spend much time on here. Of course, my age is also working against me. But..., I believe, that God will make a Way to Him for anyone, who really wants to approach Him more closely! What a mighty God we serve!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible states specifically that God is the author: (2 Timothy 3:16) . . .All Scripture is inspired of God . . .
(2 Peter 1:21) . . .prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit.

So the authority was from God. Point #2 applies to the authority as well Amad.
We are in agreement here.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are kind of privileged living in this time period because, we are in the last days and God over time has revealed His truths progressively Pro 4:18 and: (Daniel 12:4) . . .“As for you, Daniel, keep the words secret, and seal up the book until the time of the end. Many will rove about, and the true knowledge will become abundant.”
Should not knowledge, true knowledge or knowledge from God, be revealed progressively to each of us if we growing as Jesus grew? Is not this to be us becoming more like Him during all of the time we have remaining to us? So then at what point do you suppose a person, or a group of persons, will be able, in his belief in Jesus, to do greater things even than Jesus?
So here is where you come into play, as seen previously Jesus sent his disciples, until they reached all to God's satisfaction and then the end would come. We are living in the last days, near the end of them in fact, and as you likely realize all but the remotest of areas have access to God's word.
The last days of all men? Perhaps they are, but for me is it not my own last days and what I do with them that will make the final difference to me in the eyes of God?
But when you are in fact reached, you have to determine if what the individual is saying is truth or not. The question you asked, and the Ethiopian eunich asked as well: (Acts 8:30, 31) 30 Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: “Do you actually know what you are reading?” 31 He said: “Really, how could I ever do so unless someone guided me?” So he urged Philip to get on and sit down with him.
So God sees to it you are reached, and His people will guide you, and help you understand, but so will satans. So it is up to you personally to determine if what that individual states as being truth.
My personally determination alone has led me astray more than one time over the 79 years of my natural life. Along the way, I learned that I needed help. Help from the wrong person can be a disastrous thing. Jesus told us this:

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me " John 14:6

And also this:

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

You and I know Paul was an anointed Apostle personally picked by Jesus, but even in that we don't want to accept his teachings as being gospel, take note of how the Beroeans took Paul's message: (Acts 17:10, 11) . . .the brothers sent both Paul and Silas to Be·roeʹa. On arriving, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.
Yes... carefully examining the scriptures ourselves... while also leaning very heavily on God and asking for His help.
Can you see how this comes into play sir? We need to examine what is being taught, and prove the legitimacy of those with what the Bible really teaches.
How does one prove that legitimacy?
This can get real lengthy, so I am going to stop here, but if you desire more about how we learn, please ask me to expound on this point tomorrow Amad.
I am listening my friend. Let us rejoice in the day that the Lord hath made. I hope to be here tomorrow.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
B Basic
I Instruction
B Before
L Life
E Everlasting

Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense! Who wrote it and with what authority? How can a man come to understand any part of it correctly? What is correctly when it comes to that?

The whole Bible is fascinating of course, but people should stay focussed on the gospels more than any other part of it because-
Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith" (Heb 12:2)

That's why Paul had to warn people not to get bogged down in long-winded intense theology-
Paul said - "I am worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)

Reactions: dev553344

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole Bible is fascinating of course, but people should stay focussed on the gospels more than any other part of it because-
Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith" (Heb 12:2)

That's why Paul had to warn people not to get bogged down in long-winded intense theology-
Paul said - "I am worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)
Keep our eyes indeed, on Jesus, that is on the Word of God. What part of Body of Christ is the most important part... to you, or to me, or to God?

1co 12:18But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
1co 12:19And if they were all one member, where were the body?
1co 12:20But now are they many members, yet but one body.
1co 12:21And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
1co 12:22Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
1co 12:23And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
1co 12:24For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:
1co 12:25That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Keep our eyes indeed, on Jesus, that is on the Word of God. What part of Body of Christ is the most important part... to you, or to me, or to God?

Yes, if people can't find Jesus in a typical slimline gospel like this one, all the hardcore intense study of the entire bible won't help them..:)

rel-gosp-john.jpg

Jesus said the same thing to the priestly classes of his time-
"You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life." (John 5:39-40)

In fact I'm sure satan wants people to think they MUST study the whole bible to find Jesus, but all it'll do is tire their minds and give him the chance to move in because he has tired minds for breakfast.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, if people can't find Jesus in a typical slimline gospel like this one, all the hardcore intense study of the entire bible won't help them..:)
(...)
That is no truth, and Jesus himself demonstrated this when he convinced his disciples that everything that had happened to him was already written in the ancient Jewish Scriptures.

Luke 24:44 He then said to them: “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was yet with you, that all the things written about me in the Law of Moses and in the Prophets and Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then he opened up their minds fully to grasp the meaning of the Scriptures, 46 and he said to them, “This is what is written: that the Christ would suffer and rise from among the dead on the third day, 47 and on the basis of his name, repentance for forgiveness of sins would be preached in all the nations—starting out from Jerusalem. 48 You are to be witnesses of these things. 49 And look! I am sending upon you what my Father promised. You, though, stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.”

His disciples did the same.

No Christian should ignore the Hebrew Scriptures, because they contain the cause of the problem that should have been solved with the coming of the Messiah (Gen. 3:15). They also contain key principles about what pleases or displeases Jehovah, the father of Jesus Christ (2 Tim. 3:16,17).

John 4:21 Jesus said to her: “Believe me, woman, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, because salvation begins with the Jews. ..."

Rom. 3:29 Or is he the God of the Jews only? Is he not also the God of people of the nations? Yes, also of people of the nations. 30 Since God is one, he will declare circumcised people righteous as a result of faith and uncircumcised people righteous by means of their faith.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..I'm sure satan wants people to think they MUST study the whole bible to find Jesus, but all it'll do is tire their minds and give him the chance to move in because he has tired minds for breakfast.

That is no truth, and Jesus himself demonstrated this when he convinced his disciples that everything that had happened to him was already written in the ancient Jewish Scriptures..

Yes, Jesus often quoted from the Old T, but if God wanted us to stick with the Old, he wouldn't have sent Jesus to give us the New..:)
Jesus said-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Poor health on my part left me physically unable to spend much time on here. Of course, my age is also working against me. But..., I believe, that God will make a Way to Him for anyone, who really wants to approach Him more closely! What a mighty God we serve!
Thats right my friend , the LORD is with the lambs through it all . Let the KING be praised and thanked . praise be to GOD
for his wonderful gift given us in Christ JESUS .

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are prayed for, dear brother. Praise the Lord.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

View attachment 28377

Jesus said the same thing to the priestly classes of his time-
"You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life." (John 5:39-40)

In fact I'm sure satan wants people to think they MUST study the whole bible to find Jesus, but all it'll do is tire their minds and give him the chance to move in because he has tired minds for breakfast.
Good point.
---
The Gospel of John (& Gospel Tracts) are effective/helpful..
- in unreached regions..around the world.
---
I have been involved in working with Christian leaders..
- in 'unreached & restricted countries.'

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
B Basic
I Instruction
B Before
L Life
E Everlasting

Make sense?
I do like your acronym. :) How do you like this one. All men will know you are My disciples by your love and the 2 great commandments to love God and your neighbor. Love never fails.

B Believers
I Inspired
B Book
L Loving
E Everyone

:)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir, the verses we covered showed that beyond a reasonable doubt. Jesus didn't send people out for nothing, he sent them for the same reason he was sent: Lu 4:43 But he said unto them, I must preach the good tidings of the kingdom of God to the other cities also: for therefore was I sent.

So it is up to the people what they do when they are reached. God's responsibility has ended at that point, and it becomes on our shoulders whether we will get on board or not.

Reactions: amadeus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should not knowledge, true knowledge or knowledge from God, be revealed progressively to each of us if we growing as Jesus grew? Is not this to be us becoming more like Him during all of the time we have remaining to us? So then at what point do you suppose a person, or a group of persons, will be able, in his belief in Jesus, to do greater things even than Jesus?

The last days of all men? Perhaps they are, but for me is it not my own last days and what I do with them that will make the final difference to me in the eyes of God?

My personally determination alone has led me astray more than one time over the 79 years of my natural life. Along the way, I learned that I needed help. Help from the wrong person can be a disastrous thing. Jesus told us this:

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me " John 14:6

And also this:

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

Yes... carefully examining the scriptures ourselves... while also leaning very heavily on God and asking for His help.

I am listening my friend. Let us rejoice in the day that the Lord hath made. I hope to be here tomorrow.

And also this:

It is so encouraging that you have lots of questions Amad, I know I did. I will do my best to cover them sir.
Should not knowledge, true knowledge or knowledge from God, be revealed progressively to each of us if we growing as Jesus grew?
Yes sir, that is why I posted Pro 4:18 and Daniel 12:4 as referrences. God reveals things progressively.
Is not this to be us becoming more like Him during all of the time we have remaining to us?
Yes, Christ was the example we try to imitate, we begin as an infant, and press on to maturity but we strive to imitate Jesus as best we can. 1pe 2:2 as newborn babes, long for the spiritual milk which is without guile, that ye may grow thereby unto salvation;
(Hebrews 6:1) . . .now that we have moved beyond the primary doctrine about the Christ, let us press on to maturity. . .
(1 Peter 2:21) . . .Christ suffered for you, leaving a model for you to follow his steps closely.

So then at what point do you suppose a person, or a group of persons, will be able, in his belief in Jesus, to do greater things even than Jesus?
Jesus said that we would sir: Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father.
So what are these works? Keep in mind the assignment, Jesus told his apostles that he would send a helper to them and that they would: Ac 1:8 But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
Jesus' ministry was directed to God's people of the day, they were the ones Jesus was sent to, but his apostles would make disciples, who would make disciples, etc until they spread that Kingdom message that Jesus gave us, to the most distant parts of the earth sir. We see that today, virtually everyone on the face of the earth has access to at least parts of the Bible in their own language.

Reactions: amadeus