What is the correct view on genesis

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
The way I understand it is people believe because God saved them. And others do not believe because he didn't save them. That is, he saves only those who believe enough to want salvation and doesn't save those who do not.
Why should I believe your version of another’s?

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
The way I understand it is people believe because God saved them. And others do not believe because he didn't save them. That is, he saves only those who believe enough to want salvation and doesn't save those who do not.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
o offered to hear you out on priv . its beginning to appear your side is the only one which matters ..there a good possibility you had a miscarriage at the altar you get the spirit the moment you get saved not baptized

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
o offered to hear you out on priv . its beginning to appear your side is the only one which matters ..there a good possibility you had a miscarriage at the altar you get the spirit the moment you get saved not baptized
It seems to me christians don’t know how to handle a person that loses their faith. I think it scares them. They like to go with well they were never christians in the first place. When they have no reason to believe that is the case. Because the alternative is the possibility of there is no god.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me christians don’t know how to handle a person that loses their faith. I think it scares them. They like to go with well they were never christians in the first place. When they have no reason to believe that is the case. Because the alternative is the possibility of there is no god.
No scare here. In fact, some of my favorite people are ex-theists. I'm cool talking to whoever.

However, I do readily acknowledge personalities do vary and this is not the case for everyone.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
No scare here. In fact, some of my favorite people are ex-theists. I'm cool talking to whoever.

However, I do readily acknowledge personalities do vary and this is not the case for everyone.
the thing is they don’t believe me for the reasons I give for not being a Christian anymore. I yell them it’s simply that there is insufficient evidence for belief. They talk about not receiving the Holy Spirit, or being angry with god or not having the correct understanding etc. I am not asking for 100% proof just enough reasonable evidence. I have not found sufficient evidence for belief in 20 years of studying.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I think I have misunderstood you. I thought you had been saying you are not a believer!
I am an atheist. I was asked why I thought I received the Holy Spirit when I was a Christian. That was my answer. I don’t believe it but the Bible does promise the Holy Spirit at baptism.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the thing is they don’t believe me for the reasons I give for not being a Christian anymore. I yell them it’s simply that there is insufficient evidence for belief. They talk about not receiving the Holy Spirit, or being angry with god or not having the correct understanding etc. I am not asking for 100% proof just enough reasonable evidence. I have not found sufficient evidence for belief in 20 years of studying.
I'm not a yelling person. NOT a fan of yelling at all. And I totally acknowledge people's beliefs of all sorts. No reason to get attacking at all.

But, one thing I am a fan of is thorough studying/reflection, which does of course include epistemology (how we know what we know). I do admire somebody who's has a well thought out position (whatever that position may be) and is willing to have a respectful/thoughtful discussion about things. Of course that doesn't mean I agree with their position, but I do admire thorough/thoughtful/respectful methodology.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I'm not a yelling person. NOT a fan of yelling at all. And I totally acknowledge people's beliefs of all sorts. No reason to get attacking at all.

But, one thing I am a fan of is thorough studying/reflection, which does of course include epistemology (how we know what we know). I do admire somebody who's has a well thought out position (whatever that position may be) and is willing to have a respectful/thoughtful discussion about things. Of course that doesn't mean I agree with their position, but I do admire thorough/thoughtful/respectful methodology.
That was a typo. I meant tell.

I have no position other than there is a lack of sufficient evidence god exists. You show me evidence and I will evaluate it and tell you why I agree or disagree with it.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was a typo. I meant tell.

I have no position other than there is a lack of sufficient evidence god exists. You show me evidence and I will evaluate it and tell you why I agree or disagree with it.
That's your position, and I acknowledge it.
I also acknowledge the epistemology you're bringing to the table with your position here.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Most be be concerned because of Hebrews 6:4-6

For how can those who abandon their faith be brought back to repent again? They were once in God's light; they tasted heaven's gift and received their share of the Holy Spirit; they knew from experience that God's word is good, and they had felt the powers of the coming age. And then they abandoned their faith! It is impossible to bring them back to repent again, because they are again crucifying the Son of God and exposing him to public shame.

So some believe that one can not come back again. Being a Liturgical Christian I believe there is always hope when a person is alive.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am an atheist. I was asked why I thought I received the Holy Spirit when I was a Christian. That was my answer. I don’t believe it but the Bible does promise the Holy Spirit at baptism.

My first thought was that you were being intentionally disingenuous, but maybe you just misheard me. I didn't ask why you thought you had received the Holy Spirit. I asked you how you knew you had received the Holy Spirit, because I took you at your word.

I personally do not believe you received the Holy Spirit. I think there are many who go to church who have yet to receive Him. I think it is why they fall away.

I don't think it is possible to receive Gods Spirit and to then not believe He exists. I think it is possible to get angry and ignore Him or to not progress spiritually past an infant, but to actually meet Him and have intimate relations with Him and to then say you do not believe He exists would be impossible.

To have the seed of the gospel planted but not receive the Spirit because it is snatched away - that I do believe is possible.

Reactions: brakelite

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
My first thought was that you were being intentionally disingenuous, but maybe you just misheard me. I didn't ask why you thought you had received the Holy Spirit. I asked you how you knew you had received the Holy Spirit, because I took you at your word.

I personally do not believe you received the Holy Spirit. I think there are many who go to church who have yet to receive Him. I think it is why they fall away.

I don't think it is possible to receive Gods Spirit and to then not believe He exists. I think it is possible to get angry and ignore Him or to not progress spiritually past an infant, but to actually meet Him and have intimate relations with Him and to then say you do not believe He exists would be impossible.

To have the seed of the gospel planted but not receive the Spirit because it is snatched away - that I do believe is possible.
I did answer your question. The Bible promised it at baptism, does god not keep his promises? That is how I know I received him.

I do not believe god doesn’t exist, I don’t think there is sufficient evidence for a belief in a god.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did answer your question. The Bible promised it at baptism, does god not keep his promises? That is how I know I received him.

I do not believe god doesn’t exist, I don’t think there is sufficient evidence for a belief in a god.

Um...not exactly. The bible does not promise the Holy Spirit at water baptism. Receiving the Holy Spirit IS the true Baptism. It is not something you just reckon has happened. You know it has happened. Some have a more gradual and less dramatic knowing, but they do know it has happened and that God communicates with them. I received a water baptism decades before I received the Spirit.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Um...not exactly. The bible does not promise the Holy Spirit at water baptism. Receiving the Holy Spirit IS the true Baptism. It is not something you just reckon has happened. You know it has happened. Some have a more gradual and less dramatic knowing, but they do know it has happened and that God communicates with them. I received a water baptism decades before I received the Spirit.
Acts 2:39-40 says differently. You can say my interpretation is wrong etc etc. but there is no way to know who is right.

Reactions: bbyrd009

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You yourself were baptized in water but never received the Holy Spirit, yet you are insisting that anyone baptized in water has received the Holy Spirit. It's a bit bizarre.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
scare me know makes me sad but since your so brave to assume it scares us..i have doubts you was ever saved ..you had head salvation ..i go by scripture

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Were you baptised as a baby, or as a believer?