What is the grace that saves?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

(Ephesians 2:8-10)

I tried asking this question on the Christian Debate forum, but it turned in to a--well, debate. Guess I should not be surprised!

I'm looking for a thoughtful discussion about what grace really is, since it seems to be the thing that will save me. Any ideas?

:)

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Grace is the passing over by GOD of the consequences of sin. That grace is undeserved, but given anyways so that GOD may be glorified for being merciful.

The consequence of the children of Israel's sin (i.e., death) was passed over by GOD on the night of Passover when the death angel passed over the dwellings of those who had obediently applied the blood of a lamb to their door posts and lentils.

And so it is today that the consequence of our sin (death) is passed over by GOD through Christ our Passover when we have obediently faith in the blood of the lamb of GOD to cover the consequence of our sin.

The children of Israel's deliverance from the slavery of Egypt was a historical event not to be repeated ever again. And so it is with us who have been delivered from slavery to sin.

There is of course another aspect to this that I won't get into at the moment...

trivialtheology

Apr 9, 2013
There are those who believe that God in His mercy and grace will not permit anyone to be lost; consequently, they feel no need for seeking salvation. It is true that the most joyous thought a convicted sinner can have is that God has offered to give him salvation. It is necessary, however, for us to understand just how one is saved by the grace of God. By definition, grace is unmerited favor. God looked upon man as he had sinned and as he was with out hope in the world. Although man did not deserve it, God formulated a plan whereby man could be saved from his lost condition. Jesus expressed this in these words, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John, Chapter 3, verse 16). Thus, man has access to the grace of God through Jesus Christ. @http://www.bible.ca/g-grace.htm

spockrates

Apr 13, 2012
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
Grace is the passing over by GOD of the consequences of sin. That grace is undeserved, but given anyways so that GOD may be glorified for being merciful.

The consequence of the children of Israel's sin (i.e., death) was passed over by GOD on the night of Passover when the death angel passed over the dwellings of those who had obediently applied the blood of a lamb to their door posts and lentils.

And so it is today that the consequence of our sin (death) is passed over by GOD through Christ our Passover when we have obediently faith in the blood of the lamb of GOD to cover the consequence of our sin.

The children of Israel's deliverance from the slavery of Egypt was a historical event not to be repeated ever again. And so it is with us who have been delivered from slavery to sin.

There is of course another aspect to this that I won't get into at the moment...
Good to hear from you again, my friend!

:)

Yes, I can see how it might be grace is passing over--or perhaps forgiving the consequences of one's sin--if all we had to go on was Ephesians 2. But when I read this passage, I'm not so sure that is all grace is:

9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

(1 Corinthians 15)

Paul states that it was, "the grace of God within" him that worked hard to accomplish the things he did. Did he mean God's passing over him is what worked hard within him, or do you think he meant something else?

trivialtheology said:
There are those who believe that God in His mercy and grace will not permit anyone to be lost; consequently, they feel no need for seeking salvation. It is true that the most joyous thought a convicted sinner can have is that God has offered to give him salvation. It is necessary, however, for us to understand just how one is saved by the grace of God. By definition, grace is unmerited favor. God looked upon man as he had sinned and as he was with out hope in the world. Although man did not deserve it, God formulated a plan whereby man could be saved from his lost condition. Jesus expressed this in these words, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John, Chapter 3, verse 16). Thus, man has access to the grace of God through Jesus Christ. @http://www.bible.ca/g-grace.htm
Thanks for replying, trivial. Yes, it seems there's no denying grace is God's undeserved love, but I wonder if love is all grace is. Consider the passage you cited, and the words that Jesus spoke immediately following it:

19 "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God."

(John 3)

I mean, I do believe in--or trust--Christ, but I'm thinking that believing in him requires believing what he said. So I wonder what loving the light and coming into the light and living by the truth has to do with receiving, or keeping this gift of life without end. Maybe you have some insight that will help me?