What is the High Calling in Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 3:14 KJV
14) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

This word, prize, is used one other place in the NT:

1 Corinthians 9:24-25 KJV
24) Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25) And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

This is used as a simile for obtaining an incorruptible crown.

You only receive the crown at the end of the race.

Much love!

Reactions: Marilyn C

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I hear what you are saying although this is not accurate. We are called to walk with the Lord in Zion....which is an ongoing walk in the Spirit. The third heaven is for a temporary visit to the throne room of God. The throne room of God is for He that is holy holy holy.

The 3 heavens are the physical universe, Zion in the Spirit, and the throne room of God. No one can remain in the third heaven and still remain on Earth. Zion is where the saints walk with God. We are to seek to walk where Jesus abides with us...and where we can abide (remain) with Him.

Hi Episkopos,

Now remember we are being made like unto the Lord, and we are His Body. So with our new spiritual body we will be with the Lord on His throne in the third heaven. Heavenly Zion is the symbolic name for the Lord`s rulership in the highest. (Ps. 2: 6)

Reactions: marks

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Episkopos,

Now remember we are being made like unto the Lord, and we are His Body. So with our new spiritual body we will be with the Lord on His throne in the third heaven. Heavenly Zion is the symbolic name for the Lord`s rulership in the highest. (Ps. 2: 6)

1. Zion is meant to walk in right now. The downgrading of Christianity to just a world religion has seen the fall of the saints...looking only towards a "Valhalla" type of afterlife. Paganism has mixed into the gospel and affected how we read the bible. An afterlife is NOT the victory over the devil that Jesus won at His death and resurrection. Only the Bride of Christ will overcome as Jesus did in this life.

2. Zion (New Jerusalem) will come down to earth in the next age and God Himself will dwell with His people. Being before the throne of God is not the same as being on the throne. The third heaven is meant for petitions not residence. We are the house of God...but His throne-room is exclusive to Him. We abide in Zion as we abide in Christ. From there there is victory over sin, the devil and the world.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Philippians 3:14 KJV
14) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

This word, prize, is used one other place in the NT:

1 Corinthians 9:24-25 KJV
24) Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25) And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

This is used as a simile for obtaining an incorruptible crown.

You only receive the crown at the end of the race.

Much love!

Yes...but a crown for having walked like every other person? Only one wins the prize....means that very few will walk at the LEVEL that is the high calling and penetrate into the kingdom realm to abide in Christ in a personal way. Very few are even in the race. The prize should not be confused with the high calling that leads to receiving it for having run the race and won. Paul sought to WIN Christ. How many modern believers even know what that means? Basically none. The high calling is there but needs to be rediscovered. But modern believers are spoiled and carnally minded...since they have been taught that the high calling is for an after-life. So they continue to slumber.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Zion is meant to walk in right now.
I think what is needed is to show this in a Scriptural way. Your use of "Zion" is not how many people think of and speak of Zion.

If you mean this as a description of living a spiritual life, you can show that. If you mean this as a description of interacting in the celestial realm, you can show that. Or to clarify what you mean by "walking in Zion", and show this in the Bible.

Scripturally, if we are reborn, we are in Christ now. This is very plainly stated in the Bible, Romans 6 for one example. Do you disagree with that?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes...but a crown for having walked like every other person?
The way I read the Bible, not all people will receive crowns.

Personally, I'm thinking of these crowns the way Paul spoke of the crown of rejoicing,

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 KJV
19) For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
20) For ye are our glory and joy.

Crowned with Righteousness. Crowned with Rejoicing. Crowned with Life. Like that.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think what is needed is to show this in a Scriptural way. Your use of "Zion" is not how many people think of and speak of Zion.

If you mean this as a description of living a spiritual life, you can show that. If you mean this as a description of interacting in the celestial realm, you can show that. Or to clarify what you mean by "walking in Zion", and show this in the Bible.

Scripturally, if we are reborn, we are in Christ now. This is very plainly stated in the Bible, Romans 6 for one example. Do you disagree with that?

Much love!
The Bible is more subtle than that. We can be in Christ without abiding in Christ. Otherwise Jesus would not have to spit out the Laodiceans from His mouth. I have shown this before on a number of occasions..that we can be in Christ and NOT bear eternal fruit. To do so requires the further step of entering into Christ as an individual. We are born again by Christ entering into us in a personal way. That puts us in Christ in a corporate way. Salvation into the kingdom walk (in Zion) requires the further step of (personally) entering into Christ and abiding where He is...in Him. So then the Christian WAY requires two steps.

Notice the distinction...as subtle as it may seem to be...in Jesus' words. Most will miss this...

John 15:1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me (corporately) that bears not fruit he takes away (personally): and every branch that bears fruit, he purges it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except you abide in me.
5 I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me (personally), and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing."

In the red above there are many who are in Christ that bear no eternal fruit and are rejected. That would cover...say...most of modern Christendom (of course people think they are safe...peace, peace, and such).

Will people fear and turn to God? No. It is already written that many will be rejected who believe honestly that being born again is enough. For those who are wiser they realize that being born again makes them EQUIVALENT to the Israelites in the wilderness. Not BETTER, as many suppose. The new birth is something that God did...just like making an Israelite to be born into Israel. There is no merit in this.

We live in the rich West...and Jesus warned us how hard it is for us rich people to enter into the kingdom realm. Will people realize that and humble themselves. No.

And yes...walking in Zion is walking in the kingdom realm of the Spirit. I inter-use both OT and NT wordings to show how equal the ways of God truly are.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seeing beyond what eyes can see....into the eternal reality. And BEING in a place where there is perfect peace, love, and the power over the flesh.
And this describes your life now?

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That puts us in Christ in a corporate way. Salvation into the kingdom walk (in Zion) requires the further step of (personally) entering into Christ and abiding where He is...in Him. So then the Christian WAY requires two steps.

I do see something like your "two steps" described in the Bible.

Ephesians 4:20-25 KJV
20) But ye have not so learned Christ;
21) If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22) That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
25) Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

Romans 12:1-2 KJV
1) I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Romans 6:3-12 KJV
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7) For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8) Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9) Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10) For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11) Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12) Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

I find passages such as these tell us we have already been freed from the mastery of the flesh, and that we are now alive to God and dead to sin. That as our minds are renewed we live accordingly.

Galatians 5:22-25 KJV
22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

That the Spirit produces these characteristics in our lives.

We can live in the Spirit, but not walk in the Spirit. Those who live in the Spirit are admonished to walk in the Spirit.

This is the Biblical terminology.

Much love!

Reactions: mailmandan

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice the distinction...as subtle as it may seem to be...in Jesus' words. Most will miss this...

John 15:1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me (corporately) that bears not fruit he takes away (personally): and every branch that bears fruit, he purges it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except you abide in me.
5 I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me (personally), and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing."

Corporately/Personally?

We are each baptized personally into Christ.

Romans 6:3-7 KJV
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

In the red above there are many who are in Christ that bear no eternal fruit and are rejected.
Actually this passage does not in fact say they are rejected, it tells us they were lifted away, like, picked up and carried away.

Salvation into the kingdom walk (in Zion) requires the further step of (personally) entering into Christ and abiding where He is...in Him.

How does that happen exactly?

What I find in the Bible is teaching of our minds being renewed, so that we stop thinking, and therefore feeling and acting in fleshy ways, and being to think/feel/act in spiritual ways. We can do this because we've already been recreated, only, we need to become trained/practiced to deny fleshy things and ways in favor to the new spiritual ways, Christ's ways.

2 Peter 1:2-4 KJV
2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

What is it exactly that we are waiting for?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 3:13-16 KJV
13) Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
15) Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
16) Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.

As Paul counts himself among the mature, this upward call is not spiritual maturity itself.

This is holding a state of mind where we neither applaud nor condemn ourselves, where we look only forward, where we are constantly reaching higher as we know God is always calling us higher, the "upward call", or "calling that is above".

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Corporately/Personally?

We are each baptized personally into Christ.

No, we are each baptized in water in Jesus name. To be baptized into Christ personally we need an Acts experience of entering into Christ...personally. Peter and John were summoned from Jerusalem to go down to Samaria to lay hands on the new converts who were baptized in Jesus name only...but not yet in the Spirit.

Romans 6:3-7 KJV
Are you free from the power of sin? The above verses are assumed by many but experienced by few. Are you really crucified to this world? Do you walk in the Spirit ?

So many of these testimonies of Paul are assumed and presumed to mean something religious for the outer man rather than sought for and experienced in the inner man.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, we are each baptized in water in Jesus name. To be baptized into Christ personally we need an Acts experience of entering into Christ...personally. Peter and John were summoned from Jerusalem to go down to Samaria to lay hands on the new converts who were baptized in Jesus name only...but not yet in the Spirit.
Again,

3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ (not water) were baptized into his death?
9) Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10) For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11) Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12) Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

This is not "water baptism".

Ephesians 1:3 KJV
3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Treating the Acts narrative passages as definitive beyond that occurrance is not supported.

If you were to interpret Scripture accordingly, we're left with looking at all the different ways God brought people into saving faith in that time, and what, expect that our conversion will mirror each of theirs? It doesn't work that way.

We should receive Paul's teaching, for instance, without trying to somehow pit the Samaritans' conversion somehow "against" it.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you free from the power of sin? The above verses are assumed by many but experienced by few. Are you really crucified to this world? Do you walk in the Spirit ?

So many of these testimonies of Paul are assumed and presumed to mean something religious for the outer man rather than sought for and experienced in the inner man.

You call these "testimonies of Paul", however, that's not how he wrote.

Romans 6:3-11 KJV

This is generalized teaching, not personal testimony.

This passage may be considered personal testimony:

Galatians 2:20 KJV
20) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

As Paul makes personal application here to what he taught in his letter to Rome.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
assumed and presumed to mean something religious for the outer man rather than sought for and experienced in the inner man.

Let's for the sake of discussion affirm that we are speaking in terms of the inner man, and not coming to some false religious posturing.

I'm talking about Biblical conversion and transformation from a fleshy being to a spirit being, and then coming to stop living as that fleshy being, and continue living the life of that spiritual being.

We've been remade to be like Christ, but we have to grow into it. God can give us a boost into that Higher Ground, but He much of the time allows slower processes to bring about our maturity.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Again,

3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ (not water) were baptized into his death?

Again..."as many of us as" means "whoever has." Whoever has is NOT a generalized religious covering for all who claim to be Christians.

This passage was written 2,000 years ago when SOME of the believers indeed experienced the higher walk. Even then, not everyone had or would.

Reading skills are required to demarcate the different possibilities that Paul is describing. It is like saying...those of us who have blue eyes....and not everyone has blue eyes. Those of us who have been baptized INTO Christ...well that is very rare indeed in our time.

Being baptized into His death is exactly what Paul experienced when he said..."I am crucified with Christ."

This is not a reformist religious position...but an actual experience of grace...the power of the living God...on him (personally).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading skills are required to demarcate the different possibilities that Paul is describing. It is like saying...those of us who have blue eyes....and not everyone has blue eyes. Those of us who have been baptized INTO Christ...
I agree. Either there is a real baptism into Christ, or there is not.
It matters nothing what we say to ourselves or others if we have not actually been baptized into Christ.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let's for the sake of discussion affirm that we are speaking in terms of the inner man, and not coming to some false religious posturing.

To be honest we must do the exact opposite. We must assume we are NOT living from the inner man but from the outer man. Then, it is possible to actually put off the outer man. So we tend to think backwards. Only as we repent from our present course can we turn to Christ with our hearts and be healed.
I'm talking about Biblical conversion and transformation from a fleshy being to a spirit being, and then coming to stop living as that fleshy being, and continue living the life of that spiritual being.

We've been remade to be like Christ, but we have to grow into it. God can give us a boost into that Higher Ground, but He much of the time allows slower processes to bring about our maturity.

Much love!

There is a big difference between progressing slowly in righteousness over a lifetime...and walking in holiness (the higher ground).

What I don't ever see is anyone that is able to make that distinction. Instead teachers of error propose a "process" of sanctification" since they have no idea about what it means to walk in the Spirit. And if the teachers are that blind...imagine the pew warmers.