What makes any given branch of Christianity an authority over my life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
brakelite said:
Despite the fact that we have so many Bibles which do differ in some important aspects, there is sufficient information within scripture to come to a working knowledge of the way to salvation. That way results in a relationship with the original author, Who by His Spirit will guide the honest seeker to further revelation of truth and His will for life.
Not having the scripture as the final authority to truth risks one being "tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine", such as was the result of rejecting scripture in the early church and using the magisterium of Rome as final authority. The Roman church teaches that tradition trumps scripture, if the church says so, leaving the final word to mortal man. This resulted in the belief, held to this very day, that it is acceptable, even essential to the well-being of the church, that heretics and 'schismatics' may be tortured, and destroyed, if the end justifies the means.
The other extreme is relying on ones own interpretation to discern truth. Not being willing to submit to experience, wise counsel, and the agreement of those in leadership can lead to all manner of wild ideas and error, no less dangerous that what took place in Rome.
The balance is a combination of relationship, trusting in God to give understanding to what scripture is saying, and being humble enough to admit that others may have a better understanding.
A wonderful way I have found to discover truth is a small group, 4 or 5, sitting around the table with Bibles and concordance, and having at it. Prayer, study, prayer, investigation, trusting in the scripture to interpret itself, goes a long long way to establish comprehension. Not taking our opinion to the Bible and seeking to support what we already believe, but allowing the Bible to form our opinion. Then, and only then, we search out the church that best agrees with what we believe to be truth. If our search is honest, our study and seeking for the kingdom and God's righteousness our supreme goal, God will surely lead us to the right church.
I believe that we must be like those noble Bereans, searching the scriptures to see if these things are so.

Remember, when that was written, the Bible as we know it did not exist yet.
Something to think about....

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
I believe that we must be like those noble Bereans, searching the scriptures to see if these things are so.

Remember, when that was written, the Bible as we know it did not exist yet.
Something to think about....
Maybe not, but as Jews, they had the LXX and some of the Apostles letters, so pretty close.

B

brakelite

We live in perilous times. Fundamentalism, or believing in the fundamental doctrines of faith to the exclusion of all others, is now commonly viewed as fanaticism, and trust me, will soon be viewed as Christian terrorism. The vast majority of professing Christians today are uniting under the banner of ecumenism for the sake of world peace, and they all view those who
  • Believe the Bible is infallible truth, or for example a literal 6 day creation, (John 17:17)
  • Believe in the life,death and resurrection of Christ as truth, (John 14:6)
  • Believe in the law of God as truth, (Psalm 119:151, John 14:15)
as being divisive, anti-unity, schismatic, heretical, even mentally unstable. The future is being set up to accommodate a single world religious system that views all the above points, not as truth, but as allegorical.
  • The stories of the Bible are no longer literal, they are merely 'life lessons' for the spiritually advanced and enlightened. The church leaders and teachers are the only ones qualified to interpret what these lessons truly mean.
  • It has been blasphemously declared by some ecumenical groups that they do not believe in zombies, referring to the resurrection. The way of salvation is not by grace, but by good works, a personal Savior is now redundant, and it is the church itself who decides who is righteous and who is damned.The occultic 'Christ-consciousness' of those such as Oprah Winfrey is now being held up as the savior of mankind, and anyone who opposes such is spreading hate, division, and is offensive to all loving human beings.
  • Even in evangelical churches the laws of God are now lightly set aside in favor of tradition. No longer are God's commandments the benchmark of righteousness, but rather a man-made non-committal attempt to 'do ones best' without recourse to the commandments. Those who choose to obey God's laws are viewed as legalists and fanatics, with all manner of excuses made to avoid obedience. The Sabbath/Sunday controversy is the prime example of this.
Armageddon is not a war between Russia and Israel. It is not a world war involving political foes. Matthew 24:9 tells us who it is between, Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake. and Revelation 12:17 makes it clear what the final confrontation is all about And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
If any here rejects any of the above truths, those being the Bible as the literal word of God, salvation by the blood of Christ in grace alone through faith, and the laws of God as being eternal and set in stone, all Biblical definitions of Truth, then you are setting yourself up as being a part of the fallen church, Babylon the Great, and will be part and parcel of the final great apostasy now in the making. Not only so, but you will also be declaring yourselves as opposers to truth, and be at war against God's true people. By the grace and mercy of God there is yet time to take the right side, but time is short. As we speak the two sides are forming along those specific lines above. One side will have the scriptures as their foundation of truth and doctrine, the other will surrender to Rome, will honor her Sunday sabbath, bow to her idols, trust in her indulgences, accept her teachings on theistic evolution, refuse to accept Christ as coming in the flesh, and even though you may not be consciously aware of it, be a part of the Antichrist.
These may sound like tough words, to some even heretical, certainly divisive, but the times in which we live are indeed perilous, and the truth needs to be spoken aloud.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
brakelite said:
We live in perilous times. Fundamentalism, or believing in the fundamental doctrines of faith to the exclusion of all others, is now commonly viewed as fanaticism, and trust me, will soon be viewed as Christian terrorism. The vast majority of professing Christians today are uniting under the banner of ecumenism for the sake of world peace, and they all view those who
  • Believe the Bible is infallible truth, or for example a literal 6 day creation, (John 17:17)
  • Believe in the life,death and resurrection of Christ as truth, (John 14:6)
  • Believe in the law of God as truth, (Psalm 119:151, John 14:15)
as being divisive, anti-unity, schismatic, heretical, even mentally unstable. The future is being set up to accommodate a single world religious system that views all the above points, not as truth, but as allegorical.
  • The stories of the Bible are no longer literal, they are merely 'life lessons' for the spiritually advanced and enlightened. The church leaders and teachers are the only ones qualified to interpret what these lessons truly mean.
  • It has been blasphemously declared by some ecumenical groups that they do not believe in zombies, referring to the resurrection. The way of salvation is not by grace, but by good works, a personal Savior is now redundant, and it is the church itself who decides who is righteous and who is damned.The occultic 'Christ-consciousness' of those such as Oprah Winfrey is now being held up as the savior of mankind, and anyone who opposes such is spreading hate, division, and is offensive to all loving human beings.
  • Even in evangelical churches the laws of God are now lightly set aside in favor of tradition. No longer are God's commandments the benchmark of righteousness, but rather a man-made non-committal attempt to 'do ones best' without recourse to the commandments. Those who choose to obey God's laws are viewed as legalists and fanatics, with all manner of excuses made to avoid obedience. The Sabbath/Sunday controversy is the prime example of this.
Armageddon is not a war between Russia and Israel. It is not a world war involving political foes. Matthew 24:9 tells us who it is between, Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake. and Revelation 12:17 makes it clear what the final confrontation is all about And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
If any here rejects any of the above truths, those being the Bible as the literal word of God, salvation by the blood of Christ in grace alone through faith, and the laws of God as being eternal and set in stone, all Biblical definitions of Truth, then you are setting yourself up as being a part of the fallen church, Babylon the Great, and will be part and parcel of the final great apostasy now in the making. Not only so, but you will also be declaring yourselves as opposers to truth, and be at war against God's true people. By the grace and mercy of God there is yet time to take the right side, but time is short. As we speak the two sides are forming along those specific lines above. One side will have the scriptures as their foundation of truth and doctrine, the other will surrender to Rome, will honor her Sunday sabbath, bow to her idols, trust in her indulgences, accept her teachings on theistic evolution, refuse to accept Christ as coming in the flesh, and even though you may not be consciously aware of it, be a part of the Antichrist.
These may sound like tough words, to some even heretical, certainly divisive, but the times in which we live are indeed perilous, and the truth needs to be spoken aloud.
Check out these scriptures:

Dan 7:21 I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them;

Rev 13:7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

(hint: You will need to go and read them in context. Don't let them scare you too badly...this is not the end of the story....)

B

brakelite

The Barrd said:
Check out these scriptures:

Dan 7:21 I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them;

Rev 13:7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

(hint: You will need to go and read them in context. Don't let them scare you too badly...this is not the end of the story....)
I am very familiar with those verses, and yes, they absolutely concur with the theme I was presenting. There is such a wrong and warped view of the end times....it is forgotten who is the true enemy of the devil...it isn't Israel, it isn't America, it isn't Islam...it is those who choose to keep God's commandments by faith in the power of the Spirit. If any need to be convinced that this is true, just go to any Christian forum and see who it is that is most attacked and vilified...it is the Sabbath keeper...it is the ones who promote sola scriptura...it is those who uphold righteousness and holiness.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
brakelite said:
I am very familiar with those verses, and yes, they absolutely concur with the theme I was presenting. There is such a wrong and warped view of the end times....it is forgotten who is the true enemy of the devil...it isn't Israel, it isn't America, it isn't Islam...it is those who choose to keep God's commandments by faith in the power of the Spirit. If any need to be convinced that this is true, just go to any Christian forum and see who it is that is most attacked and vilified...it is the Sabbath keeper...it is the ones who promote sola scriptura...it is those who uphold righteousness and holiness.
Yes, and those who dare to speak out against such things as "gay marriage" or abortion, will also come in for their share of abuse from their "brothers and sisters". It's really sad, but, honestly, we should have expected it. Jesus did warn us.
Still, one doesn't expect the attack to come from within the church, herself...

2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Ti 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

I don't know about you, Brakelite...but it looks to me as if this prophecy is coming to pass right before our eyes...

Here is another scripture for you to consider:

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

(Once again, you'll need to read it in context, my friend....but I think you already know this one as well.
I write for those who may need this information....)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
...it is the Sabbath keeper...it is the ones who promote sola scriptura
And that is how you know the ones not in Christ for they have given up Him for there own way.

(Heb 4:2) For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
(Heb 4:3) For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
(Heb 4:4) For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

And so those who are in Christ rest from there own works as God did on the seventh day.

So simple

As for sola scripture,

it is by Christ alone for He is the Word of God, in him there is only truth for He is the truth.

In all His Love

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
The Barrd said:
Peter had his say, and James listened....and then Paul also had his say, and James listened.
And then James spoke...and the decision was final.
Now, I've heard this referred to as a dispute between Paul and Peter, but I don't really see that here, either.
What I do see is that, at this time, the church in Jerusalem was thought of as the central authority, and that church was being led by James, the brother of Jesus.
As time passed, and the church grew, it seems that each church was more or less it's own authority. If they answered to anyone, it would be Paul, whose letters of instruction have come down to us, and are regarded by many as instructions for our churches in our own time.
I just do not see Peter as ever having been the final authority for the church in Acts, let alone the voice of Jesus Christ. I can't quite picture the Peter I read about in the Bible as a pope...

Peter was CLEARLY speaking for everyone at the meeting when he said "we believe". Then everyone fell silent and Paul/Barnabas start talking about miracles performed, which was not the subject of their discussion, because the discussion was over because Peter made the decision what they believe in the matter. Then James is CLEARLY re-enforcing what Peter had already declared when he said "Simeon hath declared".

Now, my own opinion, as I have already stated, is that it is Jesus Christ who is the final authority for the Christian...no church, nor any church leader may usurp that authority. We each must answer to our Lord, Jesus Christ, Who is the Head of the Church.

So what Church was Jesus talking about when he said "....on this rock I will build MY CHURCH"?

Or when scripture says to take your differences to the CHURCH to be settled? BTW....That's what they were doing in Jerusalem in their debate. They brought their differences to the Church of Jerusalem where they all debated the matter and when the matter was settled it was binding upon all Christians. According to The Barrd JAMES made the final decision in Jerusalem. Did James usurp the authority of Jesus when he made that decision in Jerusalem?

You also wrote, "If they answered to anyone, it would be Paul, whose letters of instruction have come down to us, and are regarded by many as instructions for our churches in our own time." So was James or Paul the leader of the Church at that time? If Paul was the leader of the church why did he go to Jerusalem where James and Peter were at? He should have just written a "letter of instruction" to them and settled the matter!!

Respectfully....Tom55

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
tom55 said:
Peter had his say, and James listened....and then Paul also had his say, and James listened.
And then James spoke...and the decision was final.
Now, I've heard this referred to as a dispute between Paul and Peter, but I don't really see that here, either.
What I do see is that, at this time, the church in Jerusalem was thought of as the central authority, and that church was being led by James, the brother of Jesus.
As time passed, and the church grew, it seems that each church was more or less it's own authority. If they answered to anyone, it would be Paul, whose letters of instruction have come down to us, and are regarded by many as instructions for our churches in our own time.
I just do not see Peter as ever having been the final authority for the church in Acts, let alone the voice of Jesus Christ. I can't quite picture the Peter I read about in the Bible as a pope...

Peter was CLEARLY speaking for everyone at the meeting when he said "we believe". Then everyone fell silent and Paul/Barnabas start talking about miracles performed, which was not the subject of their discussion, because the discussion was over because Peter made the decision what they believe in the matter. Then James is CLEARLY re-enforcing what Peter had already declared when he said "Simeon hath declared".

Now, my own opinion, as I have already stated, is that it is Jesus Christ who is the final authority for the Christian...no church, nor any church leader may usurp that authority. We each must answer to our Lord, Jesus Christ, Who is the Head of the Church.

So what Church was Jesus talking about when he said "....on this rock I will build MY CHURCH"?

Or when scripture says to take your differences to the CHURCH to be settled? BTW....That's what they were doing in Jerusalem in their debate. They brought their differences to the Church of Jerusalem where they all debated the matter and when the matter was settled it was binding upon all Christians. According to The Barrd JAMES made the final decision in Jerusalem. Did James usurp the authority of Jesus when he made that decision in Jerusalem?

You also wrote, "If they answered to anyone, it would be Paul, whose letters of instruction have come down to us, and are regarded by many as instructions for our churches in our own time." So was James or Paul the leader of the Church at that time? If Paul was the leader of the church why did he go to Jerusalem where James and Peter were at? He should have just written a "letter of instruction" to them and settled the matter!!

Respectfully....Tom55
In my humble opinion, for what little it may be worth, Jesus did not build any "denomination". His Church consists of all of those who love Him with all their hearts and all their minds and all their strength, and who struggle to obey Him. His sheep hear His voice and He knows them...a stranger's voice they will not hear. These are scattered through these "denominations", or perhaps some of them have simply stopped trying to find Jesus in any church.

Again, I don't see any of these men as having "the final authority" over the church.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
In my humble opinion, for what little it may be worth, Jesus did not build any "denomination". His Church consists of all of those who love Him with all their hearts and all their minds and all their strength, and who struggle to obey Him. His sheep hear His voice and He knows them...a stranger's voice they will not hear. These are scattered through these "denominations", or perhaps some of them have simply stopped trying to find Jesus in any church.

Again, I don't see any of these men as having "the final authority" over the church.
As painful as it is to admit this.. and believe me, its painful, I actually agree with this. I even read it a few times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding it. ;)

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Born_Again said:
As painful as it is to admit this.. and believe me, its painful, I actually agree with this. I even read it a few times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding it. ;)
Possibly you do not know me quite as well as you thought you did. :p I'm really not such a bad ol' gal, honest!

Then, again, it's Christmas...maybe we're both feeling just a bit more generous than usual. :wub:
Or maybe that pain your feeling is from a bit of underdone potato... :wacko:

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Possibly you do not know me quite as well as you thought you did. :p I'm really not such a bad ol' gal, honest!

Then, again, it's Christmas...maybe we're both feeling just a bit more generous than usual. :wub:
Or maybe that pain your feeling is from a bit of underdone potato... :wacko:
Well it would actually be bad Fajita Chicken and rice if that is indeed the case. Hehe :p

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
The Barrd said:
In my humble opinion, for what little it may be worth, Jesus did not build any "denomination". His Church consists of all of those who love Him with all their hearts and all their minds and all their strength, and who struggle to obey Him. His sheep hear His voice and He knows them...a stranger's voice they will not hear. These are scattered through these "denominations", or perhaps some of them have simply stopped trying to find Jesus in any church. Again, I don't see any of these men as having "the final authority" over the church.

I apologize. I must have misunderstood what you were saying when you talked about Paul’s letters of instruction (aka scripture) and how they are regarded by many as instructions for the churches in our own time. I suspect they would have been instructions for the churches in his time also and for all time since all scripture is God breathed. I kind of thought we were in agreement when you said that James spoke on the matter and the decision was final; indicating he made the final decision. With both the Paul and James analogy you suggested (and I agree) someONE has the final authority to loose and bind. So who is that someone? Christ passed down his authority to the apostles (ability to loose and bind, forgive sins or retain sins) via his Church. The Church that he promised us when he said on this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it. If that authority that was passed down to the apostles has been revoked or stopped upon the death of the apostles or disappeared somehow then it sounds like the gates of hell did prevail against it and His authority is gone and Satan won. So, in my humble opinion, the authority is still here, with man, on this earth. If you, The Barrd, are saying it is gone and Satan has won I have to ask you: When did His authority via His church end? We have been instructed to take our differences to the Church to be settled by the Church. So which Church? If the Church consists of “all of those who love Him….” Who do you and I go to so we can settle this dispute? Or the questions over baptism? Or is communion his real body and blood or just a symbol? Or the OSAS belief? As you have said before we have 30,000 different churches which means different teachings from the same bible. If the bible is the book of truth then WHO translates that truth? Did God abandon us? Or should we do like the apostles did and hold a council of the Church elders to settle our differences and make binding upon all Christians what they decide? Which Church has the authority to do this? The Mormons? Baptist? Pentecostal? Westboro Baptist Church? Catholics? Orthodox?

B

brakelite

Actually I suggest everyone at that Jerusalem meeting had some input, all having a say and sharing their combined understanding as the Spirit gave guidance...what James was doing was merely giving voice to what had been mutually agreed upon by everyone at the meeting. James was not being the boss and lording it over the others...that was not, is not, the Christian way, and any organization who does that is working contrary to the instructions of Christ Himself.

Matt. 20:25 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

There was never any intention on Christ's part for anyone in His church to have authority over another. Such a one claiming authority is Antichrist...replacing the true leader of the church with a counterfeit.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I searched the Catechism website for "Deuterocanonical does not mean Apocryphal, but simply 'later added to the canon." and could not find what you are talking about. Could you be more specific so I can research this more?

I took this from a quote out of the beginning of my Oxford Annotated copy of the Apocrypha. In the introduction there are a few sections explaining the background of these books. On page iv there is a section that says,
Modern Roman Catholic scholars commonly employ a distinction introduced by Sixtus of Sienna in 1566 to designate the two groups of books. The terms "protocanonical" and "deuterocanonical" are used to signify respectively those books of Scripture that were recieved by the entire Church from the beginning as inspired, and those whose inspiration came to be recognized later, after the matter had been disputed by certain Fathers and local churches. Thus Roman Catholics accpet as fully canonical those books and parts of books that Protestants call the Apocrypha (except the Prayer of Manessah and 1 and 2 Esdras, which both groups regard as apocryphal). In short, as a popular Roman Catholic Catechism puts it, "Deuterocanonical does not mean Apocryphal, but simply 'later added to the canon.'"
I think it is also important to note that none of the authors in the books of the New Testament makes a direct quote form any of the fifteen books of the Apocrypha whereas the other 39 books of the Hebrew canon are quoted frequently. I think this is very important because it is clear that some of the authors used the Septuagint as their source for quoting those books. I find this highly suspicious that there would be such access to these works by the early writers and yet none of them would quote from these books. While some allusions are made, no direct quotes ever come from these books.

From what I have read they didn't need an "official ruling" until what had always been generally accepted was challenged by Luther. Kind of like the early Christians generally always believed that Mary was assumed into heaven and they celebrated that day in August. The Church didn't make it official (dogma) until the almost 2000 years later (1950). They always believed it, it just took a long time to make it "official". Kind of like two people living together for 25 years and they and everyone else consider themselves married. They then go and decide to make it "official" at the local courthouse. Nothing really changed. They just now have a piece of paper that says it's official even though it had been in practice for 25 years.
I just do not think this is historically accurate. These books were clearly debated throughout the early church and even among the Jews. There never seems to be a universal acceptance of them, and even information from RCC sources admits they were recognized later as canoncial (which implies they were not necessarily recognized as such previously). For instance, figures like Jerome, Eusebius, Athanasius, Cyril of Jerusalem, Gregory of Nazianzus, Amphilochius and Epiphanius saw a distinction between the Hebrew canon and the other books. There are some documents from some areas around the 400s that embrace these books as Scripture. Yet there are also prominent ecclesiastical writers from earlier centuries that expressed doubts such as Gregory the Great, Walafrid Strabo, Hugh of St. Victor, Hugh of St. Cher and Nicholas of Lyra that were influenced by the authority of Jerome that these books were to be disputed.

As for the issue in Acts 15: It is likely that, while Peter was the prominent authority of the Apostles, the local churches had their own autonomous authority. Thus, not even Paul or Peter were authoritarians in the Church in Jerusalem. Since it was likely that Peter traveled frequently to share the Gospel (as did Paul), this is why Peter was not the leader in Jerusalem. To me, this shows not only the importance of local church leadership but a great respect for the Holy Spirit's work through these local leaders. Peter didnt come into town and take over because he was an Apostle, nor did Paul. I think we see this in the book of Romans and 1 & 2 Corinthians, etc. that the local church authority was respected even by the Apostles. Thus, I see no biblical justification for one bishop usurping the authority of another simply because the prominence of their city or some title they hold. I think this was more of a political move later in the life of the Church that does not reflect the ecclesiology of the early church that respected local church autonomy.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
Wormwood said:

I took this from a quote out of the beginning of my Oxford Annotated copy of the Apocrypha. In the introduction there are a few sections explaining the background of these books. On page iv there is a section that says,

I think it is also important to note that none of the authors in the books of the New Testament makes a direct quote form any of the fifteen books of the Apocrypha whereas the other 39 books of the Hebrew canon are quoted frequently. I think this is very important because it is clear that some of the authors used the Septuagint as their source for quoting those books. I find this highly suspicious that there would be such access to these works by the early writers and yet none of them would quote from these books. While some allusions are made, no direct quotes ever come from these books.

That's a bit different than what you wrote: Even the Roman Catholic Catechism says, "Deuterocanonical does not mean Apocryphal, but simply 'later added to the canon." You allegedly quoted the Catechism but now you are saying you got it from the Oxford Annotated copy of the Apocrypha? Maybe I'm confused!!

I just do not think this is historically accurate. These books were clearly debated throughout the early church and even among the Jews. There never seems to be a universal acceptance of them, and even information from RCC sources admits they were recognized later as canoncial (which implies they were not necessarily recognized as such previously). For instance, figures like Jerome, Eusebius, Athanasius, Cyril of Jerusalem, Gregory of Nazianzus, Amphilochius and Epiphanius saw a distinction between the Hebrew canon and the other books. There are some documents from some areas around the 400s that embrace these books as Scripture. Yet there are also prominent ecclesiastical writers from earlier centuries that expressed doubts such as Gregory the Great, Walafrid Strabo, Hugh of St. Victor, Hugh of St. Cher and Nicholas of Lyra that were influenced by the authority of Jerome that these books were to be disputed.

Read about The Council of Hippo and Carthage (1200 years before Trent) if you want to find out what is "historically accurate". Just because some individual early church fathers didn't all agree to what should be canonized doesn't mean The Church (a group of men) hadn't agreed to it. It also doesn't mean they (Cyril, Jerome, Eusebius etc.) weren't great men, saints, whatever you want to call them just because they were wrong. If there had to be 100% agreement on everything then nothing would ever be agreed to. That's why SOMEONE has to have authority to make these decisions. I don't understand how for 1200 years Christians had X number of books in the bible they considered God breathed and then when Martin Luther came around all of a sudden God changed his mind and decided Luther got it right and the Church got it wrong. Why is Martin Luther right? If he is right then can't anybody be right?? If, as you WORMWOOD said, These books were clearly debated throughout the early church and even among the Jews" then how can WE or Luther say which books belong in the OT if the Jews couldn't even decide? (Historically you are right. The Jews had at least three different, what we call, OT books)

As for the issue in Acts 15: It is likely that, while Peter was the prominent authority of the Apostles, the local churches had their own autonomous authority. Thus, not even Paul or Peter were authoritarians in the Church in Jerusalem. Since it was likely that Peter traveled frequently to share the Gospel (as did Paul), this is why Peter was not the leader in Jerusalem. To me, this shows not only the importance of local church leadership but a great respect for the Holy Spirit's work through these local leaders. Peter didnt come into town and take over because he was an Apostle, nor did Paul. I think we see this in the book of Romans and 1 & 2 Corinthians, etc. that the local church authority was respected even by the Apostles. Thus, I see no biblical justification for one bishop usurping the authority of another simply because the prominence of their city or some title they hold. I think this was more of a political move later in the life of the Church that does not reflect the ecclesiology of the early church that respected local church autonomy.

If each church "had their own autonomous authority" then why did they gather together in Acts 15 to decide what all the Christians at that time should be taught on the matter? Shouldn't each Church have decided what they wanted to teach (according to your analogy)? Maybe each church was able to decide who they would promote to leadership roles or money collectors or whatever jobs they had at that time inside each individual church? Is that possible? Was that their autonomy?

It wasn't, as you suggest, "..one bishop usurping the authority of another simply because the prominence of their city or some title they hold". They CLEARLY got together and talked about their differences and then SOMEONE got up and made the final decision. It was a group decision, with some dissenting. There are some good books/web-sites where you can read about the early Apostolic Fathers and how they decided things.

Respectfully....Tom55

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
brakelite said:
Actually I suggest everyone at that Jerusalem meeting had some input, all having a say and sharing their combined understanding as the Spirit gave guidance...what James was doing was merely giving voice to what had been mutually agreed upon by everyone at the meeting. James was not being the boss and lording it over the others...that was not, is not, the Christian way, and any organization who does that is working contrary to the instructions of Christ Himself.

I believe you are right! Kind of like some churches still do today. The Church leaders get together, discuss, argue, negotiate etc. etc. and then SOMEONE stands up and makes final pronuounment.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a bit different than what you wrote: Even the Roman Catholic Catechism says, "Deuterocanonical does not mean Apocryphal, but simply 'later added to the canon." You allegedly quoted the Catechism but now you are saying you got it from the Oxford Annotated copy of the Apocrypha? Maybe I'm confused!!
No, I quoted an introduction from the Oxford Apocrypha that quoted a catechism. The quote was in direct quotes in the copy of the Apocrypha I have by well known scholars so I can only assume their quote is trustworthy and does come directly from a popular Roman Catholic catechism. I hope that makes sense.

Just because some individual early church fathers didn't all agree to what should be canonized doesn't mean The Church (a group of men) hadn't agreed to it.
True, but from what I have read on the subject, there never seemed to be universal agreement. The councils at Hippo and Carthage were local synodical councils among the Latin church. This does not constitute universal agreement. I have not read that we have any knowledge of an official Church decree that made an official stance on the Apocryphal books prior to the Council of Trent. So, while it may be that the majority of people in the Church viewed these were inspired works, it is also very evident that key figures (such as Jerome, who translated the Latin Vulgate) did not view these books as Scripture. I think that is the heart of the debate. Of course, those who view them to be Scripture today will say that lots of people in the Church always viewed them as Scripture while those who disagree will point out the ones who did not. My point is simply that there does not seem to be any clear-cut decision by the early church. When the issue of Arianism arose, the Church made a clear and decisive decision on the issue. Likewise, when determining the 27 books of the NT, the Church made a clear decision that was embraced to be the official stance of the Church on the matter. To my knowledge, this never happened on this issue and so we are left with picking through various opinions of early church people. It seems that there was no official position and you had some that believed and taught they were Scripture and others who did not. Hence the debate.

That's why SOMEONE has to have authority to make these decisions. I don't understand how for 1200 years Christians had X number of books in the bible they considered God breathed and then when Martin Luther came around all of a sudden God changed his mind and decided Luther got it right and the Church got it wrong. Why is Martin Luther right? If he is right then can't anybody be right??
Well thats a bit of revisionist history, Tom. It is not true that for 1200 years they had x number of books until Luther came around. The fact is that some translations had them and others did not. Also, some of the first English translations that included them (such as John Wyclif's) had a notation with them that indicated the books were "to be set among apocrifa" and others did not. For the RCC, the distinction between church tradition and "Scripture" was not so easily distinguished. There wasnt a concerted effort to distinguish between the two because the authority of the Church and the authority of the Scriptures were viewed having the same infallible source. However, when the Protestants came along and began to distinguish between the authority of tradition and the authority of Scripture, the issue of which books were to be considered "Scripture" suddenly became prominent. That is why the RCC at the Council of Trent (which was originally intended to be a council to try to bring reconciliation between RCC and Protestants, that ended up being used in the opposite manner) decided to make an official declaration on the matter because the Protestants were starting to call into question a number of Church traditions.

So, I think there is a fundamental difference of ecclesiology that cannot be simply settled. Maybe from your RCC point of view, the Protestants open the Pandora's box of "there is no authority and anyone can be right." Obviously this is an issue and has caused a great deal of disagreement and various denominational groups. However, from the Protestant point of view, they were concerned with a Church leadership that was often plagued with corruption, simony and errant traditions that led people away from the teachings of Scripture and faith in God to the agenda of a corrupt politician under the guise of "the clergy." For instance, Luther was specifically opposed to practices of indulgences where people were extorted of money so they could look at icons and thereby have the church officials reduce their time in purgatory. Luther originally had no intention to break away from the RCC, but was forced out as he began to resist some of these abuses...and rather than the RCC making corrections they attacked Luther based on this perceived undermining of their authority (i.e. who are you to tell us something we are doing is wrong!?). Later, the RCC would bring about reformations as a result of the Protestant movement, but the damage had already been done.

So, the point is simply this. Both ecclesiological structures have their issues. For the Protestants we have the Scripture as the authority but obviously, how those Scriptures are understood brings about a great deal of division. On the other hand, you have a clear authority from the RCC that fosters unity (if we dont take into account issues such as the Avignon Controversy or the Great Schism between East and West) , but there is the danger of that authoritarian approach leading the accepting masses down the wrong road (unless you feel they cannot err...which is a position I simply do not hold..nor do I think history substantiates).

Personally, one reason why I side with Protestantism is that I think we, as individuals, are held into account before God based on the authority of Scripture, and not any particular religious leader. For instance, the Jews had many, many different "denominations" Pharisees, Saducees, Essenes, etc. and all kinds of debates over the Scriptures. Jesus' answer was not to say, "You must accept the position of Rabbi, or High Priest X because his position makes him the ultimate authority on the issue" (just look at 1 & 2 Kings to see how flawed this approach has been through history). No, Jesus pointed to the Scriptures as the authority and would often criticize the religious authorities for their failure to understand the Scriptures. It seems Jesus expected that the Scriptures could be understood and that each individual would be held to account based on their authority. Moreover, I simply do not see the Scriptures teaching that at the coming of the Holy Spirit, that this format would change. There is simply no teaching in the NT about the establishment of a church hierarchy or that a human would sit in the "see of Christ" and become the voice of God on earth as equivalent to the Scriptures. Even if Peter is the one being referred to as "the rock" upon which the Church would be built, there is simply no indication that this role would be passed on. More than that, not even Peter seemed to have authority in the church in Jerusalem as the "see of Christ" in Acts 15. Thus this foundational role was not to be seen as the voice of Peter being the equivalent as the voice of Christ. Even Paul had to rebuke Peter about hypocrisy (see Galatians 1). Rather, we see passages in the NT that say things about anyone, even an angel preaching a Gospel other than the one Paul presented, they should be eternally condemned. The Holy Spirit has inspired the Scriptures and certainly the Holy Spirit works through men. However, we know that the Scriptures are true and we know that humans can resist the Holy Spirit and be in error. Thus, I have a responsibility to the Scriptures before I have a responsibility to any man. While I respect those in positions of authority, in the RCC or other church backgrounds, my primary allegiance is to the Scriptures and the Word of God.

While it may be easy, convenient, and prevent dissension to point to a man or an office and say, "They are the absolute authority and what they say goes," I just dont see this model as historically free from fault or one that is modeled in Scripture.