What makes any given branch of Christianity an authority over my life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
tom55 said:
In my humble opinion, for what little it may be worth, Jesus did not build any "denomination". His Church consists of all of those who love Him with all their hearts and all their minds and all their strength, and who struggle to obey Him. His sheep hear His voice and He knows them...a stranger's voice they will not hear. These are scattered through these "denominations", or perhaps some of them have simply stopped trying to find Jesus in any church. Again, I don't see any of these men as having "the final authority" over the church.

I apologize. I must have misunderstood what you were saying when you talked about Paul’s letters of instruction (aka scripture) and how they are regarded by many as instructions for the churches in our own time. I suspect they would have been instructions for the churches in his time also and for all time since all scripture is God breathed. I kind of thought we were in agreement when you said that James spoke on the matter and the decision was final; indicating he made the final decision. With both the Paul and James analogy you suggested (and I agree) someONE has the final authority to loose and bind. So who is that someone? Christ passed down his authority to the apostles (ability to loose and bind, forgive sins or retain sins) via his Church. The Church that he promised us when he said on this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it. If that authority that was passed down to the apostles has been revoked or stopped upon the death of the apostles or disappeared somehow then it sounds like the gates of hell did prevail against it and His authority is gone and Satan won. So, in my humble opinion, the authority is still here, with man, on this earth. If you, The Barrd, are saying it is gone and Satan has won I have to ask you: When did His authority via His church end? We have been instructed to take our differences to the Church to be settled by the Church. So which Church? If the Church consists of “all of those who love Him….” Who do you and I go to so we can settle this dispute? Or the questions over baptism? Or is communion his real body and blood or just a symbol? Or the OSAS belief? As you have said before we have 30,000 different churches which means different teachings from the same bible. If the bible is the book of truth then WHO translates that truth? Did God abandon us? Or should we do like the apostles did and hold a council of the Church elders to settle our differences and make binding upon all Christians what they decide? Which Church has the authority to do this? The Mormons? Baptist? Pentecostal? Westboro Baptist Church? Catholics? Orthodox?
Are you a member of the greater church, Tom?
Then you must trust the Spirit within you, and make your own decisions.
There is no other authority over you than Christ, Himself.
As long as He is alive....and He can never die....His authority over His church can never end.
Your Bible tells you that His sheep hear His voice and He knows them. Do you believe this?
I do.
My advice to you is to listen for that still, small voice within you.
Jesus says that if you love Him, you will obey Him.
Do you love Him?

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
brakelite said:
Actually I suggest everyone at that Jerusalem meeting had some input, all having a say and sharing their combined understanding as the Spirit gave guidance...what James was doing was merely giving voice to what had been mutually agreed upon by everyone at the meeting. James was not being the boss and lording it over the others...that was not, is not, the Christian way, and any organization who does that is working contrary to the instructions of Christ Himself.

Matt. 20:25 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

There was never any intention on Christ's part for anyone in His church to have authority over another. Such a one claiming authority is Antichrist...replacing the true leader of the church with a counterfeit.
Are you saying there was no recognized leadership at the Jerusalem Church and that everyone had a say?

If that's the case, how can you reconcile the scriptures laid out below?

I Timothy 3:1-5

1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?

To God Be The Glory

B

brakelite

Jun2u said:
Are you saying there was no recognized leadership at the Jerusalem Church and that everyone had a say?

1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?

To God Be The Glory
Nowhere in this quoted text is there any hint that a bishop has authority over what an individual is to believe or not to believe. It says "take care of". This does not in any way shape or form mean he has the right to lord it over other Christians. If you believe a man has authority over your conscience...over your faith...over what doctrines you accept or reject...then you are setting yourself up to accept anyone who comes along and says "Hey, Jesus is in the desert"..."Jesus is preaching on Main St"...or even "I am Jesus".
False prophets gain a following precisely as a result of what you are advocating. That a mere man has the power to be a ruling authority in the church. That was the downfall of the Roman apostasy. That was why the declaration of independence and the bill of rights excluded religion from having legislative authority in the land. That is why there is separation of church and state. Unfortunately, Revelation 13 says that a majority of people in your country will think just as you are thinking, and they will create an image to the beast and surrender themselves to worship Antichrist, simply because he says to. And you will follow him like sheep to the slaughter, because he by then will be appointed head of the world church, and the United States will lead the rest of the world to perdition. Except for a remnant, who choose to think for themselves. Who decide that the scriptures are the final authority, and not some pompous occult Satan worshipping Luciferian called a pope.

B

brakelite

Within Christianity there has been, for nearly 2000 years, a system of church governance which dictated how their followers should behave...what they should believe...how to interpret the scriptures. The reformation began to bring back truth...Holy Spirit inspired and created sanctification that brought real changes to men's hearts and minds...the scriptures as the standard, the teacher of doctrine, and the final authority...and the Holy Spirit as the expositor and teacher of Biblical truth to those who sought it with all their hearts.
Sadly, the pendulum continued to swing through that era of revelation, and the enemy of souls brought cheap grace...where once again the authority of scripture was removed, but this time by presumption, and a gospel that fell short of the fullness that God intended, stopping at Calvary, and failing to continue into the sanctuary where sanctification and the individual change of heart and mind were promised.
And today, the pendulum has moved further again, only this time to a such a degree where people are setting aside the individual responsibility of repentance and the change of life in the NOW, and joining themselves to groups where the law, the ceremonies and practices of the sanctuary service of the OT is seen as a means to salvation for all in that group, but the 'goyim', the heathen, are seen as 'lawless' and therefore lost. The group and their beliefs have become their Savior, and the Messiah and His ministry in the heavenly sanctuary as High Priest is seen as being only as that group's 'mascot' so to speak, and an earthly kingdom reserved only for them. In fact, it is almost a reversion to the times of the dark ages where the 'group' is dictating how, who, and when we should worship.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
The Barrd said:
As long as He is alive....and He can never die....His authority over His church can never end.
Your Bible tells you that His sheep hear His voice and He knows them. Do you believe this?
I do.
Do you love Him?

I presented to you at least 10 legitimate questions and you didn't answer any of them. Instead, your response is advice to me and asking me questions (instead of answering questions). I still love ya' though!! I will make a deal with you. For every 1 question you answer from my post I will answer 2 questions you ask me.

I will answer your questions: Yes! I am a member of the greater (greatest) church. The church that Jesus established. The Christian Church.

Yes, I believe this! It is in scripture (John 10) so why wouldn't I believe it? AND Yes, I love him. But what should I obey from him? He said '.....you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you". Does that mean I should be washing the feet of my fellow Christians or did He mean this only for his apostles to do? I want to obey him but what parts of scripture should I obey?

Respectfully...Tom

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Jun2u said:

To God Be The Glory
Here are some verses for you to consider:

Mat 20:25 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
Mat 20:26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
Mat 20:27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
Mat 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

I think you are confusing "leadership" with "authority".
One who wishes to lead must first learn how to follow...
One who wishes to be served, must first learn how to be a servant.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
tom55 said:
I do.
Do you love Him?

I presented to you at least 10 legitimate questions and you didn't answer any of them. Instead, your response is advice to me and asking me questions (instead of answering questions). I still love ya' though!! I will make a deal with you. For every 1 question you answer from my post I will answer 2 questions you ask me.

I will answer your questions: Yes! I am a member of the greater (greatest) church. The church that Jesus established. The Christian Church.

Yes, I believe this! It is in scripture (John 10) so why wouldn't I believe it? AND Yes, I love him. But what should I obey from him? He said '.....you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you". Does that mean I should be washing the feet of my fellow Christians or did He mean this only for his apostles to do? I want to obey him but what parts of scripture should I obey?

Respectfully...Tom
Aww, shucks, Tom, I'm blushing here. I love you, too, ya big lug.

What should you obey from Him? I suppose if I had to narrow it down to the simplest possible answer, I would say that you should, with His help, love others with the same selfless love that Jesus modeled for us.
Should we be washing each others' feet? If that is what is called for, yes. I mean, if I've been outdoors and my feet are all coated with dirt and muck, then, yes, you should wash them for me.

But it means more than that. We are to be servants, one to the other.

For instance, you had a hard day at work. You get home, and your wife has had a rough day at home, too. The kids have been especially difficult, she's been dealing with one crisis after the other all day long, and yet, she has managed to cook a beautiful dinner for her family. You come to the table, where she serves the food.
Dinner is over. You can see that she is tired, but darn it, you've had a rough day, too!
Do you:
a. Go out to the living room, flop down on the couch, and turn on the television
or
b. Tell her to go and get off her feet....you'll clean the kitchen and do the dishes for her, this once.

Careful, there will be a quiz later....

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tom55 said:
Yes! I am a member of the greater (greatest) church. The church that Jesus established. The Christian Church.
I think it is important to be clear in this regard....Peter, by his confession in Matt 16:16, established the church...Jesus said He would BUILD his church upon that confession. As far as Jesus was/is concerned, there is only ONE church, HIS.

B

brakelite

StanJ said:
I think it is important to be clear in this regard....Peter, by his confession in Matt 16:16, established the church...Jesus said He would BUILD his church upon that confession. As far as Jesus was/is concerned, there is only ONE church, HIS.
Isa 28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.
Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wormwood said:
So, I "submit" myself only to the local "Church" that agrees with me on all points. Then it is "His Church?" Maybe that is not what you mean, but it can certainly be interpreted that way. I get what you are saying, but that doesnt really sound like "submission" to me. It sounds more like, "If you think and do exactly as I think you should, then I will 'submit.'" It's like a child who tells the parent, "I'll obey you, but only when you are telling me to do what I want to do."

If a local church does not make the Word of God their source of authority and teaching, then we should avoid it.
Wormwood, you will have to explain how your comment is any different to mine as I can't see that it is. As there are approximately 42,000 denominations worldwide, probably all of whom claim the word of God as their authority, who decides who is making the word of God their authority?

FYI, I never once said the church had to be right. I said it had to be His church. "His church" has its flaws, but that doesn't stop it being his church. From my experience, it doesn't take too much to work out whether a church is "HIs church." One of the main indicators is whether the church wants to maintain the status quo at all costs as it is a well known maxim that anyone or any church who/which does the same thing every week and expects a different outcome is not going to get very far.

Sad to say, christendom is full of churches like that and they achieve very little for the Kingdom of God. The churches in my town have made it very clear they are not interested in any new initiative because they don't want to rock the boat even though they could only boast three conversions in 12 months between all of them. How do I know? I asked them.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
marksman said:
Wormwood, you will have to explain how your comment is any different to mine as I can't see that it is. As there are approximately 42,000 denominations worldwide, probably all of whom claim the word of God as their authority, who decides who is making the word of God their authority?

FYI, I never once said the church had to be right. I said it had to be His church. "His church" has its flaws, but that doesn't stop it being his church. From my experience, it doesn't take too much to work out whether a church is "HIs church." One of the main indicators is whether the church wants to maintain the status quo at all costs as it is a well known maxim that anyone or any church who/which does the same thing every week and expects a different outcome is not going to get very far.

Sad to say, christendom is full of churches like that and they achieve very little for the Kingdom of God. The churches in my town have made it very clear they are not interested in any new initiative because they don't want to rock the boat even though they could only boast three conversions in 12 months between all of them. How do I know? I asked them.
So, as far as you're concerned, any church that is growing is "His church"?
Some of the fastest-growing churches in the U.S. would be the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/jehovah-s-witnesses-mormons-fastest-growing-churches-in-u-s-31266/

Mormons believe that God was once a man who lived on another planet, and who was raised to His "Godhood" by the God of that planet.
JWs have re-written the Bible, and believe that Jesus is some kind of lesser "god".

Which of these, do you think, is "His church"?

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
Wormwood said:
No, I quoted an introduction from the Oxford Apocrypha that quoted a catechism. The quote was in direct quotes in the copy of the Apocrypha I have by well known scholars so I can only assume their quote is trustworthy and does come directly from a popular Roman Catholic catechism. I hope that makes sense.

It does make more sense now that you explained it. However, I searched the catechism website for that quote and can't find it. Maybe the Oxford Apocrypha is wrong in their quote? Or maybe I missed it!! I suppose it is best to quote the source directly when making a point instead of quoting a second hand source.

True, but from what I have read on the subject, there never seemed to be universal agreement. The councils at Hippo and Carthage were local synodical councils among the Latin church. This does not constitute universal agreement. I have not read that we have any knowledge of an official Church decree that made an official stance on the Apocryphal books prior to the Council of Trent. So, while it may be that the majority of people in the Church viewed these were inspired works, it is also very evident that key figures (such as Jerome, who translated the Latin Vulgate) did not view these books as Scripture. I think that is the heart of the debate. Of course, those who view them to be Scripture today will say that lots of people in the Church always viewed them as Scripture while those who disagree will point out the ones who did not. My point is simply that there does not seem to be any clear-cut decision by the early church. When the issue of Arianism arose, the Church made a clear and decisive decision on the issue. Likewise, when determining the 27 books of the NT, the Church made a clear decision that was embraced to be the official stance of the Church on the matter. To my knowledge, this never happened on this issue and so we are left with picking through various opinions of early church people. It seems that there was no official position and you had some that believed and taught they were Scripture and others who did not. Hence the debate.

The general consensus among the early church fathers, councils, churches etc. etc. had the canon generally settled by the year 400 AD. Just because Jerome and a few others didn't agree doesn't mean MOST did agree!

Well thats a bit of revisionist history, Tom. It is not true that for 1200 years they generally had x number of books until Luther came around. The fact is that some translations had them and others did not. Also, some of the first English translations that included them (such as John Wyclif's) had a notation with them that indicated the books were "to be set among apocrifa" and others did not. For the RCC, the distinction between church tradition and "Scripture" was not so easily distinguished. There wasnt a concerted effort to distinguish between the two because the authority of the Church and the authority of the Scriptures were viewed having the same infallible source. However, when the Protestants came along and began to distinguish between the authority of tradition and the authority of Scripture, the issue of which books were to be considered "Scripture" suddenly became prominent. That is why the RCC at the Council of Trent (which was originally intended to be a council to try to bring reconciliation between RCC and Protestants, that ended up being used in the opposite manner) decided to make an official declaration on the matter because the Protestants were starting to call into question a number of Church traditions.

I forgot to put the word "generally" in there!

So, I think there is a fundamental difference of ecclesiology that cannot be simply settled. Maybe from your RCC point of view, MY view is historical, nothing else! he Protestants open the Pandora's box of "there is no authority and anyone can be right." Obviously this is an issue and has caused a great deal of disagreement and various denominational groups. However, from the Protestant point of view, they were concerned with a Church leadership that was often plagued with corruption, simony and errant traditions that led people away from the teachings of Scripture and faith in God to the agenda of a corrupt politician under the guise of "the clergy." For instance, Luther was specifically opposed to practices of indulgences where people were extorted of money so they could look at icons and thereby have the church officials reduce their time in purgatory. Luther originally had no intention to break away from the RCC, but was forced out as he began to resist some of these abuses...and rather than the RCC making corrections they attacked Luther based on this perceived undermining of their authority (i.e. who are you to tell us something we are doing is wrong!?). Later, the RCC would bring about reformations as a result of the Protestant movement, but the damage had already been done.

So, the point is simply this. Both ecclesiological structures have their issues. True For the Protestants we have the Scripture as the authority but obviously, how those Scriptures are understood brings about a great deal of division. TRUE On the other hand, you have a clear authority from the RCC that fosters unity (if we dont take into account issues such as the Avignon Controversy or the Great Schism between East and West) , but there is the danger of that authoritarian approach leading the accepting masses down the wrong road (unless you feel they cannot err...which is a position I simply do not hold..nor do I think history substantiates).

Personally, one reason why I side with Protestantism is that I think we, as individuals, are held into account before God based on the authority of Scripture, and not any particular religious leader. For instance, the Jews had many, many different "denominations" Pharisees, Saducees, Essenes, etc. and all kinds of debates over the Scriptures. Jesus' answer was not to say, "You must accept the position of Rabbi, or High Priest X because his position makes him the ultimate authority on the issue" Not true!! He said, "The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them.(just look at 1 & 2 Kings to see how flawed this approach has been through history). No, Jesus pointed to the Scriptures as the authority and would often criticize the religious authorities for their failure to understand the Scriptures. It seems Jesus expected that the Scriptures could be understood and that each individual would be held to account based on their authority. Not true! scripture actually says, "As in all his letters, he writes about these things, in which some things are hard to understand, which the unlearned and unstable distort, as they also do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction." Moreover, I simply do not see the Scriptures teaching that at the coming of the Holy Spirit, that this format would change. There is simply no teaching in the NT about the establishment of a church hierarchy or that a human would sit in the "see of Christ" and become the voice of God on earth as equivalent to the Scriptures. Even if Peter is the one being referred to as "the rock" upon which the Church would be built, there is simply no indication that this role would be passed on. More than that, not even Peter seemed to have authority in the church in Jerusalem as the "see of Christ" in Acts 15. Thus this foundational role was not to be seen as the voice of Peter being the equivalent as the voice of Christ. Even Paul had to rebuke Peter about hypocrisy (see Galatians 1). Rather, we see passages in the NT that say things about anyone, even an angel preaching a Gospel other than the one Paul presented, they should be eternally condemned. The Holy Spirit has inspired the Scriptures and certainly the Holy Spirit works through men. However, we know that the Scriptures are true and we know that humans can resist the Holy Spirit and be in error. So then it's possible that Protestantism is in error? Just like Catholosism or Mormonism is in error? Are all of them wrong and we don't have the truth here on earth as God promised? Thus, I have a responsibility to the Scriptures before I have a responsibility to any man. While I respect those in positions of authority, in the RCC or other church backgrounds, my primary allegiance is to the Scriptures and the Word of God. So that makes you a church of one? Maybe you, wormwood, is the Church that Jesus established?

While it may be easy, convenient, and prevent dissension to point to a man or an office and say, "They are the absolute authority and what they say goes," I just dont see this model as historically free from fault or one that is modeled in Scripture. Who's authority did you accept as rock solid proof that the bible you read is in fact God breathed?

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
brakelite said:
Within Christianity there has been, for nearly 2000 years, a system of church governance which dictated how their followers should behave...what they should believe...how to interpret the scriptures. True! The reformation began to bring back truth That means that the truth left us at some point? When did it go away and why did the Holy Spirit allow that to happen? I thought He said he would never leave us?...Holy Spirit inspired and created sanctification that brought real changes to men's hearts and minds...the scriptures as the standard, the teacher of doctrine, and the final authority...and the Holy Spirit as the expositor and teacher of Biblical truth to those who sought it with all their hearts. So the Holy Spirit wasn't working in men BEFORE the reformation? And who has the Biblical truth? Tom55 sitting in his living room on Sunday interpreting the bible so it fits his lifestyle? If the Holy Spirit is the "expositor and teacher of Biblical truth", who is he exposing it to?The Mormons? brakelite? Catholics, Baptist etc. etc.??
Sadly, the pendulum continued to swing through that era of revelation, and the enemy of souls brought cheap grace...where once again the authority of scripture was removed, but this time by presumption, and a gospel that fell short of the fullness that God intended, stopping at Calvary, and failing to continue into the sanctuary where sanctification and the individual change of heart and mind were promised.
And today, the pendulum has moved further again, only this time to a such a degree where people are setting aside the individual responsibility of repentance and the change of life in the NOW, True! Sadly we have become a ME and a NOW society!! I want scripture to fit ME and what I think. No one has authority over ME!! and joining themselves to groups where the law, the ceremonies and practices of the sanctuary service of the OT is seen as a means to salvation for all in that group, but the 'goyim', the heathen, are seen as 'lawless' and therefore lost. The group and their beliefs have become their Savior, and the Messiah and His ministry in the heavenly sanctuary as High Priest is seen as being only as that group's 'mascot' so to speak, and an earthly kingdom reserved only for them. In fact, it is almost a reversion to the times of the dark ages where the 'group' is dictating how, who, and when we should worship.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
:rolleyes:
Why do we need a man to interpret Scripture for us?
Can we not read for ourselves?
Why do we need a man to tell us what we ought to believe?
Did not God give us our own minds?

There is only One Lord.
And there is only One Faith.

There is only One Authority over the Church, and that is the Head of the Church, Jesus Christ. There is no other authority men must obey, other than Christ.
One day, I fear, we will find that all of this division, all of these "denominations", all of this petty arguing over "doctrine" has brought shame to the church, and to our Lord. We have been wicked children, tearing the Body of Christ into over 40,000 little pieces and scattering it to the winds...

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
The Barrd said:

What should you obey from Him? I suppose if I had to narrow it down to the simplest possible answer, I would say that you should, with His help, love others with the same selfless love that Jesus modeled for us.
Should we be washing each others' feet? If that is what is called for, yes. I mean, if I've been outdoors and my feet are all coated with dirt and muck, then, yes, you should wash them for me.

I believe you are correct! It represents the service and charity of Christ, who came ‘not to be served, but to serve’. However, some interpret John 13:1-17 as being literal so they wash each others feet. Are they correct or are you and I correct? And if WE are correct and they are wrong how do WE know we have the truth? Who has the authority to interpret John 13:1-17 and reveal it's truth?

On a side note I realize I sometimes sound harsh, condescending, mean or whatever word you want to describe my writings, HOWEVER, I don't mean to sound that way.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
tom55 said:

I believe you are correct! It represents the service and charity of Christ, who came ‘not to be served, but to serve’. However, some interpret John 13:1-17 as being literal so they wash each others feet. Are they correct or are you and I correct? And if WE are correct and they are wrong how do WE know we have the truth? Who has the authority to interpret John 13:1-17 and reveal it's truth?

On a side note I realize I sometimes sound harsh, condescending, mean or whatever word you want to describe my writings, HOWEVER, I don't mean to sound that way.
I've never actually been to a foot-washing service. I'm afraid I'd be horribly shy...
Like Peter, I don't think I'd be comfortable having someone else wash my feet.

Back in the first century, when company came to the house, it was common for a servant to meet them at the door with a basin and some clean cloths. They had been walking the dusty roads, and their feet would be filthy...and no careful housewife would want those dirty feet on her clean floors. Thus it was considered a necessary service.
(As a Mom, I can remember several occasions, especially during the summer, when I made my kids rinse their feet before they could come inside. And for the very same reason! I did not want those nasty little feet tracking dirt all over my clean floors...)

So, how do we know we are right, and those who hold these foot washing services in an attempt to obey Christ are mistaken?

Well, in my humble opinion, we need only look to our Lord and Master for our answer.
Are we following His example?
Did He not spend His life ministering to others, and did He not teach us to do the same?
Well, there's your answer, Tom...