What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been treated like an object here rather than a person -- let alone a disciple of Christ. And I'm really really sick of it.
I can understand how you feel, as I have felt this way many times on this forum. If I have done this to you, please forgive me. It was not my intent.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh our God of all power and might! Please forgive us, your children of all the division, infighting and grieving your sweet and HOLY Spirit every day. Help us to extend the grace, love and forgiveness that YOU have given to us. It is not always very easy but then...what is impossible with man...❤
Let us ALL turn, now to you in faith, let us exhibit the fruits of your Holy Spirit...which is the "work" and increase you seek from us.
Help us to become genuinely loving, kind and patient with each other. As, this is what you desire for us (
Ephesians 4:32
"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."
We thank you always and ask to remain grateful even for the hard things as, you do not change. No matter what we go through YOU are STILL worthy of our praise, thanks, and total worship. Bless this forum God.
In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, ma'am! I am trying, but I have to love as God directs me to and fills my heart, not based on what you think love is.
Pardon me, but I don't think God drives you to ignore people's relationship with Christ, to rely on hypocritical reasoning, or ignore facts.

That is the sinful part of you speaking. We all have it. Btu we also need to fight it and walk in Christ's ways.

I can understand how you feel, as I have felt this way many times on this forum. If I have done this to you, please forgive me. It was not my intent.

Are you going to acknowledge my relationship with Christ?
Or are you going to continue to treat me as an object that you need to "save" because you know "better" than I?

Reactions: amadeus

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pardon me, but I don't think God drives you to ignore people's relationship with Christ, to rely on hypocritical reasoning, or ignore facts.

That is the sinful part of you speaking. We all have it. Btu we also need to fight it and walk in Christ's ways.

Are you going to acknowledge my relationship with Christ?
Or are you going to continue to treat me as an object that you need to "save" because you know "better" than I?
Hopefully, I will do as God directs me. That's the best that I can offer. :)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An apology where you have zero intention of changing your ways isn't an actual apology.
My dear, when someone holds out an olive branch to you, it's probably best not to whack them in the face with it. Just saying. :)

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Until you literally say "yes, you should ask Mike and trust him about what Protestant teach", then there's no point in discussing Lynn because your very epistemological methodology is groundless and fails every possible test from the get-go.

Maybe not "trust" 100%, but at least research what's he's/Mike's saying for yourself. Why is someone being an ex of something automatically mean they're wrong/untruthful? The person who left isn't always disgruntled, perhaps, just thinks differently for some reason.

And this could go both ways, what if what they're saying is true/right, if after you've researched it?

You brought up an ex-Protestant before; why wouldn't that be any different (which I get is what you're saying, logically)?

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dear, when someone holds out an olive branch to you, it's probably best not to whack them in the face with it. Just saying. :)
But did you really offer an olive branch?

Or, despite your words, is it your intention to continue treating me as an object rather than acknowledging my relationship with Christ?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But did you really offer an olive branch?

Or, despite your words, is it your intention to continue treating me as an object rather than acknowledging my relationship with Christ?
God knows my heart, JD, and it was sincerely offered. This is not to say that I am going to do everything you want me to do or in the way you think I should do it. Like I said, God will direct me. If I do as He directs, then we will both benefit, don't you think?

Reactions: Nancy

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God knows my heart, JD, and it was sincerely offered. This is not to say that I am going to do everything you want me to do or in the way you think I should do it. Like I said, God will direct me. If I do as He directs, then we will both benefit, don't you think?
Do you intend to keep treating me as an object to be "saved" by you?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe not "trust" 100%, but at least research what's he's/Mike's saying for yourself. Why is someone being an ex of something automatically mean they're wrong/untruthful? The person who left isn't always disgruntled, perhaps, just thinks differently for some reason.

And this could go both ways, what if what they're saying is true/right, if after you've researched it?

You brought up an ex-Protestant before; why wouldn't that be any different (which I get is what you're saying, logically)?
Thank you for this well thought out post.

Axe grinding makes someone/something a bad source.

Being an ex-whatever doesn't automatically make someone a bad source or a good one. It's just there past.

To figure things out for yourself: naturally, a person should verify things for themselves. That's what I've been saying this entire time. Seek the facts, and from the best sources in the best ways.

Reactions: 4Jesus

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then start treating me as such.

One of the most valuable things I can offer anyone is my prayers. I have been praying for you, and I pray now that you will receive all that God has for you.

Last edited:

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for this well thought out post.

Axe grinding makes someone/something a bad source.

Being an ex-whatever doesn't automatically make someone a bad source or a good one. It's just there past.

To figure things out for yourself: naturally, a person should verify things for themselves. That's what I've been saying this entire time. Seek the facts, and from the best sources in the best ways.

I guess what I'm saying is, is that being an axe-grinder doesn't automatically negate what one is saying is untruthful. It could untruthful, but only because it's untruthful, not because they're axe grinding.

Someone could want to spite someone, or get revenge, by spilling the truth. Doesn't make them untruthful. Does that make them a bad source/disgruntled/negative person, it could, but it could not too. One does not automatically equal the other; so it could, could not.

Are you saying that whistle-blowers shouldn't blow the whistle, if they're disgruntled/a-bad-source, or whistle-blowers shouldn't blow the whistle because they're untruthful (which means they're not really whistle-blowers)?

And yes I agree, seek the facts, and figure things out for yourself.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess what I'm saying is, is that being an axe-grinder doesn't automatically negate what one is saying is untruthful. It could untruthful, but only because it's untruthful, not because they're axe grinding.

Someone could want to spite someone, or get revenge, by spilling the truth. Doesn't make them untruthful. Does that make them a bad source/disgruntled/negative person, it could, but it could not too. One does not automatically equal the other; so it could, could not.

Are you saying that whistle-blowers shouldn't blow the whistle, if they're disgruntled/a-bad-source, or whistle-blowers shouldn't blow the whistle because they're untruthful (which means they're not really whistle-blowers)?

And yes I agree, seek the facts, and figure things out for yourself.
A whistle blower and an axe grinder are two different things.

What makes a person an axe-grinder is the hugely biased agenda and the willingness to put a huge skew on information. That's why their intrinsically such a problematic source.

A person can be critical of someone / something else, but still not be an axe-grinder.

B

brakelite

A whistle blower and an axe grinder are two different things.

What makes a person an axe-grinder is the hugely biased agenda and the willingness to put a huge skew on information. That's why their intrinsically such a problematic source.

A person can be critical of someone / something else, but still not be an axe-grinder.
Thus far you have gone to great lengths to minimise any impact @Prayer Warrior may have in this thread by casting aspersions on her, and her source. But I note that not once have you denied the truthfulness of what she is quoting. Is what she quoted am accurate description of the ceremonies, or don't you know because you haven't gone through them?

B

brakelite

Now.. why do you trust her?
Because she and her husband have been there, done that, and unless I am shown different, I believe her testimony. Now you can disparage her all you like... But the question is.. Is her testimony wrong, and if so, how? She goes into great detail of her experience in the temple... Vetted and approved by those in charge... And her story is similar to others I have heard who are still Mormons. So... Why the angst against prayer warrior and the writer of the book?