What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, what you're saying is that I and other Christians reject Mormonism because it's "different" from what we're used to??? Like, we just can't shift gears in our little minds and accept this newfangled theology? Is this what you're saying?

If this is the case, then why aren't you a Mormon? Why do YOU not accept Mormon doctrine as the latest and greatest revelation from God?

If this is the case, then why aren't you a Mormon? Why do YOU not accept Mormon doctrine as the latest and greatest revelation from God?

Sorry I forgot to answer this. My calling is to be a Christian. I fellowship with many denominations. There has been enough division of faith. I find plus and minuses with many religions, but not to the extent that I will close my mind to the possibles of what I believe to be a very active Trinity. How do I judge other denominational beliefs that are outside the Bible? I look for the spirit of Christianity, not expecting it always to be the same words. Do I commit what I know to hard line beliefs? Sometimes and sometimes not. I am not expecting a word for word cut and paste from the Bible in divine communications. What would be the purpose of the vision or revelation if it recited the scriptures. I have no problems going to a Catholic church or a Mormon church, and I hug'em all, because I love my brothers and sisters in Christ. Most of the time I am in one the Protestant churches.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You keep taking what I say to you negatively. Again fundamentalism is sound concept. Nothing wrong with it. Little minds...how many time have I told you that I think you are smart. Newfangled...lol...In the grand scheme of things Protestantism is newfangled.
What I am saying is that fundamentalism is about sticking to the scriptures between the covers of the Bible. My fundamentalist friends want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to step out of the covers of the Bible and try to understand or comment on beliefs that occurred after the close of the Bible. Are you even suppose to do that? Why would you be interested in visions, revelations, and visitations if it is your belief the God's cannot do any of that after the close of the Bible. Would it not be contrary to fundamentalism if you had a vision and something different or additional than what is in the Bible was reveled to you. Would you call it witchcraft? Should you pray that God never interacts with you? What would you do if he did?

You've asked me some questions, and I've answered them as best I can. I asked you a question, but you ignored it and piled on more questions for me to answer.

If you think that Mormon doctrine is as true as, say Protestant doctrine, then why aren't YOU a Mormon?? Pray tell, Grailhunter. What do YOU believe??

Here's the problem: Protestant and Mormon doctrine grossly contradict each other on the most basic points of doctrine. Therefore, one of them is true and the other is not. You can't LOGICALLY say that they are both true. And make no mistake, if your beliefs pretty much line up with Protestant beliefs, then you cannot make it to the highest level of what Mormons call "exaltation" according to Mormon beliefs.

So, Grailhunter, what say you?

Edit: I posted this before I saw your last comment.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sorry I forgot to answer this. My calling is to be a Christian. I fellowship with many denominations. There has been enough division of faith. I find plus and minuses with many religions, but not to the extent that I will close my mind to the possibles of what I believe to be a very active Trinity. How do I judge other denominational beliefs that are outside the Bible? I look for the spirit of Christianity, not expecting it always to be the same words. Do I commit what I know to hard line beliefs? Sometimes and sometimes not. I am not expecting a word for word cut and paste from the Bible in divine communications. What would be the purpose of the vision or revelation if it recited the scriptures. I have no problems going to a Catholic church or a Mormon church, and I hug'em all, because I love my brothers and sisters in Christ. Most of the time I am in one the Protestant churches.

When we really love people, we do as Jesus did. We tell them the truth.

What do YOU believe is the truth about God, about Jesus, about the Bible...?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problems going to a Catholic church or a Mormon church

Are you aware that YOU would not be allowed into a Mormon temple, not unless you answer their questions correctly--according to their beliefs?? And unless you are up on tithes, etc.?

You make it sound like us fundamentalists are so closed-minded. We just need to accept everybody's beliefs, like they accept ours, but they don't accept ours. We really do have to choose sooner or later where we're going to stand, and may GOD give us grace to choose the truth! Because it really is the TRUTH that sets us free!

And the only way that we can pass along this TRUTH that sets people free is if we know what it is.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I will try to respond to it all. If I miss something bring it to my attention. The walk of Christ, to do as He did. As a whole, the Mormons, and I have known many in my life, all my life. Their Christian demeanor is well above average. In my beliefs, application is a refection that Christ's spirit is in you. In the big bubble lol I know you do not like that...from God's perspective we can only comprehend so much...a small fraction of divine reality. He has communicated to us at a level that we can understand some of that divine reality. He said to His apostles, "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now." I learn because I have a thirst for knowledge, that cannot happen with a closed mind. Looking at the other part of your post so I will continue.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Reposting this, in case you missed it @Prayer Warrior (originally post 603)

Let's start with basic & super important stuff:
The Father, the Son, and Spirit are three different divine persons. When Christ is baptized, it is the Father (a different person) saying from Heaven "this is my beloved Son"-- it's not Christ doing some ventriloquist act and flattering Himself. Same with the Spirit descending like a dove. Three different divine persons.

And comments on this point?

The next point would be talking that these three persons are one God.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will try to respond to it all. If I miss something bring it to my attention. The walk of Christ, to do as He did. As a whole, the Mormons, and I have known many in my life, all my life. Their Christian demeanor is well above average. In my beliefs, application is a refection that Christ's spirit is in you. In the big bubble lol I know you do not like that...from God's perspective we can only comprehend so much...a small fraction of divine reality. He has communicated to us at a level that we can understand some of that divine reality. He said to His apostles, "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now." I learn because I have a thirst for knowledge, that cannot happen with a closed mind. Looking at the other part of your post so I will continue.

So, Grailhunter, can YOU explain this "divine reality" to me??

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reposting this, in case you missed it @Prayer Warrior (originally post 603)

Let's start with basic & super important stuff:
The Father, the Son, and Spirit are three different divine persons. When Christ is baptized, it is the Father (a different person) saying from Heaven "this is my beloved Son"-- it's not Christ doing some ventriloquist act and flattering Himself. Same with the Spirit descending like a dove. Three different divine persons.

And comments on this point?

The next point would be talking that these three persons are one God.
I do have one question for you? According to LDS beliefs, did "Heavenly Father" ever have flesh and bones?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do have one question for you? According to LDS beliefs, did "Heavenly Father" ever have flesh and bones?
Before we get to that we first we need to first talk about the fact that the Father, Spirit, and Son are three different persons. Do you believe that they are 3 different persons or 1 or ?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've asked me some questions, and I've answered them as best I can. I asked you a question, but you ignored it and piled on more questions for me to answer.

If you think that Mormon doctrine is as true as, say Protestant doctrine, then why aren't YOU a Mormon?? Pray tell, Grailhunter. What do YOU believe??

Here's the problem: Protestant and Mormon doctrine grossly contradict each other on the most basic points of doctrine. Therefore, one of them is true and the other is not. You can't LOGICALLY say that they are both true. And make no mistake, if your beliefs pretty much line up with Protestant beliefs, then you cannot make it to the highest level of what Mormons call "exaltation" according to Mormon beliefs.

So, Grailhunter, what say you?

Edit: I posted this before I saw your last comment.
So, Grailhunter, can YOU explain this "divine reality" to me??

Grailhunter, can YOU explain this "divine reality" to me?
Let me stop at this question and we can go back to the others. That is the point. For example there are more than one belief of the construct of the Trinity. I have a belief in this regard, but I am not going to condemn someone else's belief because to the specific details we cannot comprehend it. So why condemn? The Catholics killed people over it and the Protestants have fractured the church over it....all in all I thing it is wrong thinking.

As far as differing beliefs between Protestants, Mormons, and Catholics, I believe we can find differences that contradict. As for as contradictions between Mormons and Protestants, we would have to look at them categorically. A lot of Mormon beliefs are additions. Some are straight up different. But I see that in denominations too, people believing differently. Just to give you an example, some believe that Christ made the heavens and the earth, and some believe that God the Father made the heavens and the earth. There are different beliefs even within fundamentalism.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grailhunter, can YOU explain this "divine reality" to me?
Let me stop at this question and we can go back to the others. That is the point. For example there are more than one belief of the construct of the Trinity. I have a belief in this regard, but I am not going to condemn someone else's belief because to the specific details we cannot comprehend it. So why condemn? The Catholics killed people over it and the Protestants have fractured the church over it....all in all I thing it is wrong thinking.

As far as differing beliefs between Protestants, Mormons, and Catholics, I believe we can find differences that contradict. As for as contradictions between Mormons and Protestants, we would have to look at them categorically. A lot of Mormon beliefs are additions. Some are straight up different. But I see that in denominations too, people believing differently. Just to give you an example, some believe that Christ made the heavens and the earth, and some believe that God the Father made the heavens and the earth. There are different beliefs even within fundamentalism.

Do remember that I told you I don't belong to any Christian denomination? In fact, I am a Bible-believing, anti-denominational Christian.

So, when are you going to explain to me the "divine reality"? Where do I find this?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before we get to that we first we need to first talk about the fact that the Father, Spirit, and Son are three different persons. Do you believe that they are 3 different persons or 1 or ?
The Trinity is a simple, yet deep concept. We could spend hours discussing this and never get to my question. :(

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I just mentioned the Trinity in the last post. I actually wrote a lengthy post on that. I believe what the Bible says about the Trinity.
God the Father begot His Son. His Son came from the Father and returned. God the Father gave all authority to the His Son. They talked to each other, in that Christ asked questions. Christ said the Father is greater than I. Christ had to leave for the Holy Spirit to come. Christ explained the oneness concept in John 17:22-23. Whatever the construct is, it applies to us too. What I do not believe; I do not believe that the Romans nailed God the Father or God the Holy Spirit to the cross. I believe; God so loved the world he gave His only begotten Son...not Himself. I believe that Christ was resurrected, not God the Father. So I guess you can say I believe in the Godhead...a unity....not the blender type. Either way it is not comprehendable so it is not worth arguing about.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Trinity is a simple, yet deep concept. We could spend hours discussing this and never get to my question. :(
God is subject worth spending time talking about :)

It's not something that we can fully understand (not with our little brains!), but certainly worth spending time at least briefly addressing.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is subject worth spending time talking about :)

It's not something that we can fully understand (not with our little brains!), but certainly worth spending time at least briefly addressing.

Are you aware that YOU would not be allowed into a Mormon temple, not unless you answer their questions correctly--according to their beliefs??

Temple or church....what is your ruling on this?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you aware that YOU would not be allowed into a Mormon temple, not unless you answer their questions correctly--according to their beliefs??

Temple or church....what is your ruling on this?
That the blue comment needs a lot of clarification on what is meant.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can I go into an LDS temple? Will they admit me into the inner parts of the temple?

Isn't it true that someone has to have a "temple recommend" in order to go into a temple and participate? If so, how does a person get this permit to get into a temple. What is required?

Edit: Perhaps you could tell us what was required of you to get this permit into the temple.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well I thinking that there would be places that only actual Mormons would be allowed.
Then I know I have been invited to go to Mormon churches.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I thinking that there would be places that only actual Mormons would be allowed.
Then I know I have been invited to go to Mormon churches.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I don't know of any Protestant church that has important buildings that are off limits to members of that church because they don't meet certain requirements. My understanding is that one of those requirements is that the person has to be current on their tithes.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I don't know of any Protestant church that has important buildings that are off limits to members of that church because they don't meet certain requirements. My understanding is that one of those requirements is that the person has to be current on their tithes.

You only need to say that once to me, because I agree. As far as Mormon tithing rules...Jane will have to answer that.