What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can I go into an LDS temple? Will they admit me into the inner parts of the temple?

Isn't it true that someone has to have a "temple recommend" in order to go into a temple and participate? If so, how does a person get this permit to get into a temple. What is required?
Well I thinking that there would be places that only actual Mormons would be allowed.
Then I know I have been invited to go to Mormon churches.
You are indeed welcome to visit LDS Christian Sunday services, join in remembrance of Lord's Supper, come to Sunday School, midweek activities, etc. You can even share your testimony of Christ over the pulpit on open mic weeks.

Like every other church, in order to be a priest/leader you must be a believing member of that church and in good standing. Such becoming a priest/leader is the sole purpose of an LDS temple (which is different than an LDS church building). It's not a place for spectators nor is it the place of weekly church services/instruction. If you want to take a tour, you're welcome to during one's open house in person or they have digital tours you can do online.

Now as to talking about salvation (which is the real important thing here): LDS Christians are actually much more open view of this that fundlementalist Protestants. LDS Christians fully acknowledge that many people whom are not LDS Christians in this life can indeed by saved and are currently striving their best to follow Christ.

Reactions: amadeus

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Trinity is a simple, yet deep concept. We could spend hours discussing this and never get to my question. :(
God is subject worth spending time talking about :)

It's not something that we can fully understand (not with our little brains!), but certainly worth spending time at least briefly addressing.
*bumping up this because God is the important subject*

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I thinking that there would be places that only actual Mormons would be allowed.
Then I know I have been invited to go to Mormon churches.
Some of their Temples are mostly restricted. I think they have places for visitors, but most areas are closed to the general public. I lived in Washington DC when they were building their Temple there. The general public could visit the whole place before it was dedicated; and lots of people wet to look. I didn't since it didn't interest me. I never liked going past it since it's so close to the beltway and looms over you as you drive by. I think it would have looked better set back more. It's currently closed for renovations after an earthquake damaged it; and when the repairs are finished (probably in 2020), the public will be allowed in again for a brief period.

Landmark Mormon temple will briefly open doors to public after renovation | WTOP

Millions of people have driven past the Mormon temple in Kensington, Maryland, overlooking the Capital Beltway, but far fewer have ever been inside. But thanks to a massive renovation project, the public will have the chance to go inside for the first time since the temple opened in 1974.

“The temple,” as it’s often called in traffic reports sits on a wooded hill, which is why it looks even taller than it actually is to passing traffic.

“You see it almost floating above the trees, and so certainly we see it as iconic from that standpoint,” said Elder Kevin Calderwood, one of the leaders of the church. “But for us it’s more sacred; it’s a sacred place where we can participate in ordinances that bind our family together.”

The temple isn’t even used to host typical Sunday services. It’s where the faithful — and only the faithful — go for weddings, baptisms and other traditional events.

Who's allowed in? Here's a link I think explains it -- on pages 33-34 -- unless it's been updated.

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V16N01_12.pdf

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of their Temples have restricted areas. I think they have places for visitors, but there are areas that not everyone can go in. I lived in Washington DC when they were building their Temple there. The general public could visit the whole place before it was dedicated; and lots of people wet to look. I didn't since it didn't interest me. I never liked going past it since it's so close to the beltway and looms over you as you drive by. I think it would have looked better set back more. It's currently closed for renovations after an earthquake damaged it; and when the repairs are finished (probably in 2020), the public will be allowed in again for a brief period.

Landmark Mormon temple will briefly open doors to public after renovation | WTOP

Millions of people have driven past the Mormon temple in Kensington, Maryland, overlooking the Capital Beltway, but far fewer have ever been inside. But thanks to a massive renovation project, the public will have the chance to go inside for the first time since the temple opened in 1974.

“The temple,” as it’s often called in traffic reports sits on a wooded hill, which is why it looks even taller than it actually is to passing traffic.

“You see it almost floating above the trees, and so certainly we see it as iconic from that standpoint,” said Elder Kevin Calderwood, one of the leaders of the church. “But for us it’s more sacred; it’s a sacred place where we can participate in ordinances that bind our family together.”

The temple isn’t even used to host typical Sunday services. It’s where the faithful — and only the faithful — go for weddings, baptisms and other traditional events.

Who's allowed in? Here's a link I think explains it -- on pages 33-34 -- unless it's been updated.

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V16N01_12.pdf

There ya go.
I wonder where the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings from? Probably a silly question.
How have you been Giuliano?

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There ya go.
I wonder where the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings from? Probably a silly question.
How have you been Giuliano?
I've been "chilling" here in Pennsylvania. I may go turn my furnace on. :cool:

I have had some very interesting conversations with Mormons; but some were on the confidential side. I don't mean they divulged "secrets" they shouldn't have; but I would want to betray their trust in me as a person and I think they told me things in confidence. I generally get along with Mormons just fine.

In fact, the owner of a pizza store I worked for was a Mormon. I haven't seen him in years; but I heard he's a bishop now. I would never have expected that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grailhunter

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They have two venues:
During the winter season why have sing from their Tabernacle building: it's a concert/preaching hall, and all performances/practices are completely open to the public and free. You can also just tour the building. That's their traditional venue.
To accommodate larger crowds in the summer / other busy times, they also have newer and much larger building for concert/preaching (it's across the street from the traditional tabernacle building). Again, all concerts / practices / just building are completely open and free to visit.

B

brakelite

Because you do not understand what you read- there's a lot of misconceptions that traditionally go into both sides here.

For one such example: many LDS Christians have the misconception that Creedal Christian's believe that the Father/Son/Spirit are all the same person and that Creedal Christians do think there is some ventriloquist act is going on. That's is obviously not what's really going on and not the predominate Creedal Christian view. But it takes a LOT of work, listening, and honest humility to weed out these misconceptions and get to the actual picture.
Is your statement on the trinity your personal belief, or is official LDS teaching?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is your statement on the trinity your personal belief, or is official LDS teaching?
LDS Christians do indeed believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are three different divine persons in one God. That is official doctrinal stance.
However, LDS Christians do not subscribe to the Athanasian Creed and differ in the *how* three persons are one God than that Creed's statements on consubstantiation. Again, official doctrinal stance, just tearing down the language / misconception walls that get this so misunderstood on both sides.

Last edited:
B

brakelite

LDS Christians do indeed believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are three different divine persons in one God. That is official doctrinal stance.
However, LDS Christians do not subscribe to the Athanasian Creed and differ in the *how* three persons are one God than that Creed's statements on consubstantiation. Again, official doctrinal stance, just tearing down the language / misconception walls that get this so misunderstood on both sides.
In as far as that goes, then I also agree with the official LDS teaching. But the 'how' is where we would be irrevocably divided. Yet by the same token, 'how' hasn't been fully revealed to us...so we only have a very limited basis for our conclusions. First we would have to ascertain what we mean by 'persons'.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In as far as that goes, then I also agree with the official LDS teaching. But the 'how' is where we would be irrevocably divided. Yet by the same token, 'how' hasn't been fully revealed to us...so we only have a very limited basis for our conclusions. First we would have to ascertain what we mean by 'persons'.
Thank you for this thoughtful post.

LDS Christians don't use any special definition for "person". Not believing in Creedal statements of consubstantiation, there's no special definition of "being" or saying "three persons in one being through a shared ousia/substance".

Rather, the *how* LDS Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are one God is through unity. Unity of will, goodness, mind, glory, mercy, righteousness, etc. John 17 is a huge chapter about this oneness, especially verses 21-23. Highlighting some more verses below. The links are clickable for seeing context, and for transparency I marked any LDS-specific scriptures with a #.
  • This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, Matt. 3:17 (17:5; # 3 Ne. 11:7).
  • not mine to give, but … of my Father, Matt. 20:23.
  • not as I will, but as thou wilt, Matt. 26:39.
  • baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, Matt. 28:19 (# 3 Ne. 11:25).
  • Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove, Luke 3:22.
  • Son can do nothing … but what he seeth the Father do, John 5:19.
  • Father that sent me beareth witness of me, John 8:18.
  • I and my Father are one, John 10:30.
  • believe the works … that the Father is in me, John 10:38.
  • my Father is greater than I, John 14:28.
  • that they might know thee the only true God, John 17:3.
  • That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, John 17:21 (# D&C 35:2).
  • I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, John 20:17.
  • being by the right hand of God exalted, Acts 2:33.
  • saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, Acts 7:55.
  • even his eternal power and Godhead, Rom. 1:20.
  • to us there is but one God, 1 Cor. 8:6.
  • Christ, who is the image of God, 2 Cor. 4:4.
  • I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord, Eph. 3:14.
  • three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, 1 Jn. 5:7.
  • doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, # 2 Ne. 31:21.
  • they are one God, # Mosiah 15:4 ( # 3 Ne. 11:36; # D&C 20:28).
  • arraigned before the bar of Christ … and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, # Alma 11:44.
  • sing … unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, # Morm. 7:7.
  • grace of God the Father … Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, # Ether 12:41.
  • We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, #A of F 1:1.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't like to call anyone's Christian beliefs false, to me as long as they believe in Christ as God's only begotten son and our Savior is good enough for me.

Problem today people no longer believe in miracles, what is so preposterous of an Angel reaching out to Joseph Smith and directing him to a buried book written on golden plates, the history of an ancient peoples?

So miracles no longer exist, and only happened in biblical times and God reaches out to us no more?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't like to call anyone's Christian beliefs false...
If they are *Christian beliefs* then by definition they are not false. But if they are *false beliefs* then by definition they are not Christian. Pseudo-Christian would be applicable. But we cannot pretend that all beliefs are Christian beliefs.

No matter which way you cut it, Mormonism is not Bible Christianity, and Bible Christianity is not Mormonism. But all Christians have two options: (1) totally ignore Mormonism (unless their clean-cut missionaries come to your door), or (2) show why Mormonism is not Bible Christianity, and hope to educate some who may not be aware.

The opening poster chose to show us why a former Mormon exposed the errors of Mormonism. You can simply ignore this thread or you can agree that Mormonism is not Bible Christianity. Long ago I purchased the book by the ex-Mormon Tanners to see what Mormonism was all about. It was very revealing.

Let's focus on the authority of the Bible as the Word of God. Here is what Sandra Tanner writes:

How Does the LDS Church View the Bible?
By Sandra Tanner

While Christians view the Bible as the final authority on doctrinal matters, the LDS Church holds that their other books* of scripture and their prophets are more reliable than the Bible.
[Those *other books are (1) the Book of Mormon, (2) Doctrines and Covenants and(3) the Pearl of Great Price as listed in Scriptures]

Christian View of the Bible
Accurate—
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Tim. 3:17)

Sufficient—
"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." (1 John 5:13)

Complete—
"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." (Gal. 1:8-9)

Authoritative—
"If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord." (1 Cor. 14:37)

LDS Church View of the Bible
Corrupted—
"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God." (8th article of faith)

Insufficient—

Joseph Smith taught that "many important points touching the salvation of men, had been taken from the Bible, or lost before it was compiled " (History of the Church, v. 1, p. 245)

Need additional revelation—

"We believe all that God has revealed, all that he does now reveal, and we believe that he will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the kingdom of God" (9th article of faith)

Subordinate to new revelation—

"In addition to these four [Mormon] books of scripture, the inspired words of our living prophets become scripture to us. Their words come to us through conferences, Church publications, and instructions to local priesthood leaders." (Gospel Principles, p. 51-52)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they are *Christian beliefs* then by definition they are not false. But if they are *false beliefs* then by definition they are not Christian. Pseudo-Christian would be applicable. But we cannot pretend that all beliefs are Christian beliefs.

No matter which way you cut it, Mormonism is not Bible Christianity, and Bible Christianity is not Mormonism. But all Christians have two options: (1) totally ignore Mormonism (unless their clean-cut missionaries come to your door), or (2) show why Mormonism is not Bible Christianity, and hope to educate some who may not be aware.

The opening poster chose to show us why a former Mormon exposed the errors of Mormonism. You can simply ignore this thread or you can agree that Mormonism is not Bible Christianity. Long ago I purchased the book by the ex-Mormon Tanners to see what Mormonism was all about. It was very revealing.

Let's focus on the authority of the Bible as the Word of God. Here is what Sandra Tanner writes:

By Sandra Tanner

While Christians view the Bible as the final authority on doctrinal matters, the LDS Church holds that their other books* of scripture and their prophets are more reliable than the Bible.
[Those *other books are (1) the Book of Mormon, (2) Doctrines and Covenants and(3) the Pearl of Great Price as listed in Scriptures]

Accurate—
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Tim. 3:17)

Sufficient—
"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." (1 John 5:13)

Complete—
"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." (Gal. 1:8-9)

Authoritative—
"If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord." (1 Cor. 14:37)

Corrupted—
"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God." (8th article of faith)

Insufficient—

Joseph Smith taught that "many important points touching the salvation of men, had been taken from the Bible, or lost before it was compiled " (History of the Church, v. 1, p. 245)

"We believe all that God has revealed, all that he does now reveal, and we believe that he will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the kingdom of God" (9th article of faith)

"In addition to these four [Mormon] books of scripture, the inspired words of our living prophets become scripture to us. Their words come to us through conferences, Church publications, and instructions to local priesthood leaders." (Gospel Principles, p. 51-52)

@Enoch111 , a person doesn't have to believe in sola scriptura in order to be a Christian. Rather, being a Christian is about being a disciple of Christ (see Acts 11:19-26).

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"One God through unity" but three Gods according to the book of Abraham (which is a part of Mormon beliefs)
And let us not forget these verses of the Bible:
Gen 1:26: "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..."
Gen 3:22: And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us.."
(emphasis mine)

Multiple divine persons, one God.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

By Sandra Tanner

Accurate—

Sufficient—

Complete—

Authoritative—

Corrupted—

Insufficient—

No matter which way you cut it, Mormonism is not Bible Christianity.

You do know that the close of the Bible was 2000 years ago. Fundamentalism would have worked a lot better if Christ would have returned within the first century. All together that does constitute a problem, for the Bible. Many want to hold to the Bible only, you will find most of the scriptures referencing His return directly and indirectly were looking at last days, last times, the time is short....not to much on months, years, decades, centuries, millenniums. By the rule of prophecy that presents a problem, for the Bible. As it is those focused on the Bible only are left in the dust of 2000 years of Christian history. Christianity might as well of died for them. Stuck in the printed word of scriptures, but only for them because God's Word is living, and without them Christianity marched on, God did not retire, no one has gagged him. No this is a very active Trinity and it continued on and interacted with peoples and lived with them...communication, visions, visitations.... All a fundamentalist can do is look on as God continued on in history with those that believed and continued a relationship with them. Sad that you were left behind.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After reading my post I need to add that, not all fundamentalists are closed minded. They use the scriptures to weight the spirit of revelation, visions and visitations. And there are some that welcome the ministry of the Holy Spirit and consider the beliefs of others.

So I need to remember not to lump them all in as the closed minded. There is a whole lot of history out there to learn about the "Acts of the Trinity" the open minded can learn and those that believe my be bless with an experience that they will never forget.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Multiple divine persons, one God.
You either don't know your own theology, or you are simply pretending to adopt Christian theology.

If you are a true Mormon, then the Book of Abraham is a part of your *Scripture*. And this book plainly and clearly attributes creation to "the Gods" not God. So please pay close attention:

BOOK OF ABRAHAM
CHAPTER 4
The Gods plan the creation of the earth and all life thereon—Their plans for the six days of creation are set forth.

1 And then the Lord said: Let us go down. And they went down at the beginning, and they, that is the Gods, organized and formed the heavens and the earth.

2 And the earth, after it was formed, was empty and desolate, because they had not formed anything but the earth; and darkness reigned upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of the Gods was brooding upon the face of the waters.

3 And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light; and there was light...

"The Gods" is repeated throughout this chapter while following the sequence of Genenis 1.

Now you can either believe this false book and remain a Mormon, or you can renounce Mormonism and become a Christian. BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As it is those focused on the Bible only are left in the dust of 2000 years of Christian history.
While you have tried to slam Fundamentalists here, your have betrayed your own false beliefs -- because you are still hunting grails. So you are the one who has been left in the dust.

The Bible has been the Word of God to genuine Christians since Christ, so if you don't believe that Bible Christianity is based upon the Bible, then you are not really a Christian. And if you are a Christian you would be a Fundamentalist.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

By Sandra Tanner

Accurate—

Sufficient—

Complete—

Authoritative—

Corrupted—

Insufficient—

Over time, don’t things get corrupted and changed? Don’t people change things to fit their agenda and purpose?

Aren’t they now printing bibles that are gay friendly. Do they even include the book of Leviticus which charges them to be put to death?