What Order Should a New Christian Read the Bible in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jaxy -this is why I first responded to your inquiry they way I did.

Think of it like this… let’s say you joined a forum and told them that you found a million dollars at the side of the road.

And you ask them what you should invest in….

Not all advice is good advice.

Reactions: Pearl and Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that is not important to a new convert - first and foremost they need to build a personal relationship with Jesus - the other stuff can come later. I have never felt the need to read the bible through from cover to cover. But my relationship with Jesus is solid, built on the Rock himself - Jesus not Peter.
That was basically my advice also.

Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that is not important to a new convert - first and foremost they need to build a personal relationship with Jesus - the other stuff can come later. I have never felt the need to read the bible through from cover to cover. But my relationship with Jesus is solid, built on the Rock himself - Jesus not Peter.

I have a dear friend who hadn’t picked up a Bible for more than forty years, not since the nuns used to whack him with it, or whatever they had at hand.

Then he got one of those little pocket-sized new testaments and that’s all he had as far as proper Bibles go. But by the Spirit, he is wiser and more wonderful than any man I’ve ever met. His well is deep.

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every new convert is different. The should all be walking with God.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Every new convert is different. The should all be walking with God.
It takes a long time for a new born to learn to walk. They will need somebody to take hold of their hand and pick them up when they fall. They have to be fed milk and then weaned gradually on to solid food. And then they will grow in maturity once a solid foundation has been laid on which to continue their walk with God. To rush it is to cause them to lose heart and give up.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are talking to a brand new Christian here and so many people are being legalistic and heavy handed. I have been a Christian for 45 years and never read all the bible. I read what I am guided to read by the Holy Spirit and if I want to know something I ask God. My husband has also been a Christian for many years and read the bible through once and doesn't read it anymore. We are unique. British Christians are not as legalistic as many of those from the US seem to be, Christ has set us free and we are free indeed.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are talking to a brand new Christian here and so many people are being legalistic and heavy handed. I have been a Christian for 45 years and never read all the bible. I read what I am guided to read by the Holy Spirit and if I want to know something I ask God. My husband has also been a Christian for many years and read the bible through once and doesn't read it anymore. We are unique. British Christians are not as legalistic as many of those from the US seem to be, Christ has set us free and we are free indeed.
Lawless woman, you have no fear of God before your eyes. You have been a "christian" for 45 years and you have never read the entire Bible? You are not a disciple of Jesus Christ. No. You are a fool; and your husband should be utterly ashamed of himself for not making sure that you abide in the entire Word of the Lord.
So you judge me? I love God and have been in a personal relationship with Jesus for a very long time. I have read the bible but never from cover to cover. I read it every day and the Holy Spirit reveals its truths to me. And I think it is you that should feel shame for being so judgmental. What denomination or organisation do you belong to that gives you the right to say these things?

Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lawless woman, you have no fear of God before your eyes. You have been a "christian" for 45 years and you have never read the entire Bible? You are not a disciple of Jesus Christ. No. You are a fool
What a shame a simple question from a Brand NEW Christian, from a household of Atheists, leads to this vitriol.

Not every thread needs to be a debate thread.

Jax-y asked for opinions how best to start reading the Bible. We should be identified and known for our humility and love for one another, not such acrimony toward other Christians who happen to have a different opinion than you do.

If you want to start a debate thread on the merits of reading the whole Bible compared to a spiritual led walk, by all means, please do so. Let's keep this thread focused on a young man trying to do the right thing, by God.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Disgusting.

Hey @Jaxy -don't be discouraged, you will meet all kinds along the path. Christ will guide your steps and tell you when to take evasive manoeuvers! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pearl

Bible_Patrol

Jan 1, 2023
Stockholm
www.shorturl.at
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Disgusting.

Hey @Jaxy -don't be discouraged, you will meet all kinds along the path. Christ will guide your steps and tell you when to take evasive manoeuvers! :rolleyes:
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

When the gates of hell are opened, all kinds of demons come crawling out from shadow. Just in the last couple of days we've seen all sorts of spirits manifest here.

Reactions: Wrangler and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It was never a debate. The simple fact of the matter is that the foolish woman I wrote to has absolutely no business calling herself a christian. If that offends her, then so be it.
Who are you to decide who can call themselves a Christian? God looks at my heart and knows the truth what is there so I don't need your approval. I don't even know what sort of organisation you belong to as I have asked but you won't say.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The simple fact of the matter is that the foolish woman I wrote to has absolutely no business calling herself a christian.
Bless your heart! It is not a fact but your very humble opinion.

Since you are the world's foremost expert on the Bible, who could teach Jesus and God, himself a thing or two about what it contains and how to apply it, meditate on this Romans 14:1, 13, James 4:11-12.

Again, I invite you to start a new thread to spread your particular brand of love and humility. It's free! Make a blessed day.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fully agree with you Pearl. :)

Yesterday I just finished reading 4 translations of the Bible, from cover to cover. But that is me. My Pastor pointed out last year that reading the whole Bible is NOT a command.

In another thread, I referenced my devout Catholic grandmothers who walked with Christ for a combined 150 years. Neither one of them ever read the Bible. I'll defer to the loving life they led over the prognostications of a newbie here, one @Bible_Patrol.

You have been a Christian for 45 years! Praise God!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hating I disrupted an otherwise well replied thread.
Hi Rocky,
I understood exactly what you meant, prayer for a good mentor for our new sister would be another thing! If I were tossed into the old testament right at the start, I'd most likely be so overwhelmed as to walk away...yes, milk for the newer ones coming up in the Life of Christ, amen.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe the bible was EVER meant to be read cover to cover but, "studied". It's not IN chronological order anyway.
Why would some here pile on more than a babe in Christ could ever handle?? Kind of like the Pharisees who placed burdens on the new Christians in Jesus time. they're BABE'S!
Amen... :) I've never read the whole OT through like a novel, lol.

Reactions: Pearl and Mr E