What Order Should a New Christian Read the Bible in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not a good plan for a very new Christian.
@Pearl ... Love your advice here... And may I add...

12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. - Hebrews 5

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl ... Love your advice here... And may I add...

12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. - Hebrews 5
Thanks - I think.

• Haha
Reactions: Nancy and Mr E

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks - I think.
Gee... Hopefully I worded that correctly...

1. Milk - For those first starting
2. Meat - For those with a foundation well set.

You have laid out material that is great for those first starting. I hope I did not create confusion with my KJV lingo.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gee... Hopefully I worded that correctly...

1. Milk - For those first starting
2. Meat - For those with a foundation well set.

You have laid out material that is great for those first starting. I hope I did not create confusion with my KJV lingo.

Hebrews doesn't apply to 'new Christians' Rocky. It addresses those who should be teachers already.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews doesn't apply to 'new Christians' Rocky. It addresses those who should be teachers already.
Hating I disrupted an otherwise well replied thread.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think he was addressing it to me and I'm grateful for that. I did misunderstand at first though but he explained.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Order Should a New Christian Read the Bible in? I have recently discoered faith and really want to read the Bible but not sure what order to go in fully!
I read it from cover to cover in about 10 days time, but having done so, I would recommend reading any of the four gospels first.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I read it from cover to cover in about 10 days time, but having done so, I would recommend reading any of the four gospels first.
I've never been able to read it from beginning to end and it would be especially difficult for a new Christian. I think those who are new to Christianity really benefit from reading about Jesus first. The Old Testament can get rather boring even for those of us who are mature in the faith.

Reactions: Nancy and ScottA

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Order Should a New Christian Read the Bible in? I have recently discoered faith and really want to read the Bible but not sure what order to go in fully!
It seems to me we should all read the entire Bible. I would start at the beginning and read it straight through, unless there are specific things you want to read first.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to me we should all read the entire Bible. I would start at the beginning and read it straight through, unless there are specific things you want to read first.
That's not really good advice to a new christian. I've been a Christian for a long time but still get bogged down in the Old Testament. Best to start reading about the Saviour they have just committed their lives to. The rest is history and will be opened to them by the Holy Spirit when the time is right.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not really good advice to a new christian. I've been a Christian for a long time but still get bogged down in the Old Testament. Best to start reading about the Saviour they have just committed their lives to. The rest is history and will be opened to them by the Holy Spirit when the time is right.
I think we all need to read the entire Bible. If you don't read the historical books in order, it would be very confusing. If there is something in the Bible they would like to read first, then read it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think we all need to read the entire Bible. If you don't read the historical books in order, it would be very confusing. If there is something in the Bible they would like to read first, then read it.
But that is not important to a new convert - first and foremost they need to build a personal relationship with Jesus - the other stuff can come later. I have never felt the need to read the bible through from cover to cover. But my relationship with Jesus is solid, built on the Rock himself - Jesus not Peter.