What Order Should a New Christian Read the Bible in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Rocky,
I understood exactly what you meant, prayer for a good mentor for our new sister would be another thing! If I were tossed into the old testament right at the start, I'd most likely be so overwhelmed as to walk away...yes, milk for the newer ones coming up in the Life of Christ, amen.

I mean, Genesis and Exodus are pretty good reads. Particularly if one is a history buff, or has an interest in Moses' story as he records it. But from there, the next two books are awful to the extent that many people abandon the scriptures (and their New Year Bible reading plans) because of them. And there are many wonderful stories in the Old Testament. They should be read, but that's not what this thread was asking about.

People-- stay focused! :tearsofjoy: A new believer asked what order should a new believer read the Bible in.

Reactions: Nancy

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I consider reading the Bible a blessing, privilege and honor - not a duty.

You should not have to cajole anyone to take advantage of privileges afforded us in our time. In ages past, many people could not read and even if they could, there were relatively very few books. I might have more books in my personal collection than were in the Library of Alexandria. Despite all our blessings, we still find it hard to be charitable and long suffering with one another. And I don't mean merely materially. I mean charitable in giving people the benefit of the doubt that, as image bearers of God, they have more value than we perceive.

For instance, even if @Pearl never reads the whole Bible, she remains a child of God of infinite value. @Bible_Patrol seems to have forgotten that we are saved by grace, not works.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I consider reading the Bible a blessing, privilege and honor - not a duty.

You should not have to cajole anyone to take advantage of privileges afforded us in our time. In ages past, many people could not read and even if they could, there were relatively very few books. I might have more books in my personal collection than were in the Library of Alexandria. Despite all our blessings, we still find it hard to be charitable and long suffering with one another. And I don't mean merely materially. I mean charitable in giving people the benefit of the doubt that, as image bearers of God, they have more value than we perceive.

For instance, even if @Pearl never reads the whole Bible, she remains a child of God of infinite value. @Bible_Patrol seems to have forgetten that we are saved by grace, not works.

You must have quite the library... ;)

The library is believed to have housed between 200,000 and 700,000 books (scrolls/parchments)

Interesting to think that all those Old Testament characters-- Prophets, Kings, Judges, and everyone else..... didn't have the old testament

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean, Genesis and Exodus are pretty good reads. Particularly if one is a history buff, or has an interest in Moses' story as he records it. But from there, the next two books are awful to the extent that many people abandon the scriptures (and their New Year Bible reading plans) because of them. And there are many wonderful stories in the Old Testament. They should be read, but that's not what this thread was asking about.

People-- stay focused! :tearsofjoy: A new believer asked what order should a new believer read the Bible in.
Yes this, I agree. Personally, I loved the Books of Genesis, Psalms, proverbs and my favorite...the book of Daniel. As we grow, in my experience, interest in more of Him increased. Then, doing a study way back on the OT prophecies of Christ blew me away hence, my interests broadened but...in the beginning?? Nah. Just read the NT and Genesis...couldn't get into all those endless genealogies :oops:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It takes a long time for a new born to learn to walk. They will need somebody to take hold of their hand and pick them up when they fall. They have to be fed milk and then weaned gradually on to solid food. And then they will grow in maturity once a solid foundation has been laid on which to continue their walk with God. To rush it is to cause them to lose heart and give up.
I think the Lord is best equipped to lead new Christians.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think the Lord is best equipped to lead new Christians.
Exactly! But with input from mature Christians who can answer questions and give advice, in fact the sort of person who was there for me all those years ago. I couldn't have had a better mentor. She was still serving the Lord in her 90s and went home to Jesus last year - 2022.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I disagree - the Old Testament has a tremendous amount of wisdom.
The OT does have a lot of wisdom and I'm not discounting it, it is invaluable as we grow and learn. The way you are promoting starting straight off with the OT I presume you are talking from your own experience as a new Christian and you dived in the deep end straight away reading the whole bible. I'm glad it worked for you but it won't work for everyone, many would give up before they got to the middle of Leviticus - including me.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly! But with input from mature Christians who can answer questions and give advice, in fact the sort of person who was there for me all those years ago. I couldn't have had a better mentor. She was still serving the Lord in her 90s and went home to Jesus last year - 2022.
You were very blessed to have this woman Pearl. Sure wish I had a mentor when sucking my thumb and still on the milk of the word. Had I been so blessed back then, it would be easier to digest the meat of the word that we are told we should be more than ready for at this stage...BUT, NOT for brand new believers until they are ready.
xx

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You were very blessed to have this woman Pearl. Sure wish I had a mentor when sucking my thumb and still on the milk of the word. Had I been so blessed back then, it would be easier to digest the meat of the word that we are told we should be more than ready for at this stage...BUT, NOT for brand new believers until they are ready.
xx
She was lovely Nancy, she was the vicars wife. They had married late in life and she had been a nurse/missionary in Rwanda. Whatever she was doing she would find time to answer questions and never turned me away. it was her parish as much as his. She died last August at the age of 98 and had still been serving the Lord right to the end. I look forward to meeting her in heaven.

Much of my knowledge was gained in the vicarage or on trips to the store groceries, and to hear prominent men of faith speak at events in Manchester.

• Love

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OT does have a lot of wisdom and I'm not discounting it, it is invaluable as we grow and learn. The way you are promoting starting straight off with the OT I presume you are talking from your own experience as a new Christian and you dived in the deep end straight away reading the whole bible. I'm glad it worked for you but it won't work for everyone, many would give up before they got to the middle of Leviticus - including me.
I just think we should read the entire Bible, the sooner the better. That doesn't mean it's the first thing a particular individual will want to do. We are all different.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She was lovely Nancy, she was the vicars wife. They had married late in life and she had been a nurse/missionary in Rwanda. Whatever she was doing she would find time to answer questions and never turned me away. it was her parish as much as his. She died last August at the age of 98 and had still been serving the Lord right to the end. I look forward to meeting her in heaven.

Much of my knowledge was gained in the vicarage or on trips to the store groceries, and to hear prominent men of faith speak at events in Manchester.
She sounds lovely Pearl, and I'm sorry for your loss yet her gain which, is your gain also, if that makes sense, lol.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just think we should read the entire Bible, the sooner the better. That doesn't mean it's the first thing a particular individual will want to do. We are all different.
It was obviously okay for you as a new Christian but not for me and not something I would promote. But I agree the whole bible is important.