What sort of assumption makes one think.......

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To me this is a blatant attack on the authority of Scripture, and something that is explicitly denied in the Bible.

"Prophecy did not come from private interpretation, rather, the holy men of God wrote as the Spirit moved them."

Your claim then is that the OT is a book of false assumptions about God? I have to say, it surprises me to hear you say that.

You seem to have the idea that any and all killing is evil, is that so? That anyone born to this world has the right to possess that life, even against God Himself?

Much love!
Why compartmentalise my post #179? Understand it in its entirety.
There are obvious and serious contradictions in the written word....examples of which I have given. How do you reconcile them?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are obvious and serious contradictions in the written word....examples of which I have given. How do you reconcile them?
Pick one, let's look at it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I'm saying Mark is that God does not have two sides to himself. He is not both good and evil at the same time even though many of the Prophets believed this to be the case and wrote in those terms. Here is one as an example, Isaiah 45:7 “I form the light and create darkness: I make peace and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Jesus, the greater revelation of God clarified many of these misunderstandings about God, for instance he would say 'you have heard said an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth but I say unto you do not resist an evil person....' Matthew 5:38-39....the 'but' nullifies what went before.
I would add, where did they hear of these things Jesus references?......it was from the Prophets.

John, as you know, under the direct influence and walking with Jesus for for three and a half years writes in his opening epistle, 'This is the message which we have heard from him (Jesus) and declare to you that God is light and in him is no darkness at all.

Do we have a contradiction here between what Isaiah wrote and what John came to understand?

There is no contradiction of you pay attention to the words.

I form clay in my hands, but I'm not made of clay. OK. Poor example. But God isn't like me. He can create man, and not be a man. He can create light, and darkness, and be filled with light, with no darkness.

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is no contradiction of you pay attention to the words.

I form clay in my hands, but I'm not made of clay. OK. Poor example. But God isn't like me. He can create man, and not be a man. He can create light, and darkness, and be filled with light, with no darkness.

Much love!
I have choices Mark....I can either be intellectually honest or I can fudge the text and try to shoehorn it into a preconception. The same choice is yours also.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And do you have no comment about my quote from Peter? The origin of the words given by the prophets? It wasn't their thinking. The Holy Spirit moved them to write what they wrote. That's how it is reliable.

A Bible with serious contradictions, what good would that be?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have choices Mark....I can either be intellectually honest or I can fudge the text and try to shoehorn it into a preconception. The same choice is yours also.
Rather than vague allusions, be bold! Be honest! Where would you say I've "fudged the text"? I'm the guy pointing to what it says.

We have ceased from a Scriptural discussion. Care to return?

Much love!

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rather than vague allusions, be bold! Be honest! Where would you say I've "fudged the text"? I'm the guy pointing to what it says.

We have ceased from a Scritpural discussion. Care to return?

Much love!
What you're trying to establish Mark is to me as obvious as a train smash.
You are saying because the prophets were inspired by God as per Peter's words that every single utterance irrespective of context must be taken as stated for time and eternity. I do not hold that view. I've come to understand that Jesus trumps anything that came before him. Does that mean I disregard the Prophets? no, of course not, I put them into their context.

God did not force the hand of the Prophets....he did not hold their hand and move their pen anymore than God tells you how to share the Good News with those around you. You use your own words generated from your own understanding. Is that understanding flawless? Do you stand to learn more or better than you currently do? I'm sure you do.
Having watched your posts; the nature of your replies, I can see you're heart endeavours to see as honestly as you know how; I take my hat off to that.

It is not necessary to nullify God's Word because new light is revealed. The disciples had a massive learning curve....one could say it was shocking.....from expecting a militant Messiah according to their understanding of the Prophets ie, kicking Roman ar.se (which incidentally was the national expectation) to attitudes and understandings which had them submit to Roman execution. How did this come about? It came from a greater vision; a vision inspired by crucified and risen Jesus.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Let's just leave it as that you and I have radically different ideas about what the Bible is.

Much love!
Mark, the scriptures are not faultless in detail, but they are faultless in principle. The Bible isn't word inspired, but thought inspired. The prophets wrote down in their own words, the visions, dreams, thoughts, concepts and ideas revealed to them through inspiration. Hence why all the prophets wrote in different styles, even the NT writers. It's how we can tell certain authors wrote particular books. But the ideas and Godly principles and moral standards and mindsets they wrote about, are all consistent.
The locusts of Revelation 9 for example. John, a first century man was describing what he saw in vision. Did he actually see locusts with armor and tails with stingers like scorpions? Was that a word for word inspired description of that vision, it did he explain it as best he could according to his own time and context? Did he see locusts, or did he see helicopters for example?

KJV Revelation 9:3-10
3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
7 And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can you imagine Abraham's disappointment when God told him to sacrifice Isaac? His disappointment wouldn't have been only in regards the loss of Isaac, but also in God.
"Oh," he likely would have thought. "So that's what you're like. Just like all the rest demanding child sacrifice."
We are all on a learning curve, and the prophets were men just like us. And there is no reason we cannot be just as inspired as they were.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark, the scriptures are not faultless in detail, but they are faultless in principle. The Bible isn't word inspired, but thought inspired.
I'll have to say the same thing to you. We then have radically different ideas of what the Bible is.

Jeremiah 1:9-12 LITV
9) Then Jehovah put out His hand and touched my mouth. And Jehovah said to me, Behold, I have put My Words in your mouth.
10) Behold, I have today appointed you over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to tear down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.
11) And the Word of Jehovah was to me, saying, Jeremiah, what do you see? And I said, I see an almond rod.
12) Then Jehovah said to me, You have seen well; for I will watch over My Word to perform it.

This is another place which affirms for me that I can trust the Bible implicitly. It is God's Very Word. You will never shake me from that faith. By that faith I believe in Jesus the Christ, and by that faith I come to God. By His Word I am redeemed.

Much love!