What Spirit did God pour out on all flesh?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that's not the whole epistle.

1 Corinthians 14:3 "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1 Corinthians 14:31 "For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

the epistle is about LEARNING, get off milk and take in some meat.
I don’t have time to list all of it. But when someone tells a group of men to stop acting like a a bunch of selfish savages (Carnal)... that’s a rebuke

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a friend of about 35years that’s been a part of this carasmatic movement for about 30 of those years. My friend and I were talking the other day and I asked him what gift of the spirit do you posses, he answered the gift of self exhautation. I lovingly told him I never wanted to hear those words come from his mouth again. Because we know of another individual in Gods word that try’s that and it gets him in to a lot of trouble. It amazes me 30 years of the message of Christ and all that’s seen is self!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t have time to list all of it. But when someone tells a group of men to stop acting like a a bunch of selfish savages (Carnal)... that’s a rebuke
was everyone at Corinth rebuked? no.
1 Corinthians 1:1 "Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

1 Corinthians 1:2 "Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

1 Corinthians 1:3 "Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:4 "I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;

1 Corinthians 1:5 "That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

1 Corinthians 1:6 "Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:

1 Corinthians 1:7 "So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:

1 Corinthians 1:8 "Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:9 "God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1 Corinthians 1:11 "For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

in order to be in contention, all was not in ERROR

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
was everyone at Corinth rebuked? no.
1 Corinthians 1:1 "Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

1 Corinthians 1:2 "Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

1 Corinthians 1:3 "Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:4 "I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;

1 Corinthians 1:5 "That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

1 Corinthians 1:6 "Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:

1 Corinthians 1:7 "So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:

1 Corinthians 1:8 "Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:9 "God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1 Corinthians 1:11 "For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

in order to be in contention, all was not in ERROR
1 Corinthians 3:1 KJV
[1] And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

Tecarta Bible PremiumThe brethren

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 3:1 KJV
[1] And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

Tecarta Bible PremiumThe brethren
Not all the brethren, 1 Corinthians 1:11 "For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

it had been reported of the house of Chloe, some quarrels, or disputes to the apostle. These reports were not idle gossip, they were an attempt to get Paul’s assistance in resolving a problem within the church. In the next verses,#12, the source of the quarrel is revealed: the people were divided over whom they should follow for spiritual leadership.

not a rebuke, but problem solving.

PICJAG.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all the brethren, 1 Corinthians 1:11 "For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

it had been reported of the house of Chloe, some quarrels, or disputes to the apostle. These reports were not idle gossip, they were an attempt to get Paul’s assistance in resolving a problem within the church. In the next verses,#12, the source of the quarrel is revealed: the people were divided over whom they should follow for spiritual leadership.

not a rebuke, but problem solving.

PICJAG.
1 Corinthians 4:14 KJV
[14] I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you .
Greek: νουθετέω
Transliteration: noutheteō
Pronunciation: noo-thet-eh'-o
Definition: From the same as G3559; to put in mind that is (by implication) to caution or reprove gently: - admonish warn.
KJV Usage: warn (4x), admonish (4x).
Occurs:
He’s addressing the body of Christ.

Tecarta Bible Premium

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And such is God's custom: He gave the natural seed of Abraham and its promises first and the spiritual and chief seed last; yet in the full completion of his plan, the spiritual seed must be glorified before the natural can have its promises fulfilled (Heb 11:40).

Agree. “yet in the full completion of his plan, the spiritual seed must be glorified before the natural can have its promises fulfilled.”

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 4:14 KJV
[14] I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you .
Greek: νουθετέω
Transliteration: noutheteō
Pronunciation: noo-thet-eh'-o
Definition: From the same as G3559; to put in mind that is (by implication) to caution or reprove gently: - admonish warn.
KJV Usage: warn (4x), admonish (4x).
Occurs:
He’s addressing the body of Christ.

Tecarta Bible Premium
not to all.
1 Corinthians 14:3 "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
no need for any tit for tat, good day.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 7:6-11
[6] Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus; [7] And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the more. [8] For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. [9] Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. [10] For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. [11] For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought (worked)in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

Godly sorrow worketh repentance-to-salvation.

...what clearing of yourselves.
...what indignation
...what fear
...what vehement desire
...what zeal
...what revenge!

2 Corinthians 10:5-8
[5] Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; [6] And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled. [7] Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's. [8] For though I should boast somewhat more of our authority, which the Lord hath given us for edification, and not for your destruction, I should not be ashamed:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
[6] And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
"Avenge" would be more appropriate today. It means to vindicate or administer justice, and in this case to punish. The same word is used in both verses.

Strong's Concordance
ekdikeó: to vindicate, to avenge
Original Word: ἐκδικέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: ekdikeó
Phonetic Spelling: (ek-dik-eh'-o)
Definition: to vindicate, to avenge
Usage: I give justice over, defend, avenge, vindicate.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So that’s what the pouring out of the Spirit accomplishes. It corrects.
I'm not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit is primarily for the salvation of souls, but the Holy Spirit has many other ministries in the lives of both the lost and the saved.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have a friend of about 35years that’s been a part of this carasmatic movement for about 30 of those years. My friend and I were talking the other day and I asked him what gift of the spirit do you posses, he answered the gift of self exhautation. I lovingly told him I never wanted to hear those words come from his mouth again. Because we know of another individual in Gods word that try’s that and it gets him in to a lot of trouble. It amazes me 30 years of the message of Christ and all that’s seen is self!
It would be good if what goes for spiritual enthusiasm were always a case of 'the word of God grew and multiplied'...so often instead it's the energy of the flesh.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit is primarily for the salvation of souls, but the Holy Spirit has many other ministries in the lives of both the lost and the saved.
Proverbs 15:10 KJV
[10] Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die.

Tecarta Bible Premium

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 16:7-11
[7] Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. [8] And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: [9] Of sin, because they believe not on me; [10] Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; [11] Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Strong's Concordance
elegchó: to expose, convict, reprove
Original Word: ἐλέγχω
Transliteration: elegchó
Phonetic Spelling: (el-eng'-kho)
Definition: to expose, convict, reprove
Usage: (a) I reprove, rebuke, discipline, (b) I expose, show to be guilty.
HELPS Word-studies
1651 elégxō – properly, to convince with solid, compelling evidence, especially to expose (prove wrong, connect).

Reactions: Waiting on him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Avenge" would be more appropriate today. It means to vindicate or administer justice, and in this case to punish. The same word is used in both verses.

Strong's Concordance
ekdikeó: to vindicate, to avenge
Original Word: ἐκδικέω
Transliteration: ekdikeó
Phonetic Spelling: (ek-dik-eh'-o)
Definition: to vindicate, to avenge
Usage: I give justice over, defend, avenge, vindicate.

Ok. Avenge then. Or ‘to punish’ all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled. Or ‘revenge’. Why do you not favour the word ‘revenge’ there?
2 Corinthians 10:6 Lexicon: and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 16:7-11
[7] Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. [8] And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: [9] Of sin, because they believe not on me; [10] Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; [11] Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Strong's Concordance
elegchó: to expose, convict, reprove
Original Word: ἐλέγχω
Transliteration: elegchó
Phonetic Spelling: (el-eng'-kho)
Definition: to expose, convict, reprove
Usage: (a) I reprove, rebuke, discipline, (b) I expose, show to be guilty.
HELPS Word-studies
1651 elégxō – properly, to convince with solid, compelling evidence, especially to expose (prove wrong, connect).
Sometimes I wonder if I’m reading the same book as everyone else!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why do you not favour the word ‘revenge’ there?
*Revenge* is associated with retaliation for personal injuries. But *avenge* is associated with the administration of justice, particularly by God. God says "Vengeance is mine".

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And unless a sinner is convicted and convinced by the Holy Spirit, he will not be saved. So once again, this leads to salvation, beginning with the gift of the Holy Ghost. That is what the outpouring was all about.

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:37,38)