What 'Unorthodox' doctrine has come into the church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are history of what the early church believed. And, they were taught by the Apostles themselves. I already posted proof that Matthew text was not added later.
I have learned over the years that people will believe what they want to believe until God changes their minds. What the early church believed is NOT what the Apostles taught. I'm certain that you have been told that it is for so long, that nothing will dissuade you.
On the last day, we will answer for our words, beliefs, and actions. I'm concerned mostly for my own.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the topic of followers of Yeshua not having the spirit of God within them AND the question of the baptism formula, I offer evidence. Note that, if the triune baptism formula is a stated in our current bibles is required, then we have the Apostle Paul violating that requirement.

Ac 19:1–7 And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland country and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples. And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John’s baptism.” And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. There were about twelve men in all.

I have attached the interlinear version for those who use things like that for understanding.

Attachments

• act19 v1 to 7.pdf
    19.8 KB · Views: 1

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, sir, I suppose that no other verse in scripture has reference to any baptism in the Triune formula does not serve as evidence to you, and the Didache and ECF letters are not scripture. Your efforts to justify your Trinitarian position may well serve you, but you still have shown me any verses similar to "I am Yahweh, and I use to be alone, but now I have another god for you."
But we have to understand who is 'Yahweh'...

Reactions: The Learner

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have learned over the years that people will believe what they want to believe until God changes their minds. What the early church believed is NOT what the Apostles taught. I'm certain that you have been told that it is for so long, that nothing will dissuade you.
On the last day, we will answer for our words, beliefs, and actions. I'm concerned mostly for my own.
""Eighty-six years I have been his servant. How can I blaspheme my King who saved me?" These words were spoken by Polycarp. Polycarp was the bishop at the church at Smyrna. Last week we looked at Ignatius. Ignatius was bishop at Antioch. Both Antioch and Smyrna were significant cities in the New Testament. And there's another connection. Both Ignatius and Polycarp were the disciples of John. "

"
Polycarp was a bishop of the early church, a disciple of the apostle John, a contemporary of Ignatius, and the teacher of Irenaeus. According to Irenaeus, Polycarp “was instructed by the apostles, and was brought into contact with many who had seen Christ.” He lived from the latter half of the first century to the mid-second century. Polycarp was martyred by the Romans, and his death was influential, even among the pagans.

Polycarp was one of the Apostolic Fathersa group of church leaders and early Christian writers who directly followed the apostles. Unfortunately, the only extant writing by Polycarp is his letter to the Philippians, but he is mentioned in other documents including “The Martyrdom of Polycarp” and a few papers written by Irenaeus."

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the topic of followers of Yeshua not having the spirit of God within them AND the question of the baptism formula, I offer evidence. Note that, if the triune baptism formula is a stated in our current bibles is required, then we have the Apostle Paul violating that requirement.

Ac 19:1–7 And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland country and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples. And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John’s baptism.” And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. There were about twelve men in all.

I have attached the interlinear version for those who use things like that for understanding.
As pointed out before even with scripture quotes " in the name of the Lord Jesus" refers to by who's authority something is done. It is not a Baptism formula, Brother, freidn.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Brother, you need a truer translation. Godhead was never there.
Act_17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Rom_1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Col_2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Are you in denial re the Godhead?

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Act_17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Rom_1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Col_2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Are you in denial re the Godhead?
I am in denial of bibles that contains words not given in the source manuscripts.

Ac 17:29 Being then God’s offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man.

Ro 1:20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Col 2:9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,

Attachments

• Acts 17 v29.jpg
    Acts 17 v29.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Col 2 v9.jpg
    Col 2 v9.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 2
  • Romans 1 v20.jpg
    Romans 1 v20.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 2

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I am in denial of bibles that contains words not given in the source manuscripts.

Ac 17:29 Being then God’s offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man.

Ro 1:20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Right there- but you don't see it-since you can't read Greek.
Cognate with Theos , there are three other words to be noted :
1. Theotes , rendered "Deity", and used of Christ. Occurs only in Col_2:9, and has relation to the Godhead personally ; while

2. Theiotes , rendered "Deity" also, is Deity in the abstract . Occurs only in Rom_1:20.

3. Theios , rendered "Divine", and is used of Christ. Occurs only in 2Pe_1:3; 2Pe_1:4; and, with the Article, in Act_17:29, where it is rendered "Godhead". Gr. = that which [is] Divine.

Act 17:29 Then man being of the offspring and family of YAHWEH, we ought not to suppose that the Sovereign Deity is like gold or silver or stone, engraved by art and the imagination of man.

2)"We ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto," (ouk opheilomen nomizein to theoin einai homosoion) "We ought not to suppose (hypothesize that) the Divine nature-one (God) to be like, compared with, or similar to," there exists neither thing nor creature of His class, with whom He may be compared or paralleled, Isa_40:18; Isa_40:25; Isa_46:5; La 2:13.

Rest be assured-the KJV is correct here.

• Love

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Meant as a good thing. Your icon reminds me of Adam 12, McCoy

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right there- but you don't see it-since you can't read Greek.
Cognate with Theos , there are three other words to be noted :
1. Theotes , rendered "Deity", and used of Christ. Occurs only in Col_2:9, and has relation to the Godhead personally ; while

2. Theiotes , rendered "Deity" also, is Deity in the abstract . Occurs only in Rom_1:20.

3. Theios , rendered "Divine", and is used of Christ. Occurs only in 2Pe_1:3; 2Pe_1:4; and, with the Article, in Act_17:29, where it is rendered "Godhead". Gr. = that which [is] Divine.

Act 17:29 Then man being of the offspring and family of YAHWEH, we ought not to suppose that the Sovereign Deity is like gold or silver or stone, engraved by art and the imagination of man.

2)"We ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto," (ouk opheilomen nomizein to theoin einai homosoion) "We ought not to suppose (hypothesize that) the Divine nature-one (God) to be like, compared with, or similar to," there exists neither thing nor creature of His class, with whom He may be compared or paralleled, Isa_40:18; Isa_40:25; Isa_46:5; La 2:13.

Rest be assured-the KJV is correct here.
Thanks for the lesson Bro!!!

Reactions: Johann

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
""Eighty-six years I have been his servant. How can I blaspheme my King who saved me?" These words were spoken by Polycarp. Polycarp was the bishop at the church at Smyrna. Last week we looked at Ignatius. Ignatius was bishop at Antioch. Both Antioch and Smyrna were significant cities in the New Testament. And there's another connection. Both Ignatius and Polycarp were the disciples of John. "

"
Polycarp was a bishop of the early church, a disciple of the apostle John, a contemporary of Ignatius, and the teacher of Irenaeus. According to Irenaeus, Polycarp “was instructed by the apostles, and was brought into contact with many who had seen Christ.” He lived from the latter half of the first century to the mid-second century. Polycarp was martyred by the Romans, and his death was influential, even among the pagans.

Polycarp was one of the Apostolic Fathersa group of church leaders and early Christian writers who directly followed the apostles. Unfortunately, the only extant writing by Polycarp is his letter to the Philippians, but he is mentioned in other documents including “The Martyrdom of Polycarp” and a few papers written by Irenaeus."
Interesting note on Polycarp, we find that Polycarp visited Rome to confront the bishop of Rome over the differences that existed between the Christians in the early church and Rome "with regard to certain things" and especially about the time of the Pasch or Passover which in Rome had now been changed to the Easter festivals. (Can we say a 'Unorthodox Doctrine')

Irenaeus says that Polycarp, the bishop of Smyrna, observed the fourteenth day of the moon, whatever day of the week that might be, following therein the tradition which he derived from John the Apostle. Irenaeus said that on certain things the two bishops speedily came to an understanding, while as to the time of the Pasch and the change to Easter, each adhered to his own custom. Polycarp following the eastern practice of celebrating Passover on the 14th of Nisan, the day of the Jewish Passover, regardless of what day of the week it fell while the bishop of Rome let it be observed on Sunday.

So the Bishop of Rome ignored the warning and continued to allow the Passover to be observed on Sunday at the pagan Spring Equinox festival connected to the goddess Eostre the "goddess of sunrise" so this is how the Pasch was change to the festival of Easter. But not only was it just the festival but had been elevated as more pagan converts came in, they were allowed to worship on the pagan day of worship which they were used to, while Christians continued to worship on Sabbath.

When Polycarp was martyred for standing against the pagan worship, the Smyrnaean letter known as the Martyrdom of Polycarp states that Polycarp was taken on the day of the Sabbath and killed on the Great Sabbath, so we see that he observed the Sabbath....

• Love

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And we see what happens when you mix in the things of this world, the idols, with the divine..
'
Exodus 32:1-6

Moses had placed Aaron in charge while he received instruction from God on Mount Sinai. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, Aaron probably lacked the conviction or courage to fill Moses' shoes adequately in his absence. To stall for time, he asked the people to contribute to the cause, hoping to deter them. Understanding the principle of "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:21), he asked them to donate some of their jewelry.
His plan failed. They eagerly gave of their treasure, showing where their heart really was. Now Aaron had to go through with it, and he did.
A major motivator in the process of apostasy is contained within the words, "Moses delayed his coming." Impatience, weariness with the way, and the constant struggle without any indication of relief are all included. God repeats this in the New Testament, when Christ warns that the evil servant says, "My master is delaying His coming" (Matthew 24:48; Luke 12:45). God emphasizes it just in case His children's endurance begins to lag. He does not want anyone to turn aside to some exciting distraction in the surrounding culture.
Unfortunately, that is what occurred here. The impatience and the weariness of their struggle moved the Israelites to take their eyes off the Promised Land, their goal. Instead they focused on a more exciting and stimulating practice from the world they had just left.
The key to this process is found in verses 4 and 5, in the words, "This is your god, O Israel" and "Aaron made a proclamation and said, 'Tomorrow is a feast to the LORD.'" Can God be worshipped in any form as long as it is dedicated to the Lord? Does that please God? Did this celebration become a feast to the Lord because a man in authority like Aaron proclaimed it? Is God pleased when His people worship Him in ways other than what He has prescribed? God's reaction to their idolatrous festivities plainly shows they had turned aside from what He had delivered to them through Moses (Exodus 32:10).

The world's theologians call this process syncretism, which means "the combination of different forms of belief or practice; the fusion of two or more original forms." The incident of the Golden Calf blends the worship of the true God with the worship of false gods, and the result is proclaimed to be worship of which the true God approves....

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Polycarp was martyred for standing against the pagan worship, the Smyrnaean letter known as the Martyrdom of Polycarp states that Polycarp was taken on the day of the Sabbath and killed on the Great Sabbath, so we see that he observed the Sabbath....
You're gonna have to explain that logic to me.