What Was Jesus Like?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
My opinion...and this is just my opinion...I think Jesus Christ in His family life was miserable. I believe Joseph wouldn't have shown much affection to Him for obvious reasons. He would have done his obvious duty but still, Jesus was not his and he knew it. And I believe Jesus other brothers knew it due to Josephs lack of affection. I believe Jesus endured much suffering in His early years long before He entered His public ministry.

Stranger
Do you remember that a angel spoke to Joseph?
Mathew 1:20

Do you remember what Joseph did to protect his son?
Joseph was, after all, His earthly father and he had experienced such supernatural happenings that Joseph must have known that Jesus was a special boy.
Mathew 2:13-23

I think Joseph was probably a very good father and this is why God chose this particular family for Jesus. He seemed very well adjusted as an adult.
Luke 2:52
Luke 2:46-47

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you remember that a angel spoke to Joseph?
Mathew 1:20

Do you remember what Joseph did to protect his son?
Joseph was, after all, His earthly father and he had experienced such supernatural happenings that Joseph must have known that Jesus was a special boy.
Mathew 2:13-23

I think Joseph was probably a very good father and this is why God chose this particular family for Jesus. He seemed very well adjusted as an adult.
Luke 2:52
Luke 2:46-47

I'm sure Joseph was a good dutiful father. I just don't think he would have felt that attachement and love toward Jesus that he would his own. And once he had his own, I think his affection would be given to them. It is just an opinion of mine.

Stranger

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I'm sure Joseph was a good dutiful father. I just don't think he would have felt that attachement and love toward Jesus that he would his own. And once he had his own, I think his affection would be given to them. It is just an opinion of mine.

Stranger
All opinions are respected.
Anything could be.
None of us was there and this was not spoken of.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My opinion...and this is just my opinion...I think Jesus Christ in His family life was miserable. I believe Joseph wouldn't have shown much affection to Him for obvious reasons. He would have done his obvious duty but still, Jesus was not his and he knew it. And I believe Jesus other brothers knew it due to Josephs lack of affection. I believe Jesus endured much suffering in His early years long before He entered His public ministry.

Stranger

There are many adoptive fathers and stepfathers who show their adopted/step-children great affection, even if they have children of their own later. In the absence of any evidence either way, let's give Joseph the benefit of the doubt.

I think a far greater cause of family friction would have been Jesus' sinlessness. What can it have been like for his younger siblings to have had a sinless older brother? Perhaps this accounts for His brothers' coolness towards Him as depicted in the gospels.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many adoptive fathers and stepfathers who show their adopted/step-children great affection, even if they have children of their own later. In the absence of any evidence either way, let's give Joseph the benefit of the doubt.

I think a far greater cause of family friction would have been Jesus' sinlessness. What can it have been like for his younger siblings to have had a sinless older brother? Perhaps this accounts for His brothers' coolness towards Him as depicted in the gospels.

But the adoptive fathers know they are adopting. This was sprung on Joseph. And, he did want to put her away instead of having her and the baby at the first.

And, would Jesus as a child respond to Joseph in a son/father way? Did he not say at about 12 years of age, "know ye not I must be about my father's business"?

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The N.T. gives us some clues as to how Jesus behaved and acted.
It gives us a clue into His character and personality.

What was Jesus like in your opinion?
addressing the OP. just one word would sum up his life....... "Holy". which he was before the foundation of the world, and is now, and always will be.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But the adoptive fathers know they are adopting. This was sprung on Joseph. And, he did want to put her away instead of having her and the baby at the first.

And, would Jesus as a child respond to Joseph in a son/father way? Did he not say at about 12 years of age, "know ye not I must be about my father's business"?

Stranger
1) I think you are underestimating Joseph; Matthew depicts him as being unusually generous and willing to do the best for his wife, even before he knew all the facts - so why not her son also? And we are told that he shared Mary's anxiety when Jesus went missing (Luke 2:48).

2) Luke tells us that Jesus "was obedient to them" - i.e. to both His parents (Luke 2:51). His words in verse 49 are not His philosophy of life but an explanation as to why they should have looked for Him in the Temple first of all, rather than only after three days (they could also be translated as "in My Father's house").

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
addressing the OP. just one word would sum up his life....... "Holy". which he was before the foundation of the world, and is now, and always will be.
Yes 101.
But is Jesus GOD or not?
Your long post seemed to say He was ONLY the son of God and Not God.
I hear now that you say He is God.

Which is it, please?
I thought we were going to discuss this?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked you one simple question under the heading
“Jesus is a human being but not the one true God” and you answered me
Don't wait 101.

then you turn around and now asked, "But is Jesus GOD or not?".
Which is it, please?

yes, we can discuss it after you answer my Revelation 1:1 question, and if you refuse, in your own words, Don't wait GG... :p

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I asked you one simple question under the heading
“Jesus is a human being but not the one true God” and you answered me
Don't wait 101.

then you turn around and now asked, "But is Jesus GOD or not?".
Which is it, please?

yes, we can discuss it after you answer my Revelation 1:1 question, and if you refuse, in your own words, Don't wait GG... :p
Sorry.

I wrote THIS first.
Then I realized something.
THEN I wrote "Don't Wait".

Go with the Don't Wait.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1) I think you are underestimating Joseph; Matthew depicts him as being unusually generous and willing to do the best for his wife, even before he knew all the facts - so why not her son also? And we are told that he shared Mary's anxiety when Jesus went missing (Luke 2:48).

2) Luke tells us that Jesus "was obedient to them" - i.e. to both His parents (Luke 2:51). His words in verse 49 are not His philosophy of life but an explanation as to why they should have looked for Him in the Temple first of all, rather than only after three days (they could also be translated as "in My Father's house").

Again, I am just giving an opinion.

As I said before, he was willing to put Mary away with the child at the beginning. He can be obedient to God after that, yet still his emotions don't have to change. If my child was with a friend at a gathering like this, and the friend went missing, I would be anxious to find them also. It doesn't mean I show the same affection for them as I do my child.

Of course Jesus would be obedient to His parents. How could He not be? That doesn't prove anything.

(Luke 2:49) shows that Christ knew who His Father was. And it wasn't Joseph.

Stranger

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

Stranger

If not Joseph what about other children, was the young Jesus feared?

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you read the book of Matthew! this is the King from Heaven, laying down the Constitution of Heaven- [ Rules ] Kingdom is mentioned 55 times. read Jeremiah 23:5
If you read Mark! you will find that Jesus is Preaching, Teaching, and healing, He is about His Fathers Business, a Servant. read Zechariah 3:8
If you read Luke, you will find that He is called the Son of Man. Son of Man is mentioned 25 times, 24 are red letter! read Zechariah 6:12.
If you read John, you will find that He is the Lamb of God, the Son of God, the Begotten of God. Son of God is mentioned 29 times. read Isaiah 4:2-4.
The book of the revelation, He is the Judge. read Jeremiah 33:15- also Isaiah 11:1. there is 5 times in these OT verses that the BRANCH is mentioned where it is all Capital letters, and they correlate with the Five Gospels, yes the book of Revelation is a Gospel.
Maybe with this Info you might be able to understand the Person of Our Savior!
Isaiah 11:1 if you look up the Hebrew word for Branch you will find it is Netser, strongs #5342, all the other ones refer to strongs #6780.
The word Netser means that a branch or shout will come up from the root of a tree, common with Olive trees, even if the tree was cut down a shout will come up some distance from the Original trunk. during the occupation of the Greek's, some of the decedents of David moved to the area of the Galilee, also known as Galilee of the Gentiles, They started a town called Nesteraret, now called Nazareth. Jesus was born in Bethlehem, but when they came back from Egypt they lived in Nazareth, both places were towns of their forefathers. Bethlehem being the land of Davids Inheritance!
Thank You Gods Grace & bbyrd009, I lernt a new thing, almost

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If not Joseph what about other children, was the young Jesus feared?

Feared? I would say no. They may have despised Him, but He wouldn't have been feared. My opinion. Though Jesus was part of that family I don't think He would have had a normal 'happy' childhood.

Stranger

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are right, Jesus was not being disrespectful, He was only asking why didn't you look Here First, My Fathers House!!!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was a lonely man. Except for the Heavenly Father there was no one to really draw close too. The immature fleshly disciples were not able to draw close to Him. They loved Him yes but He was a man with a heavenly mission. He was here on a round trip ticket.

So many old testament scriptures tell us much about Him. Especially Isaiah 53. He was a man of sorrows and well acquainted with grief. God has a tremendous sense of humor. Once I awakened my wife as I was laughing in my sleep. She asked "what are you laughing at"? for it was in the wee hours.

I said "Jesus just told me a joke". It was true, with a thought toward John the Baptist as I slept He remarked "that hair shirt gets itchy when it gets dry doesn't it"? The quiet humor and light heartedness of His words were so obvious, so uplifting. His voice was just filled with joy. I am constantly hungry for anything He has to say!

He teaches serious lessons in an easy yet powerful way. Once as I read the account of John the Baptist's imprisonment and subsequent beheading I paused and asked "Lord how do I keep from losing MY head"?!

The answer from Him was instant and I laughed right aloud. "put it in a safe place" was His matter of fact wisdom. I laughed but understood.

He is so inventive, wise send diverse in His ways of answering our prayers. Like the tax money in the fish's mouth. After church one night we stopped at the market to pick up a few things. Going out to our car we began a conversation with a couple parked nearby.

We began sharing about Jesus and being Christians they chimed right in so we traded testimonies. Then they said something that took me aback. It made me ask them to repeat it since I thought my ears had deceived me.

They said again "He had the dogs give us a baby shower"!

"what"? Was my amazed reply.

They recounted the events to us. The wife was pregnant and they were waiting expectantly for their first child to be born. They were not well to do and had very little. They needed everything and had nothing. As they sat in their home one night they heard noises outside. Dogs were barking and growling, having a big fight. The husband went to the door and turned on the outside light and as he did several dogs began to run away. His yells scared off the last of them.

They had been fighting over the contents of a large paper bag or bags that were lying in the grass. He gathered the stuff and brought it into the house. The large quantity of items amazed them. Still in new packaging were baby blankets, diapers, oils, powders, several baby outfits, rattles, on and on. Everything for a new baby. The dogs had been sent by Jesus to give them a much needed baby shower!

Truly Jesus' ways are past finding out! He is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. How is He we ask. What's He like?

He REALLY dies know exactly how we feel and responds with compassion. I sat weeping in my greenhouse one moonlit night. Overcome with grief and heaviness. I noticed that I was slowly nodding my head up and down in a yes motion and saying over and over "you felt these same things, you felt these same things"! He had let me know that He'd been there too. He REALLY IS TOUCHED by the feelings of our weaknesses, our infirmities, our grief, pain and sadness. Whatever you feel He feels also. Joy, anger, hurt, compassion, excitement. Every single thing. For those that pursue Him with the whole heart there awaits a wealth of the love and tender care of our beautiful savior.

The same savior that wanted to hear what was being spoken of him by those rejoicing at His resurrection. "what things"? he asked.
He is closer than you know. I have been with him 40 years now and there is so much I don't know. His love is so big. In time your capacity to understand more of him will increase. In any relationship time is required to nurture the union. Keep walking with Him and grow closer.

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
We began sharing about Jesus and being Christians they chimed right in so we traded testimonies. Then they said something that made me ask them to repeat it.

To be continued... I hope.

Reactions: Helen

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's continued above. I accidently hit the reply key before I was ready. I'm half asleep lying on the couch as I type this LOL!

Reactions: Helen

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The N.T. gives us some clues as to how Jesus behaved and acted.
It gives us a clue into His character and personality.

What was Jesus like in your opinion?

I would say a whole lot like Gandalf the wizard in that he could be both gracious and short tempered.