What will happen to Christians who reject the Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was asked the question on another forum, "What will happen to all those Christians who don't worship on the Sabbath?" I gave the following answer... there are some verses that give a clear answer. Here is what best applies....
Acts 17:24-30
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

When we unknowingly make a honest mistake, Gods grace is sufficient and He winks at our ignorance. But when we in all fullness of understanding knowingly do it.......

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to be straightforward when it comes to Gods truth and not rebel against it, as we see what Samuel said to King Saul...

1 Samuel 15:23
For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There will come a time when time no longer exists.
There will be no days or nights or weeks or years.
All these things are temporary.
Only Jesus is forever.
Jesus is our Sabbath. He is where we find peace and release from our burdens. He is where we no longer have to work to earn our wages.
He is that door we enter into to find rest.

Mat 11:28
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Gen 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

The Sabbath isn't so much about a day, as it is a place we enter into. And Jesus is that place.

Heb 3:18
And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
Heb 3:19
So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

There are some that say this day is the right way, or that day is the right way...
But I believe there is only One Way.

Hugs

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There are seven days in the week on which to praise and worship God. Seven days in the week on which to rest in his presence.

Not everybody can get to a fellowship meeting on a Sunday but we all have seven days in a week on which to make the time to talk to him, spend time with him in prayer and worship him.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There will come a time when time no longer exists.
There will be no days or nights or weeks or years.
All these things are temporary.
Only Jesus is forever.
Jesus is our Sabbath. He is where we find peace and release from our burdens. He is where we no longer have to work to earn our wages.
He is that door we enter into to find rest.

Mat 11:28
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

The Sabbath isn't so much about a day, as it is a place we enter into. And Jesus is that place.

Heb 3:18
And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
Heb 3:19
So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

There are some that say this day is the right way, or that day is the right way...
But I believe there is only One Way.

Hugs
You forget the New Jerusalem will come down to earth, so as the scriptures says the Sabbath will continue in the kingdom.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You forget the New Jerusalem will come down to earth, so as the scriptures says the Sabbath will continue in the kingdom.

Rev 21:1
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3
And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Rev 21:5
And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Rev 21:6
And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Rev 21:7
He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Gen 2:2
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

There will be no other days other than the Sabbath.
We will be in it.
And Jesus is the door to the Kingdom. And if you are in him, then you are already there.
My flesh still exists in this place and time, but my spirit is with the Lord.
Jesus is my resting place.

Hugs

Reactions: marks and amadeus

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we're going to keep the sabboth then we would have to keep all the other laws. But Christians have never followed the Old Testament laws, they were meant for Israel.
So adultery and stealing are ok for Christians, need to rethink that.

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There are certain universal moral laws that are reiterated in the New Testament, stealing and adultery are among them. Jesus did many things on the sabbath that would have been unlawful under the old covenant (Mat 12 ), but we live under a new and better covenant.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are certain universal moral laws that are reiterated in the New Testament, stealing and adultery are among them. Jesus did many things on the sabbath that would have been unlawful under the old covenant (Mat 12 ), but we live under a new and better covenant.
So what are these 'universal' laws and from whom do they emanate from?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Virtually 99 to 100% of the arguments objecting to the literal keeping of all ten of the commandments simply didn't exist 50 years ago.

I've asked many times for a reference to something published or preached pre-1980 and I've gotten no response at all.

No one ever worried about being judged for Sabbath-breaking because because everyone knew that Colossians 2 and other Pauline texts about days referred to ceremonial law. Even Billy Graham said so. They either saw themselves as commandment-keepers or they didn't.

The arguments among Christians were always about whether to observe Saturday or Sunday.

I often think that many of the older folks who argue against the literal keeping of the 4th commandment must not have been devout until recently because the anti-Sabbath echo chamber on the Internet has its roots entirely in post-modernism and political correctness, i.e., deconstructionism; "don't judge me!" (And the world scoffs at Christian ambiguity and inconsistency while neo-Christianity mimicks them.)

I've never been intimidated whatsoever by what people on social media call "judging." Judgment that can only object to what I do or don't do with a keyboard is completely toothless.

I'm certain that what Paul was talking about in Colossians 2 pertained to being careful not to let what other people say dictate to their own conscience with regard to belief and practice. It is not addressed to the "judge." That is found elsewhere in Scripture. The sharpest criticisms of Sabbath-defending in the NT came from Christ Himself about HOW—not WHETHER.

But in Col 2, "judging" is tied to a form of the word "Sabbath," so people who have no tradition of Sabbath-keeping find it useful for making a case that those who REMIND others about the commandment that begins with the word "REMEMBER" should keep still.

Paul also says in Romans 10: "How shall they hear without a preacher?"

People who kill, steal, idolize, and lie say "don't judge me" when the evangelist comes to town.

Should the evangelist be accosted with the counsel that every man must "be convinced in his own mind" about these things with no influence of his mouth?

It's no fun telling people things they don't want to hear, but I'd rather do so than be found guilty of withholding the blessings that Christ wants His children to have in the Sabbath. I really don't think He's anxious to cramp anyone's style:

Isa 58:13-14

If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour Him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

Youtube - "The Biology Of The Sabbath"

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what are these 'universal' laws and from whom do they emanate from?

Moral laws that are found in both the old and new covenants: prohibitions against murder, theft, adultery, and bearing false witness. Keeping sexually pure, honoring our parents, not following other gods, etc. Jesus really only gave one commandment: to love one another. Moral laws, like natural laws, come from God; they govern humanity.

Are you advocating for strict observance of the Sabbath?

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to be straightforward when it comes to Gods truth and not rebel against it, as we see what Samuel said to King Saul...

1 Samuel 15:23
For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

What will happen to Christians who reject the Sabbath...​

My guess is the same as those whom eat.... Bacon!!!

You don't eat bacon do you Hobie?
Paul

Reactions: Illuminator

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong foundation.

We don't "not murder" because we are commanded to not murder. We not murder because we love instead.

If your only reason to not murder someone is that you are forbidden by the commandment, well, that's not the Christian Way.

What IS the Christian Way is that we rest in Christ, all the time, the true Sabbath. Do you only rest in Christ on Saturday?

Much love!

Reactions: mailmandan

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One group is hung up on Mary, another the Sabbath, yet another the rapture vs second coming and the never falling from grace bc of eternal security group, along with predestination !

These all have to twist, deny or ignore parts of God's HS inspired word or re-arrange it to fit their beliefs and theologies !

Reactions: Ziggy

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong foundation.

We don't "not murder" because we are commanded to not murder. We not murder because we love instead.

If your only reason to not murder someone is that you are forbidden by the commandment, well, that's not the Christian Way.

What IS the Christian Way is that we rest in Christ, all the time, the true Sabbath. Do you only rest in Christ on Saturday?

Much love!

I only rest in Christ when I rest.

Which happens a lot.

Like when I rest from works as a payment for salvation;

Or when I do the circadian thing overnight.

Sometimes I have to make a conscious effort to rest in Him right in the middle of some work when it gets particularly challenging or frustrating.

But when sunset comes on Friday I really go BIG with it for at least 24 hours!!

I don't know why that offends so many people.

I just studied it out and found that not only is that what He wants but, as it turns out, it prolongs life and increases the quality of it, almost like He instituted for our benefit or something.

Not to mention that virtually all of the arguments opposing it were completely unheard of just a few decades ago.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only rest in Christ when I rest.

Which happens a lot.

Like when I rest from works as a payment for salvation;

Or when I do the circadian thing overnight.

Sometimes I have to make a conscious effort to rest in Him right in the middle of some work when it gets particularly challenging or frustrating.

But when sunset comes on Friday I really go BIG with it for at least 24 hours!!

I don't know why that offends so many people.

I just studied it out and found that not only is that what He wants but, as it turns out, it prolongs life and increases the quality of it, almost like He instituted for our benefit or something.

Not to mention that virtually all of the arguments opposing it were completely unheard of just a few decades ago.

I'm not talking about physical rest, and neither is Hebrews when God explains our Sabbath rest. But I'm not offended if you take a day off for rest. But if you think this is the same as resting in Christ, it's not.

Much love!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not talking about physical rest, and neither is Hebrews when God explains our Sabbath rest. But I'm not offended if you take a day off for rest. But if you think this is the same as resting in Christ, it's not.

Much love!
Amen.