What will happen to Christians who reject the Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All this keeps coming up because so many Christians refuse to adhere to whom is it addressed. I do not know why we have so many Christians who believe the entire Bible is written directly to them, the Church of God. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate such thinking, and I would like to add nothing could be further from the truth. It's true the Word of God was written for everyone for all time, and it's for our learning because it contains what everyone should know. That does not mean every part of it is addressed to everyone in this time, because the subject matter was written either to the Jews, to the Gentiles, or to the Church of God (1 Corinthians 10:32).

What is written directly to the Jews, belongs to and is for the Jews. What is written directly to the Gentiles, belongs to and is for the Gentiles. What is written directly to the Church of God, belongs to and is for the Church of God. What does God mean when He tells us that the visions shown to Isaiah was concerning Judah and Jerusalem? It was not addressed to us or written concerning us, but it was addressed to and concerning Judah and Jerusalem. It would be dishonest for the Church of God to interpret to the Church of God what God said concerns Israel.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oops
I'm not talking about physical rest, and neither is Hebrews when God explains our Sabbath rest. But I'm not offended if you take a day off for rest. But if you think this is the same as resting in Christ, it's not.

Much love!

But God doesn't explain our Sabbath rest in Hebrews. He merely alludes to it.

Last edited:

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was asked the question on another forum, "What will happen to all those Christians who don't worship on the Sabbath?" I gave the following answer... there are some verses that give a clear answer. Here is what best applies....
Acts 17:24-30
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

When we unknowingly make a honest mistake, Gods grace is sufficient and He winks at our ignorance. But when we in all fullness of understanding knowingly do it.......
I wouldn't go into such detail personally, if asked that.

I'd simply say,God knows the heart.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, and if you went back in time 50 years, walked into a church and said that, everyone would look at you like you were from Mars.

As they sat in that church on the worship of the Sun day, decreed by pagan emperor Constantine? In his effort to make the faith in Christ more endearing to pagans?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was asked the question on another forum, "What will happen to all those Christians who don't worship on the Sabbath?" I gave the following answer... there are some verses that give a clear answer. Here is what best applies....
Acts 17:24-30
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

When we unknowingly make a honest mistake, Gods grace is sufficient and He winks at our ignorance. But when we in all fullness of understanding knowingly do it.......

What you have said is good, unless you imply that worshipping the practice of keeping the Sabbath is required--as it is not Saturdays that are the Lord's rest, but rather that day foretold when all is finished. It is that day which one cannot be reject and be saved--for this (that day) alone is eternal life.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What will happen to Christians who reject the Sabbath?​

Absolutely nothing will happen against them from God who has made our high priest, Jesus our rest in him.

The condemnation of man means nothing either to those whom rest in God, except that they may kill the body, but only God can destroy the soul.

To discount the whole council of the word of God in favor of a man or woman, whom claims per private interpretation in self professed spiritual visions, that God says this or that contrary to his Spirit and his word are cult leaders !

Reactions: Pavel Mosko

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes,I do agree there is far too much effort to obscure the truth of God's Sabbath gift to man.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would anyone eat bacon?

Really... Don't you know... Jesus turned water in to wine... Then to make a real statement... of Spiritual truth.... turned a pig into Bacon

Does BarneyFife eat Poptarts???

It's not forbidden... but should be on the list!!! Really... Man's Poptarts are Ok... but God Given Bacon... a Sin???

OHHH the humanity!!!!

Last edited:

Pavel Mosko

Dec 19, 2021
Boyertown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are certain universal moral laws that are reiterated in the New Testament, stealing and adultery are among them. Jesus did many things on the sabbath that would have been unlawful under the old covenant (Mat 12 ), but we live under a new and better covenant.
Kind of interesting you say this, a month or more ago I blogged on Facebook a quote from former Adventist / author Steve Daily to this affect which said.

QUOTE - The Everlasting Covenant has always contained God's principles. And David is a good example of how even in Old Testament times, a person could transcend the Old Covenant and live under "The Everlasting Covenant". That is why David puts the ark out for everyone to worship before, that is why he has 24 x7 musicians playing around the ark. Anyone who knows the Old Covenant Law, knows that was the death penalty. No one could go into the Ark, if it was in the Most Holy Place. Only the High Priest can go in once a year with a rope tied around his leg, if he was unqualified, he got yanked out dead. David puts everyone including the gentiles before the ark. It's the most flagrant violation of the Old Covenant Law that you could possibly do.

And he does the same thing with the soldiers, feeding them the Show Bread, that belonged to the priests alone. That was the death penalty, for doing under the Old Covenant Law, "But David was a man after God's own heart". He was a man functioning under the Everlasting Covenant, which is the same as the "Law of the Spirit", and it is the same as "The New Covenant". Which is "New" only because Christ revealed the Everlasting Covenant as it never would have been revealed before, that's why it is called "New", Not because it wasn't around before, the Everlasting Covenant was always around. END QUOTE

Reactions: Jericho

Pavel Mosko

Dec 19, 2021
Boyertown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are certain universal moral laws that are reiterated in the New Testament, stealing and adultery are among them. Jesus did many things on the sabbath that would have been unlawful under the old covenant (Mat 12 ), but we live under a new and better covenant.
Hey speaking of this general topic I also blogged this on a forum for former Adventists.

The Great Swittcheroo
What am I talking about as "The Great Switcheroo?" It's this in a nutshell, if you listen to Seventh Day Adventist writers and preachers speak of their early history in the Millerite movement, the word's "Hunki-Dori" come to mind. Every narrator I've run across consider things awesome, wilh Miller, with spunky teenage Ellen Harmon (White) and most of the Adventists pioneers (who incidentally are mostly not Sabbath observers except for maybe Joseph Bates). Yet the message of Ellen White, the Pioneers and "the little Flock" obviously radically changes years later. Now it is no longer proper to be like mainstream orthodox (Nicene) Christianity, and folks need to adopt Jewish Sabbatarianism, because not only is this considered a Biblical discipline now, but also considered part of the Gospel via various messages like "The Three Angels Message", Great Controversy etc.
Such obvious rules changing based on dubious revelation (The Shut Door, Hiram Edson's Cornfield Revelation etc.) is the preaching of "Another Gospel" per the New Testament (1 Corinthians 2:2, Romans 1:3-4, Colossians 2:12-15. The Gospel is nothing but the preaching of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ).

Ok I tried to add a little clarification comment, but it made an error. But to summarize things as I once said to an online Adventist "Do you got any idea how messed up it is to make something a necessary doctrine or practice, something you yourself only practiced a few years previously? (speaking of EGW and the Pioneers)" I'm speaking concerning the early Adventists in between Miller and becoming SDA in 1863. Christianity is supposed to be about "The Faith Once Delivered unto the saints" and not some new rule change revelation. We are all supposed to "One Body of Christ", under the same gospel and same new covenant, but this is not the case with "Present Truth".

Bait and Siwtch meme.jpg

Reactions: Jericho

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you are in Christ Jesus, everyday becomes the Sabbath
Hey Always,

Generally, I agree with you. Everyday should be a "Sabbath" day or a day of worshipping Him. But Scripture makes it clear that for Christians Sunday is a new Sabbath; a specific day that is held apart from others.

In the Bible whenever we see Christians meeting to worship the Lord (breaking of bread, take up collections) it is either “daily,” or it’s “on the first day of the week” (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2). At times we see Paul entering into the synagogue on the Sabbath (Acts 13:14-44, 16:13, 18:4). However, his purpose was to proclaim the truth about Christ to the Jews and those were not specifically Christian gatherings. But Acts 2:46 says, And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts.

Sure, Paul and his companions went to the temple but “the breaking of bread” occurred in Christian houses which were the early “churches” for Christians since no church buildings had been built yet. “The breaking of bread,” and when it happened is unique for Christians. In Acts 20:7 we read: upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread,". Luke 24:30-31 says that Cleopas and an unnamed disciple’s “eyes were opened,” and they recognized Jesus “in the breaking of the bread.” And according to Luke 24:1 and 13, this encounter was also on the first day of the week! Paul never writes that “On the Sabbath, when we gathered to break bread.” Instead, the “breaking of bread” in Luke 24 and in Acts 20 occurs on the first day of the week.

Paul makes it clear that the breaking of the bread to NT Christians was important,
The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For he who eats (the bread) and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

I noticed that @BarneyFife in post #24 disagrees with you that "everyday becomes the Sabbath". But I THINK Bfife might agree with me based on what I just said and that everyday could be treated like the Sabbath.

:My2c: Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As they sat in that church on the worship of the Sun day, decreed by pagan emperor Constantine? In his effort to make the faith in Christ more endearing to pagans?
Hey Gabriel,

Sunday worship did not start with Constantine. Here is what Scripture and early Christians writings (LONG before Constantine) have to say:

In the Bible whenever we see Christians meeting to worship the Lord (breaking of bread, take up collections) it is either “daily,” or it’s “on the first day of the week” (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2). Luke 24:30-31 says that Cleopas and an unnamed disciple’s “eyes were opened,” and they recognized Jesus “in the breaking of the bread.” And according to Luke 24:1 and 13, this encounter was also on the first day of the week which was called The Lords Day.

The Didache (AD70) says, But every Lord’s day do ye gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.

The Letter of Barnabas (AD74) also speaks of Sunday worship which it calls the 8th day.

Ignatius of Antioch, who is believed to be a student of the Apostle John wrote around 110AD If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s Day,

So there is a brief history of Sunday worship. Scripture and Christian history seem to teach opposite of your Constantine theory.

Hope that helps.....Mary

Reactions: Rockerduck

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kind of interesting you say this, a month or more ago I blogged on Facebook a quote from former Adventist / author Steve Daily to this affect which said.

QUOTE - The Everlasting Covenant has always contained God's principles. And David is a good example of how even in Old Testament times, a person could transcend the Old Covenant and live under "The Everlasting Covenant". That is why David puts the ark out for everyone to worship before, that is why he has 24 x7 musicians playing around the ark. Anyone who knows the Old Covenant Law, knows that was the death penalty. No one could go into the Ark, if it was in the Most Holy Place. Only the High Priest can go in once a year with a rope tied around his leg, if he was unqualified, he got yanked out dead. David puts everyone including the gentiles before the ark. It's the most flagrant violation of the Old Covenant Law that you could possibly do.

And he does the same thing with the soldiers, feeding them the Show Bread, that belonged to the priests alone. That was the death penalty, for doing under the Old Covenant Law, "But David was a man after God's own heart". He was a man functioning under the Everlasting Covenant, which is the same as the "Law of the Spirit", and it is the same as "The New Covenant". Which is "New" only because Christ revealed the Everlasting Covenant as it never would have been revealed before, that's why it is called "New", Not because it wasn't around before, the Everlasting Covenant was always around. END QUOTE
Well, Jesus did not break His Law, in fact this is confirmed by what the Pharisees did when He answered them..
Mark 3:4
And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Always,

Generally, I agree with you. Everyday should be a "Sabbath" day or a day of worshipping Him. But Scripture makes it clear that for Christians Sunday is a new Sabbath; a specific day that is held apart from others.

In the Bible whenever we see Christians meeting to worship the Lord (breaking of bread, take up collections) it is either “daily,” or it’s “on the first day of the week” (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2). At times we see Paul entering into the synagogue on the Sabbath (Acts 13:14-44, 16:13, 18:4). However, his purpose was to proclaim the truth about Christ to the Jews and those were not specifically Christian gatherings. But Acts 2:46 says, And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts.

Sure, Paul and his companions went to the temple but “the breaking of bread” occurred in Christian houses which were the early “churches” for Christians since no church buildings had been built yet. “The breaking of bread,” and when it happened is unique for Christians. In Acts 20:7 we read: upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread,". Luke 24:30-31 says that Cleopas and an unnamed disciple’s “eyes were opened,” and they recognized Jesus “in the breaking of the bread.” And according to Luke 24:1 and 13, this encounter was also on the first day of the week! Paul never writes that “On the Sabbath, when we gathered to break bread.” Instead, the “breaking of bread” in Luke 24 and in Acts 20 occurs on the first day of the week.

Paul makes it clear that the breaking of the bread to NT Christians was important,
The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For he who eats (the bread) and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

I noticed that @BarneyFife in post #24 disagrees with you that "everyday becomes the Sabbath". But I THINK Bfife might agree with me based on what I just said and that everyday could be treated like the Sabbath.

:My2c: Mary

Hey Mary,

Happy New Year!

I would certainly agree that folks who want to stay connected and consecrated to God will need to set aside time each day to worship and rest in Christ—both physically and spiritually. But it would probably be disingenuous of me from my own religious point of view to say that every day could be treated entirely as THE Sabbath, which I'm sure will be no surprise to you. Folks gotta make their daily bread.

As far as the breaking of bread from house to house in the time of the apostles, I venture to say that your perspective there might stem from a particular Catholic devotion to the Eucharist, and there's definitely some merit to that view since the apostles were probably meeting constantly with people who'd never partaken of The Lord's Supper, and therefore it would have devolved upon them to cheerily administer it to them.

In my own tradition of faith, communion is celebrated quarterly as a matter of regular schedule, but other occasions are often found to do so.

As to the day of the week upon which the Sabbath of the 4th commandment is to be celebrated, we're obviously not in lockstep about that, but since that's basically off-topic and I'm sure it's been exhaustively covered here and elsewhere as of late, I'm taking New Year's Day off (at least, for this post). And I think we can agree that this year, New Year's Day does not fall on the Sabbath. :)

Many Happy Returns Of The Day,
Ol' Barn

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Mary,

Happy New Year!

I would certainly agree that folks who want to stay connected and consecrated to God will need to set aside time each day to worship and rest in Christ—both physically and spiritually. But it would probably be disingenuous of me from my own religious point of view to say that every day could be treated entirely as THE Sabbath, which I'm sure will be no surprise to you. Folks gotta make their daily bread.

Ol' Barn

He B5,

I think we are in agreement that that every day would not be treated entirely as THE Sabbath. There is only one day for the Lords Day and that is Sunday.

I hope you have a great year....Mary

• Love

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Mary,

Happy New Year!

As far as the breaking of bread from house to house in the time of the apostles, I venture to say that your perspective there might stem from a particular Catholic devotion to the Eucharist, and there's definitely some merit to that view since the apostles were probably meeting constantly with people who'd never partaken of The Lord's Supper, and therefore it would have devolved upon them to cheerily administer it to them.

In my own tradition of faith, communion is celebrated quarterly as a matter of regular schedule, but other occasions are often found to do so.

Ol' Barn

Hi B5,

I think Scripture and my post make it clear that for NT Christians the breaking of bread was, at a minimum, every Lords Day if not daily! It CLEARLY is not only a "Catholic devotion to the Eucharist" since some Protestant denominations do it also, just like the NT Christians did. As Scripture and early Christian historical writings show (see Post #34) it WAS a NT Christian devotion. Me and my ilk prefer to do what the NT Christians did since.....in my humble opinion....they knew what they were doing since they had The Apostles as their teachers/elders. The NT Christians and us Catholics, 2,000 years later, are fulfilling The Lord's Prayer* (Matthew 6:1) and we do what he told us to do at The Last Supper.

I can't find anywhere in Scripture where it says to celebrate communion quarterly(?). The Lord's Prayer speaks of praying for daily bread and getting together daily for bread; but I don't see anything about quarterly bread. Scripture and historical Christian writings make it clear they had it every day or at a minimum on Sundays. To theorize that since the apostles were "probably meeting constantly with people' who'd never partaken of The Lord's Supper" so they would cheerily administer it to them at those meetings seems to suggest the only reason they had communion daily was because they were forced to(?). That theory seems to be adding something to Scripture that just isn't there.

Respectfully....Mary

*One can receive the Eucharist (bread) daily in some Catholic Churches

• Love

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I KNEW FROM THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD... THAT YOU WOULD REJECT AND POST AGAINST SUPPORT OF THE ... worship on the Sabbath?

YET, Would Eat Bacon like momma and Grandma at.... The CrackerBarrel !!!

You make it easy to expose you....