Whatever happened to the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm not sure what you mean by distinct. Would you explain, please?
@jessiblue Israel is not the church. The church is not Israel or the Gentiles. (1 Corinthians 10.32).

Traditionally, even among Bible believing Christians, dispensational believers see these distinctions, while those of a Reformed outlook tend to blur them.

jessiblue

Aug 21, 2021
a Heavenly place
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@jessiblue Israel is not the church. The church is not Israel or the Gentiles. (1 Corinthians 10.32).

Traditionally, even among Bible believing Christians, dispensational believers see these distinctions, while those of a Reformed outlook tend to blur them.

Ezekiel 36:27
And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Any child of God, of any race or creed, can receive the Spirit of God now by repenting and turning to Christ as their savior and accepting His blood sacrifice.

"And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God."

Reactions: WillTell

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ezekiel 36:27
And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Any child of God, of any race or creed, can receive the Spirit of God now by repenting and turning to Christ as their savior and accepting His blood sacrifice.

"And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God."
@jessiblue In principle this is true by way of application, although the original context in Ezekiel was not the church; this is how I see it.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They was in the age of Grace. Like we are Today.
And then the law came and all were brought under it.
Paul says something about because of transgressions...
Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

what does that mean, it was ordained by angels?
and, in the hand of a mediator?

Moses is the mediator?
Who are the angels?

Sidetracked or on topic?

which of the angels were found to give the ordination of the law into the hand of a mediator?

That's like saying..
What 2 angels put words in Jesus mouth to speak?

not ordained by God, but by angels... what does that mean?

Peter:
Act 10:42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

I'm hearing, and he commanded us (his angels) to bring forth this gospel (law)
by the hand of him which was ordained of God, which is himself, to be judge of the quick and dead.

Jesus is the law, incarnate.
Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Right now we are in the last hours of the age of grace. Which Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob existed.
They had liberty, in that even though they were sinners...
If you compare their lives with what the says you shouldn't do, then Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were not sinless.
They were living in the age of grace and they walked by faith, and their sins were not held against them.
Those promises still stand.

When the sin became overflowing, it was everywhere, and even the seed that should bring hope to the world was being afflicted.
God had to reign it in.
And so he sent his angels to preach unto the people , through the hands of a mediator Moses, the Law.
But they added to it, they twisted it, they made it fit the way they wanted it, they didn't obey it.
And then Jesus came, like the fire on the mountain, to set things straight.
And because of His sacrifice, we have been given another period of grace, in which we walk by faith and not by sight.

And that time is quickly coming to an end. And when it does, it won't be giving us another set of laws,
nope,
it will be judgement day.

just thinking..
Hugs
Sorry, I don't do well responding to long posts.
Remember David lived after the law
...see post #25.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Stumpmaster @Ziggy My point is that we are wholly dependent on the Holy Spirit whether we know it or not, so we might as well know it and that way we will be better prepared to act on it.

Why are you singling out only one person of the Trinity on whom we are dependent? We are dependent on the full Godhead for everything we are. Every breath I breathe is provided by the Triune God - not only the Holy Spirit.

Oz

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
But what is your point?
My point in asking what you thought was to promote spiritual growth through discussion and fellowship and so worship Christ.

I believe that much grieving of the Holy Spirit occurs in congregations and communities that embrace things contradictory to Scripture and abhorrent to God.

eg.
  • manifestations of kundalini passed off as the work of the Holy Spirit.
  • freemasonry accepted as compatible with Christianity.
  • excessively amplified sound and worldly styles of music and entertainment.
Jer 5:26-31 'For among My people are found wicked men; They lie in wait as one who sets snares; They set a trap; They catch men. (27) As a cage is full of birds, So their houses are full of deceit. Therefore they have become great and grown rich. (28) They have grown fat, they are sleek; Yes, they surpass the deeds of the wicked; They do not plead the cause, The cause of the fatherless; Yet they prosper, And the right of the needy they do not defend. (29) Shall I not punish them for these things?' says the LORD. 'Shall I not avenge Myself on such a nation as this?' (30) "An astonishing and horrible thing Has been committed in the land: (31) The prophets prophesy falsely, And the priests rule by their own power; And My people love to have it so. But what will you do in the end?

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that much grieving of the Holy Spirit occurs in congregations and communities that embrace things contradictory to Scripture and abhorrent to God.

eg.

Grieving the Holy Ghost Goes the other way too when we ignore his teaching and revelation and rely on our own understanding, and the teachings of men. Many fundamentalists are guilty of this, and it is known as textualism for lack of a better word.

The Holy Ghost is who Quickens our faith, takes it from being a set of doctrines to a vitalizing force in our Spiritual journey. The Word of God comes to life and begins to cut to the marrow, convicting us, sanctifying us and leading us in the way everlasting.

Without the Holy Ghost we are stuck with a textbook bible that we need only read once and learn its doctrines, But never be quickened ourselves.

And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. (Romans 8:10)

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. (2 Corinthians 3:6)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't do well responding to long posts.
Remember David lived after the law
...see post #25.
I had to scroll back and look..
You think those are long ? .. LOL
Hugs

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you singling out only one person of the Trinity on whom we are dependent? We are dependent on the full Godhead for everything we are. Every breath I breathe is provided by the Triune God - not only the Holy Spirit.

Oz
Him too, and since God is spirit, I''m not about to slice and dice the Trinity.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

eg.
Jer 5:26-31 'For among My people are found wicked men; They lie in wait as one who sets snares; They set a trap; They catch men. (27) As a cage is full of birds, So their houses are full of deceit. Therefore they have become great and grown rich. (28) They have grown fat, they are sleek; Yes, they surpass the deeds of the wicked; They do not plead the cause, The cause of the fatherless; Yet they prosper, And the right of the needy they do not defend. (29) Shall I not punish them for these things?' says the LORD. 'Shall I not avenge Myself on such a nation as this?' (30) "An astonishing and horrible thing Has been committed in the land: (31) The prophets prophesy falsely, And the priests rule by their own power; And My people love to have it so. But what will you do in the end?
Yes, I'm not into those either.
God's Spirit points us to Jesus and that's where our focus ought to be.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes. I am a 2 or 3 sentence person, after that my eyes start glazing over. Not the fault of the poster, it is just a personal deficiency of mine.
The comment was about Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, 400 years before the law.
I believe that was a time of Grace as such we are in today.
When you follow their lives and then read the law, you will find that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were all guilty of breaking the written law.

Abraham married his sister for example:
Lev 18:9 The nakedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover.

Gen 20:11 And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake.
Gen 20:12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

According to Moses law, this was a sin.
But it occured 400 years before the law.
Where there is no law,
Rom 5:13 For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

I'm trying to keep this short :)

then we moved to David..
David understood God's mercy, over and above the law.
David walked in the Spirit of it.
David also sinned according to the law, he committed adultery. for one.
But David also had great Faith.

Faith outranks the law.
That is not to say God's law is not good, it just means faith is better.

I have a hard time putting ALL the words into 2-3 sentences.
I'm trying..
Hugs

Reactions: amadeus