Whatever happened to the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Upon Whom are we dependent on when it comes to wisdom, direction, strength, comfort, conviction, insight, fruit?
Are we fully dependent on Him or do we run in our own strength, like the little locomotive saying "I know I can, I know I can" when all along our experience says 'we know we can't, we know we can't'... in our own strength.

Zechariah 4:6 (KJV) Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

Ephesians 1:17 (KJV) That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

John 16:13 (KJV) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Galatians 3:3 (NASB) Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Upon Whom are we dependent on when it comes to wisdom, direction, strength, comfort, conviction, insight, fruit?
Are we fully dependent on Him or do we run in our own strength, like the little locomotive saying "I know I can, I know I can" when all along our experience says 'we know we can't, we know we can't'... in our own strength.

Zechariah 4:6 (KJV) Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

Ephesians 1:17 (KJV) That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

John 16:13 (KJV) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Galatians 3:3 (NASB) Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?
For me, regularly reading the Book of Acts from start to finish, and deep-diving into Biblical truth is especially good for living and walking in the Spirit.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

I believe living in the Spirit means the Spirit is where we abide and dwell, and walking in the Spirit is how we act and do.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everywhere!

1Ti 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Whatever happened to the Holy Sprit?
He is being quenched, and mocked, and ridiculed..
But that's not keeping him down.
He walks among us and in us.
Just let the light shine
Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Stumpmaster @Ziggy My point is that we are wholly dependent on the Holy Spirit whether we know it or not, so we might as well know it and that way we will be better prepared to act on it.
I have been born again, I know no other Spirit than the Holy Spirit the Lord has given to abide in me.
Amen
Hugs

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been born again, I know no other Spirit than the Holy Spirit the Lord has given to abide in me.
Amen
Hugs
Well, there are other 'spirits' but they need not apply. :)

1 John 4:1 (NASB) Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 4:1 (NASB) Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Jhn 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Luk 6:44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth; )

:)
HUGS

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was in my wife's and my morning reading. Trust Jesus, love others, this is all we need.

Much love!

I have mentioned this many times over the years when the Legalists thunder out that we must “OBEY THE COMMANDMENTS OF JESUS! They are usually referring to the impossible commands of the 613 Commandments or trying to pretend that they can live up to the “ Morality” Of The Sermon on the Mound, where even “ thinking” an impure thought can get you damned......Nonsense

This side of the Cross, Jesus left us with just Two Commands—— #1 Believe. #2 Love.
These Commands can be found in 1John 3:23....

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said the OT was about Himself

Luke 24:25-27
And He said to them, "O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 " Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?" 27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

John 5:39-40
"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

Luke 24:44-45
Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

Jesus said the Holy Spirit will bear witness of HIM

John 15:26
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

John 16:7-9
But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me

John 16:13-14
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you.

So I know when someone speaks by the Spirit because Jesus is Glorified and will display His love towards others . All men will know you are My disciples by your love for one another and displaying the fruit of the spirit in Galatians 5 and how love acts in 1 Corinthians 13. The Holy Spirits ministry is to bear witness to the Son and live His life through us as we submit our lives to Christ.

hope this helps !!!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
@Stumpmaster @Ziggy My point is that we are wholly dependent on the Holy Spirit whether we know it or not, so we might as well know it and that way we will be better prepared to act on it.
Yes, prism. I'm wondering what you might think about these verses:

Heb 10:28-29 Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. (29) Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Quote from The Bible Believer's Commentary:

Hebrews 10:29
The apostate will be counted worthy of much worse punishment because his privilege has been much greater. The enormity of his sin is seen in the three charges that are leveled against him:
1. He has trampled the Son of God underfoot. After professing to be a follower of Jesus, he now brazenly asserts that he wants nothing more to do with Him. He denies any need for Christ as Savior and positively rejects Him as Lord.
In Japan there is a crucifix which was used by the government in days of persecution. It was placed on the ground, and everybody had to tread on the face of the Crucified. The non-Christians did not hesitate to tread on His face; the real Christians refused and were killed. The story goes that the face of Jesus was worn down and marred by people trampling on it.
2. He has counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing. He counts as useless and unholy the blood of Christ which ratified the New Covenant. He had been set apart by this blood in a place of external privilege. Through his association with Christian people, he had been sanctified, just as an unbelieving husband is sanctified by his believing wife (1Co_7:14). But that does not mean that he was saved.
3. He has insulted the Spirit of grace. The Spirit of God had illuminated him concerning the good news, convicted him of sin, and pointed him to Christ as the only Refuge of the soul. But he had insulted the gracious Spirit by utterly despising Him and the salvation He offered.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Heb 10:28-29 Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. (29) Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

The apostate will be counted worthy of much worse punishment because his privilege has been much greater. The enormity of his sin is seen in the three charges that are leveled against him:
1. He has trampled the Son of God underfoot. After professing to be a follower of Jesus, he now brazenly asserts that he wants nothing more to do with Him. He denies any need for Christ as Savior and positively rejects Him as Lord.
In Japan there is a crucifix which was used by the government in days of persecution. It was placed on the ground, and everybody had to tread on the face of the Crucified. The non-Christians did not hesitate to tread on His face; the real Christians refused and were killed. The story goes that the face of Jesus was worn down and marred by people trampling on it.
2. He has counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing. He counts as useless and unholy the blood of Christ which ratified the New Covenant. He had been set apart by this blood in a place of external privilege. Through his association with Christian people, he had been sanctified, just as an unbelieving husband is sanctified by his believing wife (1Co_7:14). But that does not mean that he was saved.
3. He has insulted the Spirit of grace. The Spirit of God had illuminated him concerning the good news, convicted him of sin, and pointed him to Christ as the only Refuge of the soul. But he had insulted the gracious Spirit by utterly despising Him and the salvation He offered.
That reminded me of the parable of the sower, and some seed fell by the way side, on stone, among thorns, and good ground.
interesting commentary,
thankyou for sharing
Hugs

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of my favorite verses pertaining to this subject

Galatians 2:20
New International Version

20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Philippians 4:6-12
New International Version

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Thanks for Their Gifts
10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Reactions: Ziggy and jessiblue

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

its merely not going by one's own judgement, and going by God's judgement, guidance and or instruction if you will. a caring parent would tell its child how the live the life the parent gave the child, therefore so does the Lord God give the same to His.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well this is from The Bible Knowledge Commentary on the same two verses, which I agree with,...

10:28-29.
Under the Old Covenant, if an Israelite spurned the Mosaic Law and at least two or three witnesses verified his actions, he was put to death. This being true, the author then argued from the lesser to the greater. If defiance of an inferior covenant could bring such retribution, what about defiance of the New Covenant which, as he had made clear, is far superior? The answer can only be that the punishment would be substantially greater in such a case.
In order to show that this is so, the writer then placed defection from the faith in the harshest possible light. An apostate from the New Covenant has trampled the Son of God underfoot and has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant (cf. “blood of the eternal covenant,” 13:20) that sanctified him. The words “sanctified him” refer to true Christians. Already the writer to the Hebrews has described them as “made holy (Gr. ‘sanctified’) through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all” (10:10) and as “made perfect forever” through this sanctifying work (v. 14). Some seek to evade this conclusion by suggesting that Christ is the One referred to here as “sanctified” or that the person only claims to be sanctified. But these efforts are foreign to the writer’s thought and are so forced that they carry their own refutation. The author’s whole point lies in the seriousness of the act. To treat “the blood of the covenant” (which actually sanctifies believers) as though it were an “unholy” (koinon, “common”) thing and to renounce its efficacy, is to commit a sin so heinous as to dwarf the fatal infractions of the Old Covenant. To this, an apostate adds the offense of insulting the Spirit of grace who originally wooed him to faith in Christ. This kind of spiritual rebellion clearly calls for a much worse punishment than the capital penalty that was inflicted under the Mosaic setup.
But again the writer was not thinking of hell. Many forms of divine retribution can fall on a human life which are worse than immediate death. In fact, Jeremiah made just such a complaint about the punishment inflicted on Jerusalem (Lam. 4:6, 9). One might think also of King Saul, whose last days were burdened with such mental and emotional turmoil that death itself was a kind of release. Hebrews 10:28.

But what is your point?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
its merely not going by one's own judgement, and going by God's judgement, guidance and or instruction if you will. a caring parent would tell its child how the live the life the parent gave the child, therefore so does the Lord God give the same to His.
The only difference is, is that God has His life living inside us, while we don't have our spirit inside our children. They share in our sinful nature until they are born again, but that's about it.

Reactions: jessiblue