Whatever you ask IN MY NAME, this I will do

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the name of X means in the authority of X.

Acts 3:

6 But Peter said, “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!”
Earlier after the Last Supper, Jesus told his disciples in John 14:

13 I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges:

Anything that can rightly be asked in His name will be granted; there is no other limit. By ‘in My name’ is not of course meant the mere using the formula ‘through Jesus Christ.’
It is not a formula.

Rather, it means praying and working as Christ’s representatives in the same spirit in which Christ prayed and worked,—‘Not My will, but Thine be done.’ Prayers for other ends than this are excluded; not that it is said that they will not be granted, but there is no promise that they will.
Merriam-Webster in someone's name:

something is done with the authority of a specified person
John affirmed this understanding in 1 John 5:

14 And this is the confidence that we have before Him: If we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
Let's check the context, John 14:

The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.
The Father dwells in the Son to enable the Son to speak with the authority of the Father.

12“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.
i.e., if we ask with the authority of Jesus, it will be done.

15“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper [Paraclete], to be with you forever, 17even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.
The Paraclete dwells in us to enable us to speak with the authority of the Holy Spirit.

Note that the asking in Jesus' name is sandwiched between the two indwellings.

For us, we need to pay attention to the Paraclete in us. Ask according to Him. Then whatever we ask will be done.

"In Jesus' name" is not some kind of magical formula. That's why there is no example of prayer in the NT that ends with "in Jesus' name", Acts 9:

40 Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, “Tabitha, get up.” She opened her eyes and seeing Peter she sat up.
Peter prayed/commanded in Jesus' name without explicitly using the word "in Jesus' name", i.e., Peter prayed and acted as a representative of the authority of Jesus. Acting in Jesus' name is more important than mouthing the formula. Today, we Christians have gotten it the other way around and the formula has become meaningless.

Don't just mindlessly end a prayer with "in Jesus' name" as if it is a formula. Can you in clear conscience say that you have prayed as Christ's representative on earth? Do you have the authority of Jesus to pray that prayer? Have you prayed according to the will of God?

See also When you pray, say: FATHER.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 16:31 Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you'll be saved, you and your family.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In the name of X means in the authority of X.

Acts 3:

Earlier after the Last Supper, Jesus told his disciples in John 14:

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges:

It is not a formula.

Merriam-Webster in someone's name:

John affirmed this understanding in 1 John 5:

Let's check the context, John 14:

The Father dwells in the Son to enable the Son to speak with the authority of the Father.

The Paraclete dwells in us to enable us to speak with the authority of the Holy Spirit.

Note that the asking in Jesus' name is sandwiched between the two indwellings.

For us, we need to pay attention to the Paraclete in us. Ask according to Him. Then whatever we ask will be done.

"In Jesus' name" is not some kind of magical formula. That's why there is no example of prayer in the NT that ends with "in Jesus' name", Acts 9:

Peter prayed/commanded in Jesus' name without explicitly using the word "in Jesus' name", i.e., Peter prayed and acted as a representative of the authority of Jesus. Acting in Jesus' name is more important than mouthing the formula. Today, we Christians have gotten it the other way around and the formula has become meaningless.

Don't just mindlessly end a prayer with "in Jesus' name" as if it is a formula. Can you in clear conscience say that you have prayed as Christ's representative on earth? Do you have the authority of Jesus to pray that prayer? Have you prayed according to the will of God?

See also When you pray, say: FATHER.
It was once explained to me that in the name of or in Jesus name was like an ambassador in a foreign country having the authority of the government he represented. And we represent Jesus heavenly kingdom.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:13-14 . . And whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do,
that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you shall ask any thing in my
name, I will do it.

That passage is commonly utilized by atheists to prove Christianity is a
crock.
_

Last edited:

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was once explained to me that in the name of or in Jesus name was like an ambassador in a foreign country having the authority of the government he represented. And we represent Jesus heavenly kingdom.
Bingo
Has everything to do with authority.
The power supplied to the believer with authority given.
It is also awesome that the Holy Spirit is declared our " helper".

Reactions: Pearl

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was once explained to me that in the name of or in Jesus name was like an
ambassador in a foreign country having the authority of the government he
represented. And we represent Jesus heavenly kingdom.

If only it were that simple because then there would be fewer Christians
getting pings when they pray and more would be getting results.

Many wish for success with prayer in Jesus' name, while not really expecting
it because they already know from plenty of experience that it too often
drops them into an abyss of perplexity and discouragement. In other words:
prayer in Jesus' name is very difficult for some Christians because it's often
so futile; which of course they're reluctant to admit because then they might
be seen as siding with atheists.
_

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

God answers the "prayer of Faith".

Jesus said "if you BELIEVE and do not doubt" .. then you can make this mountain move.

Its FAITH that brings God's restoration into the broken situation.

No Faith, = nothing happens... This problem says the same, until it gets worse.

See, God is touched by our pain, and our tears, and our sorrow and our misery, but He is MOVED INTO ACTION by our FAITH.

"without FAITH it is impossible to please God", and without faith, no prayer will be answered.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

_
Obviously to pray in Jesus name we must be praying according to God's will. We should let the Holy Spirit direct our prayers, put the thoughts in our heads and the words in our mouths. Anything less than that is not going to achieve results.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

_
Maybe, but do we all understand that authority? Do we all pray with that authority? Do we all recognise that we need that authority?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Would like a million dollars please, Tonychanyt.

Just kidding, anything that one ask of Yahava will always do so according to his will, and the spirit. While some may pray for a job even perhaps, keep going to Yahava for the good things in life, and try not to make selfish prayers. Pray for all people, and pray about all circumstances, pray and call out to Yahava, in Jesus name. Even if you are not answered, keep praying about all things that come about in life.

Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:13-14 . . And whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do,
that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you shall ask any thing in my
name, I will do it.

That passage is commonly utilized by atheists to prove Christianity is a
crock.

The atheists I've seen on YouTube know the Bible, but I can tell they haven't
taken time to familiarized themselves with the Bible's fine print, so to speak.

For example:

1John 3:22 . . And whatsoever we ask, we receive of Him, because we
keep His commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

Ouch! That right there blows quite a few Christians' prayers right out of the
water, but it's also useful for explaining the meaning of prayer in Jesus' name.

John 15:10 . . If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just
as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.
_

Last edited: