When Did Satan Fall - Your Opinion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rank Stranger

Jun 1, 2008
A comment in another thread got me to thinking. Just when did Satan fall from God's grace? Most people think it was before creation, during the creation week, or shortly after that week. But I would beg to differ that it could not have been in any of those periods. Here is my thoughts for what they are worth.

God knew that Adam and Eve would fall from His grace, and that the serpent would be the instigator. But He knew it would happen before the event actually occurred. That is because He is omniscient, knowing everything about everything. He did not cause the fall, neither did He do anything to prevent it from happening. Adam and Eve's free will and poor choices were the blame. He could have easily prevented it from happening, but He did not. Why not? Because that would not have served His holy purpose (Romans 8:28).

Did Satan have anything to do with that situation? Truthfully, we do not know. It was the "serpent" who was directly involved, and it was the serpent that God cursed. Satan was not mentioned by name at all in the biblical account. We assume it was Satan posing as a serpent, but the Bible does not confirm our assumption

What do we know about Satan? He is of course mentioned prominently in the Book of Job where he moves freely between heaven and earth and appears to be serving God as His official "tempter" and "accuser." But Satan after the fall was limited only to earth, and could not return to heaven. Therefore the only logical conclusion we can reach was that Satan, at the time Job was written, was still in God's good graces.

And we know that he tempted David to "number" Israel, which was done and which angered God. But did God curse Satan for causing David to sin? We do not know because the Bible is silent on that subject. All we can logically assume is that Satan was still acting as God's "tempter" of humans.

Was Satan in the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve? He may have been. He might even have been posing as a serpent at the time. But if he was, and if he was not also specifically cursed by God, then the only assumption we can logically make is that he was there serving God as "tempter" of humans, just like we read about in Job.

Here is a trivia question. When is "the devil" (as in a specific entity as "the" devil) first mentioned in Scripture? It is in Matthew 4:1. The entire Old Testament is completely silent on "the" devil, but does mention "devils" (plural) in Lev. 17:7, Deut. 32:17, 2nd Chron. 11:15, and Plms 106:37.

Here is another trivia question. Where can you find the first reference to any person casting out "devils" or demons? That would be Jesus as described in Matthew and the other Gospels. There is not one mention anywhere in the Old Testament of anyone casting out any devils, demons or evil spirits. There is one mention of God using an "evil" spirit to serve His purpose, but nobody did any casting out of any such demonic entities anywhere in that Testament.

Someone might mention the Old Testament records of prophets mentioning the fall of Satan (not Lucifer [Isaiah 14:12], who was the King of Babylon and thought he was as powerful and great as God). The mention of Satan and his fall in Ezekiel 28 are the words of a Prophet of God, and talk about the future event, not some past event. Therefore the only logical conclusion anyone can come to is that the fall of Satan had not yet occurred when the Prophet Ezekiel spoke his prophecy from God.

So, when did Satan fall. The only possible logical conclusion that can be reached is that his fall occurred sometime after Ezekiel spoke the prophecy and Matthew 4. My own conclusion, which is also not based on Scripture but is at least logical, is that Satan fell sometime during the period of time between the two Testaments. And the why of the timing of the fall is also based on logic. Our all-knowing God would be sending His Christ to earth to begin a new Covenant with men after the first Covenant was so severely aborgated by Israel. Satan acting as "the" devil would serve God's purpose for humans making spiritual choices between Him and evil.

So, what is your opinion?

Rank Stranger

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
A comment in another thread got me to thinking. Just when did Satan fall from God's grace? Most people think it was before creation, during the creation week, or shortly after that week. But I would beg to differ that it could not have been in any of those periods. Here is my thoughts for what they are worth.

When Satan was first introduced to us in the garden...he was in his fallen state. He rebelled in the first age, the age before...."The Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

God knew that Adam and Eve would fall from His grace, and that the serpent would be the instigator. But He knew it would happen before the event actually occurred. That is because He is omniscient, knowing everything about everything. He did not cause the fall, neither did He do anything to prevent it from happening. Adam and Eve's free will and poor choices were the blame. He could have easily prevented it from happening, but He did not. Why not? Because that would not have served His holy purpose (Romans 8:28).

Did Satan have anything to do with that situation? Truthfully, we do not know. It was the "serpent" who was directly involved, and it was the serpent that God cursed. Satan was not mentioned by name at all in the biblical account. We assume it was Satan posing as a serpent, but the Bible does not confirm our assumption

The Bible does confirm who he is.....

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

What do we know about Satan? He is of course mentioned prominently in the Book of Job where he moves freely between heaven and earth and appears to be serving God as His official "tempter" and "accuser." But Satan after the fall was limited only to earth, and could not return to heaven. Therefore the only logical conclusion we can reach was that Satan, at the time Job was written, was still in God's good graces.

And we know that he tempted David to "number" Israel, which was done and which angered God. But did God curse Satan for causing David to sin? We do not know because the Bible is silent on that subject. All we can logically assume is that Satan was still acting as God's "tempter" of humans.

Was Satan in the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve? He may have been. He might even have been posing as a serpent at the time. But if he was, and if he was not also specifically cursed by God, then the only assumption we can logically make is that he was there serving God as "tempter" of humans, just like we read about in Job.

Here is a trivia question. When is "the devil" (as in a specific entity as "the" devil) first mentioned in Scripture? It is in Matthew 4:1. The entire Old Testament is completely silent on "the" devil, but does mention "devils" (plural) in Lev. 17:7, Deut. 32:17, 2nd Chron. 11:15, and Plms 106:37.

Here is another trivia question. Where can you find the first reference to any person casting out "devils" or demons? That would be Jesus as described in Matthew and the other Gospels. There is not one mention anywhere in the Old Testament of anyone casting out any devils, demons or evil spirits. There is one mention of God using an "evil" spirit to serve His purpose, but nobody did any casting out of any such demonic entities anywhere in that Testament.

Someone might mention the Old Testament records of prophets mentioning the fall of Satan (not Lucifer [Isaiah 14:12], who was the King of Babylon and thought he was as powerful and great as God). The mention of Satan and his fall in Ezekiel 28 are the words of a Prophet of God, and talk about the future event, not some past event. Therefore the only logical conclusion anyone can come to is that the fall of Satan had not yet occurred when the Prophet Ezekiel spoke his prophecy from God.

Part of Ezekiel 28 is about the first age when Satan was the "king of Tyrus." He fell in that age.

So, when did Satan fall. The only possible logical conclusion that can be reached is that his fall occurred sometime after Ezekiel spoke the prophecy and Matthew 4. My own conclusion, which is also not based on Scripture but is at least logical, is that Satan fell sometime during the period of time between the two Testaments. And the why of the timing of the fall is also based on logic. Our all-knowing God would be sending His Christ to earth to begin a new Covenant with men after the first Covenant was so severely aborgated by Israel. Satan acting as "the" devil would serve God's purpose for humans making spiritual choices between Him and evil.

So, what is your opinion?

Rank Stranger

He fell in the previous age. He is still kicking in this age and yes, he is a servant of the Lord. The king of Babylon is a type for Satan....

Jeremiah 25:9 Behold, I will send and take all the families of the north, saith the LORD, and Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon, my servant, and will bring them against this land, and against the inhabitants thereof, and against all these nations round about, and will utterly destroy them, and make them an astonishment, and an hissing, and perpetual desolations.

Rank Stranger

Jun 1, 2008
Whirlwind, everything you posted is non-biblical. The "first age"? Satan introduced to us in the Garden? He was already fallen at that time?

And as for Revelation 12:9, since when does a "dragon" resemble a snake? I don't think so.

More importantly, if I were to request a single biblical citation on anything you cited, with the exception of Revelation 12:9 which has already been discounted, you could not supply even one.

Furthermore, after we are clearly told that once Satan fell, his abode was only on the earth and he was no longer found in Heaven, you would have us believe that he possessed some kind of free pass so he could go back to heaven and visit with, and even chat with, God Almighty as we see in Job? That would be in direct opposition to what we learn about God in Psalms 5:4. God will not permit evil in His presence.

What you posted is, unfortunately, what many people believe. They make up things that seem to be "good' and "reasonable", but their efforts serve only man and his limited sense of right and wrong. God works within His purpose, and some of the things He does in Scripture might seem wrong or "evil" to us. He strikes down a husband and wife in Acts for withholding a portion of their money from the early Christian Church. He permits Stephen to be stoned to death when He easily could have shielded that apostle from harm. He slaughters tens and even hundreds of thousands of people. He even creates evil to serve Himself (Isaiah 45:7). Everything He does is within His purpose.

I do appreciate your post, and I hope you do not take offense at anything in this reply.

Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

Jun 1, 2008
I am curious as to what the goal of this question is?

Goal? There is no goal to strive for here. I am certainly troubled by many "doctrines" held closely by true Christians that have no real basis in Scripture, just as I am troubled by many of us mortals underestimating the true powers and greatness of our God. It is simply unacceptable for many Christians to believe that Satan in the Old Testament was not a fallen angel. It just had to be "the devil" who caused Adam and Eve to fall from God's grace through unnecessary temptation. We often overlook the fact that God already knew that Adam would fall, even before He created this man with a living soul or even before the first foundation of Creation was laid. It was and is a part of His plan for the first couple to fall into sin and be driven out of the Garden to survive in suffering.

So if there is any goal, it is to explore other ideas on this subject. Certainly when Satan fell from God's grace does not matter at all to true Christians. Our belief and our desire to emulate Jesus with love for God and our fellow men is sufficient.

Rank Stranger

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
which time? actually he's had his head bashed twice. both times he was cast down and he can't fall no futher now, :lol: it's in the book. theres some meet to chew on.read and if you can't find it the holy ghost knows where it is. :D

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whirlwind, everything you posted is non-biblical. The "first age"? Satan introduced to us in the Garden? He was already fallen at that time?

Interesting questions for someone who was supposedly asking an honest question. I think your preconceived notion was unfortunately revealed in this thread, and it looks like you practice that which you preach against, to a large degree.

Evil spirits are repeatedly spoken of in the Old Testament: I Samuel 16:14, II Chronicles 18:22, etc.

These evil spirits have characteristics just like demons and devils in the New Testament. They cause people to lie, they divine the future, and so on. In other places they are addresses as familiar spirits. If you want to get really technical about it, Mark 3:11 and Mark 5:13 make the obvious link, so it looks as though you either approached this topic with a preconceived notion or you didn't bother to look very hard at what parts of Scripture clearly do not agree with this idea.

Furthermore, to say that you "discounted" Revelation 12:9 is absurd. Read with eyes to see and ears to hear. These are titles of Satan, and all versions of the Bible agree upon this:

Revelation 12:9 ESV
And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world--he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

I've never seen a dragon that looks like a deceiver, either. Maybe a dragon that looks like an angel? See the absurd nature of the argument that a snake and dragon don't look alike -- I guess you're not very familiar with far eastern culture as well?

Beyond that, I'm quite curious as to where the talking snake species has gotten to as of late?

Anyway, one last assertion to respond to:

The simple answer is because he's already condemned. Job, one of the oldest books of the Bible, already speaks of Satan walking among the sons of God. Unless you care that Satan was just a "naughty" angel doing the accusing there, I think that speaks for itself. The Bible is hardly silent on the subject, it's just silent when we choose not to listen.

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
Rank, some good answers here. When did it happen, at about the time the sun started to rise into Leo on the vernal equinox.........

The serpent is simply one of his roles,....................Some people think I'm a jacka$$,............but I'm really just a man, I only play one on the forums....:)

If you do some looking there is some good posts on many of his names on this forum

Irish

jehu books

Feb 15, 2010
The veiws expressed in scripture about satan have a lot more to do with us than most imply. The bookof books (bible) was written for us, Right? Inspired by Holy Spirit through holy men. The insights are not for history lessens as much as their are for instrution in wisdom. Or in other words. What to do and how to overcome this world.
Their is not a lot of need for Holy Spirit to tell us about things that happened before our time, or that will happen after our time here on earth. Scripture was written for instrution in righteousness.
Most revelation has to do with the whys of lfe on earth, and the hows to bring change, or repentance (meta neo) to the worldly realm.

<< Self promotion removed. >>