When did the devil first rebel against God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When did the devil first rebel against God?

• When tempting Adam and Eve in God's Garden of Eden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When God created him in Genesis 1

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • The devil never did rebel against God

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prior to the time of Genesis 2 & 3

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Prior to the time of Genesis 1

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

country_lad

Jan 27, 2008
Canada
Hey Arnie, your first question is a good question but just not one that can be answered. The only true knowledge we have of this things is of course the bible, but it does not say when satan fell. It tells us that angels have been around before God created the world (Job 38:4-7) and it does talk about him falling (Isaiah 14:12-14)(Ezekiel 28:16-17) but it does not give an exact time of when he fell so I figure God does not find it to be an important factor for us to know... it is not something worth pondering as there is no answer to be found :)

Your second question regarding under the ground is speaking of the dead... not hell.

Revelation 20:12-15

And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. The
sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up
the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to
his works. Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

You mentioned:

Rev 5 ....... 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it.

^under the earth is speaking of the dead

Rev 5 ..... 13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing

Again speaking of the dead (Revelation 20:13 The sea gave up the dead
who were in it
, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in
them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.

Rev 9 .... and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. 2 When
he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic
furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss.

"and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth" is not speaking of satan (Luke 10:18 And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven) as some believe, but it is speaking of an angel from heaven (see below where it says "the stars will fall from heaven"... and Job 38:4-7 speaks of the morning stars singing... angels are sometimes refered to as stars.

Interesting... where it says "the sun and the sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss it reminds me that Matthew 24:29 says Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will
not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of
the heavens will be shaken. And 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 says For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and
remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the
Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.

^So the above speaks about the dead rising aswell. I am getting off topic with this one but I'm thinking out loud that I now notice more proof that the rapture is post trib and not pre tribulation .

I don't really believe hell is in the center of the earth for a few reasons... quite a few. But I can not say for sure because scripture does not say exactly where it is but I believe it is beyond our worldly understanding.

God bless

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
Yes it is a silly topic, made even more ridiculous as a Poll as the actual answer isn't even included in the selection lol. So I'll just provide it here... the originall rebellion and sin is;

(Gen 3:6) And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

(Rom 5:12) Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
(Rom 6:23) For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
(Rom 5:15) But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Sin and death came from Adam.
But what Christian doesn't know that?

Peace,
Whitestone
Seems to say here that sin originated before Adam...

Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Here is the first recorded lie...

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

So, seems that the Devil was already evil at this time.

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
John_8:32 said:
Seems to say here that sin originated before Adam...

Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Here is the first recorded lie...

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

So, seems that the Devil was already evil at this time.
Sorry, you read in error, substituting carnal "ideas" for scripture. He was a "murderer" from the beginning. Cain killing Able was the first murder. Jesus knew that, the Jews knew that. They knew He was referring to Cain and it bothered them that Jesus said they were born of Cain, the "murderer from the beginning". Obviously the meaning is of spirtitual descendency. Not physical. It means the Pharisees were of the same murdering spirit. We also know from scriptures that the serpent "tempted". But that isn't "sin". Only giving in to temptation is a sin. Being told a lie by the person described as the serpent, aka "tempter" is a picture of spirtitual voidness. NOT of sin. There can be NO sin unless there is a law against sin first, and there was no law ever given to the tempter in the Garden. The only law given was to Adam. He was the only one under law, the only one who could have ever been the first to sin. Besides, scriptures flat out says that Sin came from Adam, it has been quoted in this thread by me before. I'll quote the word of God on this again as it has been some time...
(Rom 5:12) Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
(Rom 5:13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

There it is plain as can be. Sin entered via Adam who believed the lie. You can't argue that sin came into existence any other way but through Adam's disobedience to God, regardless of the lawless "beast of the field" person who introduced the lying temptation that Adam fell for in believing a lie. It wasn't the serpent person's fault. He wasn't sinning, for he wasn't given any law not to sin like Adam was. He was just an original inhabitant "beast of the field" native who was "subtle" just like God made Him.

Anyone who thinks that God made a supernatural god like being who rebelled against God then began lying to Adam and all the ridiculous "devil teachings" that go along with it, is just plain ignorant of scriptural revelation. You substitute "doctrine of devils" for truth. You become a follower after men and their carnal necromancy teachings. You believe what paid ministers tell you who learned what they teach from a seminary, having nothing to do with exegesis of scripture led by the Holy Spirit. It is time for folks to know who their devil is. Look in the mirror if you think it is "someone else".
Peace

Nov 9, 2012
Sorry, you read in error, substituting carnal "ideas" for scripture. He was a "murderer" from the beginning. Cain killing Able was the first murder. Jesus knew that, the Jews knew that. They knew He was referring to Cain and it bothered them that Jesus said they were born of Cain, the "murderer from the beginning". Obviously the meaning is of spirtitual descendency. Not physical. It means the Pharisees were of the same murdering spirit. We also know from scriptures that the serpent "tempted". But that isn't "sin". Only giving in to temptation is a sin. Being told a lie by the person described as the serpent, aka "tempter" is a picture of spirtitual voidness. NOT of sin. There can be NO sin unless there is a law against sin first, and there was no law ever given to the tempter in the Garden. The only law given was to Adam. He was the only one under law, the only one who could have ever been the first to sin. Besides, scriptures flat out says that Sin came from Adam, it has been quoted in this thread by me before. I'll quote the word of God on this again as it has been some time...
(Rom 5:13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

There it is plain as can be. Sin entered via Adam who believed the lie. You can't argue that sin came into existence any other way but through Adam's disobedience to God, regardless of the lawless "beast of the field" person who introduced the lying temptation that Adam fell for in believing a lie. It wasn't the serpent person's fault. He wasn't sinning, for he wasn't given any law not to sin like Adam was. He was just an original inhabitant "beast of the field" native who was "subtle" just like God made Him.

Anyone who thinks that God made a supernatural god like being who rebelled against God then began lying to Adam and all the ridiculous "devil teachings" that go along with it, is just plain ignorant of scriptural revelation. You substitute "doctrine of devils" for truth. You become a follower after men and their carnal necromancy teachings. You believe what paid ministers tell you who learned what they teach from a seminary, having nothing to do with exegesis of scripture led by the Holy Spirit. It is time for folks to know who their devil is. Look in the mirror if you think it is "someone else".
Peace
Eze 28:15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

So, this doesn't really mean that this being was perfect then iniquity was found in him? This is the same one who was in the garden and told the first recorded lie...

Eze 28:13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Sin was inexistence prior to Adam. Jesus plainly says the originator of murder and lies is the Devil...

The Devil is the father of lies and a murderer from the beginning.

Your theology is very strange, it denies straightforward statements of Christ.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi whitestone,

That was an interesting post you made to John. I would like to comment on this thought:

It wasn't the serpent person's fault. He wasn't sinning, for he wasn't given any law not to sin like Adam was.
Looking at a couple of verses about angels, they seem to have been created for a specific purpose:

Hebrews 1:7 And of the angels he says, Who makes his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire....14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

So then when we read Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!
how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven,
I will exalt my throne above the stars of God:
I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

I suppose I don't believe God created Lucifer and then didn't tell him what his purpose was. As we read the beginning of 2 Chronicles, we see how Solomon put his kingdom in order. I believe God would have done the same with His kingdom, putting every created being in its place, as He did with heavenly bodies, instructing them as to how to behave. He did this with the sea, and with the creatures and man. This is implicit in the first part of Jesus' prayer: Our Father, which is in heaven, hallowed be thy name; Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.

I believe Lucifer stepped out of line and knew that he was doing so, long before Hebrews 1:6 And again, when he brings in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. Luke 2:10 - 15

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
dragonfly said:
Hi veteran,

This question is a little behind your original statement, and I wouldn't be asking, probably, if the thread had not been revived... but are you suggesting that those who believe they can go 'under the earth', (through altered states of consciousness and place, invoked by occult practices), are actually deceived so to think they do or have done? If so, this is not my impression through my encounters with such claims.
I was speaking of Satan's home, which not in the same dimension of existence as our material dimension, thus things under the earth is an expression for hades. I was not speaking anything about the subject of the occult.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
I was speaking of Satan's home, which not in the same dimension of existence as our material dimension, thus things under the earth is an expression for hades. I was not speaking anything about the subject of the occult.
Thanks for your reply, brother. :)

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
country_lad said:
Your second question regarding under the ground is speaking of the dead... not hell.
Could be .... but if that is the case the dead people in the grave (under the earth) would be bowing their knees , singing , opening scrolls etc.

Even Jesus said He "went down there" and preached ..... so for that reason I feel there is something more "going on down there" ... than just dead bodies in the grave.

Not a big deal , but it is one of those head-scratchers from the bible.

Probably it is the origins of our sayings such as "go down to Hell" .... as though it is underground or something.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Revelation 12 actually reveals where Satan's place is, which is another reason why the idea of hades being under the earth is an expression and not meant literally.

Rev 12:7-12
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

This casting out event has not happened yet. It's for the last days. Satan's place is in heaven, meaning the heavenly dimension of existence. God's Word reveals only two types of dimensions of existence, this earthly one where we are, and the heavenly one where God and the angels dwell.

So when it's speaking of Satan and his angels being cast out of "heaven" down to this earth, it literally means their manifesting here in our earthly dimension, in person, seeing them. They have the image of man like us.

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
(KJV)

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
dragonfly said:
Hi veteran,

Your comment surprises me. Is there scripture for this statement?

Heb 13:2
2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
(KJV)

There's several Bible passages to show how angels appeared to flesh man on earth. Genesis 18 & 19 are major examples. When The LORD sent two angels to Lot of his family, the sodomites saw them as two young men.

Dan 9:21
21 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.
(KJV)

We should not be surprised at this, since the image of man originates from our Heavenly Father per Genesis 1:26-27.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi veteran,

I did wonder if you were speaking about holy angels. It was the context after which you placed you comment, which threw me, as you had just said:

So when it's speaking of Satan and his angels being cast out of "heaven" down to this earth, it literally means their manifesting here in our earthly dimension, in person, seeing them. They have the image of man like us.
We know Satan is called 'that old serpent', and 'leviathan', Isaiah 27:1, which bear neither the image (form) nor likeness of man.

Nov 9, 2012
dragonfly said:
Hi veteran,

I did wonder if you were speaking about holy angels. It was the context after which you placed you comment, which threw me, as you had just said:

We know Satan is called 'that old serpent', and 'leviathan', Isaiah 27:1, which bear neither the image (form) nor likeness of man.
Satan is a cherub...

Eze 28:14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of

What does a cherub look like...

Eze 1:5 Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man.
Eze 1:6 And every one had four faces, and every one had four wings.
Eze 1:7 And their feet were straight feet; and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf's foot: and they sparkled like the colour of burnished brass.
Eze 1:8 And they had the hands of a man under their wings on their four sides; and they four had their faces and their wings.
Eze 1:9 Their wings were joined one to another; they turned not when they went; they went every one straight forward.
Eze 1:10 As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle.
Eze 1:11 Thus were their faces: and their wings were stretched upward; two wings of every one were joined one to another, and two covered their bodies.
Eze 1:12 And they went every one straight forward: whither the spirit was to go, they went; and they turned not when they went.
Eze 1:13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, and like the appearance of lamps: it went up and down among the living creatures; and the fire was bright, and out of the fire went forth lightning.
Eze 1:14 And the living creatures ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.
Eze 1:15 Now as I beheld the living creatures, behold one wheel upon the earth by the living creatures, with his four faces.

Eze 10:2 And he spake unto the man clothed with linen, and said, Go in between the wheels, even under the cherub, and fill thine hand with coals of fire from between the cherubims, and scatter them over the city. And he went in in my sight.
Eze 10:3 Now the cherubims stood on the right side of the house, when the man went in; and the cloud filled the inner court.
Eze 10:4 Then the glory of the LORD went up from the cherub, and stood over the threshold of the house; and the house was filled with the cloud, and the court was full of the brightness of the LORD'S glory.
Eze 10:5 And the sound of the cherubims' wings was heard even to the outer court, as the voice of the Almighty God when he speaketh.
Eze 10:6 And it came to pass, that when he had commanded the man clothed with linen, saying, Take fire from between the wheels, from between the cherubims; then he went in, and stood beside the wheels.
Eze 10:7 And one cherub stretched forth his hand from between the cherubims unto the fire that was between the cherubims, and took thereof, and put it into the hands of him that was clothed with linen: who took it, and went out.
Eze 10:8 And there appeared in the cherubims the form of a man's hand under their wings.
Eze 10:9 And when I looked, behold the four wheels by the cherubims, one wheel by one cherub, and another wheel by another cherub: and the appearance of the wheels was as the colour of a beryl stone.
Eze 10:10 And as for their appearances, they four had one likeness, as if a wheel had been in the midst of a wheel.
Eze 10:11 When they went, they went upon their four sides; they turned not as they went, but to the place whither the head looked they followed it; they turned not as they went.
Eze 10:12 And their whole body, and their backs, and their hands, and their wings, and the wheels, were full of eyes round about, even the wheels that they four had.
Eze 10:13 As for the wheels, it was cried unto them in my hearing, O wheel.
Eze 10:14 And every one had four faces: the first face was the face of a cherub, and the second face was the face of a man, and the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle.
Eze 10:15 And the cherubims were lifted up. This is the living creature that I saw by the river of Chebar.
Eze 10:16 And when the cherubims went, the wheels went by them: and when the cherubims lifted up their wings to mount up from the earth, the same wheels also turned not from beside them.
Eze 10:17 When they stood, these stood; and when they were lifted up, these lifted up themselves also: for the spirit of the living creature was in them.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi John,

He might have been like that once, but wasn't he cursed with a couple of uncherub-like changes in the garden of Eden.

I think he's a shape-shifter, now.

Nov 9, 2012
Hi John,

He might have been like that once, but wasn't he cursed with a couple of uncherub-like changes in the garden of Eden.

I think he's a shape-shifter, now.
Just for fun, try doing a little research on nachash as in...

Gen 3:1 Now the nachash was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

serpent is tranlated from the word nachash. You'll find that it can mean shiny one and then you may even stumble upon "whispering enchanter".

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Ah, so 'serpent' might be a better description of his nature than his appearance... I get it. :)

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, I agree with some that this topic is not something that matters enough for brothers to get angry with each other about.

Personally, I believe that the answer to Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14 can be found in Matt. 16:23, when Jesus spoke to Peter and said "Get behind me Satan." His speech was directed toward Peter, but He was speaking to the spiritual force that was driving Peter's current actions. That's what the Lord is doing in Ezek. 28 & Is. 14. He is speaking to the Kings of Tyre and Babylon, but He is actually speaking to the spiritual force that was driving them. The King of Tyre wasn't in Eden, and he wasn't an anointed cherub, but the devil that was driving him does fit that description. It's hard to not believe in spiritual angels and demons that affect people's lives when Jesus spent so much of His time casting demons out. Also, we have the whole fight between Michael and the Prince of Persia. Then there is Eph. 6, which teaches us that our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against spiritual forces of wickedness, etc.
veteran said:
Revelation 12 actually reveals where Satan's place is, which is another reason why the idea of hades being under the earth is an expression and not meant literally.

Rev 12:7-12
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

This casting out event has not happened yet. It's for the last days. Satan's place is in heaven, meaning the heavenly dimension of existence. God's Word reveals only two types of dimensions of existence, this earthly one where we are, and the heavenly one where God and the angels dwell.
Revelation 14 is kind of a break where Jesus gives us a summary or panoramic view of the entire history of creation from the beginning to the end. Satan being cast out of heaven isn't something that is going to happen in the last days.

dragonfly said:
Ah, so 'serpent' might be a better description of his nature than his appearance... I get it. :)
I think it's both. I think in context, serpent is a good translation, especially looking at its curse, which was that he would have to crawl on his belly. I definitely don't believe that Satan's only form is a serpent, though. The Bible teaches that sometimes he appears as an angel of light. Satan is a spirit, not flesh. That's why when he makes appearances that we can see in the flesh, it's not always going to be the same. In the Bible, demons have been known to inhabit people and pigs. Maybe Satan just inhabited a serpent in the same way that Jesus allowed Legion to enter the pigs.

Nov 9, 2012
I think it's both. I think in context, serpent is a good translation, especially looking at its curse, which was that he would have to crawl on his belly. I definitely don't believe that Satan's only form is a serpent, though. The Bible teaches that sometimes he appears as an angel of light. Satan is a spirit, not flesh. That's why when he makes appearances that we can see in the flesh, it's not always going to be the same. In the Bible, demons have been known to inhabit people and pigs. Maybe Satan just inhabited a serpent in the same way that Jesus allowed Legion to enter the pigs.
Just something to think about...

Eze 28:12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.

Perfect in beauty.

Eze 28:13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
Eze 28:14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
Eze 28:15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Satan was perfect from the day he was created until the day he sinned. Until the day that lawlessness took hold in him. Did this affect his outward beauty? Probably not, what became ugly was attititude and character. I would imagine he appeared to Eve as a stunningly beautiful creature. She would have no reason to recoil in horror from him, she did not know what lawlessness was, she had never disobeyed until this point. Is Satan still very wise and knowledgable? He is able to deceive the whole world...

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

The vast majority of the world follows him willingly, he is called the god of this world...

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

To think he looks like a detestable snake is to be unaware of the danger. To assume you are a match for him is sheer folly. Even the great arch-angel Michael knew better than to rely on his own power to tangle with Satan...

Jud 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
Jud 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
Jud 1:10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

Not that Satan deserves any reverence, it is just that those who think they are a match for him have no idea what they are getting into.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John_8:32 said:
Just something to think about...

Eze 28:12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.

Perfect in beauty.

Eze 28:14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

Satan was perfect from the day he was created until the day he sinned. Until the day that lawlessness took hold in him. Did this affect his outward beauty? Probably not, what became ugly was attititude and character. I would imagine he appeared to Eve as a stunningly beautiful creature. She would have no reason to recoil in horror from him, she did not know what lawlessness was, she had never disobeyed until this point. Is Satan still very wise and knowledgable? He is able to deceive the whole world...

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

The vast majority of the world follows him willingly, he is called the god of this world...

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

To think he looks like a detestable snake is to be unaware of the danger. To assume you are a match for him is sheer folly. Even the great arch-angel Michael knew better than to rely on his own power to tangle with Satan...

Jud 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
Jud 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
Jud 1:10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

Not that Satan deserves any reverence, it is just that those who think they are a match for him have no idea what they are getting into.
I agree with almost everything you said. But the difference is that I believe that the serpent was a beautiful creature before it was cursed. I don't think the serpent was detestable in appearance at all, until it was cursed. I also think that it must not have been abnormal for animals, at least serpents, to talk before the fall.

But with that in mind, like I said before, Satan is a spiritual being who appears as an angel of light, but took on the form of a serpent in this case. The Hebrew word נָחשׁ is used figuratively a few times, but it is also used a lot in the Old Testament for actual snakes. A few examples are Exodus 4:3, Numbers 21:6, Deuteronomy 8:15, Ecclesiastes 10:8, and Amos 5:19.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
It's pretty clear that his rebellious act against God was disrupting Adam and Eve. After they ate from the Tree of Knowledge is when God cursed the serpent to crawl on his belly, undoubtedly a metaphor for falling from grace.

A third of the angels went with him, and this was probably due to Satan marching up in Heaven boasting. He tried to justify his inequity, pointing at Adam and Eve to show that perfection was too much to bear. Other angels had agreed and left with him.
Just like with Job, and even Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, he is the Accuser and tries to adverse others to justify himself.

That's pretty much it about Satan. One can see how he is the prince of the Earth and dwells in it, because the world refelects him. Mankind, collectively, is tainted with inequity and finds ways to justify it's sins, even if it means accusing others of doing the same. That is why the gospel of Jesus is so penetrating to men.