When do we receive the Paraclete?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Paraclete indwelling operation was released for the first time only after Jesus had died on the cross, John 16:

7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate [Paraclete] will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
When does a believer receive the Paraclete?

John 14:

23 If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
I understand the "we" above refers to the Paraclete. However, there is not exactly one consistent precise moment for all believers when the Paraclete will dwell in them. On the day of the Pentecost, Acts2:

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
i.e., the Paraclete

39 This promise belongs to you and your children and to all who are far off—to all whom the Lord our God will call to Himself.”
Elsewhere in Galatians 3:

1O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. 2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?
I interpret the Spirit here as the Paraclete. Here, Paul didn't mention baptism.

Ephesians 1:

13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is the guaranteed of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
What happens afterward?

Sanctification, Galatians 3:

3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith
The indwelling Paraclete is connected to our human spirit. This is our vital connection for everyday spiritual enablement as we grow in the Spirit.

From my personal experience, I list the following sequence of events:

1. I heard the gospel for many years here and there but never believed it.
  2. One day, I heard it again and finally believed it. Presumably, the Paraclete took up residence in me at this time but I was unaware of it.
  3. Some days later, a Christian friend led me into the prayer.
  4. A few months later, I could perceive the Paraclete speaking into my conscience every now and then.
  5. A couple of years later, I was baptized.
  6. I started to read the Bible and pray daily.
  7. A couple of years later, I could perceive the Paraclete in me and sense peace every time at any time.
This is the role of the Paraclete in initial salvation plus daily sanctification.

It is up to God. On our part, believe, repent, get baptized, and love and obey God.

See also How to get closer to God and grow in faith.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Paraclete indwelling operation was released for the first time only after Jesus had died on the cross, John 16:

John 14:

I understand the "we" above refers to the Paraclete. However, there is not exactly one consistent precise moment for all believers when the Paraclete will dwell in them. On the day of the Pentecost, Acts2:

i.e., the Paraclete

I interpret the Spirit here as the Paraclete. Here, Paul didn't mention baptism.

Ephesians 1:

What happens afterward?

The indwelling Paraclete is connected to our human spirit. This is our vital connection for everyday spiritual enablement as we grow in the Spirit.

2. One day, I heard it again and finally believed it. Presumably, the Paraclete took up residence in me at this time but I was unaware of it.
  4. A few months later, I could perceive the Paraclete speaking into my conscience every now and then.
  7. A couple of years later, I could perceive the Paraclete in me and sense peace every time at any time.
This is the role of the Paraclete in initial salvation plus daily sanctification.

It is up to God. On our part, believe, repent, get baptized, and love and obey God.

I had gone to church for 30 years without ever receiving the Holy Spirit, nor ever receiving an answer to prayer. I was taught that the gifts of the Spirit had ceased, and they really didn't emphasize the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. All we heard was to not sin, and to keep the Ten Commandments in our own will power.

Then I had a conversation with a woman during the Jesus Movement around 1971 who believed in the working of the Holy Spirit and His gifts. For six years I prayed for the Holy Spirit and tried to speak in tongues in my own power wondering but not knowing much about the whole thing. Then in 1977 I finally correctly repented, and that is when I received the Holy Spirit and felt a huge weight lift off of me. The next day I woke up and had no desire to commit the sins I committed just the day before. My sin nature was completely cleansed, and that is when, like you, I had a hunger for reading the Bible and doing everything I could to learn more and more about Jesus.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I had gone to church for 30 years without ever receiving the Holy Spirit, nor ever receiving an answer to prayer. I was taught that the gifts of the Spirit had ceased, and they really didn't emphasize the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. All we heard was to not sin, and to keep the Ten Commandments in our own will power.

Then I had a conversation with a woman during the Jesus Movement around 1971 who believed in the working of the Holy Spirit and His gifts. For six years I prayed for the Holy Spirit and tried to speak in tongues in my own power wondering but not knowing much about the whole thing. Then in 1977 I finally correctly repented, and that is when I received the Holy Spirit and felt a huge weight lift off of me. The next day I woke up and had no desire to commit the sins I committed just the day before. My sin nature was completely cleansed, and that is when, like you, I had a hunger for reading the Bible and doing everything I could to learn more and more about Jesus.
Praise the Lord! Thanks for the testimony :)

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 14:

i.e., the Paraclete

Ephesians 1:

What happens afterward?

I have a difficult time with this question because of my upbringing. I was raised in a rather dry and formal Lutheran church. My family was more involved than anybody in the church outside of the pastors. We were every week attenders and participated in everything from the Communion service to potlucks to Bible studies to the music. I was confirmed in my early teens, having read through the Bible.

Regardless, I became very disappointed with myself because I felt myself to be a "square," and although socially accepted I felt I was outside of "fun" society. And so I began to fraternize with "hoods," with those from broken homes or good homes who experimented with all kinds of sin.

After promising God for months and months I finally made a commitment to God to stop *all* of my sinning. It happened to coincide with the Jesus movement, with one of my friends having converted to that. I had been "dipped" in baptism as an infant, which was just a dedication service by the parents. But I decided to get rebaptized in a local lake by some Jesus friends.

While I existed summer long in total boredom just reading the Bible I came across a passage in Acts where God said "I give my Spirit to those who obey Me." Instantly I felt approved of God and was filled with the Spirit of God. I begged God not to leave me when I went to sleep that night, but first thing in the morning He was there, still recognizable in His presence. I had learned that we can expect with our obedience an infilling of God's Spirit to help us to witness to Him.

Pentecostals and Charismatics, who I fell in with, called this the "Baptism in the Spirit," but I never came to a clear understanding of either the biblical language or the theology. Over the years I've developed my own views, though it is conditioned by my own personal experience, and not by the experience of others.

I've actually "known God" to some degree since birth. But I never really walked in the Spirit or did anything moral of much significance in the way of "testimony" until I learned that what I did was related to God's Spirit infilling me. When I spoke of Jesus I could expect that the Spirit would confirm my message.

So I know that some like Apollos may have had a real knowledge of God and still lacked a knowledge of how the Spirit impacts the obedient Christian. And I think true obedience means that we fully give up our own "natural" ways to live in partnership with God through His living word.

Giving up our "natural life" means that we cease doing things independent of God's internal guidance. We pursue God's will in everything, being willing to give up carnal impulses.

Should this happen in our Christian life from day one? Yes. It just didn't work out that way for me due to my lack of knowledge. Many Christians lack this knowledge, and nobody in my orbit had told me any different for many years.

The Spirit has always empowered those who prophesy or who give witness to God's living word. It's just that now that Christ has redeemed us all, as Christians, we are all made witnesses to his eternal salvation. As such, we should know that the Spirit is made available to us from the moment we accept who Christ is. We can then give this testimony to others.

Last edited: