Which OT laws should I obey?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul gave us some guidelines in Colossians 2:

20 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: 21“Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22 These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.
Further, the indwelling Spirit will show us. Hebrews 10:

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds.
"my laws" refers to the Paraclete or Holy Spirit of God. The putting is fulfilled when the Spirit/Paraclete dwells in my conscience.

Rom 7:

5 For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were [aroused] by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death.
That was before. Now comes the after:

6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.
Galatians 5:

18 if you are led by the Spirit [Paraclete], you are not under the law.
Thayer's Greek Lexicon for the Greek word paraclete:

one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant; an advocate.
Study God's commandments daily. Grow in the Spirit. Let your conscience and the peace of the Paraclete guide you in your daily walk.

See also Circumcision is nothing: keeping God’s COMMANDS is what counts

Reactions: Nancy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”So now anyone who is in Christ Jesus is not judged guilty. That is because in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit that brings life made you free. It made you free from the law that brings sin and death. The law was without power because it was made weak by our sinful selves. But God did what the law could not do: He sent his own Son to earth with the same human life that everyone else uses for sin. God sent him to be an offering to pay for sin. So God used a human life to destroy sin. He did this so that we could be right just as the law said we must be. Now we don’t live following our sinful selves. We live following the Spirit.“
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8‬:‭1‬-‭4‬ ‭ERV‬‬

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem some appear to have is in understanding that Moral Law can be associated with pre-Christian Law or can be associated with Christian Law. The difference is that prior to Christian Law God had one nation, Israel, live by a set of rules that reflect pre-redemption status with God. Keeping that Law kept Israel in good standing with God until Christian redemption could be fulfilled.

Moral Law has been in effect from the time God created Man in His own image and likeness. That is Moral Law, to live like God and to obey Him as Lord, to follow His Word. That has never changed from one covenant to another.

So we will find many moral principles under the Law of Moses that remain beneficial today, though we are not under that particular covenant. But it must be clear that our redemption is fulfilled and that anything that depicts pre-redemption requirements is *not* part of Moral Law any longer. That is no longer part of "obeying God as Lord."

If we are to to avoid murder we do so not to acknowledge that we are under the Law of Moses, but rather, to show that we continue to need to live like God and to obey His Moral Law. We now obey God by serving Him under a new covenant, one that does not require pre-redemption requirements that were given only to the nation Israel.

Mankind has always been under the Moral Law of conscience. And God's Word has always spoken to the consciences of men. Embracing covenant relationship with God now in the NT era allows God to come and reside within us through the Holy Spirit so that we may permanently display God's character in our lives, and not just do occasional good works.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing lacking in the New Testament teachings of Christ and the Apostles that would justify looking to the Old Testament for morals or guidance…..Nothing there but a ministry of death and misery and cruelty and an effort of futility because it does not provide salvation.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing lacking in the New Testament teachings of Christ and the Apostles that would justify looking to the Old Testament for morals or guidance…..Nothing there but a ministry of death and misery and cruelty and an effort of futility because it does not provide salvation.
I understand the dissatisfaction you feel towards those who wish to get us all tied up in legalism again--I share those sentiments.

However, Paul said we can *learn* from the OT Scriptures, if we use them properly. Anything beyond this is Marcion and his sense of a complete partition between a NT God and an OT God.

I agree that we do not get our morals directly from the Law of Moses. But we can certainly understand its fulfillment in Christ and in his Moral System.

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 22
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Paul said this

Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand the dissatisfaction you feel towards those who wish to get us all tied up in legalism again--I share those sentiments.

However, Paul said we can *learn* from the OT Scriptures, if we use them properly. Anything beyond this is Marcion and his sense of a complete partition between a NT God and an OT God.

I agree that we do not get our morals directly from the Law of Moses. But we can certainly understand its fulfillment in Christ and in his Moral System.

What I said is truth and it will keep you out of trouble.

It’s like the kid that grew up in a divorced family and the father remarried and started a good Christian family and the mother found a demon spawned man that would get drunk and beat her and the children all the time…and worse.

And you have a child that spent time with both families the good family and the bad family, what can that child learn??? He can learn how to form a good family and the value of a good family. And he can learn what not to do. Not even to hate, but just to do the right thing and mash in his face and break nearly every bone in his body so that for the rest of his life he looked like an ugly crocked tree walking. By my hand.

Every Christian should know the Old Testament backwards and forwards and know the 613 Mosaic Laws and what they mean and their affects. But just like the story above what Christians can mostly learn from the Old Testament is what not to do. And stand fast against all forms of evil and have courage and do the right thing…. Do not hate but....Give evil no tolerance, no mercy, and no quarter.

Be good and do good.
The Johnny Appleseed of Truth Ministry

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I said is truth and it will keep you out of trouble.

It’s like the kid that grew up in a divorced family and the father remarried and started a good Christian family and the mother found a demon spawned man that would get drunk and beat her and the children all the time…and worse.

And you have a child that spent time with both families the good family and the bad family, what can that child learn??? He can learn how to form a good family and the value of a good family. And he can learn what not to do. Not even to hate, but just to do the right thing and mash in his face and break nearly every bone in his body so that for the rest of his life he looked like an ugly crocked tree walking. By my hand.

Every Christian should know the Old Testament backwards and forwards and know the 613 Mosaic Laws and what they mean and their affects. But just like the story above what Christians can mostly learn from the Old Testament is what not to do. And stand fast against all forms of evil and have courage and do the right thing…. Do not hate but....Give evil no tolerance, no mercy, and no quarter.

Be good and do good.
The Johnny Appleseed of Truth Ministry
Not even close. There's a reason King David wrote the longest Psalm in the Bible in praise of the Law of Moses. And no--David was not a vile heretic! ;)

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul gave us some guidelines in Colossians 2:
In Colossians 2:20-23, Paul described what he was speaking against as being elementary principle of the world, human teachings and precepts, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body, so he was speaking about paganism, not OT laws.

Further, the indwelling Spirit will show us. Hebrews 10:
In Hebrews 8:10, is is quoting from Jeremiah 31:33, where states that the New Covenant involves God putting the Torah in our minds and writing it on our hearts. Likewise, in Ezekiel 36:26-27, the New Covenant involves the Spirit leading us to obey the Torah

"my laws" refers to the Paraclete or Holy Spirit of God. The putting is fulfilled when the Spirit/Paraclete dwells in my conscience.

Rom 7:
In Romans 7, Paul said that the Torah is good, that he wanted to do good, that he delighted in obeying it, and that he served with his mind, but contrasted that with the law of sin that was working within his members to cause him not to do the good that he wanted to do, that was holding him captive, that was waging war against the law of his mind, and that he served with his flesh. Romans 7:7, the Torah is not sinful, but is how we know what sin is, and when our sin is revealed, then that leads us to repent and causes sin to decrease, however, the law of sin stirs up sinful passions in order to bear fruit unto death, so it is sinful and causes sin to increase. It would be absurd to interpret Romans 7:5 and 7:22 as both referring to the Law of God as if Paul delighted in stirring up sinful passions in order to bear fruit unto death.

That was before. Now comes the after:

Galatians 5:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon for the Greek word paraclete:

Study God's commandments daily. Grow in the Spirit. Let your conscience and the peace of the Paraclete guide you in your daily walk.

See also Circumcision is nothing: keeping God’s COMMANDS is what counts
In Galatians 5:16-23, Paul again spoke about the good that he wanted to do in obedience to the Torah in accordance with the fruits of the Spirit in contrast with the works of the flesh that are against the Spirit and the desires of the flesh that are causing us not to do the good that we want to do, so the law that we are not under when we are under the Spirit is not the Law of God, but the law of sin. The Spirit is God, so it would be absurd to interpret Galatians 5:18 as saying that we are not under the Law of God when we are led by the Spirit and are now being led by the Spirit to partake in the works of the flesh that are against the Law of God.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”So now anyone who is in Christ Jesus is not judged guilty. That is because in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit that brings life made you free. It made you free from the law that brings sin and death. The law was without power because it was made weak by our sinful selves. But God did what the law could not do: He sent his own Son to earth with the same human life that everyone else uses for sin. God sent him to be an offering to pay for sin. So God used a human life to destroy sin. He did this so that we could be right just as the law said we must be. Now we don’t live following our sinful selves. We live following the Spirit.“
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8‬:‭1‬-‭4‬ ‭ERV‬‬
In Romans 7:21-25, Paul delighted in obeying the Law of God and served it with his mind, but contested it with the law of sin, which held him captive, which was waging war against the law of his mind, which which he served with his flesh, so in Romans 8:1-4, Paul equated the Law of God with the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ by saying that it free us from the law of sin and death. After all the Law of God was given by God and the Spirt is God. Furthermore, in Romans 8:4-7, Paul contrasted those who walk in the Spirit with those who have minds set on the flesh who are enemies of God who refuse to submit to the Law of God.

Reactions: MatthewG

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NT authors quoted or alluded to the OT thousands of times in order to show that it supported what they were saying and to show that they hadn't departed from it. In Act 17:11, the Bereans were praised because they diligently tested everything against OT Scripture to see if what Paul said was true, so agreement with OT Scripture is the standard by which we should accept the truth of what is written in the NT. In Romans 15:4, Paul said that OT Scripture was written for our instructions. In 2 Timothy 3:15-17, Paul referred to OT Scripture as being profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness that the man of God may be complete, throughly equipped to do every good work. Morality is based on God's character and God's character is eternal, so it did not change in the NT. Romans 10:5-8, it references Deuteronomy 30:11-20 as the word of faith that we proclaim in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult for us to obey and that obedience to it brings life and a blessing while disobedience to it brings death and a curse, so choose life! So God's law is a ministry of life for those who choose to obey it and the fact that it is a ministry of death for those who refuse to submit to it is not a very good reason to refuse to submit to it. In Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of faith by setting it before him, so this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not even close. There's a reason King David wrote the longest Psalm in the Bible in praise of the Law of Moses. And no--David was not a vile heretic! ;)

Have you ever read Muslim or Hindu writings?
They have wisdom saying too….but you have to look at what it produces. The wisdom of a man that would have multiple wives or concubines or would sell their daughters as sex slave as far as I am concerned is the poetry of Satan.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NT authors quoted or alluded to the OT thousands of times in order to show that it supported what they were saying and to show that they hadn't departed from it.

Produce a thousand scriptures please!

Paul referred to OT Scripture as being profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness that the man of God may be complete, throughly equipped to do every good work. Morality is based on God's character and God's character is eternal, so it did not change in the NT.

If you are in the market to sell your daughters as a sex slave. And is that the character of God?

So God's law is a ministry of life for those who choose to obey it and the fact that it is a ministry of death for those who refuse to submit to it is not a very good reason to refuse to submit to it.

Except Paul did not say that Law was a ministry of death for those who refuse to submit.

Galatians 3:12 “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us.....”

Galatians 3:1-5 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?
So bold to twist the scriptures.

Galatians 2:21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

Hebrews 8:13 “In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.”

Romans 3:20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

1st Corinthians 9:20 “And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law, through not being myself under the Law, that I might win those who are under the Law;”

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's law is not too difficult for us to obey and that obedience to it brings life and a blessing while disobedience to it brings death and a curse, so choose life!

If you believe this it is because you do know or understand the Mosaic Law.