When God lets you down

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 11 is a very good read about the Faith that God GIVES to those who are willing to abandon themselves to the complete will of God, without reservation, or presumption!

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple answer: You and most professing Christians are living/following after a false form of faith, that your own fleshly minded is fabricating and gennerating.
If Jesus is Living within you, in the Person of the Holy Spirit (His Mind), He has brought with Him His OWN Faith, and has nothing to do with the type of faith that your human mind is conjuring up.

The Faith of Jesus (Revelation 14:12), is to simply trust in God, NO MATTER where He leads you, and/or what the circumstances are. It is one of the GIFTS OF His Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12[7] But the manifestation of the Spirit IS GIVEN TO EVERY man [in Christ] to profit withal.
[8] For TO ONE IS GIVEN BY the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
[9] TO ANOTHER [is given] FAITH by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
[10] To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:....

Your answer is nauseating to me. It is Pharisaical and legalistic. You are using Scriptures which are true, but you are not speaking the truth. Where was Jesus faith when He asked, "...Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me...." (Matt. 26:39) Or when His soul was depressed to death? "...My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death...." (Matt. 26:39) Or on the cross when He questioned why God had forsaken Him? (Matt. 27:46)

Faith is not in the absence of these troubles we are forced to endure. It is in the midst of them when they overwhelm us even, as our experience is important. The faith you describe seems unreal and shallow. It is so victorious through trial because you seem to not even experience the trials. It is my opinion that if you have not been brought to the place as described by many in this thread, then your faith has not been tested.

I have often pictured this in my imagination concerning God and Christ and the trials He sends and my response. Again just my thoughts.

God the Father says: 'Lets give ole Stranger a trial to test his faith.
Christ the Son says: 'Sounds good, he needs it'
The Trial is sent, and a very grievous one at that.
Stranger responds: 'This is a hard trial but I am going to go through it victoriously, doubting nothing' And so I do.
The Father says to the Son: 'I don't think it's doing any good'
The Son says: 'I know, We are going to have to increase the pressure' Trial grows worse.
Stranger responds: 'I'm not sure why Lord, but I am going to trust you through this' And so I continue.
The Father says to the Son: 'Still not getting anywhere'
The Son says: 'I know...more pressure' Trial increases in severity
Stranger says: 'God what are You doing to me? Are You even paying attention to what is happening? Where are You when I need You?
The Father says to the Son: 'We are getting somewhere now'
The Son says: 'Yes, now we will see his faith'

I am aware of the verse (1Cor. 10:13) "...God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able:..." And I believe it. But I also know that what I perceive myself able to bear, and what God sees me able to bear, are very different.

Stranger

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your answer is nauseating to me. It is Pharisaical and legalistic. You are using Scriptures which are true, but you are not speaking the truth. Where was Jesus faith when He asked, "...Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me...." (Matt. 26:39) Or when His soul was depressed to death? "...My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death...." (Matt. 26:39) Or on the cross when He questioned why God had forsaken Him? (Matt. 27:46)

Faith is not in the absence of these troubles we are forced to endure. It is in the midst of them when they overwhelm us even, as our experience is important. The faith you describe seems unreal and shallow. It is so victorious through trial because you seem to not even experience the trials. It is my opinion that if you have not been brought to the place as described by many in this thread, then your faith has not been tested.

I have often pictured this in my imagination concerning God and Christ and the trials He sends and my response. Again just my thoughts.

Stranger responds: 'This is a hard trial but I am going to go through it victoriously, doubting nothing' And so I do.
The Son says: 'I know, We are going to have to increase the pressure' Trial grows worse.
Stranger responds: 'I'm not sure why Lord, but I am going to trust you through this' And so I continue.
Stranger says: 'God what are You doing to me? Are You even paying attention to what is happening? Where are You when I need You?

I am aware of the verse (1Cor. 10:13) "...God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able:..." And I believe it. But I also know that what I perceive myself able to bear, and what God sees me able to bear, are very different.

Stranger
Three thumbs up on this post!

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger
I am not the one who associates faith with the fictional story of "Pilgrim's Progress", nor do I fantasize of HOW I should think that God shall test me!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Three thumbs down on your comment, because you also lack spiritual discernment. Which btw, is also a characteristic and GIFT of the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:10
I have to laugh at this. Sorry if it offends you to say this.

Perhaps you haven't been crushed to pieces by God. Perhaps it's coming. He will do this if He desires to use you in ways you never even imagined. But know that the grain isn't crushed forever (Is 28:28)--only til it's made usable.

God bless you, Earburner! I pray that you will know that God loves you, even if He tests you beyond your own strength and discernment!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger

Only those who have been through the 'dark night of the soul' can realize the depth of suffering that another endures.

One of the first books I happened across when I became a Christian was the story of Corrie ten Boom in the prison at Auschwitz. Needless to say it was not a good book for a young Christian to read. The story told of the horrible conditions and Corrie would ask God "Lord You set the stars in the heavens so why don't you..." (I forget the exact wording.) I remember that she thanked God for the fleas in their barracks "because not a guard in Ravensbruck would come into their barracks." How can one thank God for fleas? It was very painful reading.

I'm at the point where I don't doubt one iota that God hears me, yet to me He sometimes seems cruel because He lets things happen to us that are bad. My mind has to make sense of that so I reason that there must be a good reason for him to allow these horrible things to happen that hurt. But then time and pain wear on like clockwork and I find myself getting angry at God. And on it goes...

My faith is intact - but I don't know how to come to terms with God and evil. I know a lawyer who lost his faith after handling priest sex abuse cases. He was a staunch Catholic and walked away from God. He said to me "there isn't any God that's why you're suffering!" He had to listen to a lot of painful, painful, things. In my feeble state of my faith being tested beyond what I thought I was able I told him that I tried walking away from God and couldn't because there IS nothing else."

But is that what God wants? Us to walk away from Him because He didn't help us, and we find nothing else, no one else, so we go back to Him?

I don't know. I remember Charles Stanley said "don't make excuses for God - He didn't do what you asked." So I try to keep my faith as real and honest as possible and I reach an impasse where I think God is sick for letting things into Christians' lives. Then we'll pass a church and I'll feel the spirit quicken in me and I know God is speaking to my heart.

I just can't reconcile the two: suffering and God. A friend emailed me the story of the author of "It is well with my soul" but it didn't help - all I saw was great suffering of that man and his wife and where is God?

Surely God knows that we question Him.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to laugh at this. Sorry if it offends you to say this.

Perhaps you haven't been crushed to pieces by God. Perhaps it's coming. He will do this if He desires to use you in ways you never even imagined. But know that the grain isn't crushed forever (Is 28:28)--only til it's made usable.

God bless you, Earburner! I pray that you will know that God loves you, even if He tests you beyond your own strength and discernment!

I'm glad that you posted that because I too have been crushed to pieces by God. I recall reading about a pastor who said he was pushed to the brink of despair and broken down until "nothing was left."
These struggles are real. The pastor of a church that we attended was very good at opening up Scripture. The church was legalistic so we left. We bumped into someone who still attends and she told us the pastor's wife committed suicide.

So some trials drive us to beyond what we think we can bear. And some take a way out. So I question where was God? I've been pushed to the point of thinking of escaping. I was injured badly due to a company's mistake. I am in pain 24/7 and have to bear the results of it that are very hard to live with. Sometimes I think of taking the way out. I know I'll be in paradise and these horrid trials done with. I've "despaired of life" as Paul did.

"For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life."

Last edited:
Reactions: Prayer Warrior

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Stranger
dang stranger, that was...impactful, is the word comes to mind. def a zinger imo bro

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Three thumbs down on your comment, because you also lack spiritual discernment. Which btw, is also a characteristic and GIFT of the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:10
it was maybe a little harsh up top but wadr i would try to ignore that and absorb the point down lower if you can. I dont agree with stranger too much fwiw lol

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm glad that you posted that because I too have been crushed to pieces by God. I recall reading about a pastor who said he was pushed to the brink of despair and broken down until "nothing was left."
These struggles are real. The pastor of a church that we attended was very good at opening up Scripture. The church was legalistic so we left. We bumped into someone who still attends and she told us the pastor's wife committed suicide.

So some trials drive us to beyond what we think we can bear. And some take a way out. So I question where was God? I've been pushed to the point of thinking of escaping. I was injured badly due to a company's mistake. I am in pain 24/7 and have to bear the results of it that are very hard to live with. Sometimes I think of taking the way out. I know I'll be in paradise and these horrid trials done with. I've "despaired of life" as Paul did.

"For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life."
And the whole point of Him working in us is to erradicate our feeble human faith, so as to install HIS FAITH, whereby we will be able to FULLY trust God the Father, as Jesus did. Job 13:15.

As I did say:
The Faith of Jesus (Revelation 14:12), is to simply trust in God, NO MATTER where He leads you, and/or what the circumstances are. It is one of the GIFTS OF His Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12

That is what our pain and suffering (chastisement) is all about. Are we in that state of mind as was Job?
Only by the the Lord's Gift faith, being that of Jesus' own faith, are we able to endure all suffering, even persecution unto death.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the whole point of Him working in us is to erradicate our feeble human faith, so as to install HIS FAITH, whereby we will be able to FULLY trust God the Father, as Jesus did. Job 13:15.

As I did say:
1 Corinthians 12

That is what our pain and suffering (chastisement) is all about. Are we in that state of mind as was Job?
Only by the the Lord's Gift faith, being that of Jesus' own faith, are we able to endure all suffering, even persecution unto death.

I honestly have to say that I don't know what He's doing - I try to get to the point of thinking that He must be working something out. Yet it's very hard to sustain that thought when your body or mind is screaming in pain and you cry out for relief and none comes. The only thing that comes is another day...full of trials.

God did encourage me with answered prayer: I had a looooooong time of beating on heaven's door, crying, fasting - and finally the answer came. So God did give me an answer there; it still hasn't fully sunk in. Yet I'm still waiting on other answers and it's grueling because I don't know if He's going to answer and the waiting and waiting and waiting and praying, praying, praying all gets wearying.

God knows I'm not one to handle pain well and He sees fit to give it to me - and that's hard. The sustaining of beliefs that God is working something is hard.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this a question of "We walk by faith, not by sight" and can we get to the point of glorying in our tribulations?

"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;"

I don't know - I haven't gotten there yet - maybe I should thank God? "Giving thanks in all circumstances..."

That's why I want to know how others' reached a point of peace while being "crushed" - an accurate word used by Prayer Warrior.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My dear sister, I pray that God will fill you with His hope, peace, and joy!

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I honestly have to say that I don't know what He's doing - I try to get to the point of thinking that He must be working something out. Yet it's very hard to sustain that thought when your body or mind is screaming in pain and you cry out for relief and none comes. The only thing that comes is another day...full of trials.

God did encourage me with answered prayer: I had a looooooong time of beating on heaven's door, crying, fasting - and finally the answer came. So God did give me an answer there; it still hasn't fully sunk in. Yet I'm still waiting on other answers and it's grueling because I don't know if He's going to answer and the waiting and waiting and waiting and praying, praying, praying all gets wearying.

God knows I'm not one to handle pain well and He sees fit to give it to me - and that's hard. The sustaining of beliefs that God is working something is hard.
As I previously said:
And the whole point of Him working in us, is to erradicate our feeble human faith, so as to install HIS FAITH, whereby we will be able to FULLY trust God the Father, as Jesus did.
KJV-
Job 13[15] Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I previously said:
And the whole point of Him working in us, is to erradicate our feeble human faith, so as to install HIS FAITH, whereby we will be able to FULLY trust God the Father, as Jesus did.
KJV-
Job 13[15] Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.
I don't believe that He eradicates our faith. I believe He strengthens it as we exercise our faith muscle by choosing to believe what He has said even when our eyes see the opposite and our hearts are breaking.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one can attain to level of Jesus' faith by sheer human hope or effort!
The "faith OF Jesus" is His Gift to us!
Unfortunately, not many allow or tap into His faith, and therefore blindly think that there is no other recourse, but to continue in their own human form of human faith, which is both vain and dead!
Rev. 14

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
^Rev. 14[12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe that He eradicates our faith. I believe He strengthens it as we exercise our faith muscle by choosing to believe what He has said even when our eyes see the opposite and our hearts are breaking.
Do you honestly believe your human faith is equal to the faith of Jesus, the Son of God from Heaven!