When God lets you down

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By this line of reasoning, Abraham and the others mentioned in Hebrews would have failed; but Hebrews says they all died in faith.

Faith also means loyalty. Are we loyal to Jesus? Will he say to us, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant?" What about the "unfaithful" servant the master punishes in Matthew 25? Did he lack faith because Jesus didn't give him enough faith? Is that the reason he was punished?

We may like to think faith means we can "trust" God; but maybe the question is also if God can trust us?
For those of us who do "keep the faith of Jesus", God is well able to protect His elect.
By being IN THEM Personally, it IS NOT possible for them to be decieved, and He shall keep them to the uttermost.

KJV Mat. 24[24] For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only those who have been through the 'dark night of the soul' can realize the depth of suffering that another endures.

One of the first books I happened across when I became a Christian was the story of Corrie ten Boom in the prison at Auschwitz. Needless to say it was not a good book for a young Christian to read. The story told of the horrible conditions and Corrie would ask God "Lord You set the stars in the heavens so why don't you..." (I forget the exact wording.) I remember that she thanked God for the fleas in their barracks "because not a guard in Ravensbruck would come into their barracks." How can one thank God for fleas? It was very painful reading.

I'm at the point where I don't doubt one iota that God hears me, yet to me He sometimes seems cruel because He lets things happen to us that are bad. My mind has to make sense of that so I reason that there must be a good reason for him to allow these horrible things to happen that hurt. But then time and pain wear on like clockwork and I find myself getting angry at God. And on it goes...

My faith is intact - but I don't know how to come to terms with God and evil. I know a lawyer who lost his faith after handling priest sex abuse cases. He was a staunch Catholic and walked away from God. He said to me "there isn't any God that's why you're suffering!" He had to listen to a lot of painful, painful, things. In my feeble state of my faith being tested beyond what I thought I was able I told him that I tried walking away from God and couldn't because there IS nothing else."

But is that what God wants? Us to walk away from Him because He didn't help us, and we find nothing else, no one else, so we go back to Him?

I don't know. I remember Charles Stanley said "don't make excuses for God - He didn't do what you asked." So I try to keep my faith as real and honest as possible and I reach an impasse where I think God is sick for letting things into Christians' lives. Then we'll pass a church and I'll feel the spirit quicken in me and I know God is speaking to my heart.

I just can't reconcile the two: suffering and God. A friend emailed me the story of the author of "It is well with my soul" but it didn't help - all I saw was great suffering of that man and his wife and where is God?

Surely God knows that we question Him.

I have said it somewhere, and I think it was on this forum, that I could not do to my children what God does to His. And I still believe this. I would be doing just the opposite, trying to have them avoid suffering.

God has chosen the way of suffering as the way of growing in Him. Whether we understand it all, or can reconcile it all, is no matter. It is the way He has chosen. Whenever something occurs in my life, and others are prone to ask, 'where was your God when all this happened'? I just say. the same place He was when when His Son was dying on the Cross.

Why didn't He choose a different way? Why does His Son have to die like that? I don't know. I know He does what works. Most likely nothing else would have worked.

And, I would also like to say, God doesn't get all that upset when we question what He is doing. He expects it. He doesn't slap us across the face and say be quiet and just do what I said. He knows our frame, that we are but men. I love His dialogue with Jonah.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Three thumbs down on your comment, because you also lack spiritual discernment. Which btw, is also a characteristic and GIFT of the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:10

She wasn't talking to you. Yet you go out of your way to be rude and use Scripture to support it. And who are you to discern who has 'spiritual discernment'?

Stranger

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those of us who do "keep the faith of Jesus", God is well able to protect His elect.
By being IN THEM Personally, it IS NOT possible for them to be decieved, and He shall keep them to the uttermost.

KJV Mat. 24[24] For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
How did Abraham and the others "keep the faith of Jesus"?
You wrote this also previously:
Yes, I read it!
James is talking to Christians, Who are already Gifted with the Holy Spirit within them. And of the Holy Spirit, He is the vehicle for us, in how the Gifts of the Spirit are manifested in and through us.

One of His Gifts is faith. That is "the faith of Jesus" that has come down to us from Heaven, and not the faith that is fabricated and mustered up from our ownselves. Our faith cannot manifest anything of the Spirit.
Now you seem to be shifting gears and say the Holy Spirit "temporarily visited" upon them to help their faith.
Yes! And you also know that the Holy Spirit temporarily visited upon them, to help their faith.
I can't figure out what you believe.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have said it somewhere, and I think it was on this forum, that I could not do to my children what God does to His. And I still believe this. I would be doing just the opposite, trying to have them avoid suffering.

God has chosen the way of suffering as the way of growing in Him. Whether we understand it all, or can reconcile it all, is no matter. It is the way He has chosen. Whenever something occurs in my life, and others are prone to ask, 'where was your God when all this happened'? I just say. the same place He was when when His Son was dying on the Cross.

Why didn't He choose a different way? Why does His Son have to die like that? I don't know. I know He does what works. Most likely nothing else would have worked.

And, I would also like to say, God doesn't get all that upset when we question what He is doing. He expects it. He doesn't slap us across the face and say be quiet and just do what I said. He knows our frame, that we are but men. I love His dialogue with Jonah.

Stranger

Neither could I. Those with a sensitive heart suffer worse because they suffer themselves but also suffer for others.

I have grown when I've suffered - that's when I really looked into the Scriptures to find out what God wanted. This time however, the trial are so great that I'm exhausted and have not searched the Scriptures. I probably will at some point but as much as I long for God, the other part of me is exhausted with His dealings with me and I get angry.

I think other Christians go through this questioning. These are not times for casual reprimands as Job was subjected to - these are trials that call on every ounce of strength to endure.

I have read before that suffering is what God has chosen as a way for us to grow. I've read the verses about "chastening us as sons" yet sometimes it just doesn't carry you. Then I see a friend of mine who never had severe testing. She was raised Christian and married a Christian - I was the opposite. I was raised with a fake Catholic doctrine and married an unbeliever and I was an unbeliever. My salvation came very hard. We were unequally yoked for a long time until my husband was saved. My great grandfather was a pastor and the faith wasn't passed on and that is a crime. My friend's life has gone on smoothly and mine not and it makes me jealous. Why isn't everyone seemingly not tested like Job?

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I appreciate your view of keeping the faith; When undergoing harsh trials my faith is intact - it's what is God doing that's my question. I suppose I could push the thoughts down and grin and bear it but it just goes underground.

Reactions: bbyrd009

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know this won't be a topic many want to address yet I'm facing it right now. How do you handle it when God lets you down?

I'm trying to think that He has other plans that are better than mine yet still circumstances seem to favor unbelievers at times, and those carrying the cross have even more burdens laid on their backs. How do you handle despair with God - when you really expected help and it didn't come?

I know in Pilgrims Progress I believe it was Faith who died at the stake and then Hope walked on with Christian.

I'm sorry for your discouragement Soverign Grace, you are definitely in my prayers. Ephesians 6:18 "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people."

I pray in the Spirit as much as I can and if I realize my prayer may be selfish, I try to correct it and ask the Lord for guidance. When I feel I'm let down by unanswered prayers, sent to God, I just keep praying and do not give up (Luke 18:1). If my prayer/ prayers never get answered, I remind myself that Jesus is Glorified either way and nothing in this life, good or bad, is guaranteed. However, the life hereafter is what brings me joy in all things. The Father will wipe away all my tears, I will be eternally ecstatic and this is the Hope that I have Faith in.

Nothing But Praise For You Jesus!! I Love You!

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry for your discouragement Soverign Grace, you are definitely in my prayers. Ephesians 6:18 "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people."

I pray in the Spirit as much as I can and if I realize my prayer may be selfish, I try to correct it and ask the Lord for guidance. When I feel I'm let down by unanswered prayers, sent to God, I just keep praying and do not give up (Luke 18:1). If my prayer/ prayers never get answered, I remind myself that Jesus is Glorified either way and nothing in this life, good or bad, is guaranteed. However, the life hereafter is what brings me joy in all things. The Father will wipe away all my tears, I will be eternally ecstatic and this is the Hope that I have Faith in.

Nothing But Praise For You Jesus!! I Love You!

I have struggled with how long I should keep praying. I know the verse about the unjust judge but there comes a point where you think your prayers are futile. God did encourage me with answered prayer of 15 years duration yet there are still unanswered prayers.

Thank you for the prayers!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Stranger
word
dang Stranger, good stuff lately imo bro

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have read before that suffering is what God has chosen as a way for us to grow. I've read the verses about "chastening us as sons" yet sometimes it just doesn't carry you. Then I see a friend of mine who never had severe testing. She was raised Christian and married a Christian - I was the opposite. I was raised with a fake Catholic doctrine and married an unbeliever and I was an unbeliever. My salvation came very hard. We were unequally yoked for a long time until my husband was saved. My great grandfather was a pastor and the faith wasn't passed on and that is a crime. My friend's life has gone on smoothly and mine not and it makes me jealous. Why isn't everyone seemingly not tested like Job?

Hey there.
One thing I have had to learn is God keeps good accounts...He is no mans debtor .
It always seems as if King David knew a lot about God's workings which are not even written before his time...he obviously had prophetic insight.

In Psalm 56 he says:-
8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?
9 "When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me."

It seems that David knew that God had 'a bottle' that He kept tears in!!
Nothing with God go unnoticed.

Maybe when the roll call goes out for us all...your heavenly reward will be greater that your friends will be. Hers has cost her nothing, you are "laying up for yourself treasure in heaven ."

Because we are only human naturally we tend to focus on the 'here and now'...but the real issue is Later!!! I promise you , you will not lose out.

Like my own friend is always saying to me..." It is not what happens to you in life, but how you handle what happens to you that matters. Will you come out the other side bitter or better."

I cant argue with that!

Praying for you.

In my own dark time ( healthwise) I have listened to this anointed song over and over...it lifts me up, try it ♥︎ The words hit the spot.

( @Butterfly ...hope you can get this one on here ♥︎ )

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
However, the life hereafter is what brings me joy in all things.
1On the other side of the sea, they arrived in the region of the Gerasenes.a ("relating to or engaged in a headlong rush")
2As soon as Jesus got out of the boat, He was met by a man with an unclean spirit, who was coming from the tombs.
3This man had been living in the tombs and could no longer be restrained, even with chains.
4Though he was often bound with chains and shackles, he had broken the chains and shattered the shackles. Now there was no one with the strength to subdue him.
5Night and day in the tombs and in the mountains he kept crying out and cutting himself with stones.
6When the man saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees before Him.
7And he shouted in a loud voice, “What do You want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You before God not to torture me!”
8For Jesus had already declared, “Come out of this man, you unclean spirit!”
9“What is your name?” Jesus asked.

“My name is Legion,” he replied, “for we are many.”
(10And he begged Jesus repeatedly not to send them out of that region.)
11There on the nearby hillside a large herd of pigs was feeding.
12So the demons begged Jesus, “Send us to the pigs, so that we may enter them.”
13He gave them permission, and the unclean spirits came out and went into the pigs, and the herd of about two thousand rushed down the steep bank into the sea and drowned in the water.b
14Those tending the pigs ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened.
15When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons sitting there, clothed and in his right mind; and they were afraid.
16Those who had seen it described what had happened to the demon-possessed man and also to the pigs.
(17And the people began to beg Jesus to leave their region.)
18As He was getting into the boat, the man who had been possessed by the demons begged to go with Him.
19But Jesus would not allow him. “Go home to your own people,” He said, “and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and what mercy He has shown you.”

The amazing name Legion: meaning and etymology

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither could I. Those with a sensitive heart suffer worse because they suffer themselves but also suffer for others.

I have grown when I've suffered - that's when I really looked into the Scriptures to find out what God wanted. This time however, the trial are so great that I'm exhausted and have not searched the Scriptures. I probably will at some point but as much as I long for God, the other part of me is exhausted with His dealings with me and I get angry.

I think other Christians go through this questioning. These are not times for casual reprimands as Job was subjected to - these are trials that call on every ounce of strength to endure.

Yes, you always will grow in suffering.

Comparison is the worst thing a Christian can ever do. Either with other Christians or non-believers. We don't compare because we are individually important to God and Christ. Your walk, your suffering, your salvation is meaningful to Him in a way only geared for you.

The resurrected Christ directed his attention to Peter and said, "Follow me". (John 21:19) Peter, being Peter, asked Christ what about John? (21:21) "What shall this man do" Jesus answered, "If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me" (21:22) In other words, don't worry about John....follow Me.

This is why other believers may not suffer as much as you do. It is also why other believers suffer more than you do. The only thing important is to know Jesus Christ is there and with us on the road we are on. No matter how difficult it is. We have to keep our eyes on Jesus.

Stranger

Last edited:

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. She wasn't talking to you. Yet you go out of your way to be rude and use Scripture to support it.
2. And who are you to discern who has 'spiritual discernment'?
Stranger
1. If you read "Prayer Warrior's" opposing reply to me, you would know that "Stranger" then came along and posted to PW saying "three thumbs up" . So yes, I had every right to post what I said to "Stranger", who sided with PW's commennts of opposition against me.
2. The Holy Spirit within me. Its called discerning of spirits 1 Corinthians 12:10

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
LOL Which country's idiom is that. I suspect it means grumble.

Haha! British .....well it was in the part of the country where we lived.
Idioms vary all over England.

It would be a bit more like 'sulking' and 'navel gazing' than just grumbling. :)

Reactions: amadeus