When Is the Holy Spirit Received?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only, haven't read all of the responses. so not saying any are right or wrong.
but consider this.

the Baptism "OF" the Holy Spirit places one in the body of Christ, hence "BORN (OF) the spirit, or BORN again, or Born Alive. this is the identity "OF" God, his sons and daughters we have the same Spirit.

the Baptism "WITH" the Spirit is the Filling or the EMPOWERMENT of the Spirit to accomplish a task.

simply put, The Baptism "OF" the Spirit is a work of the Spirit on us.the placement of one in the Body of Christ, our comfort.
the Baptism "WITH" the Spirit is a work of the Spirit "IN" us, to do a work or task. this is known as being "FILLED" with the Spirit.

being Baptize of the Spirit
we in him and he in us, supportive scriptures,
John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
John 14:17 "Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
John 14:18 "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
John 14:19 "Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
John 14:20 "At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

while he is "WITH" us he will also empower us to accomplish a task. example,

Acts 2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance". here the apostles and all in the house was "FILLED" WITH the Holy Spirit.

NOW THE CLASSIC REVELATION OF BEING BORN "OF" THE SPIRIT AND BEING FILLED "WITH" THE SPIRIT.

the Example... the Lord Jesus was he not BORN "OF" the Spirit, and then FILLED "WITH" the Spirit?, let's check the RECORD.

Matthew 1:18 "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

now his filling, Matthew 3:16 "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
was this descending by the Spirit was the anointing? or the empowering to do something? let's see, Luke 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised".

the Lord Jesus didn't heal, open blind eyes, nor made the lame walk until he received the Spirit. but was he NOT "already "BORN" of the Spirit? yes.

so the baptism of the Spirit is not the same as the baptism "WITH" the spirit. I believe thare's a difference.

PCY.

Reactions: Helen

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was saved when I was 7 years old....got baptized with water a couple of years later.....I didn't get baptized with the baptism of the Holy Spirit until I was 16 years old....I went up to the alter and asked the pastor to pray with me to be baptized in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues....and when the Holy Spirit came upon me and filled me I was in total awe and awareness of His presence....it is something you just can't explain in words....
So to say when the Holy Spirit is received....well in those terms I would say when you get saved, when you are baptized in water, and then the BAPTISM of the HOLY SPIRIT is the grand finale! But with the baptism of the Holy Spirit you now will become a vessel through which He operates His gifts through....so this is the one with POWER....