When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” did He mean nobody could be good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you think one must be imperfect to be made more perfect?.
John 6:63 - he had your flesh so he could say this! No dual nature or cunningly devised fables!
John 2:23-25 he knew what was in man because it was in him!
That's why he could never accept the title of Good Teacher - he knew the same reality Paul did as per Romans 7:18
So many Scriptures
Accept one soon else you fall and might not get up!

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Psalm is Messianic yes?
It's ultimate fulfillment is in Christ yes?

Psalms 16:2 I say to the Lord, “You are the Lord, my only source of well-being (goodness).”

It means Christ had no source of goodness without His God.

He is the Holy One of God's providing!

Jesus needed God's protection yes? Psalms 16:1
Jesus' future was secure because of His Father Psalms 16:5
Jesus when he died didn't see corruption due to his sinlessness Psalms 16:10.

It all speaks to Hebrews 5:7 - Jesus was like is held to slavery of death and relied on His God to save him.

No different to us!...hence he is called the first fruits of them that sleep.

He is not God in any way!

And in terms of the OP the answer to whether we can do good has been answer by the example of the rich young rulre Mark 10:18-22

F2F
If He had said he was would you feel differently?, is that what keeps you from believing God can do anything the impossible.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting some rich men was disciples

Matthew 27:57
When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who also was a disciple of Jesus.
True, but for some men it wasn't the cross they had to bear - the rich young ruler had a problem with wealth and Jesus knew it - so he confronted him to sell all that he had - he went away sad because he possibly felt he couldn't do that!

What is your cross?

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:63 - he had your flesh so he could say this! No dual nature or cunningly devised fables!
John 2:23-25 he knew what was in man because it was in him!
That's why he could never accept the title of Good Teacher - he knew the same reality Paul did as per Romans 7:18
So many Scriptures
Accept one soon else you fall and might not get up!
The life of man came after the creation of man

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If He had said he was would you feel differently?, is that what keeps you from believing God can do anything the impossible.
No, are you struggling to understand the Psalm and how it relates to Jesus' life?

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The commonsense interpretation of Jesus' reaction to the address "Good teacher" is that Jesus distinguishes Himself from God and denied that He is good: "Why do you call me good. No one is good but God alone (Mark 10L17-18)." Notice how Matthew, in copying Mark, recognizes this and takes so much offense at Jesus' response that he replaces "Good teacher" with "Teacher" and totally changes Jesus' response in Mark with "Why do you ask me about what is good (Matthew 19:16-17)?" The only way to avoid this scandal in Mark is to assume that Jesus is trying to elicit a recognition that Jesus is both "God" and "good" from the rich young ruler. But 2 points rule this option out:
(1) Nowhere in the context is Jesus' identity and true nature mentioned.
(2) Jesus calls Himself "the Son of God," but never "God." Notice how Jesus' denial of personal goodness fits neatly with His felt need to receive John's baptism of repentance. This need is not explained away by John's protest in Matthew 3:14-15.

So what's the explanation for Jesus' shocking question in Mark 10:18?
(1) By "God" Jesus means "God the Father" and so He is distinguishes Himself from His Father.
(2) The Father is the source of all goodness, and so, Jesus is sinless in the sense that He too derives His goodness from the Father and in the sense that Jesus did nothing to separate Himself from God, even though, being fully human, He had to learn by trial and error just like any humanl

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The life came through suffering in the flesh - a sacrifice of God for sin. Hebrews 13:10-12
Breathed into the nostrils surely means the body of man was fully created first, no one knows how long after.
Gen 2:7
Then the LORD God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils, and the man became a living being.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The commonsense interpretation of Jesus' reaction to the address "Good teacher" is that Jesus distinguishes Himself from God and denied that He is good: "Why do you call me good. No one is good but God alone (Mark 10L17-18)." Notice how Matthew, in copying Mark, recognizes this and takes so much offense at Jesus' response that he replaces "Good teacher" with "Teacher" and totally changes Jesus' response in Mark with "Why do you ask me about what is good (Matthew 19:16-17)?" The only way to avoid this scandal in Mark is to assume that Jesus is trying to elicit a recognition that Jesus is both "God" and "good" from the rich young ruler. But 2 points rule this option out:
(1) Nowhere in the context is Jesus' identity and true nature mentioned.
(2) Jesus calls Himself "the Son of God," but never "God." Notice how Jesus' denial of personal goodness fits neatly with His felt need to receive John's baptism of repentance. This need is not explained away by John's protest in Matthew 3:14-15.

So what's the explanation for Jesus' shocking question in Mark 10:18?
(1) By "God" Jesus means "God the Father" and so He is distinguishes Himself from His Father.
(2) The Father is the source of all goodness, and so, Jesus is sinless in the sense that He too derives His goodness from the Father and in the sense that Jesus did nothing to separate Himself from God, even though, being fully human, He had to learn by trial and error just like any humanl
Mark 10:20-21 shows the Rich young ruler had common sense and dropped the word good as to not further offend Jesus.
Unfortunately we are not seeing a lot of common sense in this thread.
F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Breathed into the nostrils surely means the body of man was fully created first
Gen 2:7
Then the LORD God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils, and the man became a living being.
In other words like all the animal kingdom we became living breathing creatures - nothing special here!

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words like all the animal kingdom we became living breathing creatures - nothing special here!
Except the human vessel was created in the likeness and image of God for a reason, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

I didn't read God breathed life into animals, is there a verse for that?

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 10:20-21 shows the Rich young ruler had common sense and dropped the word good as to not further offend Jesus.
Unfortunately we are not seeing a lot of common sense in this thread.
F2F
Or maybe calling someone their full name after you meet them is little much. That's common sense today I surely dont call my friends by their full name every time I speak to them.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Except the human vessel was created in the likeness and image of God for a reason, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

I didn't read God breathed life into animals, is there a verse for that?
Only in natural form...appearance and capacity to reason.
Lets not get carried away!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Or maybe calling someone their full name after you meet them is little much. That's common sense today I surely dont call my friends by their full name every time I speak to them.
In relation to what?

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in natural form...appearance and capacity to reason.
Lets not get carried away!
Let's not what do you mean only in natural form, only when the breathed was applied the man became a living being, wasn't alive until then

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Let's not what do you mean only in natural form, only when the breathed was applied the man became a living being, wasn't alive until then
Once formed of the dust of the ground he was then given breath.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He could of dropped it for the reason you said or he could of dropped it because he was having a conversation. I don't think any disciples called him Jesus Christ though might have
This is called "inspiration" and is written this way for your learning Romans 15:4.
It's opening the Word so it can give light.
What do you think it would mean if he called Jesus "good teacher" again?
Yes...disrespect, arrogance and ignorance...the type of responses seen in this thread.