When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” did He mean nobody could be good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The line in the Lord's Prayer "Forgive us our trespasses" indicates we're all not as squeaky clean as we'd like to think..:)
The trinity corrupts the text...people can't see the biblical lessons because they only have eyes for three.

Reactions: Dropship

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Even Jesus knew his human half sometimes let him down-
“Why do you call me good?..No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
At.least you are honest enough to state this even though dual nature is not a biblical teaching.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about we do this: Do all the good we can, for all the people we can, by all the means we can, for as long as we ever can (quoting John Wesley), and stop worrying about our own damn goodness (or lack thereof)?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How about we do this: Do all the good we can, for all the people we can, by all the means we can, for as long as we ever can (quoting John Wesley), and stop worrying about our own damn goodness (or lack thereof)?
:phew: I was worried there was more to it...

Reactions: Lambano

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
At.least you are honest enough to state this even though dual nature is not a biblical teaching.

I dunno what you mean by "dual nature"..:)
Jesus made it clear many times that he wasn't God, e.g.-
"I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28)

Reactions: face2face

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I dunno what you mean by "dual nature"..:)
Jesus made it clear many times that he wasn't God, e.g.-
"I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28)
Well, a rare gem amongst the synthetics. :phew:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” in Mark 10:18, did He mean that nobody could later be good?

Important Note:

I have an answer to this question, but I am merely asking publicly to see what other believers have to say (and not because I don’t have an answer). I am also redirecting this topic from another thread so as not to derail that one.
Hi Highlighter, No Sir, not at all, I think He was He was saying that none is greater than His Father.

But have you read:

Why did Jesus say, 'No one is good but God alone' if He is God?
Mark 10:17-31 records Jesus' interaction with a rich young ruler. The man said to Jesus, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" (Mark 10:17). Jesus started His response with, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Mark 10:18). Was Jesus denying that He is God? Why would He say this if He is God? It is clear from the rest of His conversation with this man that Jesus' response was used to point out the true condition of the man's heart and the reality that Jesus is divine.

Jesus went on to say that to have eternal life, the man had to obey the commandments. The man told Jesus that he had kept all of these commands since childhood. Jesus had slowed the man down before, asking him to think through the implications of "good." Yet the man still seemed to believe himself righteous.

The third statement of Jesus surfaced the hard truth. Jesus told him, "You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me" (Mark 10:21). In response, the man left sadly, unable to give up his possessions to follow Christ. Jesus goes on to explain to His disciples the difficulty those with wealth have in accepting Christ. When we believe all our needs are met—materially or that we are "good" people or that we can follow a law or a formula to gain eternal life—we fail to recognize our need for a Savior and come to Jesus.

This passage as a whole was not about Jesus making some false distinction between Himself and God, but rather about pointing out some of the barriers that keep people from becoming followers of Christ.

The quote "No one is good except God alone" also likely alluded to Psalm 14:3 where it is written, "there is none who does good, not even one." This shows that Jesus used Scripture to answer the man's first question from Psalms as well as from the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20). The man sought to receive eternal life from the Law; Jesus called the man to faith in Himself for salvation.

The apostles would emphasize this contrast between the law and salvation by faith repeatedly in the New Testament. Ephesians 2:8-9 states, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." John 1:17 teaches, "For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

Related Truth:

What is the Trinity?

Love, Walter

Reactions: Daydreamer

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Highlighter,

Good morning Walter.

Grace, peace, and love to you and your family in the name of Jesus Christ.

You said:
No Sir, not at all,

Yes, my defense was that Jesus was not saying that we cannot be good.
I believe Jesus was saying that we cannot be good without God operating in our life.
For God is the source of all true goodness and in our being good.
Jesus said without Him, we can do nothing (John 15:5).

See my post #3 for starters about how I believe we as believers can do good (or be called good) (Which of course is only by the power of Christ and or God).

You said:
I think He was He was saying that none is greater than His Father.

Perhaps. The text really does not say.
But I don’t believe Jesus was denying how He was the second person of the eternal Godhead or Trinity.

You said:
Why did Jesus say, 'No one is good but God alone' if He is God?
Mark 10:17-31 records Jesus' interaction with a rich young ruler. The man said to Jesus, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" (Mark 10:17). Jesus started His response with, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Mark 10:18).
You said:
Was Jesus denying that He is God?
No.

You said:
Why would He say this if He is God?

#1. To let them know they cannot be good without God living in their heart.
#2. To test them to see if they were paying attention to everything He said like when He said, “I am the good shepherd” (John 10:11) and if they knew their own Scriptures. For the Psalmist said, “The LORD is my shepherd;” (Psalms 23:1). Therefore, they would have to eventually conclude that Jesus is the LORD. This makes sense because Jesus said He came down from Heaven (John 6:38). In 1 Corinthians 15:47, it says: “The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.” The LORD is GOD, and Jesus is the LORD from heaven.

You said:
It is clear from the rest of His conversation with this man that Jesus' response was used to point out the true condition of the man's heart and the reality that Jesus is divine.

That’s part of it, but not the whole story.

You said:
Jesus went on to say that to have eternal life, the man had to obey the commandments. The man told Jesus that he had kept all of these commands since childhood. Jesus had slowed the man down before, asking him to think through the implications of "good." Yet the man still seemed to believe himself righteous.

The third statement of Jesus surfaced the hard truth. Jesus told him, "You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me" (Mark 10:21). In response, the man left sadly, unable to give up his possessions to follow Christ. Jesus goes on to explain to His disciples the difficulty those with wealth have in accepting Christ. When we believe all our needs are met—materially or that we are "good" people or that we can follow a law or a formula to gain eternal life—we fail to recognize our need for a Savior and come to Jesus.

The context (if you were to read the rest of the chapter all the way to the end) shows the disciple’s loyalty in that they had eternal life because they forsaken all to follow Jesus. I believe we must also deny ourselves and pick up our cross and follow Jesus, too. For if we seek to save our life, we will lose it, and if we lose our life for Christ’s sake, we will save it.

You said:
This passage as a whole was not about Jesus making some false distinction between Himself and God, but rather about pointing out some of the barriers that keep people from becoming followers of Christ.

The quote "No one is good except God alone" also likely alluded to Psalm 14:3 where it is written, "there is none who does good, not even one." This shows that Jesus used Scripture to answer the man's first question from Psalms as well as from the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20). The man sought to receive eternal life from the Law; Jesus called the man to faith in Himself for salvation.

The apostles would emphasize this contrast between the law and salvation by faith repeatedly in the New Testament. Ephesians 2:8-9 states, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." John 1:17 teaches, "For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

Related Truth:

What is the Trinity?

Love, Walter

No. I don’t see it entirely that way, brother. While we are initially saved by God’s grace without works when we first come to the Lord Jesus for salvation, faith does not remain as a belief alone. Hebrews 11:7 says by faith Noah prepared an ark to the saving of his house. So this also shows that faith is more than just a belief alone. Faith also includes doing what God tells us to do. Romans 3:27 basically says boasting is excluded when it comes to the faith. In other words, there is no boasting if you are simply doing what God tells you to do. This is why the works in Ephesians 2:9 are talking about works that are not a part of the faith. More specifically it would be the works of the Law of Moses (See: Acts 15:1, Galatians 5:2, Romans 3:1, etcetera). But there are many works that God does require of us to do as a part of our faith, though. So we have to rightly divide what works is being spoken of when the Bible talks about works. So it’s not just about having a continued belief in Jesus as our Savior as we do nothing for God to be saved. The just shall live by faith. There are works of faith, and there are works of the Law of Moses. We cannot be justified by the Law of Moses (Acts 13:39). For we are not under the [Old] Law (Romans 6:14). Paul says he is under the Law of Christ (1 Corinthians 9:21).

The rich young ruler was not willing to follow Jesus and forsake his riches and believe Jesus instructions. Thus, he did not believe or want to believe what Jesus said (i.e. faith) because he loved his riches more than he loved God. The greatest commandment is to hear that the Lord our God is one God and to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. This command is a part of the faith. It appears the rich young ruler was not fully obeying this command.

Also read Luke 10:25-28. In that passage Jesus agrees with the lawyer that to love God and to love your neighbor is a part of inheriting eternal life. This again is a part of the faith. We are first saved by God’s grace, but His grace is not a license to sin or do whatever we please. God’s grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12).

Last edited:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we have to rightly divide what works is being spoken of when the Bible talks about works. So it’s not just about having a continued belief in Jesus as our Savior as we do nothing for God to be saved. The just shall live by faith. There are works of faith, and there are works of the Law of Moses. We cannot be justified by the Law of Moses (Acts 13:39). For we are not under the [Old] Law (Romans 6:14). Paul says he is under the Law of Christ (1 Corinthians 9:21).
James Two I had Romans Two instead of James Two

Faith Removes Discrimination

1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

2 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;

3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:

4 Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?

7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?

8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

Faith Proves Itself By Works

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Love, Walter

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James Two I had Romans Two instead of James Two

Faith Removes Discrimination

1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

2 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;

3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:

4 Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?

7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?

8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

Faith Proves Itself By Works

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Love, Walter

It appears we agree.

For clarity of what I believe the Bible teaches:

I see James as talking about what happens in our faith AFTER we are saved by God's grace (in that we are justified by works of faith).
I see Paul as talking about our INITIAL Salvation (Which is by God's grace through faith without works).
Boasting is excluded when it comes to the faith (See: Romans 3:27).

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It appears we agree.

For clarity of what I believe the Bible teaches:

I see James as talking about what happens in our faith AFTER we are saved by God's grace (in that we are justified by works of faith).
I see Paul as talking about our INITIAL Salvation (Which is by God's grace through faith without works).
Boasting is excluded when it comes to the faith (See: Romans 3:27).
Hello Highlighter, I do not agree with your belief that James is talking about because James Two:1-13 is talking about Faith Removes Discrimination, and verses 14-26 are about Faith Proves Itself By Works, especially James Two:17
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Love, Walter

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Highlighter, I do not agree with your belief that James is talking about because James Two:1-13 is talking about Faith Removes Discrimination, and verses 14-26 are about Faith Proves Itself By Works, especially James Two:17
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Love, Walter

I respectfully disagree.
James chapter 1 is still in view of the context of James argument and point he is warming up to making James chapter 2.

James 1:12 says, “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.”

Do you really believe this verse above?

James 1:21 says,
“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.”

Again, do you really believe this verse above in what it plainly says?

I don't see how because your explanation on James 2:1-13 is not what the text actually says.
In the first half of James 2: James was talking to brethren that were giving favor to the rich brethren and not showing favor to the poor brethren. They were having respect of persons. James is saying not to have respect of persons involving the faith that they were living out.
Paul then makes a CONTINUED point to defend how they cannot have respect of persons when he says,
“What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?” (James 2:14).

The second half of James is not making an argument for how faith proves itself by works. That sounds potentially like works are not a part of the faith by such a statement.

James 2:17 says faith without works is dead.
James 2:24 says we are justified by works and not by faith alone.
This makes sense because Hebrews 11:7 says By faith, Noah prepared an ark to the saving of his house.
Works is a part of the faith and they are not separate.
For its why one's faith can be dead if there are no works of faith.
Obeying God's instructions (which can include works) is still a part of the faith.
For faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I respectfully disagree.
James chapter 1 is still in view of the context of James argument and point he is warming up to making James chapter 2.

James 1:12 says, “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.”

Do you really believe this verse above?

James 1:21 says,
“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.”

Again, do you really believe this verse above in what it plainly says?

I don't see how because your explanation on James 2:1-13 is not what the text actually says.
In the first half of James 2: James was talking to brethren that were giving favor to the rich brethren and not showing favor to the poor brethren. They were having respect of persons. James is saying not to have respect of persons involving the faith that they were living out.
Paul then makes a CONTINUED point to defend how they cannot have respect of persons when he says,
“What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?” (James 2:14).

The second half of James is not making an argument for how faith proves itself by works. That sounds potentially like works are not a part of the faith by such a statement.

James 2:17 says faith without works is dead.
James 2:24 says we are justified by works and not by faith alone.
This makes sense because Hebrews 11:7 says By faith, Noah prepared an ark to the saving of his house.
Works is a part of the faith and they are not separate.
For its why one's faith can be dead if there are no works of faith.
Obeying God's instructions (which can include works) is still a part of the faith.
For faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God.
Sir, you see this issue one way, and I see it another, even so, should not our belief be in the Lord Jesus Christ in full obedience?

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was well pleasing to His Father but not perfected until his final obedience.
You have me repeating myself now - he was being made perfect - a process with an end objective.
Perfect through suffering!
If He came here imperfect ie; corrupt. How is it that He can save Himself? How can someone death has a grip on conquer death?;How is it that He can choose to die?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If He came here imperfect ie; corrupt. How is it that He can save Himself? How can someone death has a grip on conquer death?;How is it that He can choose to die?
"Being perfected" is not perfect until the process of perfecting is complete. In choosing to die his perfection was revealed...until that death took place sin could have taken occasion in him at any time!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” in Mark 10:18, did He mean that nobody could later be good?

Important Note:

I have an answer to this question, but I am merely asking publicly to see what other believers have to say (and not because I don’t have an answer). I am also redirecting this topic from another thread so as not to derail that one.

When Jesus asked, why do you call me good?” Jesus replies. “Nobody is good except one, God.” Likely the young man used “good” as a formalistic title, which is what the rabbis do. Although Jesus is good at teaching, he lets the man know that as a title, “Good” belongs only to God.
Jesus recognized not himself but his Father to be the standard of goodness.

So the man of Jesus day was using the words “Good Teacher” as a flattering title. Jesus modestly directed such glory to his heavenly Father, who is good in the supreme sense. (Proverbs 11:2) But Jesus was also affirming a profound truth. YHWH God alone is the standard for what is good. Only he has the sovereign right to determine what is good and what is bad. Adam and Eve, by rebelliously partaking of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, sought to assume that right themselves. Unlike them, Jesus humbly leaves the setting of such standards to his Father.
Jesus knew that YHWH God is the Source of all that is truly good. He is the Giver of “every good gift and every perfect present.” (James 1:17)

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus asked, why do you call me good?” Jesus replies. “Nobody is good except one, God.” Likely the young man used “good” as a formalistic title, which is what the rabbis do. Although Jesus is good at teaching, he lets the man know that as a title, “Good” belongs only to God.
Jesus recognized not himself but his Father to be the standard of goodness.

So the man of Jesus day was using the words “Good Teacher” as a flattering title. Jesus modestly directed such glory to his heavenly Father, who is good in the supreme sense. (Proverbs 11:2) But Jesus was also affirming a profound truth. YHWH God alone is the standard for what is good. Only he has the sovereign right to determine what is good and what is bad. Adam and Eve, by rebelliously partaking of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, sought to assume that right themselves. Unlike them, Jesus humbly leaves the setting of such standards to his Father.
Jesus knew that YHWH God is the Source of all that is truly good. He is the Giver of “every good gift and every perfect present.” (James 1:17)

There is no debate that Jesus is GOD. Thomas said of Jesus, “My Lord and my God.” (John 20:28). 1 John 5:20 says of Jesus Christ, “This is the true God, and eternal life.” (1 John 5:20). Isaiah 43:11 basically says there is no Savior next to Him, and yet Jesus sat down at the right hand of God the Father (Hebrews 10:12). This only makes sense if the Godhead (Trinity) is true and it is according to Scripture (1 John 5:7 KJB). The Word is God (John 1:1), and the Word was made flesh (John 1:14). God was manifest in the flesh (1 Timothy 3:16). Jesus is called the Good Shepherd.

Anyways, the truth of the deity of Jesus Christ is not the point of the question I asked within this thread. The question asked was whether a person can be called good in light of Jesus’ statement. I say… “Yes” They can be called good because it is God working in them (Philippians 2:13). As I already demonstrated in this thread, I shown biblically that others were called good. So there is no point in bringing up what the rabbi’s believed. Their beliefs have zero contribution to what God says in His Holy Word. We believe the Bible and we don’t believe any rabbis extra biblical nonsense. The Bible is our authority and not the traditions of men. Faith does not come by hearing the words of rabbi’s (in the plural sense) but faith comes by hearing the Word of God (See: Romans 10:17).

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no debate that Jesus is GOD. Thomas said of Jesus, “My Lord and my God.” (John 20:28). 1 John 5:20 says of Jesus Christ, “This is the true God, and eternal life.” (1 John 5:20). Isaiah 43:11 basically says there is no Savior next to Him, and yet Jesus sat down at the right hand of God the Father (Hebrews 10:12). This only makes sense if the Godhead (Trinity) is true and it is according to Scripture (1 John 5:7 KJB). The Word is God (John 1:1), and the Word was made flesh (John 1:14). God was manifest in the flesh (1 Timothy 3:16). Jesus is called the Good Shepherd.

Anyways, the truth of the deity of Jesus Christ is not the point of the question I asked within this thread. The question asked was whether a person can be called good in light of Jesus’ statement. I say… “Yes” They can be called good because it is God working in them (Philippians 2:13). As I already demonstrated in this thread, I shown biblically that others were called good. So there is no point in bringing up what the rabbi’s believed. Their beliefs have zero contribution to what God says in His Holy Word. We believe the Bible and we don’t believe any rabbis extra biblical nonsense. The Bible is our authority and not the traditions of men. Faith does not come by hearing the words of rabbi’s (in the plural sense) but faith comes by hearing the Word of God (See: Romans 10:17).

Yeah I understand that you believe Jesus to be a liar when he said at John 20:17 that he had a Father and God that was his apostles and disciples Father and God. Thomas knew what Jesus said at John 20:17 so Thomas wasn't calling Jesus a liar when he stated to Jesus at John 20:28 "My lord and My God." Thomas knew that the Father and God of Jesus was his Father and God too, just as Jesus said.

1John 5:7 has been proven to be added to the Bible which is why most modern Bibles have not included them in their Bibles. Whether you choose to believe that doesn't mean anything to me. Like I said 1John 5:7 has been proven to be an addition.

I'm not going to ignore and contradict the first part of John 1:1 that says the Word was with God. You want to ignore and contradict the first part of John 1:1, I'm not. So scripture at John 1:1 is saying the Word who is the only begotten Son of God was with the True God. The True God is YHWH, he is the Father and God of the only begotten Son of God Jesus Christ.

I also know that people think 1John 5:20 says that Jesus is God but it doesn't. Those who believe this contradict what John 17:3 and John 20:17 say. I'm not going to contradict John 17:3 and John 20:17.

The point I'm saying is that Jesus Christ saying the only one who is good is his Father and God YHWH is true. Jesus didn't accept titles like that and he taught his apostles and disciples to follow his example.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah I understand that you believe Jesus to be a liar when he said at John 20:17 that he had a Father and God that was his apostles and disciples Father and God. Thomas knew what Jesus said at John 20:17 so Thomas wasn't calling Jesus a liar when he stated to Jesus at John 20:28 "My lord and My God." Thomas knew that the Father and God of Jesus was his Father and God too, just as Jesus said.

You can make false accusations all you like. John 1:1 makes it clear that…

#1. The Word was God.
#2. The Word was WITH God.

John 1:14 says the Word (God) was made flesh.

1 Timothy 3:16 confirms this truth in that God was manifest in the flesh.

You said:
1John 5:7 has been proven to be added to the Bible which is why most modern Bibles have not included them in their Bibles. Whether you choose to believe that doesn't mean anything to me. Like I said 1John 5:7 has been proven to be an addition.

How convenient. When a doctrine you don’t like appears in a verse, you can just say it was not really in the Bible by believing others who just so happen to believe as you do (or who do not believe any Bible on the planet is the perfect words of God). Actually, many doctrines were changed for the worse and not for the better in Modern Bibles. Westcott and Hort who were into Catholicism and the occult were the founders of the current Modern Translation movement we have now. Then the Vatican got involved themselves to change your Modern bibles even more (ever so subtly). Only the faithful KJB has kept 1 John 5:7 in the Bible. Of course even some KJB Only proponents have found a way to deny the Godhead (Trinity), too. So this really is not helpful for you.

You said:
I'm not going to ignore and contradict the first part of John 1:1 that says the Word was with God. You want to ignore and contradict the first part of John 1:1, I'm not. So scripture at John 1:1 is saying the Word who is the only begotten Son of God was with the True God. The True God is YHWH, he is the Father and God of the only begotten Son of God Jesus Christ.

No, no. Read John 1:1 again. It says the Word WAS God. The Word was WITH God.

You said:
I also know that people think 1John 5:20 says that Jesus is God but it doesn't.

Any child like reading of 1 John 5:20 will lead a person to conclude that Jesus is the true God just as it says.

You said:
Those who believe this contradict what John 17:3 and John 20:17 say. I'm not going to contradict John 17:3 and John 20:17.

You have to understand that the Godhead (Trinity) is monotheism (i.e. a belief in one God) and it is not Tritheism (a belief in three separate gods).

John 17:3, and John 20:17 are referring to God the Father (Who is one God and yet He is triune). So when we speak of a certain person of the Trinity, we are talking about how they are all one God (1 John 5:7 KJB).