When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” did He mean nobody could be good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” in Mark 10:18, did He mean that nobody could later be good?

Important Note:

I have an answer to this question, but I am merely asking publicly to see what other believers have to say (and not because I don’t have an answer). I am also redirecting this topic from another thread so as not to derail that one.

Reactions: amadeus and Wynona

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
of course it is God who works in me both to will and to do His good pleasure.
but in this post you didn't address either of the two things i asked you to consider:

• is anyone good except God?
  • why is your body dying?

I'm sorry, are these hard questions?

@1stCenturyLady?
@Bible Highlighter?

They seem very straightforward and obvious to me.
They seem like they have clear, undeniable answers in scripture.

They seem to me to utterly destroy the 19th century "church of the Nazarene" sinless perfection error.

Is that perhaps why neither of you will answer them?

I will be busy again for the rest of the week. A pity we couldn't have a mature, honest conversation this weekend. I hope, sometime soon.

The problem is that you need to address the whole counsel of God’s Word instead of you just looking at isolated verses out of context to the rest of the Bible. Take 1 Peter 4:1-2, Galatians 5:24, and 2 Corinthians 7:1. How do they fit into your belief system on this issue or point? In post #841 (in the other thread), you really did not explain those verses in what they mean and how they align with your belief. You just said, Amen. But I don’t think you truly understood what those verses I posted had to say in post #841. The idea I tried to convey with those verses to refute the popular thinking today that a believer can sin and still be saved on some level because they have a belief alone in Jesus as their Savior. For you appear to take the viewpoint that if you believe in Jesus as your Savior, then He takes away all your future sin and no sin can be charged to your account.

No offense, but this is why I believe you have latched on to a false interpretation of Romans 7:14-24, and Mark 10:18.

You said I did not answer your questions. I did.
I answered with Scripture. But if you need me to spell it out for you more, when we abide in God and He does the good work through us, He can make us to live good and do good. Therefore, we can be good (or do good) because of God living in us doing the good work. That is what I believe Jesus is saying in Mark 10:18. He is basically saying nobody is good and or can do good (on their own) without God in their lives. Jesus is not saying that nobody else can be good (or do good) even if He abides in them doing the good work. Jesus is referring to those doing good or being good without God living in them. You are simply misreading this text to justify that nobody can be good, when that is not what Jesus is saying.

For example: Non-Trinitarians or those who deny Jesus is God also misread Mark 10:18 to think that Jesus was implying He was not God because Jesus also says in this verse, “Why callest thou me good?”. One can draw this wrong conclusion but it simply is not true when we look at the whole counsel of God’s Word in that Jesus is God (John 1:1) (John 1:14) (1 Timothy 3:16).

Anyways, I will attempt to provide other verses in my next post to you in my defense as to why I believe Jesus is referring to how nobody can be good without God and He is not saying nobody can be good ever (even if God was to work within them). For when God is the source of one being good or doing good, then Jesus would not be in contradiction of Him saying that nobody (WITHOUT GOD in their life) can be good.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@post

If Jesus was saying nobody else could be good (even if God works in them), then how do you explain these verses?

Matthew 5:45
“That ye may be the children of your Father which is in Heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.”

Matthew 7:18-20
“A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.”

Matthew 12:33
“Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.”

Matthew 12:35
“A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.”

Matthew 25:21
“His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.”

Luke 8:15
“But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.”

Luke 23:50 (NKJV)
“Now behold, there was a man named Joseph, a council member, a good and just man.”

John 5:29
“And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.”

Acts of the Apostles 11:22-24
“Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch. Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord. For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.”

Titus 1:7-8
“For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;”

Titus 2:4-5
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.”

(To be continued in my next post to you).

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He meant that (a) no human being was "good" since all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and (b) only God is good, and (c) only God as Jesus can be called "good".

Romans 3 is referring to how nobody is perfect their entire lives in the fact that even believers have sinned as a part of their old lives before coming to Christ. Paul says in Ephesians 2:2 of how we formerly walked according to the course of this world and the prince of the power of the air. Paul does not say that we currently remain that way in Ephesians 2. Paul says shall we continue in sin so that grace may abound? Paul’s answer to that question is God forbid (See: Romans 6:1-2). Galatians 5:24 says they that are Christ’s have crucified the affections and lusts.

In Romans 3: Paul is not referring to the present tense walk of the faithful believer in Jesus Christ (But only their past life and how everyone who sins needs God’s grace to wipe out their past slate of sin). He is referring to how one (both Jew and Gentile) needs to first be saved by God’s grace initially. This has to be the interpretative viewpoint because if you take the view that Paul is talking also about how we as believers are sinners in the present tense in Romans 3:10, Romans 3:12, and Romans 3:23, then you must also apply Romans 3:11 to the present tense life of the believer, as well. Lets read it.

Romans 3:11 says,
“There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.”

Okay. So if you believe you as a believer right now have fallen short of the glory of God according to Romans 3, then you must also believe Romans 3:11 applies to you, as well. you must believe you have no understanding and you do not seek after God. If so, then you are not qualified to offer any teaching here.

But surely you will not admit that.
So you pick and choose what verses you want to apply to you.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@post

Jesus said in John 15:5, you can do nothing without me.
Jesus is GOD. So nobody can do good without GOD or Jesus.
This means GOD alone is good. But if a person plugs into GOD, they can do good but by the power of GOD working in them.
Meaning, God gets the ultimate credit. But the person still can be good if they allow GOD to move through their life.
Thus, we must take Mark 10:18 to mean that Jesus is referring to how nobody can truly be good without GOD in their life (Which is true).
For a man by himself without GOD cannot be truly good or do good.
For Jesus says you can do nothing without me.

There is none that is good, but God.
It would be like saying: There is no man that can fly, but by airplane or by some aided device to help him fly.
It would be like saying: No man can light up a room, but only other light sources can like the sun, or light bulbs, etcetera. But if man carries a flash light strapped to his arm, he can light up the room. But on his own power…. Man cannot light up the room.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So you pick and choose what verses you want to apply to you.
That is totally false. Verses applicable to the saved cannot be indiscriminately applied to the unsaved or vice versa. It is because all have sinned and come short of the glory of God that God -- in His grace and mercy -- imputes the righteousness of Christ to the one who repents and believes on Him. Thus every child of God is deemed to be as righteous as Christ. But only Christ can be called "good" or "righteous" since He is sinless and perfect. He is the God-Man Christ Jesus.

Reactions: mailmandan

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@post

If Jesus was saying nobody else could be good (even if God works in them), then how do you explain these verses or passages?

“And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.” (Revelation 14:3-5).

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48).

“Be ye holy as I am holy” (1 Peter 1:16 cf. Leviticus 11:45).

Note: While I do agree there is an imputed righteousness, is God holy because of imputed righteousness? No. Yet, we are told to be holy as He is.​

"sin no more." (John 5:14) (John 8:11).

Note: Why would Jesus tell people to do the impossible?
That would be like telling them to fly off of a cliff by flapping their arms.
It also suggests that if a person can sin no more, then they would be good from the present on afterwards.​

“And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” (Galatians 5:24).

Note: Are not those who crucify the affections and lusts being good in moral behavior?​

Peter says, “there are false prophets... who cannot cease from sin.” (2 Peter 2:1, 2 Peter 2:14). This is similar to those who are lovers of pleasure more than they are lovers of GOD (1 Timothy 3:1-9). For he that says he knows him and does not keep his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in Him (1 John 2:4).

John says he that does righteousness is righteous in 1 John 3:7.
John says in 1 John 3:8 that he that commits sin is of the devil.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is totally false. Verses applicable to the saved cannot be indiscriminately applied to the unsaved or vice versa. It is because all have sinned and come short of the glory of God that God -- in His grace and mercy -- imputes the righteousness of Christ to the one who repents and believes on Him. Thus every child of God is deemed to be as righteous as Christ. But only Christ can be called "good" or "righteous" since He is sinless and perfect. He is the God-Man Christ Jesus.

Again, you are misapplying Romans 3. if you read Romans 3:10, Romans 3:12, and Romans 3:23 as referring to you as a believer right now, then why are you not applying Romans 3:11 to your life right now, too? This is why you are misreading the text. You cannot cherry pick verses you want to believe in. If Romans 3 says what it does in that you believe you have fallen short of God’s glory in the here and now, then you must also apply verse 11 in that you have no understanding and you do not seek after God, too.

That’s why your interpretation on Romans 3 is false.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You also fail to understand that Jesus is the One who can help us to overcome sin.

Romans 13:14 says,
“But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.”

1 John 3:3
“And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.”

What is this purification supposed to be like?

2 Corinthians 7:1 says,
“…let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.”

It says let us cleanse ourselves from ALL filthiness of the flesh and spirit…. Perfecting holiness in the FEAR of God.

But again…. You guys don’t believe that.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” in Mark 10:18, did He mean that nobody could later be good?

Important Note:

I have an answer to this question, but I am merely asking publicly to see what other believers have to say (and not because I don’t have an answer). I am also redirecting this topic from another thread so as not to derail that one.

No! Jesus who said that was the greatest man who ever lived. He was not only good, but reflected God in every single thing he did. If Jehovah personally came, He would have done it the same way Jesus did. He was the only human in history to ever live his entire life without once sinning. Impossible for the rest of us. So what was meant? Jehovah God is good in the absolute and consummate sense. The Scriptures say: “Good and upright is Jehovah” (Ps 25:8), and they exclaim: “O how great his goodness is!” (Zec 9:17) Jesus Christ, though he had this quality of moral excellence, would not accept “Good” as a title, saying to one who addressed him as “Good Teacher”: “Why do you call me good? Nobody is good, except one, God.” (Mr 10:17, 18) He thus recognized Jehovah as the ultimate standard of what is good.

That is why we Christians do not accept flattering reverent titles rather we call those of our spiritual family brothers and sisters.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No! Jesus who said that was the greatest man who ever lived. He was not only good, but reflected God in every single thing he did. If Jehovah personally came, He would have done it the same way Jesus did. He was the only human in history to ever live his entire life without once sinning. Impossible for the rest of us. So what was meant? Jehovah God is good in the absolute and consummate sense. The Scriptures say: “Good and upright is Jehovah” (Ps 25:8), and they exclaim: “O how great his goodness is!” (Zec 9:17) Jesus Christ, though he had this quality of moral excellence, would not accept “Good” as a title, saying to one who addressed him as “Good Teacher”: “Why do you call me good? Nobody is good, except one, God.” (Mr 10:17, 18) He thus recognized Jehovah as the ultimate standard of what is good.

That is why we Christians do not accept flattering reverent titles rather we call those of our spiritual family brothers and sisters.

Look. This is not really the major point or topic of the thread. I only brought it up as a brief example. I am not going to derail my own thread. This is also not a thread for JW’s. But it is a thread for Bible Alone Christians. Please start a JW thread and talk with other JW’s there please. I am not interested in debating or talking with JW’s at this time (Especially in my own thread that is for Bible Alone Christians). In other words, if I start a thread and I am not addressing JW’s, then please do not reply. If I am talking in another thread, and I am not addressing JW’s then please do not reply. I say this because JW’s were not allowed to talk in the Christian section of another forum I was at. I have no interest with talking with you unless God leads me that day to want to say something to the JW organization. Currently, I have no interest in talking with JW’s. No offense, but I don’t consider you guys to be even remotely Christian. Again, no offense. I love you in the name of Jesus, but I don’t feel I am the one who is called to try and reach you to come out of your false religion.

Thank you.

Side Note:

Oh, and you also should say that you are JW as your faith (in each of your posts), and not a Christian so as not to deceive others here on the forum. Many Christians feel that JW’s are not truly Christian. So be upfront and honest with who you really are at all times. If you are JW, then declare that nonsense openly. If you are ashamed of being JW, then you are in the wrong religion.

Anyways, I exposed the false JW religion in the following thread link below (so that others will not be deceived by you).

Reasons why the Jehovah’s Witness religion is evil (Despite my love for them as human beings)

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look. This is not really the major point or topic of the thread. I only brought it up as a brief example. I am not going to derail my own thread. This is also not a thread for JW’s. But it is a thread for Bible Alone Christians. Please start a JW thread and talk with other JW’s there please. I am not interested in debating or talking with JW’s at this time (Especially in my own thread that is for Bible Alone Christians). In other words, if I start a thread and I am not addressing JW’s, then please do not reply. If I am talking in another thread, and I am not addressing JW’s then please do not reply. I say this because JW’s were not allowed to talk in the Christian section of another forum I was at. I have no interest with talking with you unless God leads me that day to want to say something to the JW organization. Currently, I have no interest in talking with JW’s. No offense, but I don’t consider you guys to be even remotely Christian. Again, no offense. I love you in the name of Jesus, but I don’t feel I am the one who is called to try and reach you to come out of your false religion.

Thank you.

Side Note:

Oh, and you also should say that you are JW as your faith (in each of your posts), and not a Christian so as not to deceive others here on the forum. Many Christians feel that JW’s are not truly Christian. So be upfront and honest with who you really are at all times. If you are JW, then declare that nonsense openly. If you are ashamed of being JW, then you are in the wrong religion.

I understand that many "christian" sites do not allow Christians to speak, in fact that is what I appreciate about this site, they are not opposed to us Christians. I understand your rejection of Jehovah and His people, but on the same token, you chose to post here, which opens it up to all who post here sir. The Bible is the key, and the main way one comes to know God, but for salvation there is requirements, and it is imperative that others know what God wants from us. Christians obviously worship the same God that Jesus did, otherwise they wouldn't be his true followers, correct?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand that many "christian" sites do not allow Christians to speak, in fact that is what I appreciate about this site, they are not opposed to us Christians.

You are not a Christian. You are a JW. You reject foundational teachings of the Bible and you follow a man named Charles Taze Russell. He is a false prophet because he rejects foundational teachings in the Bible. I will not accept your posting in my threads or have any discussion with you on any biblical topic. You are not qualified because you reject the Bible Alone as your spiritual authority. You also accept the writings of Charles Taze Russel and the JW church as equally authoritative. I am not associating with you because you are not a true Christian.

You said:
I understand your rejection of Jehovah and His people,

This is a false accusation. I don’t have a problem with the word Jehovah that is in the King James Bible, and or the real people of God. I accept Jehovah in the Bible. I have a problem with JW’s. There is a difference.

You said:
but on the same token, you chose to post here, which opens it up to all who post here sir. The Bible is the key, and the main way one comes to know God, but for salvation there is requirements, and it is imperative that others know what God wants from us. Christians obviously worship the same God that Jesus did, otherwise they wouldn't be his true followers, correct?

No. You don’t just believe the Bible alone because you are JW. People like you have to also accept the JW writings or the false teachings of your false church in order to truly be saved. You guys believe you are the only ones who will be saved even according to this JW article.

Watchtower quotes that only Jehovah's Witnesses will be Saved
(Note to the reader: I do not endorse this website or article; I merely post it to show the falseness of the JW religion).

Please again. Your responses to me or in my thread will keep getting this kind of response. You are not welcome to reply to me on any biblical topic. So stop and respect people. Do you break into people’s homes and tell them about your JW nonsense against their will? Then don’t do it with me. I will keep fighting you if you keep replying. I will even expose your false religion and refer to a specific thread on the false evil ways of JW’s if you keep it up. I will make it my mission to destroy your religion back where it came from (i.e. the pits of hell) if you keep it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: post

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Important Note:

No. When we put on the righteousness of Christ and walked as He walked, though we may have once walked in sin, we become good.

Reactions: Bible Highlighter

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not a Christian. You are a JW. You reject foundational teachings of the Bible and you follow a man named Charles Taze Russell. He is a false prophet because he rejects foundational teachings in the Bible. I will not accept your posting in my threads or have any discussion with you on any biblical topic. You are not qualified because you reject the Bible Alone as your spiritual authority. You also accept the writings of Charles Taze Russel and the JW church as equally authoritative. I am not associating with you because you are not a true Christian.

This is a false accusation. I don’t have a problem with the word Jehovah that is in the King James Bible, and or the real people of God. I accept Jehovah in the Bible. I have a problem with JW’s. There is a difference.

No. You don’t just believe the Bible alone because you are JW. People like you have to also accept the JW writings or the false teachings of your false church in order to truly be saved. You guys believe you are the only ones who will be saved even according to this JW article.

(Note to the reader: I do not endorse this website or article; I merely post it to show the falseness of the JW religion).

Please again. Your responses to me or in my thread will keep getting this kind of response. You are not welcome to reply to me on any biblical topic. So stop and respect people. Do you break into people’s homes and tell them about your JW nonsense against their will? Then don’t do it with me. I will keep fighting you if you keep replying. I will even expose your false religion and refer to a specific thread on the false evil ways of JW’s if you keep it up. I will make it my mission to destroy your religion back where it came from (i.e. the pits of hell) if you keep it up.

Great, we are making headway sir, since you have accepted God's name, but you have a problem with the sect called Jehovah's witnesses, then let's address that issue.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

to be clear, "Jehovah" as 99% of English-speakers read it is not correct.
this comes from early German translations of the OT -- in Hebrew the Tetragrammaton is יהוה‎ -- or, Yod-He-Wah-He
these are consonants -- Hebrew is typically written without vowels, and those vowels are assumed by native readers, or inferred by translators. into English, and also phonetically, this translates directly like YHWH.
in the German language, the consonant 'J' is spoken with the sound of English "Y" and the consonant 'V' is spoken similarly to the English "W" .. "H" is spoken the same in both languages - so in German, JHVH -- but this is not pronounced the way the English language speaks these letters.

so when early German manuscripts came across יהוה‎ they guessed at the vowels, {e,o,a} and phonetically transliterated the Hebrew letters into Germanic ones: hence, YHWH was written as JeHoVaH
in English this reading is absolutely butchered because we don't realize how German is pronounced.

in short, JW's for all their name-worship don't even pronounce the name of their own cult right.
this should be pronounced "Yeh-Ho-WaH" not 'jay-ho-vaa'

just an aside.
i find this fact hilarious =]

Last edited:

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

bravo

the scripture tells us to mark those who teach falsely, and not to abide by them or invite them into our houses.
unlike the contemporary view that serving God equals showing 'niceness' to all
i have little interest in being 'polite' at the expense of doctrine. we are on a theological discussion board, and if we live what we believe, i believe we really have no other choice but to rebuke strongly those that oppose the fundamental tenets of the gospel

you and i may have disagreements but they aren't serious ones -- with these JW's however we have no fellowship. their core beliefs deny Christ.

=]