When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” did He mean nobody could be good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah, then it's evident:
you are so blinded by your kjv-ian-ism, that you cannot even understand what i am saying.
you imagine i am attacking your idol, when in fact i am simply presenting the truth about how to pronounce a German word.
much like how in the other thread, that because i said i have put all my trust in God, you couldn't understand it and joined with others immediately accusing me of loving sin and refusing to obey.

i see.

no point in talking any more then.

You are not even looking at any of my arguments or points in defense for the KJB. No offense, I love you in Christ, but that sounds like you have a preference for Modernism, my friend. I believe God’s Word is perfect because of my faith in what the Bible says itself.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wanna talk about Eostare next?

know where that word first appears historically?
are you knowledgeable about its etymology?

=]

or maybe "farthing" ??
have you ever looked into the actual going price for two sparrows?

or should we just magnify Christ, instead of ourselves, and instead of translations?
maybe quit "arguing over words" and glorify God, which is our purpose in existing?

see where i'm going with this?

Is the KJV wrong for rendering "Pascha" as the English word "Easter" in Acts of the Apostles 12:4?

No. Although "Pascha" was originally a Hebrew word ("פּסח (pesach)"), Greek, being the language of a predominantly Christian nation, had appropriated the Jewish word and gave it the Christian meaning of "Easter". That is why in modern Greek, the primary meaning of "Πάσχα" is Easter and Passover is actually the secondary meaning when "Πάσχα" is qualified as the "εβραϊκό Πάσχα (Hebrew Pascha)" or the "Πάσχα των ιουδαίων (Pascha of the Jews)". Many other languages of Christendom are like modern Greek in making Easter the primary meaning of the transliteration of "Pascha":

VEvybs_Q_d.jpg

See the entire article here:
“Easter” or “Passover” in Acts 12:4? - King James Version Today

Also, see this article here:
https://brandplucked.webs.com/easter.htm

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” in Mark 10:18, did He mean that nobody could later be good?

Important Note:

I have an answer to this question, but I am merely asking publicly to see what other believers have to say (and not because I don’t have an answer). I am also redirecting this topic from another thread so as not to derail that one.
No...as He also said, "you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:48

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” did He mean nobody could be good?
OP^

No.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus The Christ is the LORD God Almighty Himself manifest in the flesh - the One Who was pierced, by Whose own blood purchased His church. THE Shepherd and only Savior.
He bodily died, was bodily entombed, bodily rose, bodily ascended and will bodily come again. The same from the beginning, the Alpha & Omega, the Aleph-Tov, the I AM.

"resurrection" is not "recreation" -- it's "resurrection" and it connotes our persistent soul being reconnected with our very own bodies having themselves been transformed.

Not a Bible teaching sir, are you able to state who the God of Jesus is? Jn 20:17

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a Bible teaching sir, are you able to state who the God of Jesus is? Jn 20:17

This is not the topic of the thread. The topic of the thread is about whether one can be good. But as I said before, you are not welcome in my threads or in discussing Bible related topics with me because you are a JW and not a Christian (Despite your false claim that you are one). Start your own JW thread on this off topic discussion if you want to deny the normal every day Bible that existed for hundreds of years (and not your own altered JW Bible version that conveniently just happens to fit your religion).

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the KJV wrong for rendering "Pascha" as the English word "Easter" in Acts of the Apostles 12:4?

No. Although "Pascha" was originally a Hebrew word ("פּסח (pesach)"), Greek, being the language of a predominantly Christian nation, had appropriated the Jewish word and gave it the Christian meaning of "Easter". That is why in modern Greek, the primary meaning of "Πάσχα" is Easter and Passover is actually the secondary meaning when "Πάσχα" is qualified as the "εβραϊκό Πάσχα (Hebrew Pascha)" or the "Πάσχα των ιουδαίων (Pascha of the Jews)". Many other languages of Christendom are like modern Greek in making Easter the primary meaning of the transliteration of "Pascha":

VEvybs_Q_d.jpg

See the entire article here:
“Easter” or “Passover” in Acts 12:4? - King James Version Today

Also, see this article here:
Another King James Bible Believer

That's incredibly incorrect.

Pascha is PASSOVER.

The word Eostare comes from Eos ((teutonic dawn goddess)) and first appeared in translation in early high German manuscripts during a period where in that area all things Jewish were being persecuted and removed fom organized Christianity. It made its way into Tyndale et al and from thence into kjv, who, for the most part simply copy-pasted existing work.

These early translations went even so far as replacing the word Pascha with Ishtar even in Exodus - I guess thank God the kjv only kept in it one place? But it's a clear, incontrovertible mistake your religion of translation worship makes you bend over backwards to try to justify.

Suffice to say, here again your particular idolatrous vice has proven my original point in the thread you tried to divorce this topic from: buddy you ain't perfect. You got problems. We can all see.it.

Therefore just as it was made manifest that @1stCenturyLady is still a sinner even though she boasted in herself, you yourself are too. Y'all are no good, just like me. Just like every human.

QED I was correct in my original assertion, which you sought to hide by taking the conversation out of its original context into two new threads. Under the premise that it weren't right to go off topic - yet here you are wanting to preach kjv-ism instead of Christ, wholly dissociated from this faux-threads own supposed topic. Oh the irony. Oh the duplicity.

Truth will out, bro.

End of story, IMO
Salvation is the mercy of God, not your vain efforts or will. It is His good pleasure that it be this way.

Last edited:

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Previously stated. Jesus Christ is THE SHEPHERD of Israel, to wit, YHWH Himself hidden in flesh and revealed to those who believe Him but hidden from those who reject him. ((examine yourself))

see Isaiah 43:11
Is Jesus Christ our Savior?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If I were to ask, what happens to a boat and its crew when, after sailing to the horizon, it drops off the edge?.... I indicate that my paradigm ie, how I see is skewed/faulty
This analogy is the akin to the situation Jesus faced. His culture, including his disciples, had a skewed view of the role of the Messiah (the whole enchilada) and subsequently their questions during his sojourn with them were largely misappropriated as were the answers Jesus offered them.

We today face a similar situation. We ask questions from a faulty paradigm.....we interpret from a faulty paradigm. When our paradigms are threatened, defence is the response. We have effectively set our paradigms as sacrosanct.

In this situation, how is it possible to come to the conclusions God intended?

Last edited:

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Contentiousness for it's own sake, is the mark of babes in Christ.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not the topic of the thread. The topic of the thread is about whether one can be good. But as I said before, you are not welcome in my threads or in discussing Bible related topics with me because you are a JW and not a Christian (Despite your false claim that you are one). Start your own JW thread on this off topic discussion if you want to deny the normal every day Bible that existed for hundreds of years (and not your own altered JW Bible version that conveniently just happens to fit your religion).

Wasn't speaking to you BH, that was directed to Post as you can see. And it certainly was in line with his statement.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Previously stated. Jesus Christ is THE SHEPHERD of Israel, to wit, YHWH Himself hidden in flesh and revealed to those who believe Him but hidden from those who reject him. ((examine yourself))

see Isaiah 43:11
Is Jesus Christ our Savior?

That title is applied to both Jehovah and Jesus sir. Jehovah resided in heaven while Jesus was on earth, and even spoke from heaven at Jesus' baptism. If you cannot believe Him sir, there is of course nothing I can say.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” in Mark 10:18, did He mean that nobody could later be good?
And/or were none good previously?

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." Gen 1:31

Were men included in "every thing...made...very good"?

If they were, then what happened to them?

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Gen 2:17

"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat." Gen 3:6

It would appear that those who are dead are not good. Who is born dead? If everyone man born of woman is dead then did not God provide a Way back to Life and thereby also to being "good"?

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." John 10:10-11

And then...

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

And then does, "like him" mean "good" like him, "good" like God?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And/or were none good previously?

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." Gen 1:31

Were men included in "every thing...made...very good"?

If they were, then what happened to them?

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Gen 2:17

"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat." Gen 3:6

It would appear that those who are dead are not good. Who is born dead? If everyone man born of woman is dead then did not God provide a Way back to Life and thereby also to being "good"?

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." John 10:10-11

And then...

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

And then does, "like him" mean "good" like him, "good" like God?

Thank you for the likes and your contribution. Perpetual Belief Alone Salvationism tends to many times justify sin under God’s grace unfortunately. They don’t like to deal with those verses that refute their wrong theology. I love them in Jesus, but I just don’t like their belief. It’s wrong on many levels. Even those who may give the same answer I would on this question (like answering, “no”) actually believe that God’s grace is a license to sin in some way (or on some level) (Which violates Jude 1:4). Granted, some of them are clever and they will not openly admit that they sin or justify sin. But that is the logical conclusion of their belief when they say dumb things like how they cannot sin because Jesus saved them in the past because of their belief alone on Jesus Christ as their Savior. Even two who appear to be for holy living and reject OSAS and they reject Perpetual Belief Alone Salvationism also appear to be cold and unloving by their hurtful words. We truly are living in the last days.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That title is applied to both Jehovah and Jesus sir. Jehovah resided in heaven while Jesus was on earth, and even spoke from heaven at Jesus' baptism. If you cannot believe Him sir, there is of course nothing I can say.

Isaiah 43:11
I, [even] I, [am] the LORD,
and besides Me [there is] no Savior.

He says there is only one Savior, He Himself
perhaps you should believe Him

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Important Note:

I have an answer to this question, but I am merely asking publicly to see what other believers have to say (and not because I don’t have an answer). I am also redirecting this topic from another thread so as not to derail that one.
I think the point here in Jesus' statement was that only God is good. God has taught us what good is and we can do as we are taught to emulate good. And God's spirit is good and within us he is prompting us to behave good. But I'm not sure that means we are good. We can be cleansed of our sins and be innocent as Adam and Eve were innocent before the fall. But were they good? Perhaps not because they fell anyways by choice.

And the fact that we will always need God's spirit to be good indicates that we are innocent and capable of good or evil, when guided by God or the devil.

Hope that helps.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the likes and your contribution. Perpetual Belief Alone Salvationism tends to many times justify sin under God’s grace unfortunately. They don’t like to deal with those verses that refute their wrong theology. I love them in Jesus, but I just don’t like their belief. It’s wrong on many levels. Even those who may give the same answer I would on this question (like answering, “no”) actually believe that God’s grace is a license to sin in some way (or on some level) (Which violates Jude 1:4). Granted, some of them are clever and they will not openly admit that they sin or justify sin. But that is the logical conclusion of their belief when they say dumb things like how they cannot sin because Jesus saved them in the past because of their belief alone on Jesus Christ as their Savior. Even two who appear to be for holy living and reject OSAS and they reject Perpetual Belief Alone Salvationism also appear to be cold and unloving by their hurtful words. We truly are living in the last days.
Too many people want all of the blessings God has offered while being unable and unwilling to surrender all of their own ways and walking in His Way. They want to be their own head and have thereby constructed a body according to their own specifications.

"...nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

In their blindness they move toward or deeper into the ditch.

Give God the glory!

Reactions: Bible Highlighter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. Mark 10:18

Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:48

as it is written, “THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; Romans 3:10

If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. Luke 14:26

Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:24

For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:14

For many are called, but few are chosen.” Matthew 22:14

Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces. Matthew 7:6

Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
Matthew 23:9

These scriptures fall in the same category. What is it?