When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” did He mean nobody could be good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
false.

that's a lie, Rob.
a boldfaced one.

typical of the cult you're indoctrinated into and now are enslaved to proselytizing to. your entire life is dedicated to denying Christ.

how does it feel?

ΠΡΟΣ ΤΙΤΟΝ 2:13 Greek NT: Nestle 1904
προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου Θεοῦ καὶ Σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ,

ΠΡΟΣ ΤΙΤΟΝ 2:13 Greek NT: Westcott and Hort 1881
προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ,

ΠΡΟΣ ΤΙΤΟΝ 2:13 Greek NT: Westcott and Hort / [NA27 and UBS4 variants]
προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Χριστοῦ ⇔ Ἰησοῦ,

ΠΡΟΣ ΤΙΤΟΝ 2:13 Greek NT: RP Byzantine Majority Text 2005
προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ χριστοῦ,

ΠΡΟΣ ΤΙΤΟΝ 2:13 Greek NT: Greek Orthodox Church
προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου Θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ,

ΠΡΟΣ ΤΙΤΟΝ 2:13 Greek NT: Tischendorf 8th Edition
προσδέχομαι ὁ μακάριος ἐλπίς καί ἐπιφάνεια ὁ δόξα ὁ μέγας θεός καί σωτήρ ἡμᾶς Χριστός Ἰησοῦς

ΠΡΟΣ ΤΙΤΟΝ 2:13 Greek NT: Scrivener's Textus Receptus 1894
προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου Θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ,

ΠΡΟΣ ΤΙΤΟΝ 2:13 Greek NT: Stephanus Textus Receptus 1550
προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ

Titus 2:13 Greek Study Bible (Apostolic / Interlinear)
προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ,

easy enough to check out sir. At any rate Jesus has a God, he is not God, no matter how you try to promote it.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
welcome to trinitarianism.

you have zero legitimate argument to continue in your unbelief.

There you have it sir, If you cannot believe God's own voice, then there is no point in me trying to help you. Jehovah settled it for me Post.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Christianity is the name of the religion.

Christianity is how God offers relationship to Himself.

Religion is how man tries to reach god by self effort, doctrine, tenants, self justification, morini, trying to be like Christ... water baptism... etc.

Here is Salvation.... John 14:6... and that is not a religion, that is a SAVIOR.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity is how God offers relationship to Himself.

Religion is how man tries to reach god by self effort, doctrine, tenants, self justification, morini, trying to be like Christ... water baptism... etc.

Here is Salvation.... John 14:6... and that is not a religion, that is a SAVIOR.

We are not going to agree on the definition.....told you that right off.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
easy enough to check out sir. At any rate Jesus has a God, he is not God, no matter how you try to promote it.

Exactly.
Checked it out, I provided the evidence: your words and teachings are transparently and demonstrably false.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There you have it sir, If you cannot believe God's own voice, then there is no point in me trying to help you. Jehovah settled it for me Post.

I am not the one in disbelief.
I am not the one corrupting and denying scripture.
I am not the one devoting myself to denigrating Jesus.
I am not the one promoting a cult.
I am not the one rejecting the voice of God.
I am not the one preaching heresy.

These things are clear and evident.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly.
Checked it out, I provided the evidence: your words and teachings are transparently and demonstrably false.

Jehovah said: (Matthew 3:17) . . .“This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.”

If you cannot believe Him, you will not believe me.

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the Bible teaches that it is God who does the good work through the faithful believer and it is not themselves alone of their own power doing that good work. I can provide verses if you need them.
I believe that. Did I contradict that ?

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While that may not have been your intention, it sounded like you were saying the person alone was doing the good (By what you had written).
My bad. I meant we make choices between good and evil. Sorry about that!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When Jesus said, “there is none good but one, that is, God.” in Mark 10:18, did He mean that nobody could later be good?

Important Note:

I have an answer to this question, but I am merely asking publicly to see what other believers have to say (and not because I don’t have an answer). I am also redirecting this topic from another thread so as not to derail that one.
Jesus is saying/ drawing his attention to, you are calling me God.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus was aware that in him was the seed of the serpent; sins flesh had its own will and while that will had the potential to be manifested he rebuked the title suggesting God alone possess inherent goodness.

While Christians hold to the doctrine of the Trinity verses like this one will always be confusing because truth cannot be obtained when one is holding onto lies.

he question for this board is this....Jesus knew that in him was not inherent goodness because he was sin prone nature and death bound.

Do you know Jesus?

Possibly not, if you cant see the depth of his remarks in Mark 10:18.

F2F

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was aware that in him was the seed of the serpent; sins flesh had its own will and while that will had the potential to be manifested he rebuked the title suggesting God alone possess inherent goodness.

While Christians hold to the doctrine of the Trinity verses like this one will always be confusing because truth cannot be obtained when one is holding onto lies.

he question for this board is this....Jesus knew that in him was not inherent goodness because he was sin prone nature and death bound.

Do you know Jesus?

Possibly not, if you cant see the depth of his remarks in Mark 10:18.

F2F
Jesus didn't come to be our Savior. He came as our Savior. The glory seen at the Transfiguration was His at birth. John describes it as the Glory of an only son full of grace and truth.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus didn't come to be our Savior. He came as our Savior. The glory seen at the Transfiguration was His at birth. John describes it as the Glory of an only son full of grace and truth.
No sorry you are like most Christians who would prefer lies over truth.
Your comment makes John 17:5 a joke...why would Christ pray to God asking Him to Glorify Himself in Christ, which could only happen through his death, resurrection and ascension. If, as you say he already had that Glory? How so? And why the request?

But by all means please say Jesus was given conception by the power of God which is the Holy Spirit.
That would get an amen!

Christ did not possess eternal life until he was changed just like everyone else will be after the resurrection.

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Mark 10:18

“None Good!!!” - no, not one! not even the Lord Jesus Christ would dare to place himself along side God as there is only One single source of Goodness and that is God.

Romans 3:10 quoting Psalms 14:1-3

In terms of the process of growing in the knowledge of God we all are represented in Christ Psalms 14:5 “God is in the generation of the righteous” so also “God was in Christ” 2 Corinthians 5:19.

It's such a shame you all fail to see the Christ as God has revealed him...turning him into a god you fail to acknowledge him as the Son of Man.

Find the Son of Man and you will find your Messiah - choke on the Trinity pill and you will never come to a knowledge of the true Gospel.

F2F

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Also, dont make the same mistake this enquiring mind did in Mark 10:17...“Good Master” – its the same word as in Matthew 19:16 “What good thing”.... He is preoccupied with the “goodness” in man as many are in this forum. If we had Christ's humility and honesty we all would not allow the flesh to glory in his presence, but bring it into subjection by His Word.

He didn't realise it was only by faith in God's promises that you can inherit and "no good" thing that he could do to take it (it's a gift)! Galatians 3:18

The sad part here in this thread is some who do not know the true Christ and his identity is lost even though the seek for salvation and an inheritance which they must have because they claim belief in a god-man. :doldrums:

Great disappointment here.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Reactions: Pisteuo