When Jesus says...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the scripture below apply to Christians today?

• Total voters

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree with you Rach - people have most definitely lost their appetite! However, it doesn't mean that our guided corporation is not involved. No one would ever look at the situation and claim that our meager involvment takes anything away from God. In any case, it really shouldn't matter because even if God required us to die on our own cross and do all the work in order for us to be saved - He would still get all the glory because we already rely on Him for our very being, right?

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
attitude of "anything of me," releases from liability, and the attitude of "God makes everything himself" puts the responsibility on God - also the responsibility for sin.

For this reason, among representatives of the "zero of self" meets the largest number of corruption and unrighteousness. Pagans demonstrate more a conscience, than those "under grace" - I speak from experience.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
attitude of "anything of me," releases from liability, and the attitude of "God makes everything himself" puts the responsibility on God - also the responsibility for sin.

For this reason, among representatives of the "zero of self" meets the largest number of corruption and unrighteousness. Pagans demonstrate more a conscience, than those "under grace" - I speak from experience.

Yes... That is the result.

Rach, understand this is not an attack on your person AT ALL. :) I am speaking of the doctrine, and the doctrine results in lawlessness. Because some have the right heart, they still do right though they believe this doctrine... But teaching it is dangerous!

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Ah, to be young again!

You're allowed to have stuff, money, items, homes, wives, kids, toys, etc etc. There's nothing wrong with this.

Take up your cross and follow me, means, follow Jesus regardless of the situation. Everyone that follows Jesus will face some sort of hardship because of it.

The rest of it, Well, don't make anything more important that your relationship with Jesus.

Don't steal and cheat and lie to get gains on this earth. Don't quit following the Lord because it's hard or people may not like you because of it. Simple as that.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Am I misunderstanding your last statement that I underlined, that pagans demonstrate more of a conscience than those "under grace"?

If you speak of some of the 'Once Saved, Always Saved" crowd, then I might agree somewhat. I would never agree with that about the majority of Christian believers though.

And it would also depend on what type of pagans you speak of. There's some truly... evil, violent and sedicious pagans that exist in the world.

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
Am I misunderstanding your last statement that I underlined, that pagans demonstrate more of a conscience than those "under grace"?

Yes, I told about "Once Saved, Always Saved".

If you speak of some of the 'Once Saved, Always Saved" crowd, then I might agree somewhat. I would never agree with that about the majority of Christian believers though.

And it would also depend on what type of pagans you speak of. There's some truly... evil, violent and sedicious pagans that exist in the world.

I also disagree - disagree with you. Because "the majority of Christians" in general are not really Christians although they so call. ( just please, not just complains me judge, because I myself pray to the Lord admitted me as a Christian).

This is true with pagans are differs, but I spoke generally - in my opinion those saved "apart from works once and for all" presents the worst section of humanity, demonstrating the worst characteristics corruption of human nature, such as meanness, hypocrisy, pride, egoism, greed and the like - because they saved with whatever the deeds, they do not see the need to fight their own sin and depravity and give freedom to desires of the flesh.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Yes, I told about "Once Saved, Always Saved".

I also disagree - disagree with you. Because "the majority of Christians" in general are not really Christians although they so call. ( just please, not just complains me judge, because I myself pray to the Lord admitted me as a Christian).

This is true with pagans are differs, but I spoke generally - in my opinion those saved "apart from works once and for all" presents the worst section of humanity, demonstrating the worst characteristics corruption of human nature, such as meanness, hypocrisy, pride, egoism, greed and the like - because they saved with whatever the deeds, they do not see the need to fight their own sin and depravity and give freedom to desires of the flesh.

What you are saying is a great truth..I see more Christian like behavior in people who do not know Jesus, than in most that profess to know Him...Most will not leave the comfort of their homes to teach the non-Christians about Jesus, nor approve of me teaching or showing the love of Christ to the gays, the addicts, the unsaved....they think something might rub off these people onto them I think...no matter, Jesus loves all, hates sin, but loves the sinner and given the choice He would rather me give Him as an example on earth, than sit in a chair not caring...

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

That I cannot... agree with.

Pagans are under sin just as much as any Christian believer is. The difference is that sin is ultimately covered for those in Christ as they repent to Him and make a change, but not for the pagan who continues in their sins without reconciliation to God through His Son.

If you began hanging out with more pagans I think you'd change your view about them, that they probably sin just as much, if not more... than Christians in general.

The judging according to sight is always going to be a slanted view used against general Christianity, because many that refuse Christ will see a Christian do a sin and think, "Well, so those Christians really are no different than us pagans?" Yes, we Christians are different, in that a pagan has what as a recompense for their sin, an idol, a pagan god which is no god?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
A pagan who doesn't claim to be right with God is better off than a 'christian' who claims to be right with God but lives just like pagans. Atleast there is no pretension!

And then there are some pagans who do follow their conscience and love their neighbor!

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
A pagan who doesn't claim to be right with God is better off than a 'christian' who claims to be right with God but lives just like pagans. Atleast there is no pretension!

And then there are some pagans who do follow their conscience and love their neighbor!

yes!

2Pe 2:21 esv"(21) For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them."

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Veteran ..I hang with the pagans as everyone is calling them, however they are lost misguided sheep of the Lords....a pagan to me is someone who worships the devil....I hang with the lost, the gay, the addict..I tell them about Jesus on a daily bases, I feed them, clothe them and listen..then I pray..I have asked several Christians to come along and do the same...however, the statements I get are...I think I am going to be sick on that day, or sorry...going to get all my teeth pulled out or the classic...Why are you even talking to them...don't you know they are going to hell?...so tell me sugar, should I just walk away and let them stay lost, should I just turn a blind eye to their salvation, should I just say..they are sinners not worth my time...Mercy, blind people leading the blind...I love all these people, I do not agree with their lifestyle and tell them bluntly so..but I do love them and will continue to pray and show God's love to them...maybe, just maybe..I will see them in paradise and I just might not see the ones that were sick that day..I have no idea who is going to be there, I might not make it myself..but I will have done as Jesus has told us, and shown us in His word at least and not just showed up on a church day a warmed a pew...

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
I do not excuse pagans. I know them very well, my whole family is are atheists, so I know what I tell.

As said Prentis, pagans sometimes follow the conscience (whose not died yet) ...

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Veteran ..I hang with the pagans as everyone is calling them, however they are lost misguided sheep of the Lords....a pagan to me is someone who worships the devil....I hang with the lost, the gay, the addict..I tell them about Jesus on a daily bases, I feed them, clothe them and listen..then I pray..I have asked several Christians to come along and do the same...however, the statements I get are...I think I am going to be sick on that day, or sorry...going to get all my teeth pulled out or the classic...Why are you even talking to them...don't you know they are going to hell?...so tell me sugar, should I just walk away and let them stay lost, should I just turn a blind eye to their salvation, should I just say..they are sinners not worth my time...Mercy, blind people leading the blind...I love all these people, I do not agree with their lifestyle and tell them bluntly so..but I do love them and will continue to pray and show God's love to them...maybe, just maybe..I will see them in paradise and I just might not see the ones that were sick that day..I have no idea who is going to be there, I might not make it myself..but I will have done as Jesus has told us, and shown us in His word at least and not just showed up on a church day a warmed a pew...

And you're totally right about that.

But that's not really the matter which Vashti has brought up. If we as Christians start trying to justify a pagan lifestyle just because we ourselves also cannot totally be free from sin in this flesh, then you'd have no righteous foundation to go to them and preach Christ Jesus.

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
start trying to justify a pagan lifestyle
And you're totally right about that.

But that's not really the matter which Vashti has brought up. If we as Christians start trying to justify a pagan lifestyle just because we ourselves also cannot totally be free from sin in this flesh, then you'd have no righteous foundation to go to them and preach Christ Jesus.

You must be kidding? :blink:

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
start trying to justify a pagan lifestyle

You must be kidding? :blink:

Not really. Maybe you didn't intend that idea, but that's basically what it means when one says they think pagans have more conscience to do good than Christians, like your statement...

"Pagans demonstrate more a conscience, than those "under grace" - I speak from experience."

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
Not really. Maybe you didn't intend that idea, but that's basically what it means when one says they think pagans have more conscience to do good than Christians, like your statement...

"Pagans demonstrate more a conscience, than those "under grace" - I speak from experience."

Because this is true - I did not speak for all Christians, only a certain kind.

But this is not the same as what you accuse me.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I think Vashti is saying she has seen 'Christians' who consider that they are saved and not responsible for their sins (they say 'under grace') are not even just, and fair, which many pagans are. They do less then the pagans, and justify themselves in it.

She is not justifying this, just trying to call it as it is.

We are called to do MORE than pagans, because we have greater power available to us, the new nature. They love the ones who loves them, we are called to love all... For example.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Can we have the treasure in heaven without laying our riches there? Can we have the heavenly kingdom without leaving behind what we have on this earth?

Our Treasure Has always been in Heaven. But each day I ask God to fill Me with that treasure until the man is gone and nothing remains except the treasures of Heaven.

Matthew 6
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6
24 "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Rach, understand this is not an attack on your person AT ALL. :) I am speaking of the doctrine, and the doctrine results in lawlessness. Because some have the right heart, they still do right though they believe this doctrine... But teaching it is dangerous!

Prentis, I know you mean well, but you cannot tell someone they need an attitude adjustment without it being personal. For that matter, issue's of doctrine are very personal, because it comes down to intimate beliefs.
But when it comes down to it, I really don't give a hoot if you are attacking me or not. The real issue here is the truth of the gospel. You smile and give very nice sounding self sacrificing answers, but you do not back up your 'doctrines' with scripture, even though many different scriptures have already been given to you that disprove your idea. You very tidily miss my points and never really give a straight answer. So, I'm gonna try and boil it down a bit, and see if we get somewhere.

You claim: that the cross was just the shove across the 'salvation' line, but if we want to truly achieve it, it's up to us to reach the finish line. Biblical? No. See verses above in regards to Jesus' all perfect, all finishing work on the cross.

You claim: that by teaching that salvation is won by Christ on the cross and Him alone, that we are leading people astray into 'dangerous' doctrines. Well, you are teaching them that they may...no, need to play a part in their own salvation. Which, I wonder, is the more dangerous?? I have said that the Bible teaches we play a role in our sanctification process, a role that is often difficult; but that is not salvation (which is a free gift...again, see verses above), sanctification is the day by day, hand in hand effort with the Spirit, to put sin to death and become more Christ like.

I'm actually pretty worried about you Prentis. If you truly think that Jesus didn't win salvation for us once and for all on the cross, as the Bible says, then I am not the one teaching a dangerous doctrine. If you think that by any particular striving on our part can earn or affect our salvation status now or in the long haul, you are dismissing and belittling the work of Christ. That is unbiblical and dangerous. The process of sanctification is long, difficult and requires a new heart of change within us every day. It's something we just couldn't do by ourselves...we require the Holy Spirit living within us helping us. And the Holy Spirit is something we receive once we have the free gift of salvation. But salvation...our justification in the eyes of God....that happens ONLY in Jesus. It was His life and death that purchased our righteousness in God's eyes. Any time you try and wiggle any act, deed or thought of ours into that process, you sully it again. The Bible is so very clear on this, and to disprove it, you're going to have to do more than present verses that 'seem' to say the opposite. You need to first disprove the ones that say it repeatedly and emphatically; and then prove that the 'opposing' verses actually do oppose it. Because my friend, no verses do oppose it. They all compliment, and if you think they don't, then it's only more proof that your own doctrine is horribly flawed.

I think Vashti is saying she has seen 'Christians' who consider that they are saved and not responsible for their sins (they say 'under grace') are not even just, and fair, which many pagans are. They do less then the pagans, and justify themselves in it.

She is not justifying this, just trying to call it as it is.

We are called to do MORE than pagans, because we have greater power available to us, the new nature. They love the ones who loves them, we are called to love all... For example.

I'd say that "Christians" who say they are under grace, but then live and behave as they choose (obviously sinful), then they are not truly saved. Just as those who claim to be saved but behave just as the Pharisees did (trying to earn their salvation by behaving well and doing good works) are not saved.

Jesus said you would be able to tell a true Christian by their fruit. How does the person live? Is there evidence of a new heart?

I think too often people forget that good fruit can look different in different people lives. For Prentis, it may be that he is called by God to give up many worldly possessions, but for another Christian, God may be using their earthly wealth to support an important ministry. For Shep, going out and helping so many people is such a wonderful out pouring of her new heart, but something like that is just not possible for me with a chronic illness. I find that I'm called closer to home.
So often we rush to judge, but we do that based on our own needs, thoughts, convictions and abilities. We are all so different, we need to remember that probably the only thing many of us have in common is Jesus and His saving work in our lives.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
I'm actually pretty worried about you Prentis. If you truly think that Jesus didn't win salvation for us once and for all on the cross, as the Bible says, then I am not the one teaching a dangerous doctrine. If you think that by any particular striving on our part can earn or affect our salvation status now or in the long haul, you are dismissing and belittling the work of Christ. That is unbiblical and dangerous.

How do you explain these scriptures?

Philippians 2
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

Hebrews 11
35 Women received their dead raised to life again. And others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.

Hebrews 10
38 Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him."
39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.

Christ is the author of salvation. He did not win anything. He made the way that you could enter into. His sacrifice allows you to come to God to receive God's Spirit.