When to judge people?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
There's been a lot of confusion/debate on this forum about judging and not judging.

I believe we must avoid extremes, meaning we can (and I use the word 'can' tentatively) judge when the person concerned is hurting others willfully and without the prick of conscience. Else, we have no right to judge. We can judge a murderer. We cannot judge an alcoholic. Just examples, btw.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Clarification is needed, in my opinion, on the word, “judgmental”, and the call to “righteous judging”. This topic is tearing at the fiber of the North American church today and is bringing in moral relativism by the truckload.

Criticism, for its own sake, is usually out of a bitter spirit, born out of hypocrisy, and is plainly wrong. It is not motivated by the Holy Spirit in the least.

There is, however, a vital aspect to judging. One of the gifts of the Spirit is the “Discerning of Spirits”, found in 1 Corinthians 12:10. The Greek word for discernment is, “diakrisis”, which comes from two words: “dia”, meaning “through, between”, and “krino”, meaning, “to judge”. In other words, the Holy Spirit gifts people so that they can make a judgment between two things, as to which right, and which is wrong. The specific gift of “discernment of spirits” involves being supernaturally able to distinguish between a person who is serving the cause of evil spirits, and one who is serving the cause of God. As soon as one says, “ No person has the right to judge”, then that person is actually quenching the Holy Spirit’s gifting of people to make judgments which will edify the church.

To say that we the Church cannot judge a situation or a person in sin is to allow cultural relativism to slip into the church, falling into an unbalanced doctrine of judgment. This is happening more and more now.

The Lord Jesus shows that it is good to “judge with righteous judgment” (John 7:24). ..we should make judgments based on the yardstick of righteousness as revealed in His Word, which looks beyond mere outward appearances, and are made with the right spirit in heart.

When Jesus said, “Judge not, that you be not judged” (Matthew 7:1), we immediately know what kind of judgment He is referring to there. He cannot mean that we must never make any judgment at all, otherwise we would not be able to fulfill some other scriptural mandates, such as never to allow anyone to deceive us...see Matthew 24:4; Luke 21:8; 2Thessalonians 2:3; Ephesians 5:6; Colossians 2:8. If only God can judge, as many think, then how will we be able to fulfill the apostle John’s command: “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world” (1 John 4:1). Far from being wrong, judgment is actually a vital part of the Christian armour!

Christ has placed pastors and teachers into the church precisely to make judgments which will prevent people from being “tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting” (Ephesians 4:14). The judgment which the Lord Jesus forbids in Matthew 7:1 refers to a person who makes a judgment about another person, while he himself is doing the very same thing which he is judging in the other! That is hypocritical judgment, a hypocrisy, which is forbidden by Christ.

The kind of judgment which builds up God’s people by advising them of danger or falsehood is an absolute necessity.

Reactions: Redeemed86

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you can disagree with a person's choices / lifestyle / beliefs without judging. The world may disagree with me on this subject because there is a movement afoot that condemns the idea of disagreeing with others - I think that is wrong. I have no problem disagreeing with people for various reasons, but I do not wish them ill will or expect them to conform to my beliefs.

On the other hand I can see why nonbelievers get angry about some Christians forcing their beliefs or customs on them. As a Christian, I should not expect nonbelievers to conform to my customs on marriage, lifestyle or morality - my opinion and vote is just as valuable as anyone else in America - no more/no less.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I have noticed people cry foul and accuse others of judging them the most when they are caught in their sin/duplicity.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have noticed people cry foul and accuse others of judging them the most when they are caught in their sin/duplicity.

I think nonbelievers cry foul when they are caught in sinful behavior that is judged according to a moral code they do not recognize - and in America it becomes an issue of personal freedom.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I think the Holy Spirit's ability to convict a person of sin is powerful and we should pray to that end. Also, to open up the Scripture to show one the error of his ways is acceptable too...but to be mean-spirited, insulting, and arrogant in approach seems to be the devil's bidding. We should be known for our love for one another...and not how well we can spar with each other.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the Holy Spirit's ability to convict a person of sin is powerful and we should pray to that end. Also, to open up the Scripture to show one the error of his ways is acceptable too...but to be mean-spirited, insulting, and arrogant in approach seems to be the devil's bidding. We should be known for our love for one another...and not how well we can spar with each other.

I agree, but nonbelievers are not bound by God's laws - He gives them the choice to reject Him. I believe all nonbelievers should be prayed for because it is God's Will that all should eventually believe and come to salvation, but I am not sure restricting the freedom through law that God is allowing to occur is right. Who knows.....what if measure 8 in California is akin to Peter trying to stop Christ going to the Cross?