Theology is our thinking!! Not the Lord's!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To put it succinctly, I do not believe you!
Furthermore I think it heretical to keep pushing this thought forward that you have.

Yes God speaks to certain ppl he calls into a mission or plan for his work.
Yes the Holy Spirit cautions, warns, and corrects our spirits when we err in an inner hearing, however the way you present it is not according to how God spoke to Moses or any of the prophets in every moment. Are you greater or special?

What you present is fanatical & fantastical. Yet you seem to promote that you are the one he " talks" to 24/7 on an intimate basis bar none.It rounds down to the same thought every time. No one listens but you.

You cannot instruct me in anything spiritual. I have the word and the Spirit and have zero need of some men's nonsense.
Maybe it's just me but, I've noticed there are a few here who insist their theology is absolute. And any who disagree are not in Christ, nor he within them.

If I am correct in those observations I'd wonder if God's word would reach them were we whom they condemn as non-Christians refer them to it?

God Bless you,

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Titus 3

1.Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. 3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. 4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 8 The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people. 9 But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. 10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

If I tell someone to listen to Jesus Christ is that now and evil thing????
I don't know a better thing to do!!
Indeed it is the thing the Lord asks me to do!!
That should not surprise you, right? Did you not read:

2 Tim 4: 1,4 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

Is not the problem that you think "reprove, rebuke, exhort, and with great patience and instruction" is something evil????

Did you not read who Jesus had discussion with the Pharisees and Sadducees which appeared to be a quarreling, but He is not "quarreling" but trying to reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction, but they didn't like being reproved, rebuked, and corrected,

Jn 8: 3 - 6 The scribes and the Pharisees *brought a woman caught in adultery, and having set her in the center of the court, they *said to Him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act. “Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?” They were saying this, testing Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground.

and what about:

Jn 8: 12 -14 Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”
So the Pharisees said to Him, “You are testifying about Yourself; Your testimony is not true.”
Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I testify about Myself, My testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from or where I am going.

If you had been there would you not have thought they were "quarreling", and perhaps He was not being "gentle" or not showing "perfect courtesy"

He was not doing that, or do you think Jesus could not keep what was to be asked of others? He was not doing what you think, but He was trying to get people to listen with their spiritual ears!!!

Jn 8:43 “Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.

You might think He did that to be accusing or rude, but it was said to get them to actually seek Him and what He says via the Holy Spirit!! Jesus Christ was preaching the Word of God (Him) and that they need to listen to Him, even via the Holy Spirit!!

Indeed, if you really do take sometime and talk to Him you will understand this!! But if you just lean on your own understanding you will miss what is going on!!!

You will think it evil, like they have suggested, and you will think it is quarrelsome, and fail to even recognized that you didn't talk to them because you didn't talk to Him, and you will think it is not gentle, because you think any reproof is not good and fail to realize that He reproves those He loves!

Rev 3:19 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.

Do you even think the reproof on the peace on earth thing you wrote was meant to be quarrelsome, so that you missed the instruction to listen to Him for understanding?

Why do you think I gave you this verse, if not that you should seek Him first?

Rev 3:20 ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

So I have the same advice to you as to so many others in this thread and that is to actually seek Him and listen to Him and do not lean on your own understanding of God (your theology). Seek Him in all your ways!! That is where your peace with God will come from!!

And as for being obedient to rulers and authorities, is not Jesus Christ the King of Kings and authority over all things, and He told me to post this thread, and He told me to preach the Word of God, and who then is telling me not too? Never-the-less, if there is an authority on this site who wants me to stop then let them say so and I will. For then I can tell Him, the King of Kings, that I was stopped by someone in authority on this Forum.

That is ok by me. I have a business in which I can make money from instead of doing this work for Him. So I benefit by not taking time to preach the Word like He says, but I also believe I benefit by preach the Word like He says also. So all things will work out fine for me, if I do what He tells me to do. Either someone will listen to Him, or I will be stopped and I will make more money. It is just like it is written, all things work for good for those who love the Lord.

Rom 8:28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

So it works out for me when I do what He tells me to do, and if it not possible because some being gets in the way, that will work out for good for me also.

Therefore again I tell you to seek Him and listen to Him, and do not lean on your own understanding, even your own understanding of the Bible. That is your theology and not His!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it's just me but, I've noticed there are a few here who insist their theology is absolute. And any who disagree are not in Christ, nor he within them.

If I am correct in those observations I'd wonder if God's word would reach them were we whom they condemn as non-Christians refer them to it?

God Bless you,

Why do you write "maybe it's just me"?

Is that what believing in Him like?

Far be it from me to insist my theology is right!! That was not what the OP was about, was it!

I insist that Jesus Christ our Lord has it right, not us!!!

So how could anyone not see that, even see that by what I wrote?? Is it because the maybe they are just looking to themselves?

And indeed, if anyone does disagree with seeking Jesus Christ and His voice are they in Christ?

Regardless, anyone can open up to Him and listen to Him, but will they?

And it is written that His sheep hear His voice, or is it maybe I hear His voice? What do we believe? What or who did you find when you seek Him??

He once told me, "THE LIE IS “GOD DOESN’T TALK TO YOU!!!!” REMEMBER WHAT THE DEVIL SAID “DID GOD REALLY TELL YOU?” THAT IS THE LIE! THAT IS THE LIE BEING USED TODAY!

I don't say maybe He told me that, but I firmly believe that was Him who told me that. So I tell people that Jesus Christ the Lord our God does talk to you, but will you doubt that because the devil says "Did God really tell you."

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?”

That "Indeed, has God said", comes across from the snake in many ways. It might be he gets you thinking "maybe it is just me". so did you seek the Lord or not, what do you believe. Did you ask, "Jesus Christ, what do you want to tell me?". If so, what did He tell you?

As for me I insist His theology is right!!

I believe in Him. He told me to write this thread about:

And I agree with Him, but who seeks Him by faith and listens with faith in Him!!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is the thread, and it is well represented in this thread - which has numerous Christian (His people) fighting against the idea of actually seeking Him and His voice but rather leaning on their own understanding and rejecting the idea of seeking Him for what is right or wrong.

They point to the Bible, but when the Bible is examined, we still find that we are supposed to be seeking Him and what He has to say to us. And we find that people have always resisted Him, even a people called His people.

Ps 81:13 “Oh that My people would listen to Me,
That Israel would walk in My ways!

Christians are grafted into the Jewish root, thus are part of "Israel" but we act the same way and He still feels the same way about us.

Ps 81:11“But My people did not listen to My voice,
And Israel did not obey Me.

Ps 81:15 “Those who hate the LORD would pretend obedience to Him,
And their time of punishment would be forever.

Despite what many think I understand this issue, because I too often don't want to seek the voice of the Lord and listen to Him. Yet what am I to say. He is there with me always. I hear from Him throughout the day. Again this morning He got me up very early, several hours before I would want to wake up. I didn't want to listen. I didn't want to wake up early. And if you think coming on this forum and trying to get His people to listen to Him is a wonderful thing, you would be wrong. What have His people always done with those in the Bible who tried to get His people to listen? Were they not chopped down in a tree, thrown down a well, and many such things. Even when the Son of the Most High was sent to tell God's people to listen they hung Him on a cross. Did you think that when you read the Bible that is was not about YOU?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Lord was with you then you would hear His voice and be tell others to do the same. Or have you not read that His sheep hear His voice, the thing you don't like to read about!!

I went for a walk with Him. He pointed out how the Jews were, in general, and still are most like today. There were and still in generally are looking for Him, the Messiah, to come in the flesh. They were looking for Him and still are, according to their understanding of the Scriptures - their theology! He explained that " they were and still are looking for a 'Biblical or a Scriptural Christ' - "He must be like what they thought when they studied the Scriptures", they said in their hearts", He explained. And He went on to explain that they too were people just like Christians, but despite their study, and even their study to this day, they still have not come to know Him!

We Christians even have the advantage of having the New Testament writings and this all explained to us, and we can't apply it to our lives today. Did you even notice how they thought Jesus Christ Himself was of the devil - just like you think of Him who talks to me. Did you not even read what He told them?

Jn 8:43,44 “Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.
“You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
HIS SHEEP DO HEAR HIS VOICE . And they test the voices of all others against THE TRUTH IN THE BIBLE budrow .
IF any man cometh , heck if even a moutain did speak , an angel
a donkey or a fish and it speaketh contrary to the Holy and glorious , wonderous and magnficent , beautiful and holy
WORDS IN THE BIBLE , ITS A fraud my friend . This lamb shall test every word spoken
by any human , animal , heck tree or anything , AGAINST what is already been written IN that glorious and holy wonderful bible

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I tell someone to listen to Jesus Christ is that now and evil thing????
I don't know a better thing to do!!
Indeed it is the thing the Lord asks me to do!!
That should not surprise you, right? Did you not read:

2 Tim 4: 1,4 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

Is not the problem that you think "reprove, rebuke, exhort, and with great patience and instruction" is something evil????

Did you not read who Jesus had discussion with the Pharisees and Sadducees which appeared to be a quarreling, but He is not "quarreling" but trying to reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction, but they didn't like being reproved, rebuked, and corrected,

Jn 8: 3 - 6 The scribes and the Pharisees *brought a woman caught in adultery, and having set her in the center of the court, they *said to Him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act. “Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?” They were saying this, testing Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground.

and what about:

Jn 8: 12 -14 Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”
So the Pharisees said to Him, “You are testifying about Yourself; Your testimony is not true.”
Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I testify about Myself, My testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from or where I am going.

If you had been there would you not have thought they were "quarreling", and perhaps He was not being "gentle" or not showing "perfect courtesy"

He was not doing that, or do you think Jesus could not keep what was to be asked of others? He was not doing what you think, but He was trying to get people to listen with their spiritual ears!!!

Jn 8:43 “Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.

You might think He did that to be accusing or rude, but it was said to get them to actually seek Him and what He says via the Holy Spirit!! Jesus Christ was preaching the Word of God (Him) and that they need to listen to Him, even via the Holy Spirit!!

Indeed, if you really do take sometime and talk to Him you will understand this!! But if you just lean on your own understanding you will miss what is going on!!!

You will think it evil, like they have suggested, and you will think it is quarrelsome, and fail to even recognized that you didn't talk to them because you didn't talk to Him, and you will think it is not gentle, because you think any reproof is not good and fail to realize that He reproves those He loves!

Rev 3:19 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.

Do you even think the reproof on the peace on earth thing you wrote was meant to be quarrelsome, so that you missed the instruction to listen to Him for understanding?

Why do you think I gave you this verse, if not that you should seek Him first?

So I have the same advice to you as to so many others in this thread and that is to actually seek Him and listen to Him and do not lean on your own understanding of God (your theology). Seek Him in all your ways!! That is where your peace with God will come from!!

And as for being obedient to rulers and authorities, is not Jesus Christ the King of Kings and authority over all things, and He told me to post this thread, and He told me to preach the Word of God, and who then is telling me not too? Never-the-less, if there is an authority on this site who wants me to stop then let them say so and I will. For then I can tell Him, the King of Kings, that I was stopped by someone in authority on this Forum.

That is ok by me. I have a business in which I can make money from instead of doing this work for Him. So I benefit by not taking time to preach the Word like He says, but I also believe I benefit by preach the Word like He says also. So all things will work out fine for me, if I do what He tells me to do. Either someone will listen to Him, or I will be stopped and I will make more money. It is just like it is written, all things work for good for those who love the Lord.

Rom 8:28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

So it works out for me when I do what He tells me to do, and if it not possible because some being gets in the way, that will work out for good for me also.

Therefore again I tell you to seek Him and listen to Him, and do not lean on your own understanding, even your own understanding of the Bible. That is your theology and not His!
That is a tremendously long reply that I admit I did not fully read past the first two paragraphs. Because in my opinion, no way could you arrive at that response to my merely posting the Titus verse itself. Without quoting anyone, I might add.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm pointing out that to some, "theology" means trying to understand God's will. To others, maybe it means something else.
The suffix "ology" typically means the study of something,
Biology is the study of the bios. Theology is the study of theos, or the study of God.
So, I think @Karl Peters got it right in the OP. But...

theology
thē-ŏl′ə-jē

noun​

1. The study of the nature of God and religious truth; rational inquiry into religious questions.
  2. A system or school of opinions concerning God and religious questions.
  3. A course of specialized religious study usually at a college or seminary.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wouldn't religion be doing the church's will, by your own definition?
Where did I say that? I said, "But to me, 'religion' would be a person's honest efforts to do God's will." I don't see any mention of a church in that sentence.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Theology is our understanding of God. We are all going to have our understanding of God, but it is not what we are to lean on!!
We are to live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God, and to do that you must believe that He is always with us, like He said..

Now the Lord once asked me, "Karl, who do you think have a better understanding of Me - Theologians or Abraham?"

I thought about it and answered the Lord that, "I think Abraham had a better understanding of You, Lord."

He answered me, "So then a relationship gives you a better understanding than study."

That does not mean we shouldn't read and study the Bible, but when it comes to really knowing the Lord our God Jesus Christ, a personal relationship is better to understand Him than you study of the Bible. This explains why the Pharisees did not know Jesus Christ when He came in the flesh, but those in relationship with God, like Simeon and Anna, did even though He was just a child when they saw Him. (Luke 2)

Therefore, our theology (our understanding of God) must be developed while walking and talking with Him personally, and even then we must understand that His thoughts are still not our thoughts!!!
I applaud you for launching a thought-provoking topic like this one. Thanks.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Where did I say that? I said, "But to me, 'religion' would be a person's honest efforts to do God's will." I don't see any mention of a church in that sentence.
On page one in post #19.

This is what you wrote in post #19 on page one.
To some, "religion" is an honest effort to do God's will. To others, "religion" is rules set in place by self-serving church "leaders." But to me, "religion" would be a person's honest efforts to do God's will.
Perhaps I misunderstood you. You said, "To others..."
I suppose you put yourself in the first group? "To some..." ???

Anyway, why would you put religion between you and God?
Wouldn't a direct relationship with God be better?

The word religion has a very negative connotation to me.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:

On page one in post #19.

This is what you wrote in post #19 on page one.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. You said, "To others..."
I suppose you put yourself in the first group? "To some..." ???

Anyway, why would you put religion between you and God?
Wouldn't a direct relationship with God be better?

The word religion has a very negative connotation to me.
To me, "religion" is our attempts to do the Lord's will.