Theology is our thinking!! Not the Lord's!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whereas I define "religion" as a person's attempts to do God's will, I think you define it as rules created by the people in charge.
Religion

rĭ-lĭj′ən

noun​

1. The belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers, regarded as creating and governing the universe.
  2. A particular variety of such belief, especially when organized into a system of doctrine and practice.
  3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Religion

rĭ-lĭj′ən

noun​

1. The belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers, regarded as creating and governing the universe.
  2. A particular variety of such belief, especially when organized into a system of doctrine and practice.
  3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
The dictionary is not my Bible.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Religion

rĭ-lĭj′ən

noun​

And it can depend on your choice of dictionary:

religion:

the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"

a particular system of faith and worship.

Reactions: Ritajanice

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it can depend on your choice of dictionary:

religion:

the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"

a particular system of faith and worship.
Oxfords definition does not vary that much from the American Heritage.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a tremendously long reply that I admit I did not fully read past the first two paragraphs. Because in my opinion, no way could you arrive at that response to my merely posting the Titus verse itself. Without quoting anyone, I might add.

The problem with all you wrote is in the phrase "in my opinion", and that gets at the heart of this post!!

Quite doing things in your "opinion" and start seeking the Lord our God, Jesus Christ!!

It is not that we don't have opinions and our thinking, even our thinking about God and religion which is our Theology, but that we are not to lean on it!!!!!!

We are to seek Jesus Christ by faith, that belief He is there for us to even hear from Him, and then listen to Him. For example:

I understand you meant well by saying "Peace of earth" but you failed to understand that it is also written that we say "Peace, peace, but there will be no peace"! You failed to understand that the peace God offers us here on earth is peace with Him. Your theology was wrong because you didn't listen to Him, but instead you say in your heart 'in my opinion" and fail to check it with Him! So you don't even bring the blessed peace of God, because you don't seek Him, the Lord our God, and listen to Him!!

That does not mean He doesn't love you, after all it is still written that He reproves those He loves!!! (Rev 3:19)

But are we willing to accept that reprove and repent? Or perhaps we dig in our heals and refuse to listen for His voice which is from Him standing at the door and knocking??

I stated in this thread that He asked me to post this thread and with the tittle it has. Yet look at how many people don't believe me even telling them that I heard from Him, and hear from Him. Did anyone else on this long thread claim to have actually heard from Him and said what they heard, except me? If they did I missed it, and I don't think anyone did. They just write that they don't believe I hear from Him; they don't write and testify that they hear from Him!

Instead they say things like, "I don't", or "I think", or "In my opinion" - and the very purpose of this thread was to stop that!! You will have your thinking, but take your thoughts to the Lord and listen to what He says, instead!!

Connected, but on a side note: before this thread I was posting on a thread which had questions concerning angels. Just questions, not answers. This too is a sign we don't listen with our spiritual ears. When we seek the Lord and what He says, He will talk to us and we will come to know Him. In that process we get to hearing with our spiritual ears. So we hear Him, know Him, and find out that He is the King over the Kingdom of God. We also find out that there is a rebellion going on, but also that there are more with us than against us. That is to say that knowing the King means also knowing something about His Kingdom. Indeed, He also send His Holy angels to minister to us, and also watch over us (Ps 91) So if you do get to know Him, listen to Him, you also know about His angels, and even that we battle with the demonic forces of this world, but there are more with us than against us and they are more powerful.

So we also testify about the Kingdom of God because we testify about the King, who is Jesus Christ. In that regard I have also come to know angels that serve Him. Indeed He sent me 40 angels and asked me to figure out their names. I bring all this up because one of those angels was an angel of "Peace". They tend to go by a name that applies to what they do. Just like Jesus means God's Salvation, and we Him that because He is our Savior, we also call Him Prince of Peace because many angels in His Kingdom are dedicated by Him for the purpose of bring peace to us. They are angels of Peace. Yet just like His thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways, as high as the heavens are above the earth, so are His ways above our ways, so too are the angels that serve Him do not think like we do. They are in heaven and we are still in this world.

So when I talked to the 40 angles that He sent, they told me (ministered) to me things I did not know. Angels of peace that serve the Lord are not like the demons of peace that are in this world! They understand clearly that it will be said here on earth, 'Peace Peace" but there will be no peace, and they clearly understand why! It is because there is a rebellion against God going on here on earth.!!

There fore they also clearly understand that for a person to get peace in their lives they have to stop rebelling against God!!! That mean a person that wants peace with God has to stop going 'in my opinion" and start seeking God in order to be doing things that are "in His opinion", like the angels that serve Him do!! Peace with God is strongly connected with the phrase, 'if you lose your life you will save it', and also things like 'being a slave to Christ'. And that starts ruling out the 'in my opinion', part of our lives!!! It rules out leaning on our "Theology", but causes us to seek the Lord and listen to Him!

That does not mean that we don't get "freedom in Christ' because the surrender to Christ that the angels of peace tell us about is not unconditional!! If you start listening to Him, then He will start listening to you. It is only fair. If you have a loving father and you do what He tells you, then when you want something will He not also consider you desire. He wants to give us the desires of our heart, but in the right way and at the right time, and we first we need to make it about listening to Him and doing what He askes, then we can ask of Him and it will be done for us! Have we not read that if we abide in His word then we can ask what we will and it will be done for us?

But again, if you are saying, 'in my opinion' and not seek Him and His voice, why then should you get anything?

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with all you wrote is in the phrase "in my opinion", and that gets at the heart of this post!!

Quite doing things in your "opinion" and start seeking the Lord our God, Jesus Christ!!

It is not that we don't have opinions and our thinking, even our thinking about God and religion which is our Theology, but that we are not to lean on it!!!!!!

We are to seek Jesus Christ by faith, that belief He is there for us to even hear from Him, and then listen to Him. For example:

I understand you meant well by saying "Peace of earth" but you failed to understand that it is also written that we say "Peace, peace, but there will be no peace"! You failed to understand that the peace God offers us here on earth is peace with Him. Your theology was wrong because you didn't listen to Him, but instead you say in your heart 'in my opinion" and fail to check it with Him! So you don't even bring the blessed peace of God, because you don't seek Him, the Lord our God, and listen to Him!!

That does not mean He doesn't love you, after all it is still written that He reproves those He loves!!! (Rev 3:19)

But are we willing to accept that reprove and repent? Or perhaps we dig in our heals and refuse to listen for His voice which is from Him standing at the door and knocking??

I stated in this thread that He asked me to post this thread and with the tittle it has. Yet look at how many people don't believe me even telling them that I heard from Him, and hear from Him. Did anyone else on this long thread claim to have actually heard from Him and said what they heard, except me? If they did I missed it, and I don't think anyone did. They just write that they don't believe I hear from Him; they don't write and testify that they hear from Him!

Instead they say things like, "I don't", or "I think", or "In my opinion" - and the very purpose of this thread was to stop that!! You will have your thinking, but take your thoughts to the Lord and listen to what He says, instead!!

Connected, but on a side note: before this thread I was posting on a thread which had questions concerning angels. Just questions, not answers. This too is a sign we don't listen with our spiritual ears. When we seek the Lord and what He says, He will talk to us and we will come to know Him. In that process we get to hearing with our spiritual ears. So we hear Him, know Him, and find out that He is the King over the Kingdom of God. We also find out that there is a rebellion going on, but also that there are more with us than against us. That is to say that knowing the King means also knowing something about His Kingdom. Indeed, He also send His Holy angels to minister to us, and also watch over us (Ps 91) So if you do get to know Him, listen to Him, you also know about His angels, and even that we battle with the demonic forces of this world, but there are more with us than against us and they are more powerful.

So we also testify about the Kingdom of God because we testify about the King, who is Jesus Christ. In that regard I have also come to know angels that serve Him. Indeed He sent me 40 angels and asked me to figure out their names. I bring all this up because one of those angels was an angel of "Peace". They tend to go by a name that applies to what they do. Just like Jesus means God's Salvation, and we Him that because He is our Savior, we also call Him Prince of Peace because many angels in His Kingdom are dedicated by Him for the purpose of bring peace to us. They are angels of Peace. Yet just like His thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways, as high as the heavens are above the earth, so are His ways above our ways, so too are the angels that serve Him do not think like we do. They are in heaven and we are still in this world.

So when I talked to the 40 angles that He sent, they told me (ministered) to me things I did not know. Angels of peace that serve the Lord are not like the demons of peace that are in this world! They understand clearly that it will be said here on earth, 'Peace Peace" but there will be no peace, and they clearly understand why! It is because there is a rebellion against God going on here on earth.!!

There fore they also clearly understand that for a person to get peace in their lives they have to stop rebelling against God!!! That mean a person that wants peace with God has to stop going 'in my opinion" and start seeking God in order to be doing things that are "in His opinion", like the angels that serve Him do!! Peace with God is strongly connected with the phrase, 'if you lose your life you will save it', and also things like 'being a slave to Christ'. And that starts ruling out the 'in my opinion', part of our lives!!! It rules out leaning on our "Theology", but causes us to seek the Lord and listen to Him!

That does not mean that we don't get "freedom in Christ' because the surrender to Christ that the angels of peace tell us about is not unconditional!! If you start listening to Him, then He will start listening to you. It is only fair. If you have a loving father and you do what He tells you, then when you want something will He not also consider you desire. He wants to give us the desires of our heart, but in the right way and at the right time, and we first we need to make it about listening to Him and doing what He askes, then we can ask of Him and it will be done for us! Have we not read that if we abide in His word then we can ask what we will and it will be done for us?

But again, if you are saying, 'in my opinion' and not seek Him and His voice, why then should you get anything?
Thank you for your post.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few." Matthew 7:14 RSV
Is the Christian life a death march? Very few survive?
Does God make sport with our souls? Finding life in Him is a puzzle that few can solve?
Even those who compete can lose? And the losers will be destroyed?
Sounds sadistic.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Theology" is the word I used to describe my attempts to understand God's will. Do you have a better word I could use for that?

Are you back to wrangling about words???

So you are saying that "Theology" is your seeking God not your understanding of God, but that is not what it is generally understood to be the meaning of the word, and is certainly not the definition I provided to kick of this thread!!

I picked this up off the internet, the first thing I found on it:

NOUN
the study of the nature of God and religious belief:
"a theology degree"
religious beliefs and theory when systematically developed:

Now theology is certainly requiring a study but is results in religious beliefs and theory. Yet a relationship with God requires seeking Him and listening to Him. So being a disciple of God is not a 'study of the nature of God', or your "Theology" if you want to wrangle about words and change the definition provided for in the OP, it is learning directly from the Lord. Both result in religious belief and theory. So either way your Theology, or leaning on your Theology is wrong!! But result in you thinking you can study about God and know Him!! That is wrong!! He is a person who you talking with and get to know Him!!

That does not mean He won't ask you to study, like a Teacher in a classroom, but it does mean that understanding Him does not come from a book but through His explaining things (Him and other things also) to you!!

And you are just wrangling about words - which we are told not to, right?? I mean you have actually heard Him personally talk to you about this and cover the whys and why nots of this, right? If not you at least read about this in the Bible, did you not? So maybe you need to seek Him so you will get an understanding why not?

2 Tim 2:14 Remind them of these things, and solemnly charge them in the presence of God not to wrangle about words, which is useless and leads to the ruin of the hearers.

So I am "reminding" you and in the presence of God, to not wrangel about the words!!! It is the meaning and understanding that is important and understanding come from His mouth, right?

Prov 2:6 For the LORD gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Indeed. it is for this reason (that understanding comes from His mouth) that the OP was written!!!

Look - you sometime write something that sound good, like writing about prayer is a conversation with God, but our you indeed having those conversations, back and forth with Him?? Frankly, I don't see it in most of what you write. But by saying "I don't see it" it does not mean that you don't ever converse with Him. Maybe you are just writing about things you haven't talked over with Him yet? I mean we all know in part. But to help you let me give you a few things He actually talked to me about this hearing and getting understanding from Him! Maybe they can be of some use to you, if you actually decide to read them, and take them to Him?

He told me:

UNDERSTANDING IS UNDERSTANDING I AM UNDERSTANDING! UNDERSTAND?

and: A MAN THAT LISTENS TO GOD IS AS RARE AS DIAMONDS IN THE ROCK.

and: WE DON’T USE THE LORD TO PREACH THE SCRIPTURES; WE USE THE SCRIPTURES TO PREACH THE LORD!!

and THE BEST LISTENERS MAKE THE BEST TEACHERS.

and: WE DON’T HAVE UNDERSTANDING BECAUSE WE DON’T READ THE BIBLE WITH UNDERSTANDING, BUT OUR UNDERSTANDING…. UNDERSTAND???

and: SO, ARE YOU TRYING TO DO GOOD, OR ARE YOU TRYING TO BE GREAT?
WHAT DO YOU HEAR BEFORE YOU SPEAK?

and: AS INSTRUCTIONS ARE GIVEN TO A SERVANT, AND WISDOM AND PARABLES TO A SON, AND AS JOKES ARE GIVEN TO A FRIEND, SO I LOVE YOU IS SAID TO A BRIDE.

and: WHEN WE TALK TO GOD, GOD TALKS TO US……. WHEN WE LISTEN TO GOD, GOD LISTENS TO US!

and: THE BEST LISTENERS MAKE THE BEST TEACHERS.

and: THESE BITS OF WISDOM ARE LIKE DROPS OF WATER. I WILL SURELY GIVE YOU A POND FULL.

So again, my message is the He is the Word of God what we preach, and He has given me a pond full of these bits of wisdom. I have lots more of them from Him, and we talk often (everyday call Today). So that is what I tell people to do, but most won't have it!!

Never-the-less, He told me that there was a specific person posting on this thread that this thread was for. Of course, He cares about all posting here, but there was a person, which He did not tell me, that He felt this thread would actually turn them to Him and get them listening to Him. Is it you - I don't know because He didn't tell me that, but it is someone, and it could be anyone. You at least once wrote that prayer is a conversation with Him, and I wrote back explaining that if you really understand that you would understand all that I am trying to get through.

So if you understood that, do you not also have a pond full of these little bits of wisdom? King Solomon did, so we should also, right? If not, seek Him and listen to Him in prayer that is indeed a conversation with Him. That is how I got all of them, and more, like:

AS INSTRUCTIONS ARE GIVEN TO A SERVANT, AND WISDOM AND PARABLES TO A SON, AND AS JOKES ARE GIVEN TO A FRIEND, SO I LOVE YOU IS SAID TO A BRIDE.

So if you get instructions, you are a servant of His, If those bits of wisdom and parables, you are also like a son of His, and if you get Jokes from Him, they you are like a friend of His, and there is nothing better to me than to just hear Him say to me, "Karl, I love you." He says it sooo often, and it always gets me. So I got a joke from Him for you:

There are 3 chickens in the barnyard; a big fat chicken, a medium sized chicken, and a little bitty baby chicken. Which one does the fox go for?

The one farthest from the Dog, of course!

It doesn't matter if you are big fat Christian, or a medium sized Christian, or a little bitty baby Christian, that old fox is always going for the Christian farthest from God!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and: AS INSTRUCTIONS ARE GIVEN TO A SERVANT, AND WISDOM AND PARABLES TO A SON, AND AS JOKES ARE GIVEN TO A FRIEND, SO I LOVE YOU IS SAID TO A BRIDE.
Heard a comedian say that our wives want to hear us say we love them all the time.
Seems that can't remember us saying that when we were wed.
I only told my wife once that I love shrimp. She never forgot.
What's up with that?

and: WHEN WE TALK TO GOD, GOD TALKS TO US……. WHEN WE LISTEN TO GOD, GOD LISTENS TO US!
Lily Tomlin said, "When we talk to God, we are praying. When God talks to us, we are schizophrenic." - LOL

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your post.

WOW!!! I'm impressed!!!

And THANK YOU for the reproof - but perhaps I need to explain!!

On my walk with the Lord this morning I was talking with Him about this! We were going over this thread and these verses:

Prov 9: 8-10 Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you,
Reprove a wise man and he will love you.
Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser,
Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning.
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

I was telling Him about how everyone in the thread seems to hate me and nobody says 'thank you'.

I can not remember anyone every saying 'thank you' when I reprove them like He ask me to. I understand that accepting reproof is not easy for anyone, but since I have never heard it I was telling Him that I supposed that none of us are a wise man.

Then I come back make a post again, like something we also talked about, and I get a "Thank you", proving me wrong in my comment to him about nobody saying 'thank you' after a post reproving them and telling them to listen to Him.

I was wrong - there was someone wise!! Someone precious to the Lord! So I thank you for the reproof! It is very encouraging!! It reminds me of one of the bits of wisdom He told me and I post on the prior post to 'Bob Estey" which goes:

A MAN THAT LISTENS TO GOD IS AS RARE AS DIAMONDS IN THE ROCK.

It would of course apply to a man or woman. It clearly applies to you - God Bless you!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the Christian life a death march? Very few survive?
Does God make sport with our souls? Finding life in Him is a puzzle that few can solve?
Even those who compete can lose? And the losers will be destroyed?
Sounds sadistic.
I believe you'll find repentance is peace (Matthew 4:17).

So how does the Lord talk us into repenting?

Reactions: St. SteVen