When to Stop

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Five Solas are:
  1. Sola Scriptura (“Scripture alone”): The Bible alone is our highest authority.
  2. Sola Fide (“faith alone”): We are saved through faith alone in Jesus Christ.
  3. Sola Gratia (“grace alone”): We are saved by the grace of God alone.
  4. Solus Christus (“Christ alone”): Jesus Christ alone is our Lord, Savior, and King.
  5. Soli Deo Gloria (“to the glory of God alone”): We live for the glory of God alone.

Where do the solas come from? I like them!

Reactions: farouk
B

Butterfly

Yes,one who says repentance is a work says you are not saved if you believe it is necessary for salvation. This was my experience in a Christian ministry I was a part of in college.

But those who see repentance as a gift say if you do not believe it is necessary for salvation, you are not saved. That is my church teaching.

I can see the repentance gift as change of mind and the action as a work. Because thoughts lead to actions.

Just people I care about are on both sides and it is hard to think one side or the other is not saved. Then there is me, who has never heard repentance is a gift, not a work. Or so it seems like! So it boggled my mind a second. But I believe I know where I stand. I believe if you have a relationship with Jesus Christ that He died for Your sins, then you don't have to worry about anything else. He will guide Your way. The Gospel was meant to be simple enough for just a child to understand.
Trust in what you have discovered for yourself, and apply that to those you care about - trust in Jesus with regards to those people - trust in his knowledge of them and where they stand- theology differences tend to lead people to judge others and presume all kinds of things about them - I am not convinced that we were called to be judges , I believe that is the Lords role.
I understand the dilemmas , and emotions it can cause when those around us believe differently. I come from a non Christian family, but also have many Christian friends who have different views on things. I am on my journey, not theirs - I do not look upon my other Christian friends as being unsaved , they remain my brothers and sisters in Christ - and I have hope for my family , all the ins and outs I have to leave with the Lord.
Rita

Reactions: Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Five Solas are:
  1. Sola Scriptura (“Scripture alone”): The Bible alone is our highest authority.
  2. Sola Fide (“faith alone”): We are saved through faith alone in Jesus Christ.
  3. Sola Gratia (“grace alone”): We are saved by the grace of God alone.
  4. Solus Christus (“Christ alone”): Jesus Christ alone is our Lord, Savior, and King.
  5. Soli Deo Gloria (“to the glory of God alone”): We live for the glory of God alone.
Generally speaking, the Reformation signified getting back to the Bible. These are excellent, Scriptural summaries of doctrine. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The crazy thing is, a month ago I had no knowledge of the solas, till my catholic brother @historyb (Bob) lovingly brought them to my attention.
There are good, Scriptural summaries indeed; and although 'alone' is not a word found in Ephesians 2.8, yet the implication is there; such is the qualification 'not of works' in Ephesians 2.9.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Waiting on him FYI, as per your earlier post about the 'solas'

(and I guess, FYI, to @Mayflower also)

tumblr_lzreciObX31qehv2qo1_500.jpg
tumblr dot com

solus-christus.jpg

jeremyaffeldt dot wordpress dot com

9a0bb1361cf476944732012c8ab2dce1.jpg
pinterest dot com

2012-05-21_10-25-10_993.jpg
storiesbehindtheink dot blogspot dot com

th
checkoutmyink dot com
(Also posted on the ink thread)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Waiting on him FYI, as per your earlier post about the 'solas'

(and I guess, FYI, to @Mayflower also)

tumblr_lzreciObX31qehv2qo1_500.jpg
tumblr dot com

solus-christus.jpg

jeremyaffeldt dot wordpress dot com

9a0bb1361cf476944732012c8ab2dce1.jpg
pinterest dot com

2012-05-21_10-25-10_993.jpg
storiesbehindtheink dot blogspot dot com

th
checkoutmyink dot com
(Also posted on the ink thread)
The solas make Christ the center of focus, not man

Reactions: farouk

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When do you stop studying? Like digging deeper/excavating to see if something is true or not. I need to stop at confusion when it comes to different doctrines on God's Word. Or frustrated. It is very hard. I go back and forth on a lot of things. Anyone know when to stop? How deep do you go? How do you best resolve what you believe?

Right now salvation has been a topic I have been on regarding what repentance is and if it is necessary for salvation as a gift of grace or a work separate from salvation. But while salvation is one of those topics I like to be crystal on, I know I meddle in things that just leave me more frustrated then inspired by the Word of God.
I think pursuing knowledge can make us frustrated.

Ecclesiastes 1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

We can get carried away by curiosity and forget to apply those things we already know. When frustration comes, I'd suggest looking around to see what good deeds you can do others. That will cure the frustration and also put you in a better position on Judgment Day.

I like how Solomon ends that book:

Ecclesiastes 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

We can use the frustration when it comes as a reminder to love God and our neighbors. Good deeds are good fruit, indicating we're on the right track.
But see, this is where I overthink and need to stop and just rests in God.
Overthinking doesn't solve the frustration, does it? No amount of reading and thinking inspires true and quiet confidence. We must use what we have already been given, and when we see that working we can know we're on the right path.