When to Stop

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When do you stop studying? Like digging deeper/excavating to see if something is true or not. I need to stop at confusion when it comes to different doctrines on God's Word. Or frustrated. It is very hard. I go back and forth on a lot of things. Anyone know when to stop? How deep do you go? How do you best resolve what you believe?

Right now salvation has been a topic I have been on regarding what repentance is and if it is necessary for salvation as a gift of grace or a work separate from salvation. But while salvation is one of those topics I like to be crystal on, I know I meddle in things that just leave me more frustrated then inspired by the Word of God.
You can be assured of salvation when righteousness is a priority. When forgiveness and a hearts desire to do Gods will eclipses everything else. You build on the Rock with gold and silver. Every position requires testing and open, honest engagement with God.
Truths get deeper; the studying never stops building surely and securely on his word

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think pursuing knowledge can make us frustrated.

Ecclesiastes 1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

We can get carried away by curiosity and forget to apply those things we already know. When frustration comes, I'd suggest looking around to see what good deeds you can do others. That will cure the frustration and also put you in a better position on Judgment Day.

I like how Solomon ends that book:

Ecclesiastes 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

We can use the frustration when it comes as a reminder to love God and our neighbors. Good deeds are good fruit, indicating we're on the right track.
Overthinking doesn't solve the frustration, does it? No amount of reading and thinking inspires true and quiet confidence. We must use what we have already been given, and when we see that working we can know we're on the right path.

THIS. Thank you!!!! Think I need to make a trip to Ecclesiastes. Now there is a book I don't study much!!!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
THIS. Thank you!!!! Think I need to make a trip to Ecclesiastes. Now there is a book I don't study much!!!
Very interesting book, Ecclesiastes! :)

Good to read it in conjunction with what the New Testament reveals about the Lord Jesus as the wisdom of God (1 Corinthians 1.30).

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a book that tells you a lot about yourself when you are not serving God and following Him rather than your own ways and your own flesh. The things Solomon calls 'vanity' will be our result when we do our best all alone. With God in us, a different better result is possible. This is why God sent His Son. Our very best without Him is still death. Jesus brought Life.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know I can because the Bible says. But the battlefield of the mind is a constant battle.

Reactions: amadeus

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When do you stop studying? Like digging deeper/excavating to see if something is true or not. I need to stop at confusion when it comes to different doctrines on God's Word. Or frustrated. It is very hard. I go back and forth on a lot of things. Anyone know when to stop? How deep do you go? How do you best resolve what you believe?

Right now salvation has been a topic I have been on regarding what repentance is and if it is necessary for salvation as a gift of grace or a work separate from salvation. But while salvation is one of those topics I like to be crystal on, I know I meddle in things that just leave me more frustrated then inspired by the Word of God.
Trying to "resolve what you believe" is probably not a good idea.

Just ask.

Reactions: Mayflower

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask what exactly?
Life (God) presents us with all kinds of questions--your's is a good one: "When do you stop studying?"

Asking that of God will get you the best answer, the best direction, and insight. Each time we are in that situation things could be different: A time to dive in, a time to withdraw, a time to persevere, a time to glance and be quick, etc..

Reactions: marks and Mayflower

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The crazy thing is, a month ago I had no knowledge of the solas, till my catholic brother @historyb (Bob) lovingly brought them to my attention.
I wonder why a Catholic would bring the Five Solas to anyone's attention. The Catholic Counter-Reformation was all about rejecting and resisting them.

Anyhow, all evangelical and fundamental Christians can agree with them, since they are Bible-based.

Reactions: Waiting on him

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um....anyone see the irony in dragging out a negative conversation on a thread called “When to Stop”?

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must be kidding, right? Anyhow, you did not tell him that the proper name is Robert (if that's what it is).;)

I am not kidding at all I am of the Charismatic Episcopal Church and I never told the dude my name nor would I ever do that. I hearken from the old days of the internet were you never gave out personal information. I see people do it now and it still shocks me

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not kidding at all I am of the Charismatic Episcopal Church and I never told the dude my name nor would I ever do that. I hearken from the old days of the internet were you never gave out personal information. I see people do it now and it still shocks me

I agree. I do not like when people use my first name online and I made the mistake of giving it out to someone who likes to use it.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm unsure what you mean but it sounds as if you have an analytical mind. I have one and I have to keep pushing forward until my curiosity is satisfied or if I feel I've reached a level of peace about a matter. But I wrestle most days with one thing or another in Scripture. I think we also have to be on guard because Satan likes to wear out the saints and he has some power to be able to put suggestions into our minds. For instance: I had a terrible struggle with salvation because I was so afraid that if I became a Christian God would send me to some far off mission field. That may sound silly to mature believers but back then it scared me - and kept me from taking that step for awhile and I really wrestled with it. In that particular instance the source of wrestling didn't come from God.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When to Stop?

Hanging on mans word? Regularly.

Hanging on Gods Word? Never Stop.

Glory to God,
Taken