When was the last time....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Hey there everyone,

I have noticed a board full of strong opinions. Indeed, everyone who posts here regularly, appears convinced that their opinion is not opinion, at all, but a clear understanding of the teachings of scripture or the church. So, I am wondering, when was the last time you changed your opinion based on reading the strong opinion of someone's post on this board? How often has it happened? I think it is an important question to ask, because if you have never changed your understanding of scripture (opinion on scripture) chances are that no one has changed theirs either. If this is the case, we are all simply talking to ourselves - an example of the blind leading the blind, perhaps?
I think one of the BIGGEST reason people change their opinion on something religious is because when a person starts seeking God sincerely most go to a church rather than seeking Him by His Word, the Bible. That is a HUGE mistake. They are initially influenced by doctrines of men rather than God's Word.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

I think one of the BIGGEST reason people change their opinion on something religious is because when a person starts seeking God sincerely most go to a church rather than seeking Him by His Word, the Bible. That is a HUGE mistake. They are initially influenced by doctrines of men rather than God's Word.

Yes if one goes to the written Word to come to know God, he or she will still have only man’s/woman’s doctrine. The Written Word of God cannot bring one to know God.

(1 John 2:27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you, the anointing he gave teaches you everything; you are anointed with truth, not a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010

The Written Word of God cannot bring one to know God.
I strongly disagree.

(1 John 2:27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you, the anointing he gave teaches you everything; you are anointed with truth, not a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”
That doesn't mean we don't need to study His written Word. God's written Word is absolutely vital to learn about God.

Luke 4:4 (NKJV)
[sup]4 [/sup]But Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.' "

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
What I've discovered here, as on other Christian forums, is that those who do the most changing of their mind are those who had relied the most on men's doctrines outside God's Word which men playing religion have imparted to them instead of God's Truth in His Word which is simplicity.

Someone in a constant state of change about what they believe shows they have yet to come to the Truth in God's Word, but are still seeking what is Truth, whether they want to admit it or not. God's Word is not a Book of opinion, nor a Book of man's philosophy. There is no other form of literature on earth like God's Holy Writ. It is The Living Word of God, and reveals new things daily for every generation that believes. Those new things revealed may seem to be about change, but it is not. It's about the continued revealing of God's Plan of Salvation. New prophecies will be revealed and come to pass until Christ's second coming, and even leading into God's Eternity. But His Salvation will ever be the same.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[font="arial][size="2"]What I've discovered here, as on other Christian forums, is that those who do the most changing of their mind are those who had relied the most on men's doctrines outside God's Word which men playing religion have imparted to them instead of God's Truth in His Word which is simplicity.
[/size][/font]
Mmmm..

So it sounds like people who change their minds are weaker in their faith than people who find the simple truth of God and latch onto it.

If this is the case, then how do you know if your simple truth is the same simple truth of the gospel and not man's opinion?

Seems to me that as soon as you read and process anything from the Bible, it takes on some opinion, unless it is simply used to parrot back without thought. All we can have is on opinion about truth - only God can actually generate truth.

Someone in a constant state of change about what they believe shows they have yet to come to the Truth in God's Word, but are still seeking what is Truth, whether they want to admit it or not.

What I have noticed about the people who change their minds completely about any truth (one example is my sister - one day she is a Baptist - and in her mind has always been a Baptist, the next week she is a Pentecostal) have not processed the truth they have encountered in order to form an opinion about it. Therefore, the truth is never understood and remains like the seed planted in rocky soil and is easily disregarded and replaced.

God's Word is not a Book of opinion, nor a Book of man's philosophy.

Agreed - same with all God's creation; but if we do not know what the ocean is (for example) because we are not allowed to understand it (process it in our minds and form an opinion about it) how it is going to become apart of our experience? It cannot - it simply remains an object with a name. Wheat is good, but it cannot used by the body if it is not processed and turned into eatable food - bread is an opinion an expression of wheat; just like our opinion of scripture is the usable form and expression of God's Word. The problem I have with your idea is that it seems to be promoting an anti-intellectualism position - that somehow, we need to only be able to parrot back God's Word, in an unprocessed form (if that were even possible) and if we stray from a perfect performance of regurgitating the pure Word, it would be tarnished and become simply "man's opinion", without any resemblance of God's Truth. In my opinion, your position is perfectionistic in theory and impossible to achieve in practice; and finally, even if it was possible, it would not be useful.

There is no other form of literature on earth like God's Holy Writ. It is The Living Word of God, and reveals new things daily for every generation that believes.

I disagree. If we are not allowed to think about it and form an opinion about it, God's Word ends up being treated like a dead doctrine with nothing to offer but an arcane, memorized, snap shot of an event in history that ended 2000 years ago. Here is an interesting example; the Amish read from a Bible that is written in an ancient form of their own language (sort of like us reading Beowulf), which they can parrot back perfectly, but cannot understand. This practice, which was instituted to protect, ended up becoming totally useless - the irony is that they first translated their version from the Vulgate because their ancestors realized that the Latin was not accessible to the common person.

Those new things revealed may seem to be about change, but it is not. It's about the continued revealing of God's Plan of Salvation. New prophecies will be revealed and come to pass until Christ's second coming, and even leading into God's Eternity. But His Salvation will ever be the same.

All requiring thought and processing, to be understood and useful.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

I strongly disagree.

That doesn't mean we don't need to study His written Word. God's written Word is absolutely vital to learn about God.

Luke 4:4 (NKJV)
[sup]4 [/sup]But Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.' "

You quoted a verse that proves my point. You see the bible is not even anywhere near every Word of God. You see Jesus speaks to me all the time, and I live on those Words.

Have you ever read what Paul said about this subject?

(1 Corinthians 2:10-16) “These are the very things that God has revealed to us through the Spirit, for the Spirit reaches the depts. Of everything, even the depths of God. After all, the depths of a man can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other man, and in the same way the depths of God can only be known by the Spirit of God. Now instead of the spirit of the world, we have received the Spirit that comes from God, to teach us tounderstand the gifts that he has given us. Therefore we teach, not in the way in which philosophy is taught, but inthe way that the Spirit teaches us: we teach spiritual things spiritually. A spiritual man, on the other hand, is able to judge the value of everything and his own value in not to be judged by other men. As scripture says;’ who can know the mind of the Lord, so who can teach him?’ But we are those who have the mind of Christ.”

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
God gave us His Word to guide us safely into His Kingdom.

Psalm 119:105 (NKJV)
[sup]105 [/sup]Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

The Word of God is part of our armor. Without it Satan will destroy us.

Ephesians 6:11 (NKJV)
[sup]11 [/sup]Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Ephesians 6:17 (NKJV)
[sup]17 [/sup]And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
God gave us His Word to guide us safely into His Kingdom.

Psalm 119:105 (NKJV)
[sup]105 [/sup]Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

The Word of God is part of our armor. Without it Satan will destroy us.

[sup]11 [/sup]Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

[sup]17 [/sup]And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

You quoted all Old Testament verses, and you could be right for those people. The Word did not work for them. They all died in their sins. Jesus came to defeat Satan/sin, and he gave us his Holy Spirit to make sure Satan could not defeat his people.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
You quoted all Old Testament verses, and you could be right for those people. The Word did not work for them. They all died in their sins. Jesus came to defeat Satan/sin, and he gave us his Holy Spirit to make sure Satan could not defeat his people.
Eph is not OT. Besides, OT certainly can apply.

You just quoted I Cor. Is that not the Word of God?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Eph is not OT. Besides, OT certainly can apply.

You just quoted I Cor. Is that not the Word of God?

Com'mon Ducky - surely you know that Thankful is a one trick pony by now? Check with Christ like a magic 8 ball - ok got it!

Please guys don't derail my thread!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
[/size]Com'mon Ducky - surely you know that Thankful is a one trick pony by now? Check with Christ like a magic 8 ball - ok got it![/size] Please guys don't derail my thread!

Sorry Aspen, it's just so easy to get drawn off topic : )

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
[/size]

Com'mon Ducky - surely you know that Thankful is a one trick pony by now? Check with Christ like a magic 8 ball - ok got it![/size]

Please guys don't derail my thread!

I tell people not to listen to what man teaches him or her about God, now granted I am presuming that I am talking to people who have been baptized with the Holy Spirit. What I am about to share is not meant for baby Christians, Christians who are not yet spiritual.

Scripture tell us that Jesus calls his people out by name and leads them. Scripture also tells us that the Holy Spirit will teach us every thing, so why would anyone let any person teach him or her about God?

(John 10:1-5)"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."

If Jesus has not called you out by name, are you one of his?

Do you let only the Holy Spirit/Jesus teach you about God?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I tell people not to listen to what man teaches him or her about God, now granted I am presuming that I am talking to people who have been baptized with the Holy Spirit. What I am about to share is not meant for baby Christians, Christians who are not yet spiritual.

Scripture tell us that Jesus calls his people out by name and leads them. Scripture also tells us that the Holy Spirit will teach us every thing, so why would anyone let any person teach him or her about God?
(John 10:1-5)"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."

If Jesus has not called you out by name, are you one of his?

Do you let only the Holy Spirit/Jesus teach you about God?

If what you are trying to teach us is true then why isn't it wrong for you to teach us?

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

If what you are trying to teach us is true then why isn't it wrong for you to teach us?

I am not a teacher. My job is to give a word. If you notice my signature it says no matter who tells you anything about God you are to ask Jesus if it is right or wrong.

I can only share my understanding of what Jesus has taught me. I don’t have the ability to be able to make anyone understand what I have been taught. Only God has that ability. So people need to have God teach them about God.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I am not a teacher. My job is to give a word. If you notice my signature it says no matter who tells you anything about God you are to ask Jesus if it is right or wrong.

I can only share my understanding of what Jesus has taught me. I don’t have the ability to be able to make anyone understand what I have been taught. Only God has that ability. So people need to have God teach them about God.

You're not trying to teach us? Somehow that seems very inconsistent.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Because most people do not want to be taught either by God or by man. Therein lies the path of foolishness and the way to destruction.

For narrow is the gate, and straitened the way, that leadeth unto life, and few be they that find it.
Mat 7:14

Most do not wish to learn because they are lazy or because they just want to argue.

For the time will come when they will not endure the sound doctrine; but, having itching ears, will heap to themselves teachers after their own lusts;

2Ti 4:3

"Most people in the world are reluctant to form their own opinions on the basis of a personal study of anything, and they usually accept the views of those whose opinions they value. This mental laziness is an unfortunate characteristic of men and women in the United States too. ."

- Franko Vadodrano
September 11: The Inevitable Disaster: Why America Is Being Destroyed