Where did Jesus go when he died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did Jesus go when he died?

Jesus’ “living soul” departed His dead “body” and went to Hell, (as did all “living souls” departed out of their dead body’s.)

Jesus’ “dead body” was “taken” off the cross, (by bodily alive men), carried to a cave (by bodily alive men) and buried in said cave, (by bodily alive men), as was a usual custom to bury dead body’s.

According to Mosaic Law; for 3 days and 3 nights Jesus’ “living soul” remained in Hell, left Hell, and returned to His “dead body” in said cave.

After Jesus’ “living soul” was in Hell for “3 days and 3 nights (according to Mosaic Law) Jesus’ “living soul” return-ED to His “dead body”.
Upon Jesus’ “living soul” returning to His dead body, His dead body “revived” and His dead body was “AGAIN” alive, and exited the cave.

Glory to God,
Taken
Bingo
...as vividly declared in scripture

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bingo
...as vividly declared in scripture

When Lord Jesus spirit was united with his body, he was a "living soul." (Genesis 2:7).
Genesis 2:7 (WEB) Yahweh God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

When Lord Jesus died on the cross, his body was dead, but he entrusted "his spirit" to God (Luke 23:26).
Luke 23:46 (Young's Literal Translation) 46 and having cried with a loud voice, Jesus said, `Father, to Thy hands I commit my spirit;' and these things having said, he breathed forth the spirit.

When Lord Jesus' body was re-united with his body on the 3rd day, he once again became a living soul (John 20:17).
John 20:17 (WEB) 17 Jesus said to her, “Don’t hold me, for I haven’t yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

When Lord Jesus ascended to heaven 40 days after his resurrection from the dead, his body was changed into a glorified spirit body fit for the heavenly kingdom - the same kind of body all believers receive at the resurrection.

1 Timothy 3:16 (WEB) Without controversy, the mystery of godliness is great: God was revealed in the flesh, justified in the spirit, seen by angels, preached among the nations, believed on in the world, and received up in glory.

1 Corinthians 15:42-46 (WEB)
42 So also is the {{{{{Resurrection of the Dead}}}}}.
The body is sown perishable; it is raised imperishable.
43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory.
It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power.
44 It is sown a {{{natural body}}}; it is raised a {{{spiritual body}}}.
There is a {{{natural body}}} and there is also a {{{spiritual body}}}.
45 So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became {{{a living soul}}}.”
The last Adam became a {{{life-giving spirit.}}}
46 However {{{that which is spiritual isn’t first}}}, but {{{that which is natural}}}, {{{then}}} {{{that which is spiritual.}}}

In our present earthly bodies we are living souls, but at death our spirts separate from our bodies to be with the Lord.

Acts 7:59 (WEB) 59 They stoned Stephen as he called out, saying, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!

Luke 23:46 (WEB) 46 Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!

1 Corinthians 14:32 (WEB) 32 The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets

2 Corinthians 5:6-9 (EWEB) 6 Therefore we are always confident and know that while we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord; 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are courageous, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord. 9 Therefore also we make it our aim, whether at home or absent, to be well pleasing to him.

What we will become AFTER the Resurrection of the Dead, are spirits living in spiritual bodies, like unto Christ Jesus' glorious spiritual body.

1 Corinthians 15:45-46 (WEB)
The last Adam became a {{{life-giving spirit.}}}
46 However {{{that which is spiritual isn’t first}}}, but {{{that which is natural}}}, {{{then}}} {{{that which is spiritual.}}}

Philippians 3:21 (KJV) Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his {{{glorious}}} body
, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're jumping to conclusions. Did you forget 2 Corinthians 5:8? Same idea as a born again child of God when he dies his spirit goes to be with his Lord!! "To be absent from the body IS (present tense) to be present with the Lord."

The term, "preach to the spirits in hades" meant that at one time those who were elected to salvation, were also under the term "the gates of hell." Since Jesus was born in the New testament side, He had to dispatch His holy prophets to preach in the Old testament and thus is able to bring to heaven some that where in hades, after His resurrection.

Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

To God Be The Glory

I agree with all you wrote, but how does what you wrote mean that I was jumping to conclusions in the following:

setst777 said:
Yes, Lord Jesus commended his spirit to God, but we cannot assume that God could not or would not give the spirit of Lord Jesus the authority to preach to the spirits in hades before his resurrection, and glorification at the right hand of God.

When Lord Jesus spirit was united with his body, he was a "living soul." (Genesis 2:7).
Genesis 2:7 (WEB) Yahweh God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

When Lord Jesus died on the cross, his body was dead, but he entrusted "his spirit" to God (Luke 23:26).
Luke 23:46 (Young's Literal Translation) 46 and having cried with a loud voice, Jesus said, `Father, to Thy hands I commit my spirit;' and these things having said, he breathed forth the spirit.

While Lord Jesus was still in the spirit, he preached to the spirits in Hades.

1 Peter 3:18-19 (WEB) 18 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring you to God, being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit, 19 in whom he also went and preached to the spirits in prison

Luke 23:43 (WEB) 43 Jesus said to him, “Assuredly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”

When Lord Jesus' body was re-united with his body on the 3rd day, he once again became a living soul (John 20:17).
John 20:17 (WEB) 17 Jesus said to her, “Don’t hold me, for I haven’t yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

When Lord Jesus ascended to heaven 40 days after his resurrection from the dead, his body was changed into a glorified spirit body fit for the heavenly kingdom - the same kind of body all believers receive at the resurrection.

1 Timothy 3:16 (WEB) Without controversy, the mystery of godliness is great: God was revealed in the flesh, justified in the spirit, seen by angels, preached among the nations, believed on in the world, and received up in glory.

1 Corinthians 15:42-46 (WEB)
42 So also is the {{{{{Resurrection of the Dead}}}}}.
The body is sown perishable; it is raised imperishable.

43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory.
It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power.

44 It is sown a {{{natural body}}}; it is raised a {{{spiritual body}}}.
There is a {{{natural body}}} and there is also a {{{spiritual body}}}.

The last Adam became a {{{life-giving spirit.
}}}

In our present earthly bodies we are living souls, but at death our spirts separate from our bodies to be with the Lord.

Acts 7:59 (WEB) 59 They stoned Stephen as he called out, saying, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!

Luke 23:46 (WEB) 46 Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!

1 Corinthians 14:32 (WEB) 32 The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets

2 Corinthians 5:6-9 (WEB) 6 Therefore we are always confident and know that while we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord; 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are courageous, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord. 9 Therefore also we make it our aim, whether at home or absent, to be well pleasing to him.

What we will become AFTER the Resurrection of the Dead, are spirits living in spiritual bodies, like unto Christ Jesus' glorious spiritual body.

1 Corinthians 15:45-46 (WEB)
The last Adam became a {{{life-giving spirit.
}}}

Philippians 3:21 (KJV) Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his {{{glorious}}} body
, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Last edited: