Where did Jesus go when he died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, where did Jesus go when he died? Simple answer: Jesus didn’t go anywhere when he died. He was dead in the tomb.

We read in Isaiah’s prophecy that Jesus “poured out His soul unto death,” that His soul was made “an offering for sin.” (Isaiah 53:12, 10.) Then again we read, “Thou wilt not leave my soul in Sheol [meaning the grave (sometimes mistranslated hell)]; neither wilt Thou suffer Thine Holy One to see corruption.” (Psalm 16:10.) The Apostle Peter quoted this same prophesy in Acts 2:27 (NKJV), “For You will not leave my (Jesus’) soul in Hades, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption,” Acts 2:27 (NKJV). These two verses prove the equivalency that sheol (Hebrew) = hades (Greek). But what is the condition of death or sheol or hades?

Jesus’ friend, Lazarus, was ill. Jesus said to his disciples, “‘Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.’ Then His disciples said, ‘Lord, if he sleeps he will get well,’” John 11:11,12 (NKJV). Jesus finally spoke plainly, and said, “ Lazarus is dead,” John 11:14.

The sleep of death is explained in the Old Testament, “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in the grave (Sheol) where you are going,” Ecclesiastes 9:10. Jesus was in the grave, in the “sleep of death,” (sheol or hades) parts of three days.

It states in Ephesians 1:20 that it took God’s mighty power to raise Jesus from the dead, and set him at His own right hand. What a joy to know that Jesus did not remain in the death-state but was raised the firstborn from the dead. Because of this, we all have the hope of a resurrection in due time. (John 5:25-29; 1 Corinthians 15)

In summary, the man Christ Jesus, our Savior, died at 33½ years, was dead, buried in the grave for parts of three days, and was resurrected on the third day.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
In summary, the man Christ Jesus, our Savior, died at 33½ years, was dead, buried in the grave for parts of three days, and was resurrected on the third day.
Luk 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, where did Jesus go when he died? Simple answer: Jesus didn’t go anywhere when he died. He was dead in the tomb.

We read in Isaiah’s prophecy that Jesus “poured out His soul unto death,” that His soul was made “an offering for sin.” (Isaiah 53:12, 10.) Then again we read, “Thou wilt not leave my soul in Sheol [meaning the grave (sometimes mistranslated hell)]; neither wilt Thou suffer Thine Holy One to see corruption.” (Psalm 16:10.) The Apostle Peter quoted this same prophesy in Acts 2:27 (NKJV), “For You will not leave my (Jesus’) soul in Hades, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption,” Acts 2:27 (NKJV). These two verses prove the equivalency that sheol (Hebrew) = hades (Greek). But what is the condition of death or sheol or hades?

Jesus’ friend, Lazarus, was ill. Jesus said to his disciples, “‘Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.’ Then His disciples said, ‘Lord, if he sleeps he will get well,’” John 11:11,12 (NKJV). Jesus finally spoke plainly, and said, “ Lazarus is dead,” John 11:14.

The sleep of death is explained in the Old Testament, “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in the grave (Sheol) where you are going,” Ecclesiastes 9:10. Jesus was in the grave, in the “sleep of death,” (sheol or hades) parts of three days.

It states in Ephesians 1:20 that it took God’s mighty power to raise Jesus from the dead, and set him at His own right hand. What a joy to know that Jesus did not remain in the death-state but was raised the firstborn from the dead. Because of this, we all have the hope of a resurrection in due time. (John 5:25-29; 1 Corinthians 15)

Only that part of Christ's living soul that went into the tomb was His physical body. And as Stumpmaster has shown us the spirit, or that part of His living soul that gave physical life to His mortal body, returned to God who gave it.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

When we try to discern what became of Jesus when He physically died, it is imperative that we learn what happened to His whole "living soul" which consists of both a physical body and a spirit. You focus only on what became of His body and seem to forget that every living soul has both body and spirit. Because when the body of every human dies and returns to the dust, the spirit of every human returns to God in heaven still a living soul, albeit without physical form that returns to dust.

It is in knowing that when his body physically died, Paul looked forward to becoming a spiritual body in the Kingdom of God in heaven. Which is why he says, "to be absent from the body (physical) and to be present with the Lord." That's also why Paul writes, "It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body."

Every man who desires to be a living soul belonging to a spiritual body in heaven, MUST before physical death turn to Christ by grace through faith by the power of the Holy Spirit when they hear the Gospel proclaimed.

Reactions: rebuilder 454

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only that part of Christ's living soul that went into the tomb was His physical body. And as Stumpmaster has shown us the spirit, or that part of His living soul that gave physical life to His mortal body, returned to God who gave it.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

When we try to discern what became of Jesus when He physically died, it is imperative that we learn what happened to His whole "living soul" which consists of both a physical body and a spirit. You focus only on what became of His body and seem to forget that every living soul has both body and spirit. Because when the body of every human dies and returns to the dust, the spirit of every human returns to God in heaven still a living soul, albeit without physical form that returns to dust.

It is in knowing that when his body physically died, Paul looked forward to becoming a spiritual body in the Kingdom of God in heaven. Which is why he says, "to be absent from the body (physical) and to be present with the Lord." That's also why Paul writes, "It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body."

Every man who desires to be a living soul belonging to a spiritual body in heaven, MUST before physical death turn to Christ by grace through faith by the power of the Holy Spirit when they hear the Gospel proclaimed.

Lev 17:11 For the life (nephesh) of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls (nephesh) for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul (nephesh)

The word translated life in verse 11 is the Hebrew word (nephesh) = soul
The soul of the flesh is in the blood. There is no immortality to the soul

1Co 15:50 states that flesh and blood which are both corruptible cannot inherit the kingdom of God…

I know it’s imbedded…. but we really have to get away from the religious teaching about the soul… and adhere to what the Word states … Not the trash that Plato popularized and “the church” adopted and was weaved it into both secular and religion. There just is no truth about any immortality to the soul in the Word of God….only spirit

Reactions: Aunty Jane

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lev 17:11 For the life (nephesh) of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls (nephesh) for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul (nephesh)

The word translated life in verse 11 is the Hebrew word (nephesh) = soul
The soul of the flesh is in the blood. There is no immortality to the soul

1Co 15:50 states that flesh and blood which are both corruptible cannot inherit the kingdom of God…

I know it’s imbedded…. but we really have to get away from the religious teaching about the soul… and adhere to what the Word states … Not the trash that Plato popularized and “the church” adopted and was weaved it into both secular and religion. There just is no truth about any immortality to the soul in the Word of God….only spirit

Scripture tells us there are souls alive after physical death. How can that be if the spirit does not live on after physical death and called a soul without human form? Having a soul is to have life in some form. It is the spirit (breath of life) which gives our body of flesh life as a "living soul." In heaven the spirit in man continues to live without form a spiritual body of believers in heaven as souls. Because where there is life, whether physical or spiritual there is a living soul.

Revelation 6:9 (KJV) And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

Revelation 20:4 (KJV) And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

I have no idea of what Plato may or may not have popularized! It matters not to me, because what I have come to understand regarding the spirit and body of man is called a living soul, and when the physical part of man dies, the spirit indwelt with the Spirit of Christ lives on in heaven a spiritual body still a living soul, comes from the Scriptures.

When Paul writes flesh and blood cannot enter the Kingdom of God, it is because the flesh with it's blood is mortal and destined to death. Paul does not say that immortal flesh cannot inherit the Kingdom of God, because all who are saved by grace through faith when Christ returns shall be physically resurrected immortal & incorruptible and made alive again through the eternal spiritual body of believers returns with Christ from heaven and together the immortal physical body with the eternal spirit together shall once again become complete "living souls". That's why Christ tells us those who live and believe in Him shall never die. Only our physical body dies and returns to the dust, but our spirit with His Spirit has eternal life and shall NEVER die.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 (KJV) For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

John 11:26 (KJV) And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

It's clear that Paul wasn't speaking of immortal flesh with life through the blood, because there were witnesses to Christ physically ascending to heaven. His body had been resurrected immortal and incorruptible which is what opened heaven physically to Him, and shall make the Kingdom of God open to us. But the Kingdom of God when man is made whole again will not be in heaven but on the NEW earth.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus body was in the tomb, but His soul and Spirit went to sheol/hades/hell/paradise. As Jude said when He died He went to preach to the sould in prison to anno0unce His blood had been shed and their sins which were covered by the blood of bulls and goats were now forgiven and removed.

Man is a body, soul and spirit as Paul the Apostle declared.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
1Peter3:18-20, according to this quote, Jesus being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit. In which He went down and proclaimed redemption to the spirits in prison. These spirits who formerly did not obey, and when GOD's patience waited in the days of Noah. While the ark was being prepared, ......

To come to think about it, Salvation was not only for the disobedience people on earth, but also for the disobedience spirits in Heaven. On the other hand, we're witnessing there is another realm, where these spirits a remanded in custody before judgement day and eternal separation.

Reactions: Truthnightmare

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Where did Jesus go when he died?"

He clearly told us.

Luke 23
43 And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.
Don’t you find it somewhat strange ....that Jesus would go to a place that doesn’t exist yet.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t you find it somewhat strange ....that Jesus would go to a place that doesn’t exist yet.
He went to the same place that is described in the story of the rich man and Lazarus .
Abraham's bosom, or Paradise.
the Bible says he descended to that place when he gave up his Spirit on the cross

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He went to the same place that is described in the story of the rich man and Lazarus .
Abraham's bosom, or Paradise.
the Bible says he descended to that place when he gave up his Spirit on the cross

I was referring to Paradise …. I wasn’t referring to some imaginary place of Abrahams bosom, which you then associate with Paradise. That comes from religious fairy tales.

Paradise is Paradise ….it’s not heaven…. it’s not Abrahams bosom …. Biblically there are three heavens in the Word. Atmospheric, Celestial, and where God …. Jesus and angels reside.

Abrahams bosom … that is part of a parable that people make up stories about which are contradictory to the Word of God.

If you take Luke 16:19-31 at face value there are multiple scripture it would contradict …and Gods word does not contradict itself. The only way around that is to ignore those scripture in favor of your beliefs.

Verse 19 of Luke starts out “There was a certain rich man” Now take a look at Luke chapter 16:1. “There was a certain rich man”…. Starting midway through chapter 14 and ending in chapter 16 verse 31 Jesus is…. teaching by way of parables….. Some say it can’t be a parable due to personal names being used which are not used in other parables. And then people attach their own meanings and embellish this section with their religious belief ….

A parable is a comparison by sustained resemblance; it is an extended simile. The likeness or resemblance must be sought from the entire context. They generally express an abstract argument by means of using a concrete narrative…

This (parable) is addressed to the Pharisees (verse 14). The Pharisees, who believed in rewards and punishment immediately after death…..

Jesus told this to the Pharisees in light of their Talmudic traditions and beliefs. It was from their beliefs that is coined the phrase “Abraham’s Bosom” as one of several afterlife locations. Jesus uses the parable to condemn the Pharisees and catch them in their own erroneous belief.
His intention was not to contradict the entire Old Testament by teaching survival after death. His primary intention was to show that the Pharisees were so evil that even if someone rose from the dead they still wouldn’t listen to him …Luk 16:31 If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.…..

Pharisees traditions

The Pharisees traditions can be found in the Talmud. Their traditions were passed down by many of the early Christian writings* and…. Greek Apocryphal books of the 1st and 2nd century BC (also contained them.)

*John Lightfoot, in…. “A Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Hebraica …. documents their beliefs. (Vol xi, pp, 165 -167 & vol xii, pp 159-168)

*Alfred Edersheim in “The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah” refers to these same traditions concerning death and the afterlife.

*Bullinger, E.W. 1960 “selected writings” He devotes three pages of the pharisees' tradition on afterlife.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIM ???
Or what translators gave the appearance of what He said.

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, [the malefactor] Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

We know from scripture that upon death Jesus was entombed for 3 days and 3 nights …Jesus did not go to paradise; He was in the grave….. So something cannot be right with this verse in Luke …. otherwise we have to make up things to allow this to fit.

Knowing that punctuation, chapters, verses marking, chapter headings … were added by translators, they are not God breathed and they are not always accurate ….sometimes swayed by their beliefs other times just mistakes… Luk 23:43 is a good example.

If you remove the comma from after thee and place it after to day you will have an accurate rendering of verse 43….which then aligns with the entirety of the written Word.

43. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee To day, thou shalt be with me in paradise.

I say unto thee was a common idiom that is used frequently throughout the Word of God. (14X in the gospels)

Paradise is someplace here on earth and will exist when Jesus returns as King of Kings and Lord of Lords …here on earth. Paradise is not heaven ….and neither Jesus nor the malefactor went there upon death. But the malefactor will be in Paradise with Jesus…. when that time comes.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIM ???

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, [the malefactor] Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

We know from scripture that upon death Jesus was entombed for 3 days and 3 nights …Jesus did not go to paradise; He was in the grave….. So something cannot be right with this verse in Luke …. otherwise we have to make up things to allow this to fit.

Knowing that punctuation, chapters, verses marking, chapter headings … were added by translators, they are not God breathed and they are not always accurate ….sometimes swayed by their beliefs other times just mistakes… Luk 23:43 is a good example.

If you remove the comma from after thee and place it after to day you will have an accurate rendering of verse 43….which then aligns with the entirety of the written Word.

43. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee To day, thou shalt be with me in paradise.

I say unto thee was a common idiom that is used frequently throughout the Word of God. (14X in the gospels)

Paradise is someplace here on earth and will exist when Jesus returns as King of Kings and Lord of Lords …here on earth. Paradise is not heaven ….and neither Jesus nor the malefactor went there upon death. But the malefactor will be in Paradise with Jesus…. when that time comes.
Pure baloney.
Nope nope nope

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was referring to Paradise …. I wasn’t referring to some imaginary place of Abrahams bosom, which you then associate with Paradise. That comes from religious fairy tales.

Paradise is Paradise ….it’s not heaven…. it’s not Abrahams bosom …. Biblically there are three heavens in the Word. Atmospheric, Celestial, and where God …. Jesus and angels reside.

Abrahams bosom … that is part of a parable that people make up stories about which are contradictory to the Word of God.

If you take Luke 16:19-31 at face value there are multiple scripture it would contradict …and Gods word does not contradict itself. The only way around that is to ignore those scripture in favor of your beliefs.

Verse 19 of Luke starts out “There was a certain rich man” Now take a look at Luke chapter 16:1. “There was a certain rich man”…. Starting midway through chapter 14 and ending in chapter 16 verse 31 Jesus is…. teaching by way of parables….. Some say it can’t be a parable due to personal names being used which are not used in other parables. And then people attach their own meanings and embellish this section with their religious belief ….

A parable is a comparison by sustained resemblance; it is an extended simile. The likeness or resemblance must be sought from the entire context. They generally express an abstract argument by means of using a concrete narrative…

This (parable) is addressed to the Pharisees (verse 14). The Pharisees, who believed in rewards and punishment immediately after death…..

Jesus told this to the Pharisees in light of their Talmudic traditions and beliefs. It was from their beliefs that is coined the phrase “Abraham’s Bosom” as one of several afterlife locations. Jesus uses the parable to condemn the Pharisees and catch them in their own erroneous belief.
His intention was not to contradict the entire Old Testament by teaching survival after death. His primary intention was to show that the Pharisees were so evil that even if someone rose from the dead they still wouldn’t listen to him …Luk 16:31 If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.…..

Pharisees traditions

The Pharisees traditions can be found in the Talmud. Their traditions were passed down by many of the early Christian writings* and…. Greek Apocryphal books of the 1st and 2nd century BC (also contained them.)

*John Lightfoot, in…. “A Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Hebraica …. documents their beliefs. (Vol xi, pp, 165 -167 & vol xii, pp 159-168)

*Alfred Edersheim in “The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah” refers to these same traditions concerning death and the afterlife.

*Bullinger, E.W. 1960 “selected writings” He devotes three pages of the pharisees' tradition on afterlife.
Bible blows all that apart.

Reactions: Jack

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He said to the man next to him on the cross "TODAY YOU WILL BE IN PARADISE". That is where He went. Luke 16 explains that there were two locations after death, Hades, (the underworld) and Paradise, separated by a great gulf/chasm. The story about the Rich man and Lazarus was not a parable. Parables never use names of real people nor dud Jesus fictionalize abstract locations that don't exist to symbolically mean something in real life. Abraham was there and those who lived by faith. He would greet you with a hug next to his bosom. Jesus went there and upon His resurrection, heaven opened and he took them all to heaven. His sacrificial atonement was imputed to all the Old Testament saints.
Jesus' body was in the tomb, but not His spirit. So if this is coming from a JW, well that explains your error. Or if it is coming from a SDA, wrong too.

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Peter3:18-20, according to this quote, Jesus being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit. In which He went down and proclaimed redemption to the spirits in prison. These spirits who formerly did not obey, and when GOD's patience waited in the days of Noah. While the ark was being prepared, ......

To come to think about it, Salvation was not only for the disobedience people on earth, but also for the disobedience spirits in Heaven. On the other hand, we're witnessing there is another realm, where these spirits a remanded in custody before judgement day and eternal separation.
There is not one whit of biblical evidence that the rebellious Cherubs, Seraphs and angles have a chance of salvation. That is opinion not based on any biblical evidence.

Reactions: TheHC

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that Jesus went to the realm of the dead, which had paradise, and prison within the confines.

Yes, his body was in the grave, however his soul departed from earth, and he was in paradise with the thief, who believed on him. He also traveled from the Paradise part, and went to preach a message to those who died long ago.

Christ’s Suffering and Ours​

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring [a]us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, [b]when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIM ???

His body was in the grave, not Jesus.

So your argument is that the Bible is wrong and you are right. What are your credentials?

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the following is true, which I believe it is, then it would answer the original question.

1. Returning to 1Pet. 3:19, the expression "the spirits in prison" cannot be understood apart form the whole context. The passage commences with the word "For" (v. 17), and is introduced as the reason why "it is better, if the will of God should (so) will, to suffer for well-doing, than for evil-doing. FOR (v. 18) Christ also suffered for sins once (Gr. hapax) - a Just One for unjust ones - in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death indeed as to [His] flesh, but made alive as to [His] spirit." This can refer only to His spiritual resurrection body (1Cor. 15:45). In death His body was put in the grave (or sepulcher, i.e. Hades), Acts 2:31; but His spirit was "commended to God". Not until His spirit was reunited to the body in resurrection could He go elsewhere. And then He went not to "Gehenna", or back to Hades but to Tartarus (2Pet. 2:4. See Ap. 131. III), where "the angels who sinned" had been "delivered into chains". To these He proclaimed His victory.

2. The word rendered "preached" is not the usual word euangelizo (Ap. 121. 4), but the emphatic word kerusso (Ap. 121. 1); which means to proclaim as a herald. Even so Christ heralded His victory over death, and the proclamation of this reached to the utmost bounds of creation.
    It was "better" THEREFORE to suffer for well doing than for evil doing. He had suffered for well doing. He suffered, but He had a glorious triumph. "Therefore" (runs the exhortation), "if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye" (vs. 14), and it concludes "Forasmuch then as Christ suffered on our behalf as to the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind; for He that hath suffered in the flesh hath done with sin; no longer to live [our] remaining time according to men's lusts, but for God's will... For to this end, to those also who are now dead, were the glad tidings announced, that though (Gr. men) they might be judged according [to the will of] (*2) men, in [the] flesh, yet (Gr. de) they might live [again] according to [the will of] God, in [the] spirit" : i.e. in resurrection (1Pet. 4:1, 2, 6). ~ EW Bullinger