Where did we get The Bible? - A IN-DEPTH STUDY

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough. I would say the Jerome also quotes pagan authors that no Christian would cite as authoritative such as Cicero. A familiarity of said texts does not equal they are the authoritative God Breatheed Scripture.
The apocryphal writings are important and we read them as part of our liturgy. Yet those books are not considered part of the canon of Holy Scripture.

That said there so much thr Church of Rome gets right namely her Christology and her for the most part her history. For that i am immensely thankful . While I’m not Roman, I am catholic. I am reformed Anglican (traditional ) and probably the only one you’ll ever meet. So I'm not anti-catholic as you assume but I am pro history and pro catholic.
As a reader, I want to say "thank you" for the considerable amount of time and effort you put into your replies on this thread.
It didn't look like you were getting much encouragement. (reaction votes) I'm probably not alone in my appreciation of you.

Reactions: Athanasius377

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough. I would say the Jerome also quotes pagan authors that no Christian would cite as authoritative such as Cicero. A familiarity of said texts does not equal they are the authoritative God Breatheed Scripture.
The apocryphal writings are important and we read them as part of our liturgy. Yet those books are not considered part of the canon of Holy Scripture.

That said there so much thr Church of Rome gets right namely her Christology and her for the most part her history. For that i am immensely thankful . While I’m not Roman, I am catholic. I am reformed Anglican (traditional ) and probably the only one you’ll ever meet. So I'm not anti-catholic as you assume but I am pro history and pro catholic.
The difference is that Jerome didn't use Cicero or any other non-Biblical writing to substantiate Christian doctrine.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Topics like historicity, authenticity, original languages, manuscript evidence, inspiration issues, consistency, translations, transmissions, support texts, error and infallibility, contextual understanding (and much more) play a key role in how th eBible content will be understood and ultimately received by each reader.
Precious friends, no, these do not do as said above, but, by these Bible study Rules, with The
Blessed Holy Spirit As The Teacher, then "
one can understand and receive the content" of
God's Pure And Preserved Word.

Also see:

Handling The Word Of Life

Amen.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friends, no, these do not do as said above, but, by these Bible study Rules, with The
Blessed Holy Spirit As The Teacher, then "
one can understand and receive the content" of
God's Pure And Preserved Word.

Also see:

Handling The Word Of Life

Amen.
Its true traditions and not seeking after truth can lead to division; the the ultimate divisin breaker is can one love through differences and also talk out their reasonings and still love God and one another while you go along with fellowship.

Reactions: St. SteVen