Where Does Denial of Scripture About Hell Originate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Don't know what kind of God you think we serve,that would torture His children for all eternity,but anyway here's a good study on the subject,if you want the truth

Excerpt

Life and Death: The Two Polar Opposites

The apostle Paul summed up the whole matter of people’s reward for sin when he wrote:

ROMANS 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternallife through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Could anything be clearer than this text? The wages for sin is shown to be death, and eternal life is stated to be a gift from God, not something people already have. This is consistently expressed from Genesis to Revelation, notice:

MATTHEW 7:13-14

“Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad the road that leads to destruction and many enter through it, (14) but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”

JOHN 3:16
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

ROMANS 8:13
For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

GALATIONS 6:8
The one who sows to please the sinful nature from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the spirit, from the spirit will reap eternal life.

PROVERBS 11:19
The truly righteous man attains life, but he who pursues evil goes to his death.[2]

All these passages clearly describe the two separate destinies of the righteous and the unrighteous. The “righteous” are people who are in-right-standing with God because they’ve accepted his sacrifice for their sins, the “unrighteous” are those who are not in-right-standing with their Creator because they’ve rejected his offer of salvation.[3] The former will inherit eternal life, whereas the latter will reap the wages of sin and be destroyed.

Yet those who adhere to the eternal torture doctrine mysteriously don’t accept this blatantly clear biblical truth. They don’t believe that the two polar opposites are life and death; they believe the two polar opposites are eternal life in heavenly bliss and eternal life in burning torment. Sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? They may not phrase it in such an open manner, but this is what they actually believe when it comes down to it.

http://hell-know.net/

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Matthew 25:41-46 (NKJV)
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

All these in bold are the exact same Greek word. If eternal life never ends then neither does the punishment in the fire. Unless you think eternal life isn't really eternal.

I was just going to say....We ALL have "eternal life". It's just a matter of where you're gonna spend it.
smilie_girl_275.gif

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Matthew 25:41-46 (NKJV)
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

All these in bold are the exact same Greek word. If eternal life never ends then neither does the punishment in the fire. Unless you think eternal life isn't really eternal.

Read the study I just posted,but in the meantime can you tell me how death equals eternal torment?

I was just going to say....We ALL have "eternal life". It's just a matter of where you're gonna spend it.
smilie_girl_275.gif

No we don't all have eternal life....

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Read the study I just posted,but in the meantime can you tell me how death equals eternal torment?
The Biblical term 'dead' doesn't always mean 'the end'.

1 Timothy 5:6 (NKJV)
6 But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.

'Dead' meaning not saved.
No we don't all have eternal life....
Sure we do. But many won't like theirs.

Revelation 14:9-11 (NKJV)
9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
The Biblical term 'dead' doesn't always mean 'the end'.

1 Timothy 5:6 (NKJV)
6 But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.

'Dead' meaning not saved.

Sure we do. But many won't like theirs.

9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."

Simple question,Is Sodom still burning right now??

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Of course not. But it was a 'shadow of things to come'. I don't understand why a Christian would question eternal punishment in the fire with SOOOOO many examples. What do you have to gain? What do you have to lose? Satan would surely love for us to reject eternal punishment. What is left besides eternal punishment for the lost???

Insight

Aug 7, 2011

Good question!

Shame you will not receive an honest answer.

if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to *extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 2 Peter 2:6

It certainly was a *katastrophē of all proportion.

Fire is the chosen symbol of judgment of this world, mainly due to its purging qualities and its ability to cleanse. 2 Peter 3:7

The reality is once the cities were reduced to ashes there was nothing left to burn...."dust thou art and dust thou shalt return"...and they returned having been judged unworthy of a future eternal life.

It's not difficult!
searching-019.gif

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
God is not going to reward the wicked by destroying them.

Luke 16:22-31 (NKJV)
22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.' 25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.' 27 Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.' 29 Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.' 30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' 31 But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "

They will wish God had destroyed them.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Psalms 37 teaches that the wicked are going to perish, consumed up, and exist no more.

Ps 37:10-11
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
(KJV)

Ps 37:20
20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
(KJV)

That's about the "lake of fire" event at the end of Christ's future "thousand years" reign, per Rev.20. It's called the "second death" per that Scripture. That's when God will bring a fire in the midst of Satan, and he will be turned to ashes upon the earth in sight of all those who behold him (Ezek.28:18). Revelation 20:14-15 reveals the wicked go into that same "lake of fire" with him, along with their abode of 'hell' and even the idea of 'death'.

Rev 20:14-15
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
(KJV)

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Psalms 37 teaches that the wicked are going to perish, consumed up, and exist no more.

Ps 37:10-11
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
Yeah, they're going to perish physically from the earth. They will still exist in the fire, forever. I.E.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Psalms 37 teaches that the wicked are going to perish, consumed up, and exist no more. Ps 37:10-11 10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be. 11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. (KJV) Ps 37:20 20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away. (KJV) That's about the "lake of fire" event at the end of Christ's future "thousand years" reign, per Rev.20. It's called the "second death" per that Scripture. That's when God will bring a fire in the midst of Satan, and he will be turned to ashes upon the earth in sight of all those who behold him (Ezek.28:18). Revelation 20:14-15 reveals the wicked go into that same "lake of fire" with him, along with their abode of 'hell' and even the idea of 'death'. Rev 20:14-15 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (KJV)

Lake of fire = death i.e extinction, perished, dust, soil, earth....gone forever.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Lake of fire = death i.e extinction, perished, dust, soil, earth....gone forever.
Nope.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Nope. Revelation 14:9-11 (NKJV) 9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."

Your are a Funny Ducky.

Rev 14:11 compare with Isa 34:9,10

Is Israel still buring to this day; is the pitch still buring upons its land?
fencing.gif

I wonder if forever really means forever?
flamed.gif

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Your are a Funny Ducky.

Rev 14:11 compare with Isa 34:9,10
Is Israel still buring to this day; is the pitch still buring upons its land?
fencing.gif

I wonder if forever really means forever?
flamed.gif
Nothing funny about eternal punishment in the fire.

Luke 16:22-31 (NKJV)
22 The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.' 25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.' 27 Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.' 29 Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.' 30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' 31 But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
flatte.gif
its ok Ducky you can let go.

Isa 34:10 was fulfilled some time ago and the smoke is not rising today. Same as Jude 7 and many other instances throughout Scripture.

But if you feel comforted in the knowledge the fire burns for eternity thats your choice.

Scripture teaches otherwise.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
flatte.gif
its ok Ducky you can let go.

Isa 34:10 was fulfilled some time ago and the smoke is not rising today. Same as Jude 7 and many other instances throughout Scripture.

But if you feel comforted in the knowledge the fire burns for eternity thats your choice.

Scripture teaches otherwise.
If mocking makes you feel better you should read the Scripture about mockers too.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
If you knew your Bible Ducky you would have corrected me about Isa 34 and spent the time looking at the context and lessons found within.

Isa 34 is concerning the judgement of Edom not Israel.

Long has there been rivalry between Edom and Israel. They attempted a friendship but their efforts were fruitless - One was spiritual the other "red" like the earth See Num 20:14-21). You would also know David won many victories over Edom (See Psa 60; 2 Sa 8:13,14). But in Hezekiah’s day Edom gave support to Assyria against Judah (See Oba 1:10-16; Psa 137:7).

Seeing Edom no longer exists as a nation do you know who they represent in the Scriptures prophetically?

I have meet men like you before.

Your mind is made up...therefore you are unteachable.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
If you knew your Bible Ducky you would have corrected me about Isa 34 and spent the time looking at the context and lessons found within.
Why would I go to the OT to correct NT? You got it backwards. Jesus only had to tell us once. He told us several times.

Matthew 25:41 (NKJV)
Matthew 25:46 (NKJV)

"Where Does Denial of Scripture About Hell Originate"

-- Satan.
Amen again!