Where does religion fit in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

May 8, 2020
Reading
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
is it fair to assume, generally (meaning there are exceptions), people raised in abusive poverty stricken homes will grow up much less productive? (This is a general thought - there will be exceptions).

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
tell you what i would sure be out developing black market contacts instead of sitting at home right now
and i would be converting most of that $ into commodities, being as how they just printed like $3TRILLION more
just sayin

and, they arent even limited by the speed of the press now, it's just a computer entry, right
If you get completely on the inside it would be safer bet than owning a good set of counterfeiting plates to print bills that people will accept in exchange for goods and services. If it were how much longer? Are people going to stop accepting "good" [Hmmm?] hard cash printed by Uncle Sam very soon? I guess I am glad from a strictly fleshly standpoint that I am 76 years old instead of 26. My time will be up before long anyway...

May 8, 2020
Reading
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
If you get completely on the inside it would be safer bet than owning a good set of counterfeiting plates to print bills that people will accept in exchange for goods and services. If it were how much longer? Are people going to stop accepting "good" [Hmmm?] hard cash printed by Uncle Sam very soon? I guess I am glad from a strictly fleshly standpoint that I am 76 years old instead of 26. My time will be up before long anyway...
I think nations are beginning to throw off the dollar now due to sanctions or the treat thereof.
Russia for example will make international payment for items in dollars but industries that have a high sanction risk are traded in rubles.
Other nations are wanting to use their own currencies more now (although it's early days yet).

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend told me a story about people who died and got the heaven they all believed in. Some thought you worshipped all the time, others thought heaven was dancing on a hill day and night. others thought it was church always.
Story basically says in the end each group had their heaven turn into hell.
Angels came and saved them. I forget the moral of the story - make your own haha
Perhaps as I am believing more earnestly all of the time that people are already in hell here now in what they call home in the good old USA and the rest of men's world. As to heaven that is a whole other thing, but for you, apparently being an unbeliever, I won't press that on you... Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow...

Don't think that because I see what I do that I don't give God the glory every day!

May 8, 2020
Reading
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps as I am believing more earnestly all of the time that people are already in hell here now in what they call home in the good old USA and the rest of men's world. As to heaven that is a whole other thing, but for you, apparently being an unbeliever, I won't press that on you... Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow...

Don't think that because I see what I do that I don't give God the glory every day!
"...for you, apparently being an unbeliever..." - It is fair of you to assume that since my profile says "Other Faith"
Here is where I stand....
I believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
I believe Jesus was exactly who He said he was - the messiah.
I believe He wants us first to love God and at the same time - love each other. We can love God by loving each other.
I pray to God and Jesus and I believe He has spoken to me.
I think that makes me a believer? - But not everyone would agree on whether I'm a christian.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...for you, apparently being an unbeliever..." - It is fair of you to assume that since my profile says "Other Faith"
Here is where I stand....
I believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
I believe Jesus was exactly who He said he was - the messiah.
I believe He wants us first to love God and at the same time - love each other. We can love God by loving each other.
I pray to God and Jesus and I believe He has spoken to me.
I think that makes me a believer? - But not everyone would agree on whether I'm a christian.
The word, Christian, is at best problematic, because people have their own definitions. Just remember this:

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" John 11:26

But as our friend @bbyrd009 might say, many people are not believing that the promise is now rather than after someone throws the dirt on your face. He uses the description "death more abundantly" to emphasize the difference between many in "religion" and any who really taking hold of what Jesus did bring:

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

May 8, 2020
Reading
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
The word, Christian, is at best problematic, because people have their own definitions. Just remember this:

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" John 11:26

But as our friend @bbyrd009 might say, many people are not believing that the promise is now rather than after someone throws the dirt on your face. He uses the description "death more abundantly" to emphasize the difference between many in "religion" and any who really taking hold of what Jesus did bring:

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
Yes thank you.

I also have difficulty with the term "christian" as it is difficult to define.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assume true:
A society cannot survive if it isn't great at getting the best out of it's people.
A society that spends all it's time watching reality TV / building prisons / paying for police to fight gangs / consuming drugs / eating junk and having poor quality thought and education is eventually going to fail.
Faith / religion fits in: teaching people how to b the best they possibly can be. To encourage healthy relationships, honesty, productivity, etc. This (or should be) one of the goals for every faith. Obviously Christians believe that the Christian path is the best of all these, but I generally do find other paths to be general net positives as well.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Yes thank you.

I also have difficulty with the term "christian" as it is difficult to define.
i think the term "Christian" pretty obv means whatever the sayer wants it to mean? It meant more like "zionist" to 1st C ppl, i think; a believer in the literal restoration of the Davidic throne

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is religion supposed to produce well balanced people - that then go out and benefit everyone?
We should not confuse the Gospel with religion. The Gospel is meant to transform lives, and that in turn will produce RIGHTEOUS people. And that involves the New Birth. But many (if not most) will not obey the Gospel, therefore they will not be regenerated. And without being born again, they cannot be truly righteous. So it is not "Christianity" that should be anyone's focus. It should be Christ Himself.

Reactions: theophilus
May 8, 2020
Reading
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
We should not confuse the Gospel with religion. The Gospel is meant to transform lives, and that in turn will produce RIGHTEOUS people. And that involves the New Birth. But many (if not most) will not obey the Gospel, therefore they will not be regenerated. And without being born again, they cannot be truly righteous. So it is not "Christianity" that should be anyone's focus. It should be Christ Himself.
Did I call “religion” what you called focus on “Christ himself?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
so the Christian religion specifically??
No. The focus must be on Christ. He is the Savior of the world. He is also the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He is also God manifest in the flesh (God who became Man to die for our sins and rise again for our justification). Only He can save anyone from everything which is false and wicked.

Those who turn to Christ must at the same time forsake all their sins, their false beliefs, and their idols. They must submit themselves fully to God and Christ. False beliefs includes all those things which are promoted by society as good, when they are in fact evil.

May 8, 2020
Reading
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
No. The focus must be on Christ. He is the Savior of the world. He is also the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He is also God manifest in the flesh (God who became Man to die for our sins and rise again for our justification). Only He can save anyone from everything which is false and wicked.

Those who turn to Christ must at the same time forsake all their sins, their false beliefs, and their idols. They must submit themselves fully to God and Christ. False beliefs includes all those things which are promoted by society as good, when they are in fact evil.
Am I right to think you don’t want “following Christ” being labelled a religion?

Last edited:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Am I right to think you don’t want “following Christ” being labelled a religion?
Hi Confused-by -Christianity, What a great username to make a salient point. Yes, there is a mantra to the effect that Christianity is not a religion founded by Christ but a relationship enjoyed with Him.

Joh 15:5 (Jesus said) I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing.