Where does the Bible say...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You guys pervert all of the Scriptures pertaining to the Sabbath – then you completely IGNORE the verses and admonitions about NOT letting people judge you about keeping the Sabbath. As I have already shown you – Paul makes this adamantly clear in Col. 2:15-17.
Oh, Colossians 2... perhaps this may help you, in showing to you, that we, as Seventh-day Adventists, study things most carefully, and heed Peter's words about Paul's material (2 Peter 3:16):

You can see all 4 Parts (Part 4 was never recorded) here on Powerpoint, and take your time - https://archive.org/download/colossians-2vs-16/Colossians 2vs16.pptx

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Oh, Colossians 2... perhaps this may help you, in showing to you, that we, as Seventh-day Adventists, study things most carefully, and heed Peter's words about Paul's material (2 Peter 3:16):

Do you really? With all due respect, SDA have by their thousands read the correct and truthful translation FROM THE TEXT, NOT FROM TRADITION, but choose tradition and will defend tradition with their soul and lives.

Dear friend even brother in Jesus Christ, WHAT DO YOU SAY OF IT?

Colossians 2:16-19

12 While dead in your sins God who raised Christ from the dead forgave you all trespasses having quickened you together with Him. Nailing it to the cross and removing it altogether, Christ blotted out the damning law against us; and putting off and ruining the rulers and the authorities [of darkness 1:13], He publicly held them up to shame, triumphing over them in it. [If ye then be raised with Christ 3:1], THEN THEREFORE, don’t you let yourselves be judged and condemned by anyone (of the world 2:8, 20) in your eating and drinking or with regard to your eating and drinking of feast, whether of month’s or of Sabbaths’—all which shadows forth what soon must be, the BODY and SUBSTANCE OF CHRIST!

Let no man not holding to the Head [but] puffed up by his fleshly mind, who conceitedly meddles in what he knows nothing about (the mystery which is Christ 1:28), with his pretentious humility and angelic worship beguile you (with enticing words 2:4) of your reward.

Because holding to the Head nourishment being ministered, all the Body (of Christ’s Own 1:18) by joints and bands [of faith 2:12 Hosea 11:4; peace Ephesians 4:3; and charity Colossians 3:14], and knit together (in love 2:2), will grow with the growth of God.

"Don't you let yourselves be judged by anyone in regard to your eating and drinking of Christ the Substance of Sabbaths' Feast either Lord's Supper of month's or Sabbaths' Feast, which are but the shadow of what imminently must come for you holding to the Head, the Body growing with the growth of God Christ being the Nourishment ministered."

Since having resurrected from the dead "on the Sabbath in fullness of day", "Jesus having entered into his Own Rest as God in his own, He gave them Rest, so that THEREFORE A KEEPING OF SABBATH REST DAY FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD REMAINS."

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No.
You're free to believe as you wish.

I believe the truth. You just make up false arguments.
You probably don't even know what equivocation is and don't want to know - just want to hang on to your rotten stick to beat Catholics with.
Pathetic.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If the Papal seat began with Peter, then celibacy is a misnomer among the priesthood. Because Peter was married.

1 Corinthians 3:11 that "no other foundation can be laid other than the one already laid which is Christ Jesus."

Peter. A man whom Jesus rebuked with, get behind me Satan, is not the church. Nor is he the foundation of the church Jesus referred to in his ministry.
Just ask Peter.
1 Peter 2:5-8 'Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe he is precious?: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.'

Were your argument to be absolute according to God's words it would mean the other 11 Apostles were of no use in building the church if all rested on Peter.
In actuality, God/Jesus/Salvation, is the rock. Peter does not save! 1 Peter 5:1-4 ...'The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.'

Acts 4: 11 This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, that has become the cornerstone. 12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among people by which we must be saved.”
13 When they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and discovered that they were uneducated and ordinary men, they were amazed and recognized these men had been with Jesus.

Was Peter the First Pope?

Your arguments have no logic.
You fail to address my post but respond with irrelevancies.

Last edited:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm married to a member of the RCC. His entire family remain RC. His mother held an office in the church, as much as woman may do so. I know of what you speak. For the most part the Roman Catholic has been taught the RCC doctrine/dogma from the time they were infants attending services as the homily filled their ears and began the hard wiring into their tender malleable psyche.

My participation in discussions of this sort, as pertains to RCC doctrine/dogma, isn't with the hope of changing the mind of any RCC member who may participate.
Though I will admit if any one of them does reconsider and start their independent research into the truth of God's church, or those lurking and reading these discussions do feel led to consider what is being revealed as to God's words through Christ , not the RCC, that is a blessing.

My participation is to bring the truth of Christ as I understand it, as we all do who enter into discussions in any BDF, in comparison to what RCC members espouse in contrast and as they've been taught by the church. One thing in particular. That their salvation is able to be made forfeit. Which is false. However, that leads the RCC member to cleave to the church and its edicts in order to "remain saved".
There is also no purgatory in the teachings of Christ. Purgatory makes Christ's death on the cross immaterial.

In short, it is to help anyone who may be a new Christian seeking understanding to find it in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And in the course of that if it assists those type readers to consider the RCC is not the church of Christ, all's the better. We're speaking of and to souls here! Eternity is a long time to be wrong.

The RCC is the antithesis of the truth of God in Christ. Everything the RCC leads people to hold dear is contrary to what God decreed as righteous.
And to beat someone to it, no I am not anti-Catholic. If I were I'd be single. Rather, I am pro-Gospel truth.

That is not in any way meant to insult any RCC. I've had that discussion and said those very words to my husband and we're still married. (lol)
Rather, what those words mean to impart is the faith of the RCC member is in their church, and then God.

Their Catechism speaks of faith in God the Father however, that faith is to be aligned with faith in the leading of the church to proper understanding of God and His Word.

There are a lot of things wrong with the RCC. Not that they'll admit that. However I believe those who seek the truth of God in Christ are entitled to know that if they happen on a discussion of this sort.

Lastly, this thread was clearly started to instigate a conflict between participating RCC members and whomever accepted the invite to enter in.
Those non-Catholic members who do participate hold to the same thing as myself. Countering the falsity with the truth of Christ. That isn't a rebuttal in kind to the spirit of strife that initiated this conversation. That, as I see it, is an act of love.

Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.

You don't have to enter into this discussion thinking to change a Catholic members mind. Rather, consider entering in to do as Jesus commanded you.
1 Peter 3:15
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

One of these days I'll be a woman of few words.
Today is not that day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

(edited missing sentence)

For someone who claims not to be anti-Catholic and not intending to insult Catholics you do a very good imitation of such.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ has all authority and he gave it to the church thru Peter the apostles and their successors and whatever they bind on earth is bound in heaven including moving the day of worship Matt 16:18 18:18 28:19

the Saturday sabbath is part of the old creation and old covenant we are are in a new creation and new covenant

Matthew 18:18
Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

The apostles were not given authority to bind and loose as you suggest. Rather, Jesus is teaching his apostles to identify what has already been bound in heaven. In our time, we would call these men "subject matter experts." Such people are not given the power to change the laws of
God or innovate new ones. They have been given insight, wisdom, and experience such that they have been granted knowledge of God's will for mankind and the responsibility to disseminate that knowledge to the world.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Catholicism rejects scripture as authority and then yes scripture to argue their points. Hypocrites.

I've said this before - the Bible has no authority. It is authoritative, meaning true and reliable.

Authority belongs to a person not a book.
Before he ascended to heaven Jesus said to the apostles All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.” (Mt 28:18-20).
Jesus was given authority by the Father. He in turn passed on authority to the apostles, who passed it on to others in their turn.

As a previous posterr said, we are discussing apples and oranges. Christians base their faith in scripture. Catholics don't.

No Catholic Doctrine (properly understood) contradicts Scripture (properly interpreted).

Two different religions. Two completely different paradigms of faith and practice. One has the Truth, the other has authority.

The Catholic Church has both truth and authority.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For someone who claims not to be anti-Catholic and not intending to insult Catholics you do a very good imitation of such.
I believe that thread was addressed to me... and ironically... I found the response to be filled with upmost respect. Watersong stated that she is married to a Catholic.... She also stated it is Catholicism that she has a problem with... and NOT Catholics. If you read all the posts in this thread... you will see that it is the Catholics who seem to be responding with such venom and rudeness...

The original comment I made on here was not understanding why people engage in conversation with those who are rude... arrogant and demeaning... @WaterSong answered my question.

I am free from the curse of Catholicism... and I have no desire to exchange opinions on the matter... but I do wonder about the integrity of certain people who seem to enjoy spewing forth demeaning remarks at every turn.

Time to move on... so forgive me if I don't respond to anything else you might have to add.

Reactions: WaterSong

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So, when John references "the Lord's day", it is in the context of "the word of God", which are God's Commandments. Well, which commandment then? Again, we do not have to guess, for John tells us:

Rev 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Yes! Why then don't you emphasise in bold the most important part of what John wrote here?! Why is it not, "Rev 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters".

PLEASE, let me tell you, WHY!

127977217_10208607381698238_9023308887179465337_n.jpg

You and your church like all or any other church under the sun, DISREGARD the proleptic Textual Context in which God "made" and "gave" and "commanded the Sabbath".

Revelation 14:7, "Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of HIS judgment is come", is "God speaking by the Son in these LAST days" of and in CHRIST'S "hour come" at the end of his life and the RESTITUTION foretold in the Bible of all the works and Righteousness of God by the Resurrection of Christ "ON THE WEEKLY SABBATH" whereon the "worship of Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters" RESTS as it had rested from the BEGINNING.

But everybody and all churches especially the big Sabbath-church the SDA, refuse to read the COMPLETION OF "ALL, HIS, GOD'S, WORKS" of the Seventh Day Rest Day, INCLUDING his greatest and most important work of the REDEEMING REST of God AFTER Genesis 2:2,4 in Genesis 3:8-24 ON THAT SELFSAME DAY THE SEVENTH DAY.

And just the same you like all the Christian Church refuse to see that the creation motive of the first Decalogue made way for the Redemption motive of the later, Deuteronomy Fourth Commandment.

I am exhausted. God be merciful to you and me and all his stubborn children.

FACTS OF SCRIPTURE JUST WAVED by all and every Christian church today-- and all have heard the Glad Tidings . . . it just makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Line upon line, and no need for a single non-scriptural source to re-define by the man of sin's tradition.

The Phrase "the Lord's day" is found in use in the OT, as shown from Isaiah 58:13, etc. John is not making up any novel (new) idea, but the Holy Ghost is inspiring and citing from the OT scriptures, as is done all over Revelation 1.

No, "The Lord's Day" is in fact none other than the "Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD". It's undeniable; only fools, even Christian scholars, foolishly TRY to challenge God Himself on this.

Nevertheless there is a tremendous difference and an overwhelming preference of "The Lord's Day" over "the Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD GOD", because it is the Lord of the Sabbath the Lord Jesus Christ WHO MADE AND FOREVER IS the difference. The difference came about-- GOD "made the Sabbath" "The LORDLY Lord's Day" OF VICTORY AND TRIUMPH AND RESURRECTION from the dead. "THE LORD IS A MAN OF WAR, THE LORD TRIUMPHED GREATLY" -- "The Song of Moses and the Lamb" Genesis 15 -- Ephesians 1 -- Four Gospels -- Mark from chapter 14 Matthew from chapter 26 Luke from chapter 22 John from chapter 13, Triumphant Suffering Servant of the LORD!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um, how did God find it there?

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.​

That is the LORD God speaking, correct? He is the Truth, correct?
Ummmm, notice that NONE of those verses are from Genesis - as you previously implied.
Get your story straight . . .

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually... what I posted was the solution to putting the fire OUT... People who come into these threads with nothing but
rudeness, contempt for others, and arrogance do NOT deserve to be heard in my opinion.

I left this site for about 4 months and the same debate with the Catholics is going on. A Catholic defending their faith to a Protestant
is like trying to sell a pair of shoes to someone who has no feet. A huge waste of time.

My comment was simply a remark regarding the above. :D

I know what you mean about dropping out for a while.
I did the same because I was fed up with the anti-Catholic bigotry and lies of some participants.
I returned recently because I felt the need to defend the Catholic Church against such lies and perversion of the truth.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you said that the first time. Repeating the statement does not make the actual Sabbath day null and void.
Nope, I didn't say it the first time.......Does this look familiar: "If you're Catholic you listen to men who teach you the Sabbath is no longer applicable."

YOU said that....I just took what YOU said and changed a few words so that my argument is the same as your argument.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In actual practice and in word, that is simply not so.

The very LIFE of Jesus reinstated it (as He is the Living (Example) Law), as it had been darkened by pharisaical regulations. Jesus' own example reinstated it:

Luk 4:14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
Luk 4:15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.
Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.​

Matthew 4:10, deals with "worship", even as the sabbath commandment defines that worship in the context of the 7 days (all 7) of the week.

Isa_66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.​

Notice in Matthew 5, the order of progression, as it is the unfolding of the entire Ten Commandments:

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Just as Israel of old:

1. Egypt - Exodus 1
2. Red Sea - Exodus 14
3. Wilderness - Exodus 16-19
4. Mt. Sinai - Ten Commandments (God's Law) - Exodus 20​

So too Jesus:

1. Egypt - Matthew 2
2. Baptism - Matthew 3
3. Wilderness - Matthew 4
4. Mt. of Blessing - God's Law (Ten Commandments explained in detail) - Matthew 5​
YOUR problem - as is the problem with ALL Sabbatarians is that you place ALL of your chips on the Sabbath. Jesus DOESN'T.
Sure, Jesus observed the Sabbath - as He did every OTHER Jewish Law or custom. He DIDN'T make it the centerpiece of His Gospel as SDAs do.

As I showed you before - He doesn't even reinstate it in His own teaching, as He does ALL of the OTHER Nine Commandments (Matt. 4:10, 5:34, 19:18-19, Luke 12:15).
Don't tell me what He practiced as a faithful Jew - show me what He taught as LORD. As I said above - He PRACTICED a whole LOT of things that we are not bound by (dietary laws, cleanliness laws, festivals, new moons, etc.).

He didn't TEACH that we were bound to observe the Sabbath - and THAT'S why Paul, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit boldly proclaimed:
Col. 2:16-17
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon OR A SABBATH. These are a SHADOW of the things to come, but the REALITY belongs to Christ.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know what you mean about dropping out for a while.
I did the same because I was fed up with the anti-Catholic bigotry and lies of some participants.
I returned recently because I felt the need to defend the Catholic Church against such lies and perversion of the truth.

I am no fan of Catholicism.... I walked out of it after my mother passed away in 2007...however... I do not go around bashing anyone's beliefs... My landlords are Catholic and I love them to bits... I have lived in their rental unit for 6 years.... we break bread together... we laugh together and we have each other's backs...
My experience with Catholicism has not been a good one. With that said... I respect that everyone has the choice to believe what they want.

What I can't seem to understand ( not that I need to ).. is Why do Catholics desire to argue with non-Catholics to "defend" their beliefs... It makes no sense to me... because there will never be resolution.

I am happy that you find comfort in your religion.

Last edited by a moderator:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New Law giver? There is ever only one Lawgiver:

Jas_4:12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?​

Are you referring to John 13:34? If so, let's look at it to be sure.

Well, that is nothing new. Since when does an actual Seventh-day Adventist say/teach/practice that Ellen White is the Lawgiver? She, herself, has stated in print on numerous occasions:

"... The Lord commands by the same prophet: "Bind up the testimony, seal the law among My disciples." Isaiah 8:16. The seal of God's law is found in the fourth commandment. This only, of all the ten, brings to view both the name and the title of the Lawgiver. It declares Him to be the Creator of the heavens and the earth, and thus shows His claim to reverence and worship above all others. Aside from this precept, there is nothing in the Decalogue to show by whose authority the law is given. When the Sabbath was changed by the papal power, the seal was taken from the law. The disciples of Jesus are called upon to restore it by exalting the Sabbath of the fourth commandment to its rightful position as the Creator's memorial and the sign of His authority. {GC 452.1} ..." - The Great Controversy (1911); page 452.1

I agree with all of that, including the one thing He (Jesus) didn't ever say, that mankind is not the keep the 7th day, the Sabbath of the LORD God Holy.

Yes, the sabbath of the LORD is in harmony with "good" (def. by Bible) deeds.

Yes, the Jews (CoA) should indeed be freed from every "unjust" binding that was not in harmony with God's Law. Jesus contrasted the pharisaical regulations with what God actually stated on the matter. Examples upon request.
"New Law" giver - as in giver of the New Law.
NOT "New Lawgiver".

When Jesus preach HIS Law - He reinstated ALL of the Ten Commandments - except ONE: The Sabbath.
(Matt. 4:10, 5:34, 19:18-19, Luke 12:15)

Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I were a Sabbatarian I'd be in keeping with God's edict. Not that of the RCC and that has unfortunately been adopted by the Protestant body.

And you said that the first time. Repeating the statement does not make the actual Sabbath day null and void. Nor does God concede to the presumptive authority espoused by the Pope to abrogate even the scriptures.

Below are all excepts from different sources which are linked in the IBD at the very end of these cited quotes.

"Is not every Christian obliged to sanctify Sunday and to abstain on that day from unnecessary servile work? Is not the observance of this law among the most prominent of our sacred duties? But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify." James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (1917 edition), p. 72-73 (16th Edition, p 111; 88th Edition, p. 89).

"For example, nowhere in the Bible do we find that Christ or the Apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is the 7th day of the week, Saturday. Today most Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman Catholic] church outside the Bible." Catholic Virginian, October 3, 1947, p. 9, article "To Tell You the Truth."

The decree set forth in the year 1229 A.D. by the Council of Valencia... places Bible on The Index of Forbidden Books. The doctrine withholds "it is forbidden for laymen (common man) to read the Old and New Testaments. - We forbid them most severely to have the above books in the popular vernacular. The lords of the districts shall carefully seek out the heretics in dwellings, hovels, and forests, and even their underground retreats shall be entirely wiped out." (Council Tolosanum, Pope Gregory IX, Anno. Chr. 1229)

"The very nature of the Bible ought to prove to any thinking man the impossibility of its being the one safe method to find out what the Savior taught." (Ibid., p. 67)

"The Scriptures indeed is a divine book but it is a dead letter, which has to be explained, and cannot exercise the action which the preacher can obtain." (Our Priesthood, p. 155)

"The simple fact is that the Bible, like all dead letters, calls for a living interpreter." (The Faith of Millions, p. 155)

"The Bible was not intended to be a textbook of Christian religion." (Catholic Facts, p. 50)

"The belief in the Bible as the sole source of faith is unhistorical, illogical, fatal to the virtue of faith, and destructive of unity." (The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume XIII, Protestantism, Section III A - Sola Scriptura ("Bible Alone"), Nihil Obstat, February 1, 1912 by Remy Lafort, D.D., Censor, Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York)

"Sunday is our mark or authority...the church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact." Catholic Record of London, Ontario, September 1,1923.

"The Pope has the power to change times, to abrogate laws, and to dispense with all things, even the precepts of Christ. The Pope has the authority and often exercised it, to dispense with the command of Christ." (Decretal, de Tranlatic Episcop. Cap. (The Pope can modify divine law.) Ferraris' Ecclesiastical Dictionary)

The Pope is not simply the representative of Jesus Christ. On the contrary, he is Jesus Christ Himself, under the veil of the flesh." (Evangelical Christendom, January 1, 1895, pg. 15, published in London by J. S. Phillips)

The Catholic church changed Sabbath day Saturday to Sunday. And in doing so everyone that honors God on Sunday, that alteration of Sabbath day, are accepting the authority of the Pope that decreed a change, a new day of Sabbath, to be that of Sunday.
Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman Catholic] church outside the Bible.” Catholic Virginian, October 3, 1947, p. 9, article “To Tell You the Truth.”.

“Protestants do not realize that by observing Sunday, they accept the authority of the spokesperson of the Church, the Pope” (Our Sunday Visitor, February 5, 1950).

Cardinal Gibbons, in Faith of Our Fathers, 92nd ed., p. 89, freely admits, “You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we [the Catholic Church] never sanctify.”

“The Catholic Church, … by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday” (The Catholic Mirror, official publication of James Cardinal Gibbons, Sept. 23, 1893).

“Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change [Saturday Sabbath to Sunday] was her act… And the act is a mark of her ecclesiastical authority in religious things” (H.F. Thomas, Chancellor of Cardinal Gibbons).

IBD:
Antichrist Speaks - Quotes from Roman Catholic Church

Vatican admits the change of Sabbath was their act not the Bible
Scripture says: Let no one pass judgment on you in questions or with regard to a Sabbath. So please stop judging us Christians who join together on the Lords Day!

According to Scripture and 1st century historical writings Christians gathered on the Lords Day (Sunday).

Sabbatarianism was the creation of the 16th century Scottish and English Reformers, especially John Knox.

I am thankful that you are least gathering with your fellow believers. It makes me sad that you have chosen to practice what John Knox tells you to practice instead of practicing what Christians have practiced for 2,000 years.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Show me the scripture where Jesus himself stated the Sabbath is no longer applicable to man for whom it was made. As to your question? I can show you where your church altered Saturday Sabbath by its own authority! “The Catholic Church, … by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday” (The Catholic Mirror, official publication of James Cardinal Gibbons, Sept. 23, 1893).

We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodicea (A.D. 364), transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday." Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R., The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50, 3rd edition, 1957.

"Is Saturday the seventh day according to the Bible and the Ten Commandments? I answer yes. Is Sunday the first day of the week and did the Church change the seventh day - Saturday - for Sunday, the first day? I answer yes. Did Christ change the day'? I answer no!"
"Faithfully yours, J. Card. Gibbons." James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, Md. (1877-1921), in a signed letter.

John 14:15
"If you love Me, you will keep My commands."
John 14:21
"Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him."

Mark 2:28
"So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”
Colossians 2:16-17
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

Mark 2:27
And he said to them, The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

"The Pope is of so great dignity, and so exalted that he is not a mere man, but as it were God and the vicar of God." (Ferraris Ecclesiastical dictionary)
Matthew 24:1-51
Jesus left the temple and was going away, when his disciples came to point out to him the buildings of the temple. But he answered them, “You see all these, do you not? Truly, I say to you, there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.” As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the close of the age?” And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray.

Show me where Jesus said his mother was his co-redemptrix.
Well, since you were unable to show me a single passage where Jesus said that Christians are to gather on Saturday I guess this conversation is over!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will admit I am not the sharpest crayon in the box... but can someone explain to me WHY... the focus on Sabbath being a certain day...
Is there really a difference between interpretations of which day is the 7th??? Does it really matter if Sabbath ( the day of rest ) is Saturday or Sunday?? Is God so strict that he will punish those who got the day wrong ?? Is there such a thing as getting the day wrong??

We are told to give thanks and worship to God on the 7th day... If in good conscience.... a Christian abides by this law... I would think God would honour that.

Reactions: Ziggy

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am no fan of Catholicism.... I walked out of it after my mother passed away in 2007...however... I do not go around bashing anyone's beliefs... My landlords are Catholic and I love them to bits... I have lived in their rental unit for 6 years.... we break bread together... we laugh together and we have each other's backs...
My experience with Catholicism has not been a good one. With that said... I respect that everyone has the choice to believe what they want.

What I can't seem to understand ( not that I need to ).. is Why do Catholics desire to argue with non-Catholics to "defend" their beliefs... It makes no sense to me... because there will never be resolution.

I am happy that you find comfort in your religion.

Not only on forums like this, but on so called christian web sites, people are spreading lies about the Catholic Church. I want others to hear the truth.