Where does the Pope get his authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Them, as in, you.

Much love!
The fruits of The Church? Glad you asked: joy:

Largest religious charitable organization in the world! You Protestants are lagging.

There are 1.4 billion of us compared to less than a billion of you. Proof God is still winning after 2,000 years.

Consistent salvific biblical doctrine for 2,000 years compared to the Protestants who have dozens of different salvific doctrines that have changed since your leader, Martin Luther, started your Revolution.

The Church called on all able-bodied men to join the Crusades to push back the Muslims who were taking over the world and raping, killing women and children. If The Church hadn't done this, you would probably be under Islam rule today.......YOUR WELCOME!! ;)

Catholic hospitals comprise one quarter of world's healthcare which makes it the largest non-government provider of health care services in the world.

Staunchly pro-life where in your Protestant brothers and sisters are pro-abortion!

Staunchly pro-marriage between 1 man and 1 woman. Some of your Protestant ilk support gay marriage.

Keeping it real with the facts instead of opinions............Mary

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of your Protestant ilk support gay marriage.
Guilty by association?

The Catholic church, arguably the largest pedophile gay sex trafficking organization in the world, right up into the Vatican. Speaking of Whores . . . it's truly disgusting! The countless lives that have been destroyed by this evil, get out!

Much love, and hope that you can see through this web of evil!

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fruits of The Church? Glad you asked: joy:

Largest religious charitable organization in the world! You Protestants are lagging.

There are 1.4 billion of us compared to less than a billion of you. Proof God is still winning after 2,000 years.

Consistent salvific biblical doctrine for 2,000 years compared to the Protestants who have dozens of different salvific doctrines that have changed since your leader, Martin Luther, started your Revolution.

The Church called on all able-bodied men to join the Crusades to push back the Muslims who were taking over the world and raping, killing women and children. If The Church hadn't done this, you would probably be under Islam rule today.......YOUR WELCOME!! ;)

Catholic hospitals comprise one quarter of world's healthcare which makes it the largest non-government provider of health care services in the world.

Staunchly pro-life where in your Protestant brothers and sisters are pro-abortion!

Staunchly pro-marriage between 1 man and 1 woman. Some of your Protestant ilk support gay marriage.

Keeping it real with the facts instead of opinions............Mary

Considering your untimely and sketchy Kamala-style laughter, childish laughing emojis, and venomous desperate responses, I surmise that , either you were dropped on your head when you were a baby, or you are a minion of Satan. Considering your doctrinal leanings, I would think the latter.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guilty by association?

The Catholic church, arguably the largest pedophile sex trafficking organization in the world, right up into the Vatican. Speaking of Whores . . . it's truly disgusting!

Never said you were guilty by association kiddo.

Also, @BreadOfLife has debunked your theory that The Church is any worse at sexual abuse than your Protestant ilk. He can provide more data than I can but here are a few references to destroy your theory:

evangelicals-worse-catholics-sexual-abuse

german-protestant-churches-riddled-with-sexual-abuse-and-cover-ups-report-finds/

letter-protestant-church-about-sex-abuse-we-are-not-safer/

Truly disgusting that you put "much love" at the end of your post after you said such vile things. Either you are lying, or you don't know the definition of love.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Considering your untimely and sketchy Kamala-style laughter, childish laughing emojis, and venomous desperate responses, I surmise that , either you were dropped on your head when you were a baby, or you are a minion of Satan. Considering your doctrinal leanings, I would think the latter.
Hmmmm......I'm a minion of Satan even though I haven't tried to degrade you with the language and vocabulary of a 7-year-old? I forgive you!!

YOU are the one who has admitted on this forum that you don't adhere to Scripture.....but Marymog is a minion of Satan? :IDK:

Keeping it real with facts...Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have....that is why I was once a Protestant and have now joined The Church that Christ started. The One that is the pillar and foundation of truth spoken of in Scripture. There can be only One Church with authority.....you Protestants have THOUSANDS, all claiming to have authority!

Also, I know you really don't mean the much love thing. :tiphat:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you are merely using the fallacy, that's all.

The Church is any worse at sexual abuse
I'm talking about the organization you defend. I'm not defending any sex abusers. However the Catholic church as they call themselves has made it their mission to protect and defend those who sexually defile children, institutionally. Absolutely dispicable, evil, revolting, who would defend such as these? Well, you, for starters.

"Well, Others are doing it too!" Disgusting!

Much love! It's real, "mary", I truly hope you will someday see the light!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm talking about the organization you defend. I'm not defending any sex abusers. However the Catholic church as they call themselves has made it their mission to protect and defend those who sexually defile children, institutionally. Absolutely dispicable, evil, revolting, who would defend such as these? Well, you, for starters.

"Well, Others are doing it too!" Disgusting!

Much love! It's real, "mary", I truly hope you will someday see the light!
When did I defend any sex abusers? Quote me. If you can't (and you can't), then apologize. I suspect no apology will be coming from you. That's how dishonest people work ;)

Reactions: Augustin56

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then He intentionally tried to dupe His disciples into thinking otherwise, Luke 24:39. That's hard to swallow.
Good grief! How was he trying to dupe his followers? Were angels who materialized in Bible times trying to dupe God’s servants as well? It was forbidden to Jews to communicate with spirits because demons could impersonate the dead and feed satan’s lie to Eve that we don’t really die.
The witch of Endor supposedly called up the spirit of dead Samuel, but it was demon impersonating him.
It involved divination which was against God’s law. (Deut 18:9-12) Saul himself was instrumental in ridding the land of spirit mediums.

Materializing in a body of flesh was a way to prevent them from breaking God’s law, as well as comforting them in the knowledge of his resurrection, which up until that time, was entirely fleshly. Jesus was “the firstborn from the dead”……not that he was the first human to be resurrected but the first to experience a resurrection “in the spirit”, paving the way for his elect to also experience such a resurrection to heavenly life in the future.

Reactions: TheHC

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic departure from scripture was germain to the Reformation. The church being old is no guarantee that it won't stray (and it did). As I noted in post #757 of this thread:

1. Calling the priests "father" is forbidden. (Matt. 23:9)
2. Praying repetitively using rosary beads is forbidden. (Matt. 6:7)
3. Teaching that Mary the virgin Mary never had sex after Jesus was born and that Jesus had no brothers and sisters is untrue. (Matt. 13:55-56)(Matt. 1:24-25)
4. Worshipping idols, icons and images violates the 2nd commandment. (Exodus 20:4-5)
5. Human tradition and man-made doctrine is apostacy. (Mark 7:7-9)
6. Praying to Mary and the Saints is idolatry (1 Tim. 2:5)
7. Teaching that Mary was born sinless and lived a sinless life. This is absurd, of course, because she was 100% human and no person is righteous (Romans 3:10).
8. Praying to dead people (Mary & Saints) is forbidden and an abomination. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12; Leviticus 20:6,27; 1 Samuel 28:5-18; Isaiah 8:19-20)
9. Purgatory does not exist in the Bible. It is a Catholic fund raiser through the unbiblical selling of indulgences.
10. Confessing sins to a priest to obtain absolution for sins is forbidden (Mark 2:5-11)
All you've shown is that you don't know how to properly interpet Scripture. You aren't trained or educated to do so. It's not a do-it-yourself book.

Reactions: Marymog

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All you've shown is that you don't know how to properly interpet Scripture. You aren't trained or educated to do so. It's not a do-it-yourself book.
That's the same defense that the homosexuals and other deviants try to use. If you are real cunning, one can twist things to accomodate their unbiblical narrative.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks for your OPINION. Here are 8 passages from Scripture that destroys your opinion:

Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Remember them which have the rule over you, ........For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:.......Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers,.... Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you. So when they had appointed elders in every church, and prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed. Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine. And as they went through the cities, they delivered to them the decrees to keep, which were determined by the apostles and elders at Jerusalem.

N
otice how I quoted Scripture to back up what I say? And you?:IDK: You continue to give your opinion to back up what you say. YOU verify what YOU say is true :woohoo!:

If you deny Scripture, you deny Christ.
Those scriptures are a blasphemy if applied to leaders that are corrupt and themselves denying the Christ that saves. I will not submit to leaders, or anyone else, if they themselves are not submitted.
KJV 1 Corinthians 11:1-3
1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

The church is built upon Christ as its foundation; it is to obey Christ as its head. It is not to depend upon man, or be controlled by man. Many claim that a position of trust in the church gives them authority to dictate what other men shall believe and what they shall do. This claim God does not sanction. The Saviour declares, "All ye are brethren." All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error. Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency. "Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm." The Lord "is the Rock, His work is perfect." "Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him." Jeremiah 17:5; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 2:12.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“LOL” ? Really?
If the Christian world at the time of the Crusades (1095 thru 1291AD) was led by Jehovah Witness men, the entire world today would be under Islam rule because JW's don't believe in warfare.
That’s right, we don’t….because we strive to follow Christ.

He didn’t either.

Where is your faith that God would protect those who obey His laws?

Jehovah proved it: He stepped in time and again, and protected the faithful Israelites.

You know that.

You’re making an appeal for justifying war, and not looking at the bigger picture.

The “entire world”, huh?

If everyone in the entire world were
like Christ, there’d be no war.

Similarly, if everyone in the entire world were like Jehovah’s Witnesses, there’d be no war.

Yes, I do hope & pray that you will come to the realization that religions who claim to represent Christ and then engage in war, are worse off than warring religions who don’t. — 1 John 3:10-15; Matthew 7:22,23.

Have a good day, my cousin.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's the same defense that the homosexuals and other deviants try to use. If you are real cunning, one can twist things to accomodate their unbiblical narrative.
Unless you interpret Scripture like it was originally meant to be, all you have is your personal opinion, using Scripture to mean what you want it to mean, rather than what the authors meant it to be. See 2 Peter 1:20-21, where St. Peter warns about personal interpretation of Scripture. St. Paul, in 1 Tim 3:15, refers to the CHURCH as the "pillar and foundation of truth." Nowhere does the Bible say someone personally interpreting Scripture is anything of the sort. Without the Church, it's just a crap shoot. And, historically, there was but one Christian Church for the first 1000 years of Christianity, the Catholic Church.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could it be that the pure woman in Revelation 12 has morphed into the impure woman of Revelation 17?
No, not according to Scripture.
Could it be that the pure woman in Revelation 12 has morphed into the impure woman of Revelation 17?
No, not according to Scripture. The woman in Rev. 12 is Mary, the mother of Jesus. According to Luke 1:28, the angel addresses her as kecharitomene in the original Greek. This word, in the grammatical sense it was used, means she was born in such a manner as to be without sin from the first moment of her existence (her conception), permanently thereafter.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for that, I appreciate it. Can I then ask you for your opinion on my posts 755 and 756? I know you won't like them, but I would like a biblical reason why I should fully trust in the church... Being your church obviously... When there are examples of dogma or doctrine that is either extra biblical, or contradictory to Bible truth that have emanated from your teachers? I don't think I need to go to what I believe are fair examples, there have been many already mentioned in this thread.
I read those posts.
But, I think you’re coming from a false assumption of HOW the Church teaches.

It’s not a “Our way or the highway” situation. Tradition and Magisterial teaching are never at “odds” with Scripture or are they ever presumed to be “above” Scripture. They go hand-in-and. That’s what Paul meant when he placed oral tradition on the same level as the written Word (2 Thess 2:16).

EVERY
teaching in the Catechism is backed up with Scriptural support in the form of footnotes. The Pope doesn’t pull things out of “thin air”. He simply defines a belief held by the Church.

As for the Bereans - yes, they searched the Scriptures for evidemce of what they were bein taught by the Churh. However, they ultimately believed the Church, who told the ideneity of the man, Jesus of Nazareth.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“LOL” ? Really?

That’s right, we don’t….because we strive to follow Christ.
LOL, YES, really! All of Christianity teaches that self-defense is in Scripture. Only your sect denies it is in Scripture and would allow your entire town to be pillaged, women raped, and children killed. Thats scary.....THANK GOD 99.9999% of Christians do not adhere to your mens teachings.

“But now, the one who has a purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one..... They said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” He replied, “It is enough.”

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his castle, his property is safe. 22 But when one stronger than he attacks him and overpowers him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted and divides his plunder.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Similarly, if everyone in the entire world were like Jehovah’s Witnesses, there’d be no war.
But everyone is not Christ like or JW like sooooooo there will always be war.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those scriptures are a blasphemy if applied to leaders that are corrupt and themselves denying the Christ that saves. I will not submit to leaders, or anyone else, if they themselves are not submitted.
KJV 1 Corinthians 11:1-3
1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

The church is built upon Christ as its foundation; it is to obey Christ as its head. It is not to depend upon man, or be controlled by man. Many claim that a position of trust in the church gives them authority to dictate what other men shall believe and what they shall do. This claim God does not sanction. The Saviour declares, "All ye are brethren." All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error. Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency. "Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm." The Lord "is the Rock, His work is perfect." "Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him." Jeremiah 17:5; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 2:12.
Yup brakelite, you don't have to obey your elder if they teach opposite of what Scripture teaches. That is common sense. If the elder is in good standing with The Church, then you, as Scripture says, must obey them.

1 Corinthians has NOTHING to do with obeying your elders and it doesn't cancel out that command. None the less, thanks for your opinion.