Where does the Pope get his authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now this one really made me smile.....God doesn't care what shape the bread is and that is the point. Your church apparently does, and it is shaped like the sun....Roman sun worship dictated it, as it did with its unholy Sabbath observance on a Sunday....which is NOT the 7th day of the week of the week, is it? Where is the authorization to change the Jewish Sabbath? And where will I find any command for Christians to observe it anyway?
Glad I can make you smile!!

Show me in church teaching where The Church requires the Eucharist to be round or that is round in honor of the Roman sun god and you will have me convinced. Otherwise you just keep repeating your old opinion which is very boring.:oldthread:

Once again
you and your men that started a church 1,800 years ago loosely based on the teachings of Christ are wrong and all of Christianity disagrees with you. For us Christians the Sabbath is, as Scripture and historical Christian writings show us, the Lords Day and the Lords Day is on Sunday.

You do realize that the Jewish Sabbath has not changed sooooo I can't answer your question based on a false premise.

There is no command for us Christians to observe the Jewish Sabbath sooooo you won't find it.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no tough decisions except for those who swallow lies, like candy.
The body of Christ was sacrificed, but his body was never seen again. The tomb was empty except for the bandages and head cloth in which his body was laid in the tomb.
Speaking about himself, John "stooped to look in, and saw the linen wrappings lying there; however he did not go in.

So Simon Peter also came, following him, and he entered the tomb; and he looked at the linen wrappings lying there, and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings but folded up in a place by itself."
(John 20:1-10)

Jews did not bury their dead in shrouds but in linen wrappings like bandages. There was a separate cloth that covered his head.

Which also makes the "shroud of Turin" a fake.

Jesus was raised “in the spirit” (in a spirit body) so as to return to his Father in heaven." (1 Peter 3:18)

Paul understood what the Catholic church fails to acknowledge....that eating literal flesh and drinking literal blood is against God’s law. Those whom Christ rejects at the judgment are said to be “workers of lawlessness”....that is, breaking God’s laws with impunity. This is only one of many breaches of God’s law by the RCC...there are many more.
Ummmmmm......would you care to address my questions? Or continue to bloviate with nonsensical off topic rhetoric?

Jesus said this IS my body while holding up the bread. Paul asked the question, The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? Your answer to Paul is, NO Paul! It is NOT a communion of the body of Christ. It is a symbol of His body.

So should I believe Jesus and Paul? Or should I believe you?

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they know the Word, why are they still Catholics?
Because they know the Word. The Catholic Church is the original Church founded by Christ and holds the majority of Christians today (About 1.4 Billion). The Catholic Church received the deposit of faith (Divine Revelation) from Christ, Himself. Even a cursory study of the Early Church Fathers (Christians in the first 4 centuries) shows they were clearly Catholic. If one was Christian for the first 1000 years of Christianity one was Catholic because that's all there was. In 1054 A.D., the Orthodox splintered off, but retained Apostolic Authority, and, therefore, all seven Sacraments given mankind by Christ. Protestantism didn't begin till the 16th century and has continually splintered every since into literally tens of thousands of man-made, doctrinally disagreeing denominations.

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because they know the Word. The Catholic Church is the original Church founded by Christ and holds the majority of Christians today (About 1.4 Billion). The Catholic Church received the deposit of faith (Divine Revelation) from Christ, Himself. Even a cursory study of the Early Church Fathers (Christians in the first 4 centuries) shows they were clearly Catholic. If one was Christian for the first 1000 years of Christianity one was Catholic because that's all there was. In 1054 A.D., the Orthodox splintered off, but retained Apostolic Authority, and, therefore, all seven Sacraments given mankind by Christ. Protestantism didn't begin till the 16th century and has continually splintered every since into literally tens of thousands of man-made, doctrinally disagreeing denominations.
The Catholic departure from scripture was germain to the Reformation. The church being old is no guarantee that it won't stray (and it did). As I noted in post #757 of this thread:

1. Calling the priests "father" is forbidden. (Matt. 23:9)
2. Praying repetitively using rosary beads is forbidden. (Matt. 6:7)
3. Teaching that Mary the virgin Mary never had sex after Jesus was born and that Jesus had no brothers and sisters is untrue. (Matt. 13:55-56)(Matt. 1:24-25)
4. Worshipping idols, icons and images violates the 2nd commandment. (Exodus 20:4-5)
5. Human tradition and man-made doctrine is apostacy. (Mark 7:7-9)
6. Praying to Mary and the Saints is idolatry (1 Tim. 2:5)
7. Teaching that Mary was born sinless and lived a sinless life. This is absurd, of course, because she was 100% human and no person is righteous (Romans 3:10).
8. Praying to dead people (Mary & Saints) is forbidden and an abomination. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12; Leviticus 20:6,27; 1 Samuel 28:5-18; Isaiah 8:19-20)
9. Purgatory does not exist in the Bible. It is a Catholic fund raiser through the unbiblical selling of indulgences.
10. Confessing sins to a priest to obtain absolution for sins is forbidden (Mark 2:5-11)

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pope is a child of Satan just like the Pharisees (as Jesus pointed out several times). They want to be glorified and think they can make and change God's commands and standards/boundaries as they see fit.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic departure from scripture was germain to the Reformation. The church being old is no guarantee that it won't stray (and it did). As I noted in post #757 of this thread:

3. Teaching that Mary the virgin Mary never had sex after Jesus was born and that Jesus had no brothers and sisters is untrue. (Matt. 13:55-56)(Matt. 1:24-25)
4. Worshipping idols, icons and images violates the 2nd commandment. (Exodus 20:4-5)
7. Teaching that Mary was born sinless and lived a sinless life. This is absurd, of course, because she was 100% human and no person is righteous (Romans 3:10).
8. Praying to dead people (Mary & Saints) is forbidden and an abomination. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12; Leviticus 20:6,27; 1 Samuel 28:5-18; Isaiah 8:19-20)
9. Purgatory does not exist in the Bible. It is a Catholic fund raiser through the unbiblical selling of indulgences.
10. Confessing sins to a priest to obtain absolution for sins is forbidden (Mark 2:5-11)
Agreed. We could probably state another 50 reason why catholicism is evil as it does not align with the Word of God.

BTW, I live in Houston, TX too

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Catholic Church never departed from Scripture. It's interesting that this is your perspective. If I'm standing in center field on a baseball field, and you're standing in left field, facing the plate, your perspective would be that I'm standing to your left. The perspective is relational. Christ's truth is not relational. The Catholic Church has never, ever changed a doctrine received from Christ, through the Apostles, who handed it on to their successors, the bishops. If you think the Catholic Church's teachings disagree with Scripture, then it is simply that they disagree with your personal interpretation of Scripture. St. Peter in 2 Peter 1:20-21, warned against personal interpretation of Scripture with regard to forming doctrine. Yet, this is what all Protestants do and end up varying from the original teachings given mankind by Christ. That's why there are so many (10's of 1000's) of man-made denominations and doctrines.

1 Tim 3:15 says that it is the Church that is the "pillar and foundation of truth." Historically, there was but one Church when Paul wrote this, the Catholic Church.

Reactions: Marymog

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic Church never departed from Scripture. It's interesting that this is your perspective. If I'm standing in center field on a baseball field, and you're standing in left field, facing the plate, your perspective would be that I'm standing to your left. The perspective is relational. Christ's truth is not relational. The Catholic Church has never, ever changed a doctrine received from Christ, through the Apostles, who handed it on to their successors, the bishops. If you think the Catholic Church's teachings disagree with Scripture, then it is simply that they disagree with your personal interpretation of Scripture. St. Peter in 2 Peter 1:20-21, warned against personal interpretation of Scripture with regard to forming doctrine. Yet, this is what all Protestants do and end up varying from the original teachings given mankind by Christ. That's why there are so many (10's of 1000's) of man-made denominations and doctrines.

1 Tim 3:15 says that it is the Church that is the "pillar and foundation of truth." Historically, there was but one Church when Paul wrote this, the Catholic Church.
I agree with you that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth. The Catholics, with their indulgences and departures from scripture has caused them to depart and turn onto a deadend road. I was raised in a Catholic family. I was an altar boy and attended Catholic schools and Catechism. I started earnestly reading the Bible when I was in the Army. It was a real eye opener. I realized how drummed up most of the Catechism teachings were, as well as many doctrinal issues. So, I left the Catholic Chuch. I have been a Protestant now for over 50 years and the Catholic Church just seems to keep departing from Scripture. I consider Scripture as KJV with no additions or changes. Also, the denial and hiding of clergy pedophiles is abhorrent. I wish you the best and hope you find the truth.

Reactions: marks

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At that time it wasn’t his literal body though, was it?.....he was still alive.

There are no tough decisions except for those who swallow lies, like candy.
The body of Christ was sacrificed, but his body was never seen again. The tomb was empty except for the bandages and head cloth in which his body was laid in the tomb.
Speaking about himself, John "stooped to look in, and saw the linen wrappings lying there; however he did not go in.

So Simon Peter also came, following him, and he entered the tomb; and he looked at the linen wrappings lying there, and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings but folded up in a place by itself."
(John 20:1-10)

Jews did not bury their dead in shrouds but in linen wrappings like bandages. There was a separate cloth that covered his head.

Which also makes the "shroud of Turin" a fake.

Jesus was raised “in the spirit” (in a spirit body) so as to return to his Father in heaven." (1 Peter 3:18)

Paul understood what the Catholic church fails to acknowledge....that eating literal flesh and drinking literal blood is against God’s law. Those whom Christ rejects at the judgment are said to be “workers of lawlessness”....that is, breaking God’s laws with impunity. This is only one of many breaches of God’s law by the RCC...there are many more.

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you are missing is that it was NOT leavened bread....the raising agent in bread is leaven. No leaven means “flat” bread.
The Passover bread was "unleavened" (Ex 12:8) ....that is what Jesus said symbolized his sinless body.
Hmmmm...I'm sure I typed unleavened bread but apparently it got autocorrected :IDK:

I should have double checked....

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what he said was “spiritual”...not to be taken literally, because that is what caused many to walk away at that time, thoroughly disgusted. He knew that the apostles were worried about his statement as well, so he explained that his sayings were “spirit and life”....so they stayed and came to understand what he meant because they knew who he was.
Nope, not true Jane. They took Him literally and that is why they walked away.

Throughout John’s 6, the verb “to eat” is used 12 times to describe eating manna in the desert, eating the bread of life, and eating Christ’s flesh. Up until verse 54, the verb in the original Greek text of the gospel has been the same: φάγω (“phago”), which translates “to eat.” But in verse 55, when the crowd is already confused and murmuring, Christ changes the verb He uses to τρώγω (“trógó”), which translates “to gnaw, munch, or crunch.” So LINQUISTICS proves your theory wrong.

In the bread of life discourse He TOLD us that we must eat him and he compared himself to the manna (bread) that came down from heaven. At the Last Supper he SHOWED us HOW to eat him when he said this (the bread) IS my body. Thirty years later Paul asked the rhetorical question, The bread that we break, is it not a sharing in the body of Christ? So SCRIPTURE proves your theory wrong.

He told you what to do and showed you how to do it but you still reject Him. Why?

We have a student of an Apostle that said the bread taken at communion is the flesh of Christ. Also, around 155AD Christians were accused of being cannibals at their church service. That means from Christ thru the first 120 years of Christianity the teachings of The Church then as they are today; the bread IS His body. Christian history proves you wrong.

Speaking the truth (instead of opinions) using linguistics, Scripture and history to destroy your opinions...........Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they know the Word, why are they still Catholics?
Hey Adrift,

Do you believe that any man can read Scripture, interpret it properly to KNOW the Truth?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been a Protestant now for over 50 years and the Catholic Church just seems to keep departing from Scripture. I consider Scripture as KJV with no additions or changes. Also, the denial and hiding of clergy pedophiles is abhorrent. I wish you the best and hope you find the truth.
Hey Adrift,

What Protestant man has revealed the Truth of Scripture to you?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. We could probably state another 50 reason why catholicism is evil as it does not align with the Word of God.

BTW, I live in Houston, TX too
Which Protestant denomination aligns with the Word of God?

Curious Mary

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Adrift,

Do you believe that any man can read Scripture, interpret it properly to KNOW the Truth?

Curious Mary
Yes, those who are not mentally challenged and with help from the Holy Spirit.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Where does the Pope get his authority?​

From the same place as all other cults.
What man with authority do you listen to when it comes to the proper interpretation of Scripture?